Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Schism Between The Schools...

edited March 2011 in Philosophy
I won't mention any names (Dakini), but someone really wants me to start a thread on the Schism of the schools, Theravada, Mayahana, etc. From my understanding, this is an okay topic to discuss as long as it's on an appropriate thread, so here it is. Hope it's in the correct section.

SO: Schism between the schools..... Discuss.

;)

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    People think differently. The Buddha was only one man. Later enlightened masters thought there were different ways to teach or think of reality that would also be appropriate. The Buddha's teachings went one way, variations (some subtle, some not) under his name went others.
    That's how it seems, anyway. And that's all I'll say to it! :)
  • I don't think the differences between Mahayana and Theravada can be described as or attributed to schism. Mahayana sees itself as a development based on Theravada, an expansion, if you will, or a development of themes that are perhaps not as explicitly stated in Theravada.

Jason is our go-to-guy for the earliest real schism in the pre-Theravada sangha. If somebody can get him to join in here, he would doubtless be able to tell us about that.

I read some of Jason's blog yesterday and today and it's pretty good stuff.
  • I personally, and I assume others too, have difficulty in figuring out which path is correct. I know "correct" is a poor choice of words, there is no "wrong" path, but I do study all paths in an attempt to gain some insight on this, to determine which path is for me. Without fully understanding WHY paths went separate ways, it is difficult for me to choose a path of practice.

I realize of course that I don't HAVE to choose a path, but understanding the fundamentals behind the differences are important for me to learn. More out of the desire to be educated on the history of Buddhism I suppose, than it is for my personal practice.
  • I don't think the differences between Mahayana and Theravada can be described as or attributed to schism. Mahayana sees itself as a development based on Theravada, an expansion, if you will, or a development of themes that are perhaps not as explicitly stated in Theravada.

Jason is our go-to-guy for the earliest real schism in the pre-Theravada sangha. If somebody can get him to join in here, he would doubtless be able to tell us about that.

I read some of Jason's blog yesterday and today and it's pretty good stuff.
    Who is this Jason, and where can I find his blog SherabDorje?

• Don't look at the destination. You cannot see it. Judge the path for how it applies to you today. Tomorrow are more bridges but you don't need to worry about them (yet).
  • Jason is one of the new moderators, formerly known only as God Emperor. :)

We may have to wait for him to come along or hunt him down on the site here- I didn't bookmark his blog. Somebody will know how to find him pretty promptly, I think.
  • Jeff, I'm not looking so much at the destination as I am the origination. That's what I really want to understand. Although, in my defense, I posted this because Dakini was too chicken to. :p But it is something I am interested in learning about as well I have to admit.
  • Both Therevada and Mahayana are branches of buddhism. The Pali Canon was canonized I believe 200? years after buddha's death. I am not aware when the Mahayana canon(s?) were canonized.

Time has passed and of course the world has changed. Nobody from 2000 years ago is here today. It is naive to think things haven't changed.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @SherabDorje, Jason's not a newbie moderator, just ShiftPlusOne and myself. Jason's been around a while. :)
  • edited March 2011
    Found Jason's blog- not exactly "light reading", if you know what I mean, but it's interesting once you get into it...

http://leavesinthehand.blogspot.com/2010/12/puggalavada-brief-look.html

So I guess Jason is still just God Emperor then? :)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    the Schism can be seen due to different understandings & teachings

Emptiness: emptiness of self vs empty of thought or "imputing"

Nirvana: end of greed, hated & delusion vs nothingness

Dependent origination: 12 conditions for suffering vs interconnectedness/interbeing

Monks: only give free teachings & not allowed to use money vs monks charging money for teachings & possessing money

Monks: not allowed to eat after noon v monks eating anytime

Monks: disrobed for having sex vs monks getting a slap on the wrist for only bad sex

Honor: the Eightfold Path vs angels, gods, gurus, bodhisatvas, etc

Salvation: via own efforts vs via angels, gods, gurus, bodhisatvas, Jesus, etc

Politics: prohibition vs being the political leader of a feudal nation

Longevity: firmly established in Sri Lanka, Burma & Thailand vs basically destroyed in Tibet, China & Japan due to involvement in politics

