Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Alcohol

edited March 2011 in Meditation
Hello,
I wonder if anyone has any thoughts regarding the effects of alcohol with dinner and then meditation later on?
For instance, this evening I had a pint of beer and a small whiskey afterwards. This was several hours ago, however, and now I'm wondering if this might take the one-pointedness and sharp focus off my meditation and whether I should simply refrain from meditating tonight and wait until tomorrow?
I realize there are clear and obvious pitfalls to alcohol, and that in some (most) schools of Buddhism and meditation, alcohol is seen as quite unskillful and one is expected not to partake as it compromises meditation, but now and then I enjoy a drink, and wonder if others have had experiences with this, or any thoughts on the matter.
Thank you!
Love to you, and love to all beings,
Tim

Comments

• Try both. Meditate when slightly tipsy and when completely sober. Should be good insight into how alcohol affects clarity.
  • Alcohol is a depressive. Why would you want to suffering a depressed mind when you wish to meditate? On top of all the junk we carry in our minds why increase the load?
  • Alcohol is a depressive. Why would you want to suffering a depressed mind when you wish to meditate? On top of all the junk we carry in our minds why increase the load?
    Wow pine, how would you know that Mondays would find alcohol depressive? Frankly, I found Shift's advice shocking. I though alcohol is taboo for spiritual types although Catholic priests do celebrate mass with a swig of wine. Anyway, Shift is right, in my view. As long as it is not dangerous, why not give alcohol a try. Personally, I find a shifter of Remy Martin quite relaxing for a contemplative evening. A nice bottle of wine would be better for an intense discussion on the Buddha with a friend.
  • I am not advising anyone to drink. I know from previous posts that HappyMondays fancies a drink now and then, and I am in no position to say that he has to follow the precepts, that's his choice. 'course it's best to avoid alcohol altogether, but I don't think that's likely in this situation, so observing how it affects you is probably the next best thing.
  • edited March 2011
    if you had the chance to talk face to face with the historical buddha, would you want to be dead sober, had a couple, or drunk.

as meditation may be the closest thing to this i think it stands to reason, personally i'd get a lot more out of it sober, drinking to me is about forgetting, not learning new things, like wise for pot and all those other drugs, i mean if you do learn something from meditating how are you going to know it wasn't the drugs or alcohol talking,

for you tibetan followers would you want to be high when you go to hear the Dalai Lama speak, if your answer is yes i think you have a problem.....
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Wow pine, how would you know that Mondays would find alcohol depressive?
    pineblossom didn't say HappyMondays would find alcohol depressive.
    Read it again.
    What pineblossom said is that alcohol is a depressive.
    And that's correct.
    Excessive alcohol actually acts as an emotional downer, and causes the same chemical and electrical shifts within the brain as chronic depression does.

I've unfortunately known several alcoholics in my time, and all of them showed dramatic levels of depression, caused by excessive alcohol intake.
    I encourage you to do some research, it's quite sobering (if you'll pardon the pun).
    Put it this way - you'll never see an alcoholic who's happy.
    Frankly, I found Shift's advice shocking. I though alcohol is taboo for spiritual types although Catholic priests do celebrate mass with a swig of wine. Anyway, Shift is right, in my view.
    Why would you find Shift's advice 'shocking'?
    Each person must see for themselves what the effects of doing or following something, would be. In order to gauge the effect of alcohol on Meditation, what better way for HappyMondays to see for themselves the difference in the state of meditation?
    Shift wasn't encouraging HappyMondays to drink. Shift was encouraging happyMondays to compare.
    There's a difference....
    As long as it is not dangerous, why not give alcohol a try. Personally, I find a shifter of Remy Martin quite relaxing for a contemplative evening. A nice bottle of wine would be better for an intense discussion on the Buddha with a friend.
    Everything in Moderation.

Including Moderation. ;)

• Everything in Moderation.

Including Moderation. ;)

Ok Federica, go easy with that sword then.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Moderation as in 'everything in good balance'.

Moderation as in 'Policing this forum', trust me, I pull no punches when necessary.... :grr: ;)
  • if you had the chance to talk face to face with the historical buddha, would you want to be dead sober, had a couple, or drunk.

