Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Jhanas and attachment to them

VincenziVincenzi Veteran
edited March 2011 in Philosophy
In some commentaries about the Dharma, I read about freely being a "breath-aholic" (anapanasati).
after experiencing jhanas, it was quite evident that I could become addicted to them.

one of my remaining fetters is specifically: thinking about how nice it will be to live in arupa-dhatu to forget about everything else.
the other may be sumarised: it will be nice to live as bodhisattva for many lives to change samsara into a jhanic-friendly place!

as far as adictions goes, this may be the best one... any opinions about what is the best practice?

Comments

• what we really desire is freedom from desires.
    i feel that jhana states can be huge traps but they can also be the key to your awakening.
    the higher you go, the harder you fall. and really the game of spirituality is surrendering to what is.

i have heard that lots of people have attained jhanas. but a jhana state does not equate as awakening. i might be wrong about this but thats what i feel. and jhana is all mind states aren't they? they develop concentration and occasionally insight into the true nature of reality.

but you can gain insight into the true nature of reality by an infinite of different ways.
    since the true nature of reality is marked by no-self, impermanence, and unsatisfactory.

it is what it is though. whatever works for you!
  • I agree, but it is my opinion that jhanas are necesary for nirvana; as part of samma-samadhi.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    I think they're likely necessary for some direct experience the mind needs in its quest for liberation, but yeah getting attached to them is bad.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Cloud,
    I think they're likely necessary for some direct experience the mind needs in its quest for liberation, but yeah getting attached to them is bad.
    Aren't Jhanas reached through letting go? If so, how is it possible to get attached to letting go?

Metta,

Guy
  • @GuyC
    it refers