Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Buddha--An Extremist?

edited March 2011 in Philosophy
The Buddha founded a society of renunciates that rejected the caste system, and committed the heresy of allowing nuns to participate with monks. Was he an extremist? Does it matter? Does a commitment to compassion for all sentient beings result in upsetting the status quo or in rejecting convention?

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Buddhism is revolutionary.

But without you, Buddhism relapses into religious and philosophical nostrums.

You are the revolution.
  • edited March 2011
    "FORWARD TO THE VICTORY OF THE REVOLUTION!" :lol: (Soviet-era slogan)
    Buddhism is revolutionary.

But without you, Buddhism relapses into religious and philosophical nostrums.

You are the revolution.
    So, in that context, then, "extremist" would be a compliment, something good? Maybe we all be extremists on behalf of suffering humanity!
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Well, of course he was an extremist for his time (or rather, a radical). And of course that isn't a bad thing. Hell, fighting for black rights was extreme in America back in the 50's, but people did it anyways.
  • edited March 2011
    I'm gonna suggest Buddha wasn't an extremist. OTHER common people's thinking was being controlled and oppressed by the untra-conservative power elite of the time. I'm just guessing, I'm not an expert. Sounds familiar though, like what's happening today?

Buddhist Flag .Buddhist Flag .Buddhist Flag
  • I'm sure he was able to build bridges to anyone being omniscient... but I wasn't there and that's hard to believe. Though I am sure he observed to see if anyone was receptive. And did what he did. And didn't do what he didn't do.
  • Buddha did what was natural for him.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    He was born, the conditions of the world and his life gave rise to his quest, his discovery of the truth led to his teaching. Everything that happens is natural, brought forth by the stream of change that has been flowing from beginning-less time. Credit and blame are worldly concerns, as are labels and views. Conditionality/Causality is the only master here, and there are in truth no things or people to speak of. :)
  • edited March 2011
    It was Buddha skillful way of modifying the human-made caste system that was not a part of them - is unifying the convention of sexual identity to that of Buddha himself.
  • The Buddha woke up to the truth of existence and spent the rest of his life showing those who would listen this truth.
  • An extremist, in the strictest sense, is a fanatic who can, and will, resort to non-moderate, or uncompromising methods to promote an ideology.

The Buddha was very moderate in all sense of his speech and actions. He taught according to the needs of the community he was addressing the teaching to. He did not reject outright all the norms and mores of the culture he was in at that time. He just disagreed with certain aspects of the conventions of his society.

In effect, Buddha was more a liberal centrist than an extremist.
  • Well spoken, Dorje
  • Buddha Gotama was a prince and throne-to-be who belonged to the highest caste in India, rejoicing the awesome respect, fame, wealth, well educated and knowledgeable, yet choose to live like a lowest caste human being, doing research and actualization of the true love for the well beings of all the castes and cultures that existed in mankind - simply extremist towards complete liberty of humanity, awesome and kudos :wow:
  • He was an extremist until he found the middle path. ;)
  • He was an extremist until he found the middle path. ;)
    LOL! Very true! But still, aspects of his values as manifested in his monastic community were radical in his day.

• Being radical and being extremist are 2 different creatures. being radical means holding a different view. Being extremist mean imposing your view on others no matter the cost.
  • I think what Wednesday was referring to was the Buddha's extreme asceticism, which he abandoned for the middle way.