Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Chronic/recurrent health problems and Buddhism

edited March 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Does any of you have any chronic or recurrent health problems that make you life more difficult? How has Buddhism helped you with that?

Comments

• I have had depression and the determination in sitting with the feeling that meditation was not an 'answer'. Upon sitting it aroused a determination without having some kind of obvious sensation that I could construe as self-defeating. Having accomplished my sitting I felt a pleasant relief and proudness, but also a certain resolve feeling like stillness. That was an island in my depression and I began being attracted to writings and searching for a deepening and experiencing the reality of the followers of the practice of meditation. A little tasted good and the determination. From this place of a sense of everything wrong and always be wrong, with no happiness and no feeling. Of that came a courage. Almost like a sense of humor and trust.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I used to have chronic pain from a broken bone, but strangely it's gone away. Maybe it was all in my head and Buddhism got rid of the delusion. *shrug*

I also used to have general anxiety and had to take medications rather often for it, and that entirely went away. I think it was social anxiety, but now I can be in a crowd of people and feel at home. That's the important one I think.
  • I'm repeating myself here, but I have a type of panic disorder with dissociative episodes, and mindfulness has helped me get through acute attacks. No one knows I'm having a panic attack unless I tell them because I just try to stay quietly mindful. It's like having a jet airplane fly through my head, but I just watch it fly through.
  • As anyone had to deal with something that affected their "body image" and self-esteem?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2011
    yes.
    In 2002, I had a back injury which caused my lumbar/sacral disc to explode in 3 directions.
    it trapped my spinal cord and did irreparable damage to part of my sciatic nerve.
    the result is now, that my lower left leg (the calf) is atrophied, I have partial paralysis of my left leg, and can no longer wear high heels.
    I'm 4'10" and therefore petite.
    I used to have trim legs and pretty ankles, and wearing high heels gave me height and elegance.
    Now, both ankles are swollen and misshapen, because I keep twisting the left one (I can't feel where I put my foot, and sometimes, it just gives way) and my right ankle is entirely load-bearing, and has therefore amassed muscle and thickened tendons and ligaments.

So now, I can no longer wear pretty frocks or evening dresses, only trousers. I haven't worn a skirt or dress for 6 years. Apart from heavy winter stuff, that goes well with boots and ankle warmers, that is.
    I'm a very feminine person, and I desperately miss being able to dress elegantly (there's only so much a lady can get away with, in flat shoes) and being able to look feminine.
    This is the most dreadful aspect of attachment for me, and I feel frustrated with my own clinging.
    What's more, I can still walk, I'm upright and it hasn't disabled me, so really, I should be grateful that the injury was not more debilitating.
    It's a foolish and egotistical attachment, and one that is both vexing and frankly, ridiculous.

Yet it still makes me depressed at times.
  • I have a feeling sexiness is a more basic BIOLOGICAL need than most people realize. To a certain extent of course. I too feel it's ridiculous a lot of the time, yet I've managed to overcome a lot more serious (or so people would say) psychological insecurities and fears, but not this one.

Then again, I am perfectly aware in the society we live in these days. I just wish I had these problems when I was a bit older with kids and all that. My health problems have a history of not letting me enjoy my youth.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2011
    "Sexiness"...?
    At 54, I really don't give a rat's ass about looking sexy.
    What I do care about is that this injury has limited my movement and ability to wear appropriate clothes for appropriate occasions. It has seriously curtailed my own flexibility, and impacted on my social life.

For my part, sexiness doesn't come into it.

But now you mention it, I've never seen any pictures of women in flat shoes who wwere wearing gorgeous clothes, or underwear - and who looked sexy.
    A sign of a woman's sexuality, is her ability to look good, right down to her feet.
    Men perceive sexuality in a woman with high heels.

so, thanks, that's another factor I can be depressed about.
    I also no longer look sexily appealing.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    had terrible migraines since i was 3 years old.

was on pretty hard core medication for them (which had unpleasant side effects).