Definitely not drunk unless the Buddha wants to party. Personally, a couple would hit the spot for me. They help loosen me up. If I were dead sober, I would be starstruck by His Holiness, see him as a big deal, and blow the chance of a lifetime to drag the truth out of him.
    edited March 2011
    It's a shame really, that you feel you'd need alcohol to loosen you up, don't you think....?
  • Why is it a shame? I am quite blessed with a fine wine collection. I have the temperament of Bodhiharma and the alcohol tempers my temper.
  • I though alcohol is taboo for spiritual types although Catholic priests do celebrate mass with a swig of wine.
    It's not wine, it's blood. Blood! Bloood I tell ye, BUHLUDD!!!

:D
  • Hey cran, are you pulling my leg. Anyway, there was this Catholic guy who went for communion to receive the Holy Eucharist, the body of Christ (represented by the small white pastry disc put into the mouth of worshippers by the priest). The rule is never to bite into but suck on the disc till it is completely dissolved. This guy bit into the disc and immediately blood flowed out.

So, watch it. Don't mess around with other people's religion.
  • So, watch it. Don't mess around with other people's religion.
    I wouldn't dream of it. I'm Catholic.

The Catholic doctrine of transubstantiation teaches that the things being consumed during Eucharist -- ostensibly bread and wine -- are in fact the flesh and blood of Jesus. They're not symbols of flesh and blood, they're not both bread/wine and flesh/blood. They are *solely* flesh and blood. There is no more bread-ness and wine-ness left. (This is different from a similar doctrine held by some Anglicans, known as consubstantiation.)

But the whole thing sits on Aristotle's idea of accidental properties and so allows for the fact that the flesh and blood appear *in every way* to be bread and wine. The bread will pass any bread-ness test and the wine any wine-ness test. They are flesh and blood *in the form of* bread and wine. Therefore although fables such as the one you relate are common, they are not orthodox Catholicism.
    Yeah, I really could never get my head round that.
    I tried, really I did.

That and a few other things......
  • Yeah, I really could never get my head round that.
    Curiously, the one way I found to understand it may be completely in line with what I understand as the Buddhist approach to non-duality. And, for that matter, a modern quantum mechanical view of "reality".

I'm not saying that led me to believe in transubstantiation. But it made it possible to see it as at least a coherent position.

I understand non-duality fractionally more than I do transubstantiation.

And even that confuses me.
    but then, I'm in good company.
    Many Buddhists find it difficult to understand that too....:)

However, transubstantiation requires belief.
    non-duality is a logical premise.
  • Wow such big words.
    I've had a fine crystal tumbler with bowmore whisky this evening. It is a rare treat.

It's not the best preparation for meditation though.

• ...transubstantiation requires belief. non-duality is a logical premise.
    Cool. Your very own epistemological taxonomy ;)
    So, given that, what is the status -- belief or logical premise -- of your very own:

"...transubstantiation requires belief. non-duality is a logical premise."

• Cran-

You may find some internet research into the Buddhist concept of non-duality, well, at the risk of a bad joke, "enlightening".

But to BOTH of you (OMG Fed), this would take the thread off topic. This looks like a subject for a whole other thread.

Put down that sword, Fed. :)
  • alcohol is great stuff when hanging out with some friends. good times.

for meditation? could be interesting to see how mindful you can be while intoxicated. though i don't see it being helpful lol. have fun.
  • Wow, thank you for all your input, friends!
    It's an interesting topic, and it definitely throws a little question mark and some ambiguity into thinking about moral precepts of Buddhism. I definitely think that meditating while straight sober is far better, and I actually don't meditate when I've had a drink or two. I compared last night, and found that there was mild, MILD tiredness, but overall I felt quite relaxed and was able to be very aware and mindful of thoughts arising and passing away and was able to maintain my attention on the breath.
    Again it had been several hours since I had last taken a sip, so much of the effects had begun to move on, and weren't that pronounced to begin with.
    All the same, a nice experiment, but not one to repeat often at all:)
    In Shambhala, it's also ok to enjoy and appreciate a glass of wine now and then. If one can be mindful and present, and one's intentions are balanced and sensible (very subjective and difficult to make any rules about), then it's fine, and even very enjoyable, and can be life-enriching.
    I think there is a healthy zone between a strict adherence to not drinking ever, and enjoying a beer or two with friends, or a glass of wine, without it being a problem. One has to be aware and careful, and look at what it does, but I don't see it as harmful if you're intelligent and thoughtful about it.
    As for meditation, it doesn't help really. Not the best thing, for sure.
    Chogyam Trungpa WAS a heavy drinker however. Interesting. I'm not him though. No one is.
    Also, any thoughts on caffeine's effects on meditation? I meditate in the morning before any coffee or tea, but meditate again at night, sometimes after one or two coffees in the day, and can feel it in me and my thoughts arising as I meditate.
    Different drug I suppose!
    Thank you again, all. May you be happy and free:)
    Tim
  • Its difficult for me to follow such a long post. I discovered some problems drinking when I changed to a different life stage with a different status and culture around drinking. Drinking makes sense when your friends are drinking, but for me it made me less aware and I missed out. Do I regret each drink I had? Hell no. But as I went into a new stages of life, when I was more often alone I decided to 'change my ways'.

