Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Robina Courtin, TB nun is an extremist?

hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
edited March 2011 in General Banter
What do you think?

Comments

• um...who is she? can you provide some background info?
  • BTW, from what I've read, the Buddha was considered a bit of an extremist in his day, a social radical. All for abolishing the caste system, and made the hitherto unthinkable decision to include nuns on an equal footing with monks. If one commits oneself wholeheartedly to compassion, it can upset the status quo.
  • Robina Courtin (born Melbourne, Australia, 20 December 1944), is a Buddhist nun in the Tibetan Buddhist Gelugpa tradition and lineage of Lama Thubten Yeshe and Lama Zopa Rinpoche. In 1996 she founded Liberation Prison Project, which she ran until 2009.

Source: Robina Courtin Wikipedia Page
  • edited March 2011
    Thank you, dorje. So what about her would be considered "extremist"? Why is this question arising?
  • Maybe because DD called her an extremist in one of the threads. Not really sure why too. Not really interested in ad hominem attacks.
  • Yes, someone did call her extremist, I think it wasnt DD. I have heard some of her talks. Dont find it extremist. That's why I am seeking other members' opinion.
  • maybe being an extremist in a world full of cruelty and exploitation is a good thing.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Maybe because DD called her an extremist in one of the threads.
    Why? Never heard anyone give such forceful dogmatic talks on karma as Robina and never heard anyone refer to the "Buddha" so often about things the Buddha never said.

When the Dalai Lama teaches notions from Tibetan Buddhism, he generally states they are from "Tibetan" Buddhism.

But Robina learns Tibetan Buddhism and then teaches The Buddha taught those things that are unique to Tibetan Buddhism.

Many men (and women) are impressed by a forceful woman. Personally, as an Aussie, I like firm women but not aggressive borish Aussies who sound like they are a footy coach.

:)
  • Who's the Tibetan guy sitting near her?
    What's aggressive about her? This is what women teachers sound like, in my limited experience, except her ideas seem...different.
  • edited March 2011

Okay... just saying DD that's so completely off skilter. Here you can see that she repeatedly says "and this up to interpretation" and "if you learn something the buddha said, but you disagree with it, then dismiss it." Also "it's logical, put on your logic caps and take it thoughtfully rather than with trust."

I would agree that she is pretty straightforward and she states things as fact, but she states that it is up to YOU to interpret her words true or false. I fail to see what is dogmatic about that.

You post a video in which you do not back yourself up, you post this argument with any solid proof, and thus I think you need to develop this a little more before you label her a boring aussie who sounds like a fooshie coach (whatever that is).

Also I am quite curious as to why this question is even posed? Sure she founded a prison system in which she and her staff teach meditation... but what is wrong with simple offerings of rehabilitation and a way for the angry to ease themselves and confront their emotions? I fail to see how if this is extreme this is bad? DD you say this so harshly and yet she obviously is human and hence if she has mistakes in her lectures albeit, it is up to YOU again, to decide the validity and to trust her words or not. I however think that a lot of her teachings are straight on and she presents it in such a logical manner.
    edited March 2011
    "if you learn something the buddha said, but you disagree with it, then dismiss it."

DD you say this so harshly...
    Sure. I acknowledge I sounded harsh. But the Buddha did not say the things Robina keeps asserting the Buddha said.

• I would agree that she is pretty straightforward and she states things as fact, but she states that it is up to YOU to interpret her words true or false. I fail to see what is dogmatic about that.
    Robina is spot on. She puts Buddhism in reach of our Western mind and the way we think. The thing that she insists is that 'it's up you'. If it works - use it. If not, try something else. Don't just become religious and expect that by repeating something that some sort of change will take place.
  • edited March 2011

Sure. I acknowledge I sounded harsh. But the Buddha did not say the things Robina keeps asserting the Buddha said.
    I didn't notice her saying that the Buddha said this or that. I noticed her saying frequently "the Buddha /would/ say..." There's a difference.

• Robina is a favorite of mine and I think she offers a refreshing female, western perspective on Tibetan Buddhism. I find her talks particularly practical and straightforward.
  • @pineblossom right I agree. :)She is showing that buddhism isn't some mystical what you're told is how it is religion. I think as a westerner that phrasing sounds more attractive and dismisifies a lot.

