Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A few questions...please excuse my new-ness :)

edited March 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Have just had a few thoughts lately, and wondered if you guys could give me some answers:

1) If one's suffering is so bad, and they commit suicide - then how is that viewed in buddhism, would this have any impact on one's karma?

2) In buddhism, what is the equivilant of sin, and how - with the absence of a god to pray to etc. does buddhism deal with 'sin' and 'guilt'?

3) The idea of rebirth - do you guys take it literally, as one being reborn as an actual animal, or being reborn with differing degrees of suffering/personality?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    1) Suicide would be the karmic action. Karma is action, not the 'seeds' that later ripen into 'fruits' (results) that are planted in the mind through having performed karma.

2) Unskillful karma. Actions that lead to your own suffering or the suffering of others. You're ultimately responsible for yourself, and will 'reap what you sow' as stated in other religions. Related to awakening/liberation, unskillful karma leads away from and skillful karma leads toward Nirvana.

3) I think that rebirth of unwholesome mental states (such as thoughts of self and craving for sense pleasures though they bring no lasting joy), applies to this life... and a rather selfless rebirth of new life forming out of everything you are after death applies to that situation. It's really up in the air what happens after death, but it's probably just the way it seems when we stop thinking about it. There's no one to be born or die, just matter changing from this into that over and over and over again.
  • Hey meh, I am one of the guys and these are my answers:

1) There are as many views in Buddhism as there are Buddhists. One view is that the killing of the body does not end the suffering.

2) In Buddhism there is only the issue of suffering which is the result of ignorance. Ignorance would be the equivalent of sin. The Buddhist deal with ignorance through self-inquiry.

3) There is no rebirth either as an animal or a human being.
  • I would suggest that you read the various long threads about reincarnation/rebirth, and perhaps we can deal with the other questions separately.
  • Hey cran, is this a Buddhist forum or a box of Kellogs?
  • Hey cran, is this a Buddhist forum or a box of Kellogs?
    I'd hoped for the former.

• There is such a thing as a bad teacher, or false prophet, or wolf in sheep's clothing.

What about a Buddha, cran?

Anyway, how about your answers to meh's question 1), 2) and 3)? Give them your best shot.

• There is such a thing as a bad teacher, or false prophet, or wolf in sheep's clothing.

What about a Buddha, cran?
    I don't know. But I hope so.
    Anyway, how about your answers to meh's question 1), 2) and 3)? Give them your best shot.
    I don't know. 1 and 3 interest me, so I'm listening. Being from a Catholic upbringing, I don't find myself asking 2.

My only point to meh_ was, to keep his brain switched on. The value of any answers is not necessarily positively correlated to how enigmatic it sounds. *Sometimes* things sound wacky simply because they are wacky.
  • edited March 2011

In my (yes my) opinion, there are people on here who are not talking truth and those of you who know better should push back more on them, for the sake of newcomers like me who cannot yet figure it out for ourselves.

There is such a thing as a bad teacher, or false prophet, or wolf in sheep's clothing.
    Real life, or internet, yes, you have to pick your teachers. That's what's good about adulthood; it makes us generally qualified to do that.

FWIW, If I run across someone whom I think is a "bad teacher" I'm not going to punch him out. I'm going to move on.

___Rough___ analogy: a kid is unfortunate enough to have what I consider to be a bad father (however: NOT bad enough to call the authorities). What do I do? Punch out the father and tell the kid his dad sucks? No.

IOW, STFU (F=frick) about it and move on.

IM_H_O of course. Thinking

OOPS! I'm sorry. I just realized this was a bit OT. I like the emoticon too much to delete it. Goofy
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited March 2011
    cranreuch, just because you do not believe in what people have posted, does not mean they are not telling the truth. As I have mentioned beforehand, we all have different levels of experience in Buddhist practice, I believe that if members post something on the forum, then they do so because its their belief or view (unless they are obviously joking), not because they are trying to deceive someone as you seem to be suggesting. Seriously, if your interested in becoming a Buddhist, then you should not look to forum members for teachings, you should really go and research the concepts of Buddhism properly from teachers experienced in teaching. A simple google search will give you a mass of information which you can read and come to your own conclusions.