The Teacher: The Lord Buddha vs Nargajuna, Atisha, Shantideva, etc

Nirvana: Nirvana vs Samsara

Samsara: Samsara vs Nirvana

Liberation: dispassion vs non-imputing

Vipassana: direct seeing vs analytical reasoning

:wtf:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @SherabDorje, Well I'm sure he's still God Emperor. :) He is a moderator, I didn't mean he wasn't! I meant he's not a "newbie" moderator. He's been a mod for a while (at least as early as 2006).
  • the Schism can be seen due to different understandings & teachings

Emptiness: emptiness of self vs empty of thought or "imputing"

Dependent origination: 12 conditions for suffering vs interconnectedness/interbeing

Monks: only give free teachings & not allowed to use money vs monks charging money for teachings & possessing money

Monks: not allowed to eat after noon v monks eating anytime

Monks: disrobed for having sex vs monks getting a slap on the wrist for only bad sex

Politics: prohibition vs being the political leader of a feudal nation

Longevity: firmly established in Sri Lanka, Burma & Thailand vs basically destroyed in Tibet, China & Japan due to involvement in politics

:wtf:
    Is the order of your comparisons Theravada vs. Mahayana?

• Dharma Dhatu I encourage you to research the mahayana.
  • Yes
  • Burden of proof is on Dharma Dhatu for his assertions
  • Funny, because I had to ask the order of comparison for the very reason that some of what DharmaDhatu said I've heard and read, and some are quite the opposite of my understanding.

Unfortunately, this only increases my confusion.

But that is exactly the type of breakdown I was looking for, but I'd like one based on scripture I suppose vs. someone's opinion.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Everyone remember that each poster is just giving their opinions. If it turns into a massive fight over opinions, the posts will all be deleted. Chill out! :) Asking for more information's okay, asking for clarification, expressing a different opinion, but don't fight.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Actually, the burden falls on Jeffrey

Example: the Dalai Lama was the political leader of feudal nation (and is still actively engaged in attempting to reclaim that role). Such a role is forbidden in Theravada

Example: The Heart Sutra teaches nothingness. The arguement it teaches no inherent existence is obviously false because the Heart Sutra includes Nirvana in it and Nirvana has inherent existence

Each of my assertions are plainly obvious

:)

• I am not allowed to discuss with you Dhamma Dhatu. Sorry.
  • Hmmm... definitely don't want arguing, it would wreck a good thread. But I think a healthy debate is interesting and these are the very differences I am hoping to learn more about. image
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Discussion is okay, a bloody fight is not. That derails the thread and brings hostility where there wasn't any. We all need to just calm down and not act from a center of aversion.

• Emptiness: emptiness of self vs empty of thought or "imputing"

Where do you get that?

Why do you say nothingness? Can you support?

are you aware that Mahayana teaches 12 conditions for suffering?

Are you aware the eightfold path is taught in the mahayana.

Are you aware that effort is part of the 6 paramitas?

Are you aware that the mahayana also venerates buddha? And his teachings?

8 worldly winds you are attached to...

this is not how meditation is taught in my sangha
  • Liberation: dispassion vs non-imputing

Dispassion is the concentration paramita and insight is the wisdom paramita...

What do you mean by non-imputing?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2011
    OK, gang, laurajean beat me to it, here's the OP I was planning for the schism thread:

100 years after the Buddha's Parinirvana, the 2nd Council (sangayana) convened in Vesali, India, to discuss controversial points of the Vinaya. The first schism occurs, over reluctance of some to accept the suttras and Vinaya as the final authority on the Buddha's teaching. [what other possible authority there could be wasn't give in my source--D] Those who don't accept the suttras and Vinaya as the final authority on the Buddha's teachings later evolve into the Mahayana tradition.

www.accesstoinsight.org/history.html

@DD: Celibacy for monks is the rule for both southern and northern Buddhists. Application of sanctions appears to be more lax for northern Buddhists, but southern Buddhists are hardly free of scandal and misconduct themselves.