DD, show me what the buddha did and did not say. Robina poses what the buddha, as CW said, WOULD have said, and sure that is opinion (obviously), it also puts the buddha's words more into today's context. From what I listened to from the video posted. there was no direct misrepresentation of the buddha's words, but rather interpretation further into how we see ourselves and perceive our mind today
  • I didn't notice her saying that the Buddha said this or that. I noticed her saying frequently "the Buddha /would/ say..." There's a difference.
    Both are the same. The Buddha did not teach those things. They are "Tibetan" Buddhism.

edited March 2011
    DD, show me what the buddha did and did not say.
    Best you do your own work, practise, realisation & study.

If you wish to blindly believe the numerous irrational notions asserted by Robina, such as the mind having no relationship to the body, then that is your choice.

The body has a nervous system. When a toe is stubbed, it hurts. This shows the mind is related to the body.

When teenagers have physical & hormonal changes in puberty, the minds become preoccupied with sexual things. This shows the mind is related to the body.

In brief, Robina has no idea about what she is talking about and is merely parroting Tibetan teachings about karma & rebirth.

As Robina said, I may reject what she said. At least here, we can agree.

• pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited March 2011
    "If you wish to blindly believe the numerous irrational notions asserted by Robina, such as the mind having no relationship to the body, then that is your choice

In brief, Robina has no idea about what she is talking about and is merely parroting Tibetan teachings about karma & rebirth".

You miss the whole point of Buddhism here.

Perhaps such statement says more about you than about Robina.
    edited March 2011
    If you believe the whole point of Buddhism is karma & rebirth, you miss the whole point of Buddhism

If you can find me a reported teaching of the Lord Buddha, which states the whole point of Buddhism is karma & rebirth, then I may possibly have some regard for what you appear to be asserting.

Perhaps your statements says the same about you as they do for Robina. That is, parroting unverified speculative views designed to keep people moral.

In brief, most of what Robina was asserting cannot be verified. It is blind faith.

If you believe the whole point of Buddhism is blind faith, you miss the whole point of Buddhism here.

:-/
  • If you believe the whole point of Buddhism is karma & rebirth, you miss the whole point of Buddhism (imo).

If you can find me a reported teaching of the Lord Buddha, which states the whole point of Buddhism is karma & rebirth, then I may possibly have some regard for what you appear to be asserting.

Perhaps your statements says the same about you as they do for Robina. That is, parroting unverified speculative views designed to keep people moral.

/
    I did not hear Robina say anything about karma or rebirth or about 'keeping people moral'. Maybe I missed something on the tape.

What I did question is your claim that Robina 'had no idea about what she is talking'.
  • Either did I. It was me who said karma & rebirth is about 'keeping people moral'.

But Robina is ranting on about the mind having no connection to the body and some speculative view about an unending stream of consciousness.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

Many men (and women) are impressed by a forceful woman. Personally, as an Aussie, I like firm women but not aggressive borish Aussies who sound like they are a footy coach.

i feel this comment to be completely out of line. the fact that she is a woman has nothing to do with her teachings as a dharma teacher. people are people, teachers are teachers. some might be more aggressive, some might say things that you do not agree with... but it has nothing to do with their gender. the only correlation between such things takes place in your own mind and your ideas of where it is appropriate for men and women to fall on the spectrum of aggression. what is even more disparaging to me is that your first sentence seems to imply that she is only a person of note BECAUSE she is a woman, albeit a forceful one. as if were she a man, people would not be impressed by her "gimmick" of aggression.

i don't mean to attack you DD, but rather, i ask a favor. please investigate your comments and think about why you feel the way you do about her. outright sexism is mostly disparaged these days, but the inner beliefs that people seem to hold to about what is appropriate for gender roles is mostly unacknowledged. the very fact that we never seem to talk or notice it on this very minute scale is the reason that it has persisted so long.

• But Robina is ranting on about the mind having no connection to the body and some speculative view about an unending stream of consciousness.

She's right. But as Robina says, don't take her word for it, investigate it yourself.

You might like to analyse if the mind is located in your big toe, or left ear lobe. If not there, then where is it located? If you go searching for it you will not find it.

On the other hand you might follow your own stream of consciousness. If you were particularly alert you might trace back everything that has passed through your mind in the last hour. Try going back a day or two - or years. Something is happening here that seems continuous - that one moment of thought is immediately followed by another, and another - so fast that we are barely aware of them. It is only when we become aware of our ceaseless activity that we became aware of the mind.

