Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Don't we create our own suffering?

ravkesravkes Veteran
edited March 2011 in General Banter
So most people can provide for themselves (food, water, security).. that's reality (how the world works)..
Past that, isn't it just a trip of your own self-creation?
All desires, clinging, attachments, labels, suffering.. isn't it all there because YOU want it to be there? Because YOU do it to yourself?
Even with physical pain, it's pain. YOU create the suffering around it, YOU attach to the drama.
And most people don't even have to deal with physical pain regularly anyways..

Isn't life then just left for you to enjoy as you choose if you choose to live it? What prevents anybody from enjoying life? Doesn't enjoyment come from US and not necessarily what you're doing or what's happening? It's just a state of mind that YOU choose to create..

This entire universe is YOUR creation.. The key to happiness and the end of suffering is just having that mindset is it not?

Like seriously, we do it to ourselves (create the problem) then ask for help about it.. WHAAA?! I've done this before, how idiotic. When all it is, is just a simple freakin' choice. Between suffering and not suffering about what happens..

UMMM .. I choose not suffering.

:)

Comments

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2011
    >Don't we create our own suffering?
    yes, unknowingly (because of ignorance), in the Buddhist context.

this is why it is also up to you to remedy the problem.
  • "This entire universe is YOUR creation.. The key to happiness and the end of suffering is just having that mindset is it not?"

I don't think so

• ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Not the mindset that it's your creation.. but
    "This entire universe is YOUR creation.. The key to happiness and the end of suffering is just having that mindset is it not?"

I don't think so

Sorry, I may have typed that incorrectly. Not necessarily the mindset that the universe is my creation..

But understanding that whatever happens in reality, life, the universe.. whatever you want to call it happens and we have a CHOICE about whether or not we want to suffer it.

That is our gift, our freedom.

Meditation has shown me that we have a choice over HOW we experience reality, not necessarily WHAT we experience in it all the time.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited March 2011
    >Don't we create our own suffering?
    yes, unknowingly (because of ignorance), in the Buddhist context.

this is why it is also up to you to remedy the problem.
    Yes, that makes sense to me. Looking back on my suffering, from my perspective now I can understand that it was my self-creation. But somehow, while undergoing the experience I couldn't stop myself from hurting myself even more..
  • I've thought about that a lot. Are you telling me you don't suffer? Lets look deeply at the nature of having or not having a choice. I think what you say is true. So its interesting that we are all still suffering, right?

• "What we think, we become."
    Buddha
  • ravkesravkes Veteran

"What we think, we become."
    Buddha
    The truth behind that quote has become more apparent to me as of late..

Thank you.

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Suffering is a mental creation. So is good or bad, positive or negative. So is moral and immoral, ethical and unethical.

EVERYTHING is in the eye of the beholder.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I've thought about that a lot. Are you telling me you don't suffer? Lets look deeply at the nature of having or not having a choice. I think what you say is true. So its interesting that we are all still suffering, right?
    The minute I realized that suffering wasn't a big deal, it ended. I realized it was a sort of entertainment based on ignorance of situations.
  • mental is interconnected with the physical Mindgate. when you realize there are so many attachments you realize that you are going to be cast into infinite shades of pleasure/pain and so forth. This motivates you to practice with the dharma your mind and so forth. Its good to connect with that which is liberating to you. But don't expect everyone will share what you find helpful.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Suffering is a mental creation. So is good or bad, positive or negative. So is moral and immoral, ethical and unethical.

Suffering doesn't exist, unless you want it to.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    We do create our own suffering, but not normally on purpose. We create it by thinking, speaking and acting in ways that are mis-aligned with reality... and we only do that because we're ignorant, have come to ignorant views and pass them on to our children and they to theirs, passing on ways of thinking that can only lead to suffering.

When you know that it burns to put your hand in a fire, you stop doing it. Likewise when you know which ways of thinking, speaking and acting lead to suffering you stop doing them. Hence Buddhism. Hence the Noble Eightfold Path and all of the teachings meant to awaken us to how reality actually works, to destroy that ignorance.
  • I think this fit here:

The Meaning of the Buddha's Awakening
    by
    Thanissaro Bhikkhu
    © 1997–2011
    The two crucial aspects of the Buddha's Awakening are the what and the how: what he awakened to and how he did it. His awakening is special in that the two aspects come together. He awakened to the fact that there is an undying happiness, and that it can be attained through human effort. The human effort involved in this process ultimately focuses on the question of understanding the nature of human effort itself — in terms of skillful kamma and dependent co-arising — what its powers and limitations are, and what kind of right effort (i.e., the Noble Path) can take one beyond its limitations and bring one to the threshold of the Deathless.