Does anyone know anything about this business of the schismatics refusing to accept the suttras and Vinaya as the final authority on the BUddhas teaching? What other authority would there be?
  • In my teachers teaching clarity openness and sensitivity is an authority in a sense but thats misleading because clarity openness and sensitivity is also the nature of our awareness.

This is what the buddha meant at his death 'be a light unto yourself'.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Have you ever heard the koan "If a man is in the middle of nowhere and is wife is not there... Is he wrong when he says something?"
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Cute, but your teacher wasn't around at the time of the Second Council. ;)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    At what council were the Vinaya and Sutras canonized and how long after Buddha's death?

The Catholic Church also makes the argument that it is the true doctrine relative to the protestants. And then there are jews. And universal universalists. Mormons.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    At what council were the Vinaya and Sutras canonized and how long after Buddha's death?
    Click onto the reference I gave, and find out, J.

Yeah, it seems to be human nature to argue and split off. :(
  • So they decided what the buddha had taught in 80 years and a conglomeration of monks WROTE the sutras.

Maybe those that split off didn't like how things were going down.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    So they decided what the buddha had taught in 80 years and a conglomeration of monks WROTE the sutras.

Maybe those that split off didn't like how things were going down.
    Well, they didn't, but I'd like to know more about why they didn't.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I'm more worried about the here and now. I am not interested in an idea of purity. I can tell you that the here and now? Its not pure :p No reason to think it was different back then haha. This is the world you get. Thats the beginning of the buddhist path.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Well, this is a historical question we raised, not a here-and-now question. Anyone not into history can pass on this thread.
  • Yes my post I hope deflated any mythology that one branch was pure and one impure.
  • Pure and impure are maybe not the best words. There can only be one original word of the Buddha and his teachings, right? If a sect separated and formed their own version, I guess that would be what you call "impure".

I don't know, it's a tough one. I am very interested in the history/original teachings, but I don't know if it'll ever be really possible to know.

But if I am going to follow the path of the Buddha, it's a logical question to wonder exactly what that path was, and if anyone deviated from it against his teachings, I'd want to know.
  • I think you should get an original chicken philly... go to philadelphia and you'll laugh.
  • Cryptic.

I wish you well on your search. The origin of buddhism is the present moment.
  • I think it's completely fair and appropriate historical/technical question. Can we just get on with answering it?
  • Well, I've been a Vegetarian for 25 years, so it's not likely I'll have a chicken philly any time soon.

Why post something cryptic?

You seem to not like the discussion of wanting to know the history of Buddhism. To me, that's like telling someone I enjoy doing genealogy research (which I do) and then when they ask what got me into genealogy saying to them "Never mind about that; the point is that I like it now".

Just don't see what's wrong with wanting to understand the history of a major part of our lives. Maybe YOU don't care about the schism of it, but I for one find it very interesting. I feel like you're mocking us a bit here. Why?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I'm sorry I felt revulsion at the idea of an 'original' stream. And at the equation of original with pure. In philadelphia there is about 500 restaurants that sell 'the original chicken philly'...
  • Okay, I get the reference. I used to live in NYC in there was "real NY pizza" on every corner too.

But still, why not respect those who are interested in the historical aspects of Buddhism? It's not fast food, it's something near and dear to peoples' hearts.

To some, the historical aspect of it is very important.

By the way, I never made any equation with original and pure, just for the record. I'd have to read back to see who did, but it doesn't really matter, it's still their opinion.
  • I apologize. To me there is no purity in samsara. But if you look for the original stream in the dimension of the dharma with no idea of pleasure pain, gain loss, fame infamy, or praise blame...

In that case you will definitely find it.

I'm not into history. My mom always tries me to get excited about being related to Genghis Khan or something but I don't get it.

I think I over reacted. Carry on. We all make mistakes. :buck:
  • See, now I love history! And I am the family genealogist, so maybe that's a factor for my interest in the history of Buddhism.

Anyway, no harm no foul. image

But I think SherabDorje put it best when he said "...I think it's completely fair and appropriate historical/technical question. Can we just get on with answering it?..."

So back to the topic...
  • Inspired by SherabDorje's prodding, I tried to find more details about the schism online, and haven't found anything so far.
  • Yeah CW, I've found it's difficult to get details on it also.