Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

COOL for the SITE,A button that you can hit which "bows" at answers, like facebook,but no dislike:)

Maybe bow, or "praise" or something Buddha like? lol. It would be a lot easier if you didn't have time to thank everyone for their posts and show them some appreciation.

Comments

• Moved from general banter.

Wouldn't someone who has the time to click on a button also have the time to type "thanks"?
  • edited March 2011
    @shiftplusone yes.. but it would be kind of nice if you were strapped for time like I'm sure a lot of ppl are. I think it would be good for the sites growth in the big picture possibly. Why do you prefer a thanks to a bow? haha Its so Zen!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Actually, Lincoln got rid of an awful lot of emoticons because basically they clogged up the system and nslowed everything down....
    This one is a good one: :thumbsup:

And if you really feel you need to express yourself more emphatically, try -

:thumbsup: :clap: :bowdown: :rockon:

any combination of those.....

;)
  • At the end of the day, it's up to Lincoln. Keep in mind it's not simply a matter of "make it so" and the new function pops up. This platform is still somewhat in development, so new functionality needs to be coded from scratch. Considering that they are still weeding out the bugs and working on some essential missing features, I don't think any new functionality will be added any time soon. The need for this feature doesn't exceed the hassle of actually implementing it.

Basically, I don't know if this feature is actually necessary when you consider how easy it is to send an emoticon or a thanks and the effort it would take to implement.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I don't think this is off-topic....

My mother brought me up to write the 'bread-and-butter' letter to people. For any kind gesture, such as a gift, or a meal, or anything that merited being grateful to another person for, because they 'put themselves out' to do something nice for you. It cost them time, money, consideration and thought.

So writing a note to say thank you for that gesture, is considerate and thoughtful back.
    It costs little or nothing, and can make that person's day.
    people are always ringing my mother up and thanking her for the unexpected yet delightful note....

She sometimes wishes they'd write.....!
  • @Federica it is much nicer to have a written out response, would be kind of nice if you have a question with 60 answers or so thought to have just a button that sends a "poke" or you know "poke", lol. Face book has it all figured out we know this, REFOOOOOOOORM :D lol.
  • FreeofwantWdumean, bad example. Check the thread about facebook to see how people feel about it. It doesn't seem like people would want newbuddhist to be anything like facebook.
  • edited March 2011
    @shiftplusone bad analogy "praise" (hits button) HA!
  • I think a PM could be sent if the user felt that a thank you would be over the top on a thread. For example if there were too many thank yous in a row, imagine that. I think a thumbs up button makes me feel like I am in the Olympics ice skating or diving.
  • Also from the zen tradition I think _/\_ is a bow, not sure.
  • @Jeffry _/\_ mountain top old boy?
  • nah circum navigation of the stupa. I am studying Tibetan Buddhism. But to your question some rehabilitation is the current program in my life.
  • Moved from general banter.

Wouldn't someone who has the time to click on a button also have the time to type "thanks"?
    Wouldn't this feature be more gimmick than convenience?

• @Jeffery Circumnavigation is one word good chap! I find it very interesting, it's a prayer, walking in circles around a monument?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    It takes awareness to know where to put the center of the stupa. They usually have a great being do this. The stupa can magnify karma and so the aspirations of the participants are very important.