Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sex in Buddhism: Good, Bad, or Meh?

2»

Comments

• it seems the jhana states are used to gain insight from them. i get the whole feel good aspect of the jhana but it seems the states feel good to probably replicate the extremes in life. say like extreme bliss, which is better than sex.

the whole point is to see that they are of no-self, impermanent, and unsatisfactory.

so if you can do the same thing for sex and gain insight from it..good for you. if you can't like most of us, then work on jhana states. idk they seem more dangerous than sex. jhana states don't require another partner and you can do it whenever you want (once you've trained a lot).
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Cloud,
    It's all about letting go.
    Agreed.
    Anyway we're getting off-topic.
    Yes, sorry everyone.

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi Taiyaki,
    the whole point is to see that they are of no-self, impermanent, and unsatisfactory.
    Agreed, this is what I meant when I said "interpreting Jhanas through the context of the Buddha's Teaching".

Personally I don't do too much reflection on dukkha, mostly on anicca and anatta. I find that too much reflection on dukkha itself doesn't always lead to an increase in wholesome states and a decrease in unwholesome states...but maybe that's just me.

Metta,

Guy

• i feel if you get two out of the three. the last one is always there.

so focus on two out of three: no-self, impermanent, and unsatisfactory.

the last one is assumed. idk if this makes sense.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Taiyaki,
    i feel if you get two out of the three. the last one is always there.

so focus on two out of three: no-self, impermanent, and unsatisfactory.

the last one is assumed. idk if this makes sense.
    Yeah I know what you mean, it's like looking at the same object from different angles.

Metta,

Guy
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    If it's about experiencing bliss, it's not about the dispassion of liberation.
    haha! good one, Cloud! I'd love to turn you loose on some of the tantra masters.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @Dakini, That's not to say there's no point in certain practices, but you have to understand how those practices help give insight and lead toward liberation. I don't know any tantric practices myself, so I can't say much about them. The thing I'm saying is that it's not about getting lost in bliss or attached to the bliss, whatever the practice (jhana was my example because it's a known trap some people get stuck on). That's the opposite of what we're going for, which is detachment and mindfulness, clear and radiant knowing without upset. I'm sure that if it's being taught it must be for a good reason; you'd have to ask the person teaching it.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    yeah, on wikipedia it said that the practices that raise the tummo are for aiding concentration. I think there's a bit more to it than that.
  • maybe we can start a new thread about jhanas and the attachment to them...
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    maybe we can start a new thread about jhanas and the attachment to them...
    That sounds great, Vincenzi. go for it! :)
  • hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited March 2011
    'It would appear to me that the Buddha encouraged us to indulge in jhanas,'
    I dont think so.
  • I think sex can be beautiful in its tenderness and in its primal side too. Each can make you aware of the present moment and of feelings and thoughts arising and of your direct relationship, in the moment, with another human. It can be humbling and moving and fun and brought into your spiritual life, I think.
    This is more or less how I view it.

• edited July 2011
    Sex is all about craving.The Buddha in everything he said about sex implies... The activity of sex will never ultimately satisfy the desire for sex.Why do we want sex?Sex is for reproduce,but why people still desire sex even if they do not want to have children.It because sex give you pleasant,orgasm.Ask those who do not achieve orgasm or great feeling to see if they really desire it.If there is no orgasm or great feeling or bliss,will you want to have sex?What is we are like some animal?When they have sexul intercourse,they experience pain instead of pleasan.If you are them,would you still want to have sex?Buddha had alway warm us on the danger of sex.Itivuttak states,''Monks,there are theses three root of evil.What three?''.''lust is the root of evil,hate is a root of evil,delusion is the root of evil.These are the three root of evil'Lust and urgency of any sexual behaviour vanishes by itself once mindfullness,dispassion and stiffmind of mind has been developed.It possibly to control or even abolish lust.We can have no sex.Monk and many other who live a celibate life have show us.It only our ignorance,attachment and craving that make us think that sex is urgency and necessary.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Slow-motion sex is what most women expect, Tai. It's guys who think "the goal is to finish". For women, the goal is to enjoy the whole process. (I think MindGate is getting quite an education on this thread...) ;)
    Inaccurate generalisation.
    I expect to have a good time, whatever the speed. It's up to me to make it what I want. I 'expect' nothing from no-one...

• aMattaMatt Veteran

I 'expect' nothing from no-one...
    So if no-one gives something, you have dukkha?
  • YishaiYishai Veteran

Dukkha comes from the unexpected? The unexpected can also make us happy... I thought.
  • Desire without craving, pain without suffering - we have to believe this is possible, otherwise there is no liberation. Appearances never end.
  • In Buddhism, is it okay for lay people or monks to have sex?

Do Buddhist populations die out in a generation?

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • for lay people it's ok as long as its not "sexual misconduct" (which would be like rape or abuse)
    monks however do not have sex simply because they are dedicating themselves fully to buddhism and reaching nirvana
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Layeople, yes, OK....monks, no, no
  • In my opinion, there are two issues here.

One is about conduct. What do you objectively do? Very simply, do not hurt people with sex. That's entailed by not wanting to hurt people generally, and applies to anyone: monk, nun, Buddhist, Christain, atheist, etc.

I mean, if you resolve to be a good person, to be a kind person, then it would be very important to you not to hurt people, by any means, right?

On the other hand, if you want to become clear-minded, then only considering conduct is not sufficient. The issue now is desire and attachment.