As the Buddha described the Awakening experience in one of his discourses, first there is the knowledge of the regularity of the Dhamma — which in this context means dependent co-arising — then there is the knowledge of nibbana. In other passages, he describes the three stages that led to insight into dependent co-arising: knowledge of his own previous lifetimes, knowledge of the passing away and rebirth of all living beings, and finally insight into the four Noble Truths. The first two forms of knowledge were not new with the Buddha. They have been reported by other seers throughout history, although the Buddha's insight into the second knowledge had a special twist: He saw that beings are reborn according to the ethical quality of their thoughts, words, and deeds, and that this quality is essentially a factor of the mind. The quality of one's views and intentions determines the experienced result of one's actions.

This insight had a double impact on his mind. On the one hand, it made him realize the futility of the round of rebirth — that even the best efforts aimed at winning pleasure and fulfillment within the round could have only temporary effects. On the other hand, his realization of the importance of the mind in determining the round is what led him to focus directly on his own mind in the present to see how the processes in the mind that kept the round going could be disbanded. This was how he gained insight into the four noble truths and dependent co-arising — seeing how the aggregates that made up his "person" were also the impelling factors in the round of experience and the world at large, and how the whole show could be brought to cessation. With its cessation, there remained the experience of the unconditioned, which he also termed nibbana (Unbinding), consciousness without surface or feature, the Deathless.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    We don't create the suffering, but we hold on to it. So yeah in a way we create it by making it worse.

Now if you could simply choose to get rid of suffering, everybody would become enlightened in a second, because they just want to. But obviously that can't be done. However, you can work towards the removal of suffering by following the path.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    We do create our own suffering, but not normally on purpose. We create it by thinking, speaking and acting in ways that are mis-aligned with reality... and we only do that because we're ignorant, have come to ignorant views and pass them on to our children and they to theirs, passing on ways of thinking that can only lead to suffering.

When you know that it burns to put your hand in a fire, you stop doing it. Likewise when you know which ways of thinking, speaking and acting lead to suffering you stop doing them. Hence Buddhism. Hence the Noble Eightfold Path and all of the teachings meant to awaken us to how reality actually works, to destroy that ignorance.
    Really well said Cloud. It is seemingly ignorance, if I would have spewed what I was saying to myself 2 years ago. I would have told myself to shut up and gone on to continue suffering.. The point about children also holds true, as I remember when I was a child I used to take my parents word as fact. Parents have a massive impact on where a child goes in their life, I'm thankful I have had loving parents.

In reference to your second paragraph, it is a bit of a learning process. It's like one re-engineers his mind in order to see things as they actually are. I've seen that the majority of suffering is held within thinking as we constantly give rise to thoughts that are not aligned with reality.. The 8fold path is essential in helping us move towards removing the ignorance that really we've been born into and perpetuated unknowingly..

LOL, I basically rewrote what you wrote Cloud haha, but yeah.

Well said.

• ravkesravkes Veteran
    We don't create the suffering, but we hold on to it. So yeah in a way we create it by making it worse.

Now if you could simply choose to get rid of suffering, everybody would become enlightened in a second, because they just want to. But obviously that can't be done. However, you can work towards the removal of suffering by following the path.
    You're right. It surely brings back memories of when I was in the muck, very lost and confused.. constantly suffering. It takes time, patience and endurance for most..

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, and to add to it, we do everything to find happiness. It's our constant craving for happiness that is leading us to suffering, because we think happiness is found in having money, possessions, wealth, fame, eternal life (or at least thinking we have eternal life), and all sorts of other things. We think it's found in sense pleasures... :)

And so we come back to craving (with ignorance) being the cause, as stated in the Second Noble Truth. We want to be happy. That's not a bad thing, but there's only one way to go about being happy that has eradicated suffering, and that's becoming unfettered from all of these clinging views.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran

It exists if we create it, whether we want it to or not. You do understand that most people create their own suffering without knowing, right?
  • ravkesravkes Veteran

It exists if we create it, whether we want it to or not. You do understand that most people create their own suffering without knowing, right?
    Yeah, read my other posts.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Buddha

Buddha
    The truth behind that quote has become more apparent to me as of late..

Thank you.