So I hope you enjoy a few, but be sensitive or aware that it conditions your expectations, and its hard to walk away from. Its freaky I associate all kinds of behaviour with drinking and now I have some conditioned behaviour that puts me in the bind of trying to numb out my experience, but its a different setting and I am less forgiving while sober drinking NA beer or tea or coffee. So I am happy for the buzz but like I say its easy to crave.

• However, transubstantiation requires belief.
    non-duality is a logical premise.
    Come on, Federica. That's not fair. Non-duality is as logical as any ideology including transubstantiation. Just because you like chocolate cake and not cheesecake, that doesn't mean that one has a logical premise and the other requires belief for enjoyment.
  • yiming, have you ever read the Heart Sutra? Have you studied quantum mechanics and quantum physics? Non-duality is a logical premise.

This thread is about alcohol.
  • I forgot to mention that its a choice to drink or not drink. The upside is that its just another experience and either way there is a beauty.

I am imagining a cakd dusted with powder sugar and that would go good with a porter I used to be big into microbrews.
  • Well! you were not born with the love of alcohol :thumbsup:
  • Hey Jeff, looks like you and I are the only two people who are not paranoid about alcohol. When you get to the other shore, let's celebrate with great shots of beauty.
  • Drinks for everyone! Lemonade and 'healthy shakes' too.
  • yiming, have you ever read the Heart Sutra? Have you studied quantum mechanics and quantum physics? Non-duality is a logical premise.

Alcohol is not the only intoxicant. I am Buddha-intoxicated.

To answer your question, yes, I have read what you mentioned. Neither support what you claim. I am open to your reasoning. So, please enlighten me on the basis of your perspective.

• It will have to be tomorrow or sometime this week.
  • It begs the question, is curry an intoxicant?
    My tummy is expanding like a balloon, there are a lot of funny smells about and I can't sleep, let alone meditate.
    Hmmm..... yet curry is the staple of many Buddhists.
  • curry is not an intoxicant but hot mango pickle might be!!
  • Alcohol is bad for you, physically & mentally.
    It is a addictive drug like opium, etc.
    It is tolerated in most cultures.
    The negative aspects of drinking alcohol outweighs the positive.
    Islam & Buddhism prohibits alcohol.
  • Hermitwin
    Alcohol is not prohibited in Buddhism.
    I understand the negative effects more than most as I don't have contact with my family because I'm the only one that doesn't have a drink problem.
    Of course, taken in excess results in many social ills, probably more so than recreational drugs. The odd drink, now and again is unlikely to lead us down the wrong path.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Kinda funny lay Buddhists are only responsible for keeping 5 precepts (one of which is no intoxicants), and many wiggle out of those too. :) No one to hurt or hold back 'cept yourself, unless of course you do hurt someone else! No one can really tell anyone else what to do, no threats of the wrath of some God/god(s) as back-up. It's your life, choose as you will!

I'm sure more than a drink or two will cause meditation to go awry.
    Otherwise there shouldn't be any major difficulties.
  • spock, I prefer to examine why I drink at all. Is it social manners?
    Why do people smoke? To fit in?
    yiming, have you ever read the Heart Sutra? Have you studied quantum mechanics and quantum physics? Non-duality is a logical premise.

He's right.
    I derailed it, mea culpa (in my defence, not on my own.....) but let's stick to topic.
    Thanks.

• "Well! you were not born with the love of alcohol"

Not so fast. I believe in rebirth.