I mean, if you really want to work your kinks out, the Christian / Victorian era method of making yourself hung up about sex just won't do: "I've never had a -- in my life, so I'm sexually pure." Or, "However much I want it, my iron will prevents me from SINNING!" Or combating naturally arising thoughts of sex with imaging yourself in a bathtub of bugs, or so on.

No, the issue is the attachment itself. On a trivial, mundane level, we all know there are a lot of different motives that people have sex. For a good time, along with heavy drink and drugs; for status and bragging rights; to prove one is still young; to give and receive pleasure; looking for some joy; as a means of relating to someone; as an expression of love. Among others.

All of these reflect a different form of attachment, no? Look into it.

The rule for monks, as I understand it, is chastity. Might be different in different traditions. Different historians (Max Weber, among others) say that the monastic tradition developed after the Buddha, as a series of pragmatic solutions to problems that arise from common living, making decisions, and keeping the community going as a prerequisite to transmitting the teaching.

Were I a monk, I'd follow the rules of the order. As I'm not a monk, I work on not hurting people and looking into where I'm attached.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Layeople, yes, OK....monks, no, no
    The pun is in the 'lay', people....!
  • edited July 2011
    The Satanic Bible (which has nothing to do with "satanism" or evil btw) says that sex and masturbation is necessary or your will build up poisons in your lower chakras. They point to the withered and fat monks who have completely denied their natural impulses. It poisons the body. I sorta agree with this... at least I don't discount the possibility.
  • The Satanic Bible (which has nothing to do with "satanism" or evil btw) says that sex and masturbation is necessary or your will build up poisons in your lower chakras. They point to the withered and fat monks who have completely denied their natural impulses. It poisons the body. I sorta agree with this... at least I don't discount the possibility.
    the second chakra can also be used in creative endeavours... there's plenty of options :)
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    with awareness the chakras and even sex can be useful. that is the function of tantra. i've been practicing tantra with my girl friend for a while now.

it's a radically different approach to sex, that isn't about domination, but rather complete awareness and care.

i suppose i take the more modern approach to tantra and sex.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran

Dukkha comes from the unexpected? The unexpected can also make us happy... I thought.
    I was just playing with the double negative. Not "unexpected"... "unmet expectation"
  • jlljll Veteran
    Sex is a powerful urge. People can live without sex, even masturbation. I have done it for long periods of time with no side effects. In Buddhism, it is recognised as a major obstacle on the
    spiritual path.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I seriously had pain eventually from giving up masturbation. I thought I had an epidydimitus. Did an ultrasound and no cancer etc. The doctor suggested that masturbation helped health in that area. I haven't had a problem since then.
  • jlljll Veteran
    edited July 2011
    In Buddhism, celibacy is required to attain nirvana.
    Celibacy means abstinence from ANY sexual activity.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    are you sure? have you attained nirvana?
  • In Buddhism, celibacy is required to attain nirvana.
    sutric quote missing :)

an anagami and a buddha can still have sex, probably he or she will not pursue it actively... but it is not a contradiction.

if you are free from craving ice-cream, you can still eat some... it is ok :)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Great thread!:)
  • it seems the jhana states are used to gain insight from them. i get the whole feel good aspect of the jhana but it seems the states feel good to probably replicate the extremes in life. say like extreme bliss, which is better than sex.

so if you can do the same thing for sex and gain insight from it..good for you. if you can't like most of us, then work on jhana states. idk they seem more dangerous than sex. jhana states don't require another partner and you can do it whenever you want (once you've trained a lot).
    kundalini is more dangerous than jhana states... if one follows the noble eightfold path, jhanas are harmless.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    yes, i agree kundalini is extremely dangerous.
    that's why it should always be done with someone who is qualified.

or not! hahahaha
    In Buddhism, celibacy is required to attain nirvana.
    Yes, I think we definitely need a reliable source for this snippet....

• I had an incident a few years back. I was practicing grounding with my base chakra and doing what they call "earth diving". That's where you take your sexual energy all the way down to the core of the Earth. It's almost like growing a tail... the experience is very real and powerful.

But anyway... I had a very scary experience once when "something" crawled up from below. I could feel them coming up from the Earth into my body. They looked like small little tiny beings with tails... almost like sperms but with faces. I could visually see them in my mind. They went up my back all over my body and they burned... real bad. Almost like whatever they where... their energy was incompatible with mine. Like "gray" energy.

I jumped off my cushion... with these things invading every pore of my body... ran out the front door and ran ran ran. When I stopped I was a good half-mile down the road kneeling down asking for forgiveness. I'm not sure why... but it felt like I had entered a place that I should have not.

I will never go that deep into the Earth again! I'm still not sure what the heck happened to me. But these things felt like the things that came out of the Ark in Raiders. :-|

The lower chakras are mysterious indeed!
    All Conditions are mind-wrought.
  • Is kundalini mind-wrought?
    yes.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    When I stopped I was a good half-mile down the road kneeling down asking for forgiveness. I'm not sure why... but it felt like I had entered a place that I should have not.
    This isn't uncommon. When we ask for things that require us to purge negative mental states, we get help doing that. It sounds like a karmic barf. Consider why certain practices are best left alone if we are without proper instructors and preparing.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I went into a retention pond because I thought the water was spiritual and got fire ants up my pant leg. That was fun, I soon became religious as I was washing them off in the shower.