Shame he actually never said that.
    It's a mistranslation of the first two verses of the Dhammapada.
    With an emphasis on 'Mistranslation'....

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    'If a man speaks or acts with an impure mind, suffering follows him as the wheel of the cart follows the beast that draws the cart.'

That got mistranslated?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    The original quote means unskillful karma leads to suffering.

"What we think, we become." doesn't really say that... it's more generalized and can be taken different ways.
  • Is there a relationship between the mind and karma?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    What's karma mean to you? To me it's volitional/intentional thought, speech and action (that's its definition). That means "choice". Everything you do starts with the mind, the choice to do something in this case. Karma is all about the mind, and how skillful karma leads to wholesome mental qualities and awakening while unskillful karma leads to defilements and suffering.

Karma shows how only we can free ourselves, no one can do it for us. We have to align our thoughts, speech and action with how reality actually is, and this conditions the mind toward awakening. That's the whole purpose of the Noble Eightfold Path (how it works).

So yeah, as far as I know karma is all about the mind. That's why the first verse of the Dhammapada says if you speak or act with an impure mind (meaning impure intent), suffering is bound to follow you. It all connects. :)

A lot of the time karma is taken in the wrong way, or people bundle it with rebirth as a superstitious/supernatural teaching (possibly even throwing it out!), but really it's important to understand because of what it shows us about our choices leading to either wholesome or unwholesome results.
  • Yeah its kind of an interesting choice. Because its a virtuous cycle. A little bit of elbow grease or whatever to stop bad karma or increase good. Even if it seems of no use can create the factors necessary for awareness practice. Which what do we become aware of? The connections allowing more creation of good karma.

But in the actual experience sometimes we are using the wrong faculty to make that choice. When we force things in a conceptual way of 'us' doing something. When really it is a sensitive awareness to the present rather than a conceptual thing. Of course we are also sensitive to concepts!
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    We're re-evaluating reality, investigating to see if these things are true or not (including using meditation). When the mind comes to see them as true directly, that changes everything. Seeing life differently, we live accordingly in a way that doesn't cause suffering to ourselves or others.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    This is what mahayana means by buddha nature that by seeing things directly it is possible to cut the root of samsara via the four noble truths. Is that what is meant by 'we are all buddhas' but we still rely on the buddha dharma and sangha.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Yeah Buddha-Nature just means that's how our minds all work. The only thing separating the mind of a world-ling from the mind of an enlightened being is ignorance. One mind doesn't see the causes of suffering directly and so does not abandon them, the other mind does. And so we follow the path, relying on the Triple Gem, to turn ignorance to wisdom... suffering to non-suffering.
  • edited March 2011
    At the level of principle or Mind, as the Sixth Patriarch taught in the Platform
    Sutra:

A foolish passing thought makes one an ordinary man, while an enlightened
    second thought makes one a Buddha.

Therefore, once concentrates on the Buddha’s name with utmost sincerity and one-pointedness of mind, for that moment he becomes an awakened person silently merging into the stream of the Sages – can Enlightenment and Buddhahood then be that far away?15 As the Meditation Sutra states: “the Land of Amitabha Buddha is not far from here!”

There once was a little worm living happily in an apple and eating it away slowly, day by day. He didn’t lack anything. In fact all he needed was food, and food was all around him. But one day he started to do philosophy, or more formally – to investigate the principles of being. He wondered whether the apple core was all there was and whether the meaning of life consisted of nothing else but eating it away. He asked his fellow worms about this, but they didn’t know either and had never asked such questions. They sent him to the oldest worm, but neither did he know. “Why do you ask such questions?” he replied. “There is nothing more to life than chewing up this tasty apple. I could teach you several ways of chewing it, of shaping beautiful galleries through it or of digging faster than other worms, but stop asking such nonsense”. So the little worm gave up his philosophical inquiry and dedicated himself to the routine of a normal worm’s life. But one day he took a big bite and was suddenly blinded by the light of the sun. He fell out of the apple and landed on the ground. The only reality he knew had ended. But it was too late for him to learn from his experience, as the ants rapidly took him to their nest and ate him. Ignorance is not bliss.
  • well that gets the ball rolling
  • When we have peace of mind as our priority, everything that is in the mind and comes out in speech or action is directed towards it. Anything that does not create peace of mind is discarded, yet we must not confuse this with being right or having the last word. Others need not agree. Peace of mind is one's own, everyone has to find his through his own efforts.

Aya Khema