Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

☼ ☯ Buddhism for Beginners ☯ ☼

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited March 2011 in Buddhism Basics
(Moderator Edit: Added converted PDF and Word 97-2003 DOC formats per OP request.)

I have created a simply 3 page introduction to Buddhism which is still being revised and such. I have read many introductions to Buddhism, but from many that they read, they do not get to the point, or are biased to one particular sect, or aren't actually beginner friendly! I have attempted to create an introduction to Buddhism in a simply manner, but with enough intelligence and "deep ideas" put in there to make people think. I don't know if you agree with these statements, but it is all that I have gathered from the past few months of studying. With a thanks to all of you on NewBuddhist and a special thanks to Federica for allowing me to use parts of her thesis on the 4 Noble Truths.

Without further interruptions, ladies and gentlemen:

Buddhism in a Nutshell

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Will definitely give it a read. Would've suggested making it in plain .doc or .rtf format though instead of Word 2007-2010 which not everyone has (though they can use older Word with conversion updates...).
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    "not getting what you want guarantees unhappiness"

As far as I could tell this is the only statement I objected to in your condensed version of your studies these months. This sounds like only in the short term that not getting what you wanted would guarantee unhappiness. What do you think?

Theres also open office for computer downoalding
  • make it into a pdf.

fun document though.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    "not getting what you want guarantees unhappiness"

As far as I could tell this is the only statement I objected to in your condensed version of your studies these months. This sounds like only in the short term that not getting what you wanted would guarantee unhappiness. What do you think?

Theres also open office for computer downoalding
    For the average Joe, if you don't get your way, you get a little bit pissed.
  • Hmmm for me you have to go on and the sooner you realize that you don't want something? One needs just to realize that something is lacking. Otherwise they feel little control, its like the prayer: I pray that I will be able to change what I can, accept what I cannot, and have the wisdom or blessing to see the difference.
  • My computer can't read the file.
    edited March 2011
    NEW FILES BEING UPLOADED NOW. GO CHECK.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Yeah now there's the older version DOC for earlier versions of Word and other programs that read that format, and PDF for whatever PDF reader you prefer (such as Adobe Reader, which is free to download from here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/).
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Interesting read @MindGate! Your understanding is evolving, changing, come back to this in a year and see if you still feel the same way, think the same way. :)
  • Thanks MindGate.Have read it. Maybe, you can include the five precepts.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    For a "beginners guide", it jumps into dependent origination and emptiness pretty quickly, then back-tracks to the real basic stuff.

I think this guide will be most useful to MindGate, who can look back on it one day and smile, for various reasons.

Namaste
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    It'd be helpful for anyone to compare their current thoughts with these, keeping in mind this is MindGate's baby, his creation. Some things you may think the same about, some things you may think differently about, but one thing's for sure... this is a window into the mind of MG, as far as what he thinks about Buddhism. You don't often get that (a big picture) from members here!
  • edited March 2011
    looking into my mind is like you looking at yourself in the mirror, we are one.
    I added a part about 5 precepts and made it a little bit clearer overall.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Sticky!!
    edited March 2011
  • @MindGate this is fantastic stuff! Thank you so much for sharing! :)
  • Is there a way to read it on itouch in a mobile version?
  • ...it should be on html or pdf (or simply copied here).
    I have it in pdf...