Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Argg

B5CB5C Veteran
edited March 2011 in Meditation
was unemployed for a few months. I used to practice every day or other day. Now I have a job now and I am trying to practice on my days off which are twice a week. I feel my mind has lapse. I feel trying to reach of the high point of my meditation, but I get so much distractions. Even though I am a quite room. My mind keeps rushing around.

I only do my meditations only when my mother-in-law is not there nor my wife because one: My mother-in-law does not really approve Buddhism. (I live with them) For my wife, she loves to have her music and she thinks my meditation is strange thought. So being there with her causes me to have some disruptions.

Comments

• Sounds challenging. I know a lot of people who just get to say a mantra and remember the practice between jobs and family. I think if you are able to come to a peace about the changes your meditation might in turn calm down. Then again just meditating or remembering your intention can help give you trust again.

I think if your wife understand that your meditation helps your mental health she will be all for it. But if its used against her she will shut it down or try.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I agree. Why not simply explain that you are doing mindfulness meditation to improve your mental and emotional stability and to increase your own compassion and understanding?

Leave out any religious/Buddhist references.
  • Don't worry, this is just what your practice looks like right now. Keep practicing in the way that you are and use your frustration to develop some compassion for yourself. It's natural that your practice doesn't feel as intense as it did when you had little else to take up your time. Know that this is also temporary, and your practice will soon change again!
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    I am retired, and yet I have distractions, mainly what my mind comes up with when I sit and meditate. I rather like the way Thich Nhat Hanh teaches where no matter what you are doing you say, "I breathe in peace; I breathe out peace," always silently. I try it, but my mind wanders. I try using my mantra when I am out in the garden, but my mind wanders. Just saying that you are not alone. Even when we have people in our life that are okay with your beliefs and practice, even when you have time, it isn't easy.
  • @B5C, my wife thinks it's weird as well. I explained the brain science to her and that plenty of Christians meditate as well. I've also explained how to do Cheistian meditation to her. I then took to meditating in the bed room whether she is in there or not. She probably still thinks it's weird but we have a very loving relationship and my meditation practice can only improve on that!
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Ask them to close their eyes for 5 minutes and see how active their minds is.

tell them that meditation is simply to focus the attention on one object only, as opposed to switch frenetically between thoughts like a squirrel on red bulls, so that the mind can slow down and calm down.

so they will stop thinking that you are doing some wacko things and begin to see your meditation as a noble thing, maybe even academical.

Try to do everyday even only a little bit. twice a week doesn't allow to accumulate much momentum.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited March 2011
    plenty of Christians meditate as well.
    Dan Rather, CBS anchor, once asked Mother Teresa what she said to god during her prayers. She answered, "I say nothing, I listen." So Rather turned the question and asked, "Well then, what does God say?" To that Mother Teresa replied, "He says nothing. He listens."

Sure sounds like meditation to me.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Thanks for the encouragement.

Yeah, my mother in law is a bit accepting. She will ignore most of it but I don't do it when she is around for respect of her. I am too much of a nice guy.

As for my wife there is no way I could do anything. She is one of those people who believe the Old Testament is FACT. :P
  • Do you believe in God?

How has it worked in the past between you and your wife and beliefs?
  • Meditation is not exactly what you are thinking it to be. When we meditate there is no goal. We are simply letting go. Surrendering into this moment. Becoming one with this moment beyond human perspective. You do not need to take time out of your day to sit on a pad and meditate. Make it a practice to stay aware of your breath. Be your breath. Thoughts will arise. Do not judge them or try to control them. Just let them be. When you relize your lost in thought simply return awarness to the breath. The breath is here and now. And as you place your awarness on the breath your awarness will be here and now. Simply remain in awarness. I practice this were ever I am. Wether it be at home, with friends, or at my heptic job. I glode through life with a small grin and peace no matter what is happening with in physical manifestation. As long as your remain here and now nothing can hurt you

• B5CB5C Veteran
    Do you believe in God?

How has it worked in the past between you and your wife and beliefs?
    No, I am an Atheist.