Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My Sister feels Useless!

edited January 2006 in Buddhism Today
My youngest sister is overwhelmed by a feeling of uselessness and feeling the need to save the world at the same time.

I've been working with her on being mindful of the present moment, but I think that her life has been awash with constant worry and frustrations, making it difficult for her to be mindful of anything other than "what will happen", "what has already happened", "where is my life going?", "I havent done anything to help anybody", "I'm not happy", "I dont know what I want, let alone what would make me happy".

So shes unhappy.

So I suggested that we try to think in small steps. Instead of learning to conduct a symphony, first lets get a wand. Then worry about the next step of getting people who play instruments.

She seems to jump way ahead of herself and decides its a failure before she trys. And I can see why...because a lot of her ideas are...FAntastical!! "LETS SAVE THE WORLD!!" Ok, now what?

I've suggested that maybe she should worry about making herself happy first, but shes having difficulty in figuring out what exactly that entails.

My next suggestion was, take a first step in finding something everyday that would better herself, no matter how small.

Does anyone have any ideas of small-things that one could do in a single day that would better yourself?

I told her that before she can help anyone else, she has to help herself first. I think a part of her understands this, but another part of her is having trouble letting go of the things she can not control.

Any advice???? :thumbsup:

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    "The secret awaits for eyes unclouded by longing"....

In order to be helped, she first has to recognise - I mean, really recognise and accept - that she has a problem. if she thinks it's all beyond her, or that there is no hope, inspite of what anyone says - in short, if she is constantly "yes, but" - ing, then you have an uphill struggle....
    Some delight in remaining where they are because however intense the pain, it is a state they are familiar with.

How do your parents feel about her situation? And - importantly - how old is she?
  • edited December 2005
    federica wrote:
    "The secret awaits for eyes unclouded by longing"....

In order to be helped, she first has to recognise - I mean, really recognise and accept - that she has a problem. if she thinks it's all beyond her, or that there is no hope, inspite of what anyone says - in short, if she is constantly "yes, but" - ing, then you have an uphill struggle....
    Some delight in remaining where they are because however intense the pain, it is a state they are familiar with.

How do your parents feel about her situation? And - importantly - how old is she?
    She is 18.

My parents dont really know the extent of her feelings of uselessness. She tends to hide it from others in our family. She spoke to me about it, but thats about it.

I think she realizes that she has a problem. She says she has Hope, but I get the sense that she feels that its way beyond the horizon and she dosen't have the transportation to get there.

There are a lot of "Yes, buts..." while speaking to her.

Shes doesnt have a lot of patience and I think thats a big part of the problem. She wants to take huge steps instead of taking small tiny ones.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2005
    Not that I want to jump to any conclusions here, having just read a microdot of what's going on, but you have to be careful that if her situation has been long-running and spiralling downwards instead of making progress, or levelling... you may not be adequately or professionally suited to helping her... in other words, she may have a clinical condition which is too big for you to handle alone. Consider taking care of yourself in this, as well as her.Rrelations' emotional problems can be a real rope around the neck, if you don't safeguard your own involvement....
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2005
    InfiniteKnot,

Depression is difficult to overcome.

Your sister and the Buddha have a lot in common.

The Buddha was an extraordinary man. He spent his whole life trying to find the answers to the secret of life's riddles -- How can I be truly happy, and how can I help others do the same? He gave up his entire life to discover the answers, and all that he had to do to achieve them was sit, and watch his mind.

Your sister has the same motivations and questions that the Buddha had 2500 years ago. And just like the Buddha, she too can discover the answers. The only problem is that she is looking outside for the answers, when in fact she should be looking inside.

Do the best you can to be supportive and steer her in the right direction, but don't 'push' her. Just simply point out the way. If she stumbles and falls down, be there to pick her back up. Your compasssion for her will do her wonders.

Unfortunetly, the rest will have to be up to her.

I hope that she finds her inspiration.

Best wishes.