Metta to all sentient beings

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Back to topic please.
    Thanks.
  • Seriously, if your interested in becoming a Buddhist, then should not look to forum members for teachings, you should really go and research the concepts of Buddhism properly from teachers experienced in teaching. A simple google search will give you a mass of information which you can read and come to your own conclusions.

Very nice. Clear. Perfect. Helpful. image

• edited March 2011
    1) Suicide violates the first precept, "do not kill", or "do no harm".
    2) Sin in Buddhism and in Christianity have a similar basis: actions that stem from a misunderstanding of the true nature of reality.
    3) As SherabDorje said, look it up on the numerous threads on rebirth and reincarnation.
  • Yay for my derailed topic.
    cranreuch have you considered being less agressive to people when they are genuinely trying to help people out? Especially on a *buddhist* forum. So far all you have done is derail my thread and insulted a lot of the members on the site... 'taxonomy of posters' - I mean how is that a neccessary thread.
  • compassionate warrior, thankyou.
  • www.newbuddhist.com/discussions/8715/what-gets-carried-over-to-new-lifetime-in-rebirth/reincarnation/p1

One good thread on the rebirth question. There are many.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Hey meh, I am one of the guys and these are my answers:

1) There are as many views in Buddhism as there are Buddhists. One view is that the killing of the body does not end the suffering.
    Quite. And another view is that suicide is absolutely against the first precept also, as the first precept exhorts us to do no harm, and that includes to ourselves.
    2) In Buddhism there is only the issue of suffering which is the result of ignorance. Ignorance would be the equivalent of sin. The Buddhist deal with ignorance through self-inquiry.
    Agreed. There is also a thread running on the concept of Sin in Buddhism, meh, which I recommend you also take a look at.

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/9588/have-you-sinneds#Item_57
    3) There is no rebirth either as an animal or a human being.
    I do take issue with this.
    This is not a definitive or generally accepted statement, and it is up to each person to make their own enquiries and come to their own conclusions.
    I prefer to never come down one way or the other, but to keep an open mind on the matter.
    it is in fact the most logical thing to do.

• The link appears to be dead
  • and thankyou federica :)
    (which link....?)
  • The link appears to be dead
    Type it into Google, then it comes up on a menu. Click onto it, and you're in.

• wiki is great at giving a brief overview of topics,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_views_on_sin
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebirth_(Buddhism)

the bbc website is ok as well
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/buddhism/buddhistethics/euthanasiasuicide.shtml

check them out, to get some sort of overview on Buddhism and the questions you ask.

Metta to all sentient beings
  • Okay, well another thought - if nothing but our karma is carried over after death, and we devote our whole life to attempting to achieve enlightenment:

When we are reborn, what is to say that we will be buddhists? That we will be able to try again?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    (Karma isn't something that's carried. Karma is our action. Slapping someone in the face is karma, speaking is karma. If there is a view that there's something that is carried, it would be the 'seeds' or 'fruit' that result from karma.)
  • Okay, well another thought - if nothing but our karma is carried over after death, and we devote our whole life to attempting to achieve enlightenment:

When we are reborn, what is to say that we will be buddhists? That we will be able to try again?
    We don't need to be reborn as Buddhists in order to continue practicing. All we need is a precious human rebirth.

• cranreuch, just because you do not believe in what people have posted, does not mean they are not telling the truth.
    Absolutely true. But equally, just because I do not believe in what people have posted does not mean they are telling the truth.

In fact the truth of what they are saying is independent of what I, or you, or anyone else believes.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Have just had a few thoughts lately, and wondered if you guys could give me some answers:

1) If one's suffering is so bad, and they commit suicide - then how is that viewed in buddhism, would this have any impact on one's karma?
    If the action of suicide is coupled with intention (good or bad) then it yields karma.

Karma is action coupled with intention. If the action is out of greed, malice or out of ignorance of the right way then that gives Bad karma. If the action is coupled with Generosity, good-will or knowleadge of the right path then that gives good karma.

So suicide might actually give good karma if it is coupled with good intention.

Say someone sacrifices their life to save others.