But no one can convince you of any of this you - you have to do that yourself - as the Buddha suggested.

• DD said...
    "If you believe the whole point of Buddhism is karma & rebirth, you miss the whole point of Buddhism
    In brief, most of what Robina was asserting cannot be verified. It is blind faith. "

I feel there is much to be learned from the various schools of Buddhism. To so completely discard all the teachings of a particular point of view in the name of your aversion strikes me as unwise. I personally do not accept all of her teachings but have nonetheless found many pearls of wisdom.
    edited March 2011
    On the other hand you might follow your own stream of consciousness. If you were particularly alert you might trace back everything that has passed through your mind in the last hour.
    Like Robina, you have incorrectly lumped all mental phenomema into the word 'consciousness'.

Consciousness is sense awareness. That is all. What you are referring to is memory.

It is impossible to trace back everything the mind was conscious of in the last hour. All one can trace back are those sensory (conscious) experiences that impinged upon the memory.

As I said, what you & Robina are talking about has nothing to do with reality or the Buddha.

My mind's last arising of sense consciousness has ceased forever.

:eek2:
    edited March 2011
    i don't mean to attack you DD, but rather, i ask a favor. please investigate your comments and think about why you feel the way you do about her.
    I have. If I had not, I would not have written what i did

edited March 2011
    This conversation started on another thread, where it was said:
    Karma; you dont get away with nothing as Robina Courtin , tibetan monk would put it.
    I fully disagree with such an emphatic statement.

Karma is a mere lesson. A karmic lesson can last a mere moment and, if learned fully, the karma ends forever.

The Buddha was interested in beings ending karma rather than drowning in it.

Kind regards

...... A karmic lesson can last a mere moment and, if learned fully, the karma ends forever.

Kind regards

Definately !

• The Buddha was interested in beings ending karma rather than drowning in it.

What you are experiencing now is the karmic result of earlier actions/choices. If you want to change the karmic imprint you have to change the causes. Therefore the Buddha taught avoid harm, develop compassion, purify the mind.
    edited March 2011
    What you are experiencing now is the karmic result of earlier actions/choices.
    What I am experiencing now is the arising of consciousness thru a sense door & the mental comprehension of what is written via perception & intelligence. That is all.
    Then, Bahiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Bahiya, there is no you in terms of that. When there is no you in terms of that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of suffering.

• What you are experiencing now is the karmic result of earlier actions/choices.
    Nowadays, wrong teachings concerning kamma are publicized in books by various Indian and Western writers under titles such as "Kamma and Rebirth." Although they are presented in the name of Buddhism, they are actually about kamma and rebirth as understood in Hinduism. So the right teaching of Buddhism is misrepresented. This should be recognized and corrected so that the Buddhist kamma principle can be preserved in its undistorted essence. The Buddha accepted as correct — that is, as not a wrong understanding of kamma — the half-formed teaching concerning good and evil deeds and their results that was presented before his time and outside his teaching. However, he added to it a final aspect, namely, the end of kamma, which is the essential Buddhist principle, thus completing the teaching on kamma.

http://www.suanmokkh.org/archive/arts/message/kamma1.htm

...... A karmic lesson can last a mere moment and, if learned fully, the karma ends forever.

Kind regards

Definately !

agree, and in my experience it definately takes a level of openness, then commitment, courage and humilty in the face of painful understandings

• What I am experiencing now is the arising of consciousness thru a sense door & the mental comprehension of what is written via perception & intelligence. That is all.
    Are you not llabelling that consciousness which is the result of karma?

You label Robina as 'ranting'.

And then you consciously look for texts to support such labelling.

So I will leave you to your choices.
  • Use of the term ranting is provocative, for sure ... which is rather ironical considering the nature of the discussion
  • edited March 2011

You label Robina as 'ranting'.

Personally I find it best not to take every expression that's used in these discussions too seriously! Words are only provocative if we interpret them that way.
    edited March 2011
    Are you not llabelling that consciousness which is the result of karma?
    Your mind is lost.

The five aggregates are empty (sunnata).

When the five aggregates (including labelling) function free from 'self-view', good & bad karma end.

"Choices": as though what you have said warrants consideration.

Your views are confused, lost in words, lost in doctrine, lost in brainwashing, not coming from any experience of right liberation.

The end of labelling is not Nirvana.

:-/