:)

Jason
  • edited December 2005
    I'd second what's been said about a clinical condition such as depression. If your sister has depression it's important to get that recognised and treated. A combination of mindfulness meditation, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, appropriate medication, and exercise such as Yoga, Tai Chi or Qi Gong, have been shown to be highly effective, with the first three in particular becoming part of the standard range of treatment options for clinical depression. If it's seasonal depression or Seasonal Affective Disorder, which I live with myself, a light box can be very useful at this time of year.

As regards, "Does anyone have any ideas of small-things that one could do in a single day that would better yourself?" Yes - stop trying to better yourself.
  • edited December 2005
    I think that the others who have posted have pretty much said it all, so I won't add anything else. I suffer from manic-depression and I take my medication and attend therapy sessions with my psychiatrist and also group sessions. This helps me. I hope things work out for your sister. Take care.

Adiana:wavey:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2005
    I give thanks that the world still contains loving and supportive siblings!
  • edited December 2005
    Okay, great.

You have given me a lot of information to meditate on. You're right Zenmonk about "stop trying to better yourself."

I dont know what I was thinking in coming to that conclusion. I was trying to be helpful, but I can see how that actually has the opposite effect.

She has been treated for depression in the past. I'm not sure if she is still on meds or not, but it seemed as though she was doing better...but over the last week I have seen that its mainly an act, for the family's benefit.

Federica...Yeah, I've been very concious of the rope around my own neck. I'm very, very mindful that she could potentially drag me down with her, since misery loves company...Yet I do a really good job (for myself) of letting her problems be hers, not mine. I'm still trying to understand the difference between compassion for someone suffering, and pity for someone suffering.

I am mindful of her suffering, and I'm trying to be compassionate. My problem i think is that I dont know how one helps another through compassion without it turning to pity. I do know that when I feel that I'm pitying someone, I correct myself back to being mindful of my own discourse.

Her "Yes, buts--" do get aggrevating and sometimes I just have to drop her completely from my mind.

Elohim...I'm going to tell her that analogy of the Buddha experiencing the same thing as her. I find it tough sometimes trying not to draw conclusions for her. I realize she needs to draw the conclusions herself. Yet she draws conclusions that dont make sense. So that gets annoying. A lot of times she draws conclusions that support her current behavior, therefore making zero progress.

Oh well. Thanks all. :thumbsup:
  • edited December 2005
    I think that you allready gave her great advice
  • edited December 2005
    Update.

In my attempt to "nudge" her down a sustaining path, she volunteered the info that she was very interested in learning more about Buddhism.

She said this as I was getting ready to leave to go to a Mindful Living Sangha. I asked if she wanted to go. The first half-hour would be a meditation, then the next half hour would be a walking-meditation, then the next half hour would be readings from a Thich Naht Hahn book, then another halfhour meditation.

I explained what it would involve, and she said yes. She had actually meditated with me in the past, so she had a small inkling of what meditation was, so she wasnt completely confused when we got there and started meditating.

The person running the Sangha was kind enough to explain his own understanding of meditation to her before we started.

It was nice. We talked about it on the way home, and most of the day. We even did a candle-light meditation later in the day.

I dont know whats going to come of it, but I guess thats all I can do. I know its up to her to make her own choices. I'm just pleased that she enjoyed herself.

Thanks all for listening and responding.

-Knot
  • edited December 2005
    Your welcome! (not sure how much help I was though)
  • edited January 2006
    InfiniteKnot, this may be taken the wrong way, but I'd advise not mentioning Buddhism to your sister again. If she asks specifically, tell her it's not something to talk about but something to do and then leave it and see how she responds. If she's still interested enough to ask you twice more, go with the flow.
  • edited January 2006
    InfiniteKnot, this may be taken the wrong way, but I'd advise not mentioning Buddhism to your sister again. If she asks specifically, tell her it's not something to talk about but something to do and then leave it and see how she responds. If she's still interested enough to ask you twice more, go with the flow.
    Thats an excellent idea.

I actually decided this course of action a few days ago. So far she hasnt asked anything of me.