2) In buddhism, what is the equivilant of sin, and how - with the absence of a god to pray to etc. does buddhism deal with 'sin' and 'guilt'?
    All bad karma can be seen as sin I guess. That is actions done out of greed, malice or ignorance of the right path. There is no escape from Karma (good or bad) the results of the karma will always befall the culprit. There is no absolution as in Christianity.

3) The idea of rebirth - do you guys take it literally, as one being reborn as an actual animal, or being reborn with differing degrees of suffering/personality?
    I take it literally and so did the Buddha in his teachings. But I do not think you have to take a stand and believe it to be a Buddhist. But it is totally unlogical to disbelieve in rebirth because such a standpoint can not be logically proven. Did you follow? Ask otherwise.

Kr
    Victor

• cranreuch ... so far all you have done is derail my thread ...
    Then my apologies. That wasn't my intention.

• NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran

From my point of view :

1) Yes, it would have , if rebirth was real.
    2) The equivalent of sin would be the bad action.
    3) The idea of rebirth...*sigh* hard to explain this one. When you die, you don't know if you're going to be reborn as an animal or as a human. You just die. What happens afterwards...is just what happens afterwards.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Okay, well another thought - if nothing but our karma is carried over after death, and we devote our whole life to attempting to achieve enlightenment:

That wich gets "carried over" are not only the karma but also our desires. So if you have cultivated a desire for buddhism you will get carried that way because you will consciously or unconciously have a desire for buddhism. That is why a Sotapanna is guarenteed to reach nibbana in 7 lives. Because his/her desire to reach it is so strong. There are also other individuals that are guarenteed to cross paths with buddhism in successive lifes because their desire for buddhism is so strong even if they have not attained Aryanhood.

R
    /Victor

• 3) The idea of rebirth - do you guys take it literally, as one being reborn as an actual animal, or being reborn with differing degrees of suffering/personality?
    Of the three, this one interests me most. Until a few years back I'd have dismissed it out of hand as having no coherent interpretation. Now, well, hmmm.

For a start, I don't believe that death of the body is death of the consciousness. I'm not saying I have a belief it's not, I just don't find myself with the belief that it *is*. In other words, I just don't know.

As a result, now -- as opposed to my younger days -- I have no problem with the *idea* of consciousness continuing after bodily death. I now consider it a reasonable component of a coherent theory of existence, albeit one without any evidence I find compelling.

As a corollary, I have no problem with the idea of my consciousness being "reborn" in another body. But at the moment, I have no idea if that is true. And for the time being I'm at a loss to see how I *could* know either way.

P.S. In the above I'm using "consciousness" in the most non-specific way. I'm not distinguishing between the western philosophical idea of the source of qualia (say), and on the other hand whatever kind of "mind stream" thing is meant in Buddhism.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Buddhism teaches all harmful actions ('sin') occurs due to ignorance. When we as an individual realise actions of ours have been harmful (and we stop doing those actions), we should also realise these harmful actions were caused by ignorance or not-knowing. We did not know what we were doing.

It follows in the longer term, our mind should have no issues whatsoever with guilt because it understands to perform harmful action when our mind is ignorant or blind is 100% normal & natural.

The Buddha taught every human being without exception is born into this world with ignorance as the primary underlying mental tendency (anusaya).

In short, everything we do in life is merely a lesson and a stepping stone in our spiritual evolution.

When we see the truth of harmless & harmful actions, our mind will be free from guilt.

Guilt only occurs when we do not understand clearly the truth of harmless & harmful actions but we have guilt because we have conflicted with what we regard as the laws of God.

When we see the truth of harmless & harmful actions, "God" becomes unnecessary because the moral law is imbedded in our hearts.

Kind regards

DD:)

• edited March 2011

Of the three, this one interests me most. Until a few years back I'd have dismissed it out of hand as having no coherent interpretation. Now, well, hmmm.

What made you change your mind?

I must say I want to keep an open mind to the idea of it...but then I realize, the only reason why I wish to do so is because a lot of people believe in it. And the years have taught me that most people really DON'T know what they are talking about. And I can't be a slave to what people think is a good idea anymore...there is tendency to respect and consider.....but I'm only considering because people talk about it a lot. If someone talked about pink elephants a lot, I might keep an open mind about them too...even though deep inside my heart I saw NO reason to even CONJURE such a possibility (reincarnation or rebirth is completely random....or rather...it plays upon a very human fear of death shared by all of us to some degree...but has no basis on...ANYTHING really.)
    edited March 2011
    The idea of rebirth - do you guys take it literally, as one being reborn as an actual animal, or being reborn with differing degrees of suffering/personality?
    For me, reborn with differing degrees of suffering/personality.

But for others, such as Victorious, literally.

:mullet:
    edited March 2011
    If one's suffering is so bad, and they commit suicide - then how is that viewed in buddhism...
    A person commits suicide because they have acute suffering. Therefore Buddhism views suicide & suicidal thoughts with compassion.

For example, there have been occasions when a person posts on New Buddhist they are thinking about suicide.

We all try our best to help them because Buddhism views suicide & suicidal thoughts with compassion.

Kind regards

DD:)

• edited March 2011

Of the three, [the idea of rebirth] interests me most. Until a few years back I'd have dismissed it out of hand as having no coherent interpretation. Now, well, hmmm.
    What made you change your mind?
    Phew. Well...

The convergence of a range of things really.

First, we know that Quantum Mechanics poses very significant difficulties for the intuitive understanding of reality. Electrons as little balls whirling around a nucleus of other little balls; light as a wave-and-particle; something is either here or it's there but not both; and so on -- none of those models fit observation perfectly. Trouble is, no model fits perfectly. So that leaves me with the ability to, in a scientifically respectable way, say "I have no clue what is going on out there."

Next, language. Early 20th century analytic philosophy in particular, and to a lesser extent math, began to probe the boundaries of what could be "said" -- i.e. the limits of language and, therefore, thought. That reaches its essence perhaps in Wittgenstein's Tractatus in which he concludes (or is interpreted to have concluded) that there are "phenomena" "out there" that *are* "out there" but about which we cannot speak, and therefore about which we should just shut up. Now that conclusion is very hard to express because it, itself, is on the verge of things of which we cannot speak. Wittgenstein's position was almost a wink wink, nudge nudge, "Look, either you've already spotted this yourself, in which case you don't need me to tell you about it; or you haven't, in which case you'll need to figure it out because I can't *say* it"

Then a little bit more physics -- more science really. And this time nothing as esoteric as QM. The simple fact is, the "laws" of physics aren't. Or at least, we've no reason to believe they are laws. For example, the "law" of gravity is inverse squared. That makes sense because of the relationship between the volume of an object and its surface area. And as a result we can tell how fast an object will accelerate towards the earth when we drop it. But if tomorrow the object started acting like gravity was inverse cubed, or simply linear, we'd have *no justification* for complaining a law had been broken. We'd be surprised, yes. We'd repeat the experiment, sure. We'd check our instruments and have others do the same. But in the end, we'd be where we are right now with QM and, for example, entanglement. We'd furrow our brows, scratch our heads and take one of a range os positions including "WTF!?" and the Copenhagen one which is "Who cares; make the math work and get on with it."

So, smoosh all that together, and I think "Rebirth? Why not?" It's as coherent as anything else out there. There's no evidence for it, but that doesn't mean it's not true.
    If someone talked about pink elephants a lot, I might keep an open mind about them too...even though deep inside my heart I saw NO reason to even CONJURE such a possibility (reincarnation or rebirth is completely random....or rather...it plays upon a very human fear of death shared by all of us to some degree...but has no basis on...ANYTHING really.)
    OK, so that for me is the question too. I have no problem with rebirth. But I have no problem with no rebirth.

Funnily enough, I do have a problem with death of the body meaning the death of "me". But that may just be old religious habits dying hard :)

Overall, I just fall back on the old faithful, "Well how could I possibly know that!?"
  • 1. Suicide is wrong because you are klling a living being.
    2.Unskillful actions eg killing can land you in hell for some time, not eternity.
    3.Yes, you can be reborn as human,animals or in other realms.
  • All 3 schools of Buddhism; Theravada, Mahayana and Tibetan agree on these 3 questions.
  • They do? I thought Theravadans didn't believe in rebirth.
  • Of course many Theravadans believe in literal post-mortem rebirth
  • THE REASONS TO THE DIFFERING OF SUFFERINGS OF A MAN IS THE ANSWER TO YOUR FIRST QUESTION