Migraine are gone completely since my first Vipassana 10 days retreat.

Changed my life significantly.
  • "Sexiness"...?
    At 54, I really don't give a rat's ass about looking sexy.
    What I do care about is that this injury has limited my movement and ability to wear appropriate clothes for appropriate occasions. It has seriously curtailed my own flexibility, and impacted on my social life.

For my part, sexiness doesn't come into it.

But now you mention it, I've never seen any pictures of women in flat shoes who wwere wearing gorgeous clothes, or underwear - and who looked sexy.
    A sign of a woman's sexuality, is her ability to look good, right down to her feet.

I certainly don't understand the concept of "appropriate clothes for appropriate occasions". I don't mean sexiness in the colloquial sense. I mean body image self-esteem. Confidence. Which, is the only real sexiness.

• edited March 2011
    For me, bottom emoticon was the Before. The After? It's this one which is still, calm and larger:

Castaway
    edited March 2011
    I certainly don't understand the concept of "appropriate clothes for appropriate occasions".
    No, you wouldn't, but that doesn't surprise me. Most men don't. And I don't mean to be deprecating in that. It's just fact.
    Women love to dress up and look special for social functions, and look elegant and feel elegant. Women go to a lot of trouble to project an image of elegance and effort.
    men - unless it's an official function like a gala evening or wedding, and there is a prescribed sartorial requirement - always wear the ubiquitous sweatshirt, jeans and sneakers.

go to a social high-spot on a Friday evening and just observe.....take a look at the difference in between the effort ladies have made, and the guys with them, have made.
    Guys wear trousers. And sweatshirts. And sneakers.
    all the time.

Women have a greater variation of outfits, and like to dress up.
    A woman who's possibilities are curtailed or limited, feels like a portion of her self-expression has been silenced.
    I don't mean sexiness in the colloquial sense. I mean body image self-esteem. Confidence. Which, is the only real sexiness.
    I don't buy it. I have actually very good levels of self-confidence.
    Sexiness is something different altogether.

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2011
    how difficult will this conditioning be to overcome (low self esteem due to appraising our "self" on external factors (what others think of us based on our physical appearance, or how we think others think of us based on our physical appearance)) may also depend on our culture.

I know where im from (Quebec, Canada) is a culture that mostly put more value on the personality over physical appearance.
    Which is a obvious difference with a culture like Korea, where plastic surgeries are more common than the common flu, and where all of the boys will line up in front of the girl that is the closest to the cultural ideal of beauty at a speed dating event, while completely ignoring every other girls.

Keeping this in mind may help put the inner conflict in perspective a bit.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I feel Epicurus was right that a guys sexiness is often his confidence and demeaner with women. I have always felt that my complete gullibility I guess I could say 'growing up' haha has always attracted women only to discover that I blank out when in those feminine pheremones, no that's the opposite. When I am in the position of saying, sooooo (why is an unworthy rodent like me in the forced to speak?)..hey :) I mean a guy cannot capture his whole life story in a pickup line.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    I gots da approachable sexiness. Women can talk to me and love my voice. Guess it's too bad they only seem to want one thing, when I wanted an actual friend/companion deal. ;)
  • Holy shit cloud. You know what women want?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I know what they want from me, but I'm not all about that (not right away). Maybe I'm just an old soul at heart, but I feel a friendship should be formed first, you should actually like each other, before getting physical. Don't know what it is, but I always get the ones that want to get physical right away.
    Uhh anyway we're getting off topic, I'm done.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I gots da approachable sexiness. Women can talk to me and love my voice. Guess it's too bad they only seem to want one thing, when I wanted an actual friend/companion deal. ;)
    Strange, Cloud. I've never heard this complaint about women, that they only want one thing. I wonder why you consistently attract those types? (I didn't know they existed, but I'll take your word for it.)
    But now you mention it, I've never seen any pictures of women in flat shoes who were wearing gorgeous clothes, or underwear - and who looked sexy.
    Really? I've never owned high heels. I dress up when appropriate and wear nice shoes, but they're flat. I kinda thought it was the upper body, and the hourglass figure that got men's attention. But...maybe it's just me....
    I never knew that. Maybe it depends on what kind of man you're interested in.
    That's ridiculous. Sex appeal is all in your mind and attitude. Besides, there's other kinds of appeal.
    I don't mean sexiness in the colloquial sense. I mean body image self-esteem. Confidence. Which, is the only real sexiness.
    Yay, Epicurus! :clap:
    I think it boils down to what kind of values you're looking for in the opposite sex.

