Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism in a Nutshell: Part 2

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited March 2011 in Buddhism Basics
(If you don't feel like reading all of this, skip to paragraph 3)

I walked into a small used book store today. As I entered, the clerk and owner of the store, a man in his late 50's-earl 60's, welcomed me. He offered me help if I needed it and then I went on my way. I scoured the bookstore looking for the religion, spirituality, and philosophy section and eventually found it. I searched through the bookshelf full of books until I found a couple that interested me - each being 4 dollars. I called my mother to come pick me up from the store and then headed out to the front desk.

Out sat an old wooden chair in which I sat down in. The man said hello to me again, and after a small awkward silence, we began talking. After a while, we got to talking about me and Buddhism. He asked me one of the simplest questions a person could ask, and yet I couldn't answer it: How do you practice Buddhism? I sort of sat there a minute and then looked at the man and said, "You know, I really don't know how to answer this. Its such a wide subject - though, I think the key is being mindful. By mindful, I mean living in the moment, observing and questioning everything." He said that seemed like a sufficient answer and we kept talking and then went on our merry ways.

Though, it bothered me that I could not answer this simple question. When people ask me to define Buddhism, I can't do it. So, can you explain Buddhist concepts, such as Emptiness and Mindfulness in just a paragraph or two? How would you explain it to someone in a nutshell?

Comments

• Avoid harm
    Cultivate goodness
    Purify the mind
    This is the teaching of all Buddhas

:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Inscribe that on your arm, look at it like you would a watch, and the rest should be a cinch....!
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Avoid harm
    Cultivate goodness
    Purify the mind

Yes, but one could do these things without ever hearing of Buddhism.

• zenffzenff Veteran
    Avoid harm
    Cultivate goodness
    Purify the mind

YES!
    That’s the brilliant part!
    What about the teachings of emptiness and mindfulness??
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    The deepest teachings are completely present in our everyday activities.
    Thinking about them is relatively pointless.

I suppose.

We need some trust in our practice.

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Purify the mind...probably not. Only realising emptiness can purify the mind.

• Avoid harm
    Cultivate goodness
    Purify the mind

YES!
    That’s the brilliant part!
    I agree. Buddhism is so ordinary, that it makes it extraordinary, if that makes sense. There's actually nothing very special about Buddhism; it's a way of life that any compassionate person would want to live. It's so logical that people are mystified by it. "What, LOGICAL? That's crazy!".
    You don't understand what I'm asking. How would you guys concisely explain Buddhism and its principals (other than just saying BE GOOD) to a person who doesn't understand Buddhism without getting long-winded.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Easy. Everything is impermanent including ourselves, constantly changing and dependent upon everything else. There's nothing to hold on to, but we try and find or make permanence in an ever-changing reality. This causes us all kinds of mental suffering. When we understand this, the mind relaxes and lets go, leading to a state of complete liberation called Nirvana.
    Easy. Everything is impermanent including ourselves, constantly changing and dependent upon everything else. There's nothing to hold on to, but we try and find or make permanence in an ever-changing reality. This causes us all kinds of mental suffering. When we understand this, the mind relaxes and lets go, leading to a state of complete liberation called Nirvana.
    Wonderful as always, Cloud. Just what I was looking for. :)

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Welcome my friend. :D
  • Fix what you can but you don't have to fix you? Struggling.... Ah struggle! I know struggle! Struggle when you gotta and don't get distracted by the speed and the heights. Just breath. Your at the height of your powers. And thankfully.