Oh, and to answer your OP, Epicurus, I had pretty serious chronic fatigue for years. I used Buddhist psychology to deal with it. "This too shall pass" (great opp'ty to develop patience, and this lasted over a decade!) was a mainstay. Even though I gained weight, it didn't affect my body image, really. I lost the weight quickly when I found the right diet. These things don't have to be a big deal if you don't let them.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Another note on chronic illness and coping. I developed arthritis in my feet at an early age. So I couldn't wear any kind of shoes, except Birkenstock sandals, which my podiatrist modified to build a custom orthotic into the footbed. No more cool shoes, not even cool flats. So I practiced non-attachment to cool shoes (that's a BIGGIE for women, haha! Really!). I decided to make the best of the lemons life dealt me, and make some semblance of lemonade. I got into Birkenstocks, and looked for the coolest designs (getting the catalogue from Germany, that had more innovative designs than the US catalog). What else could I do? Anyone who passes me up just because I don't have stylish shoes is really missing out, and it's their loss. Nobody notices my shoes except women, and they love 'em. When life throws you a curveball, you just change your thinking, and adapt to the new reality.

REALLY sorry to hear about your back problems, Fed. It sorta seems like shoes are the least of your worries. How's your back now? :(
    BTW, lots of men LOVE petite women! ;)
  • You know what the Tibetans say: any kind of adversity, including illness, is a great opportunity to a) burn off negative karma and b) practice non-attachment, patience, and other virtues.
  • Yeah, this is indeed a great opportunity to practice non-attachment to my body image. You still feel kind ripped off knowing what world we live in though. Not to mention our own natural impulses towards attractive (and non-attractice) individuals of the opposite sex.

Also health is just one of those basic needs that can make one relativize one's beliefs and practices a whole lot.

• Also health is just one of those basic needs that can make one relativize one's beliefs and practices a whole lot.
    And one's attachment to attractiveness and that whole game, definitely. Adversity forces you to mature and develop more spiritual values, I think. But as you said, you also realize that much of the world is operating on a different basis. So you have to have faith that you'll find like-minded people at some point. And you do become aware of your own prejudices or preferences. So you have to try to grow beyond that. Personal growth--nobody said it's a walk in the park!
  • What kinda pains me is this feeling I had since I was a child, that I felt old inside (and I don't mean I'm an old soul or anything). I cut loose in a very leftfield way, but my conscience is my axis (or my crux). As years pass, I feel I've never really enjoyed my young years in a sense, like other people seem to. And health problems just seem to speed that up...and I'm only 24 really. What's the good of personal growth if you are not enjoying the ride in the mean time I wonder....

Anyways, just kind of blue since returning from the hospital. This too shall pass....I just hope it's not in a bitter way making me wish I had a life that never was...
  • Sounds serious, Ep. All you can do is your best. But watch out for that "like others seem to" bit. We never really know what others are going through. Don't torture yourself that way. Maybe you could start up a support group where you live.
    Right now, being compelled to wear flats, is the least of my problems....

:rolleyes: :)
  • I combat general anxiety and difficulty with identity. Buddhism and meditation really help with 3 main areas:
    1. Grounding the anxious tension
    2. Overactive thinking
    3. Attachment to what others think

When I was around 17 years old, I started thinking more and more about how I present myself to others, until it encompassed many aspects of my life and caused anxiety. Since then I've read a large amount of books on psychology, philosophy, and self-help, and though I respect the knowledge gained from them, nothing helps more than meditation. It helped me understand impermanence as well, which sparked my interest in Buddhism. I initially believed I was 'cured' from the anxiety because I achieved a blissful meditative state, though hastily realized the state was temporary. With meditating every day or two and taking a couple of supplements, I avoid the need for SSRIs and have a clearer thought process.

The dharma helps with directing and solidifying my identity. Though everything including identity is transient, 'who I am' is more clarified and I battle less with desiring to act a certain way.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Epicurus, you just have to have faith that what you're going through is there for a reason (i mean, as in Higher Purpose), and that it will lead you to what you need over time. The self-reflection it's bringing up is something that will open you up, possibly, to talking to people you wouldn't have otherwise even noticed. Maybe new friends in time, friends who understand what you're going through and share your evolving values. Buddhism talks about faith, having faith that the Dharma will improve your life, that kind of faith. so...have faith. hang in there. :)
    And don't let depression get you. Just don't even allow it a toehold. During my years of illness, I was determined not to fall into that, so I found something to busy my mind with, something that really captured my interest and dedicated myself to that. You might have moments when you think, "When will this end?", but you just let it wash over you, recognizing it's just a temporary moment, and then you keep going.
  • Unfortunately it's not temporary, and I'll carry the scars with me until I die. I don't really believe in karma (well, I believe in actions having repercussions, but not past life karma or any of the more esoteric interpretations) or higher purpose or in faith. In fact, I don't believe in much. I do believe some day I'll come to grips with it. That's not what is painful...but the price I'll pay to come to grips with it. It's easy enough to say "have no expectations"...but with no expectations, there is nothing to look forward to, and you wander why you are here in the first place.

I've had similar experiences on a smaller level, and even though I learned to be happy afterwards...there is still a sense of having wasted a lot of time and youth. My biggest fear has always been to have regrets....and I'm starting to have loads of regrets.

Anyway, thanks for the support message. I wish I had more faith in the happiness completely independent from external conditions.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @Epicurus, I used to have a lot of regrets too. I regretted not doing well in school, regretted getting a degree I don't use, regretted job choices or choosing to leave certain jobs, regretted relationship choices, regretted that I could never finish anything... it was a heavy weight to carry. Then I figured out what the problem was. The problem was that I had expectations and desires that I was trying to live up to in the first place. I mean why? We don't take all of our wealth and knowledge and possessions with us when we die, why struggle so hard to "do" things in life just to please ourselves?

Much better to be aware of how life really is, and to help people who are suffering, than to be self-serving for no good reason. :) That's what I learned.
  • edited March 2011
    So what exactly motivates you, if you have no expectations? How do you make decisions of where to take your life? Don't you have dreams?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @Epicurus, Helping people. I mean what else is worth doing? "How" is up in the air, but one form is participating in forums such as this one while I can. I may not be able to tomorrow, for all I know! I'd like to get a job that deals with helping more people, which is why I may be moving to New Guinea (maybe). There's a lot I simply do not know, but I'm not sweating it. Not attaching to any specific plans, no expectations. What's important is to see life clearly unfolding and make the right choices depending on the situation. I may end up in a monastery for all I know! :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2011
    You remain open to serendipity. In the meantime, you get a job to pay the bills, hopefully one in a field that interests you. But you stay open to unexpected possibilities. This isn't an answer that conforms with typical pressure to have a career and "be successful". If you're feeling lost and without direction, this probably won't help. :-/ But it's an answer to your question. RE: "dreams" --no, I never had dreams or "goals" ("goal" is a 4-letter word, ino. I could never relate to the concept.) I've pretty much always taken life as it comes, following my interests and inclinations. So far, so good.
    So what exactly motivates you, if you have no expectations? How do you make decisions of where to take your life? Don't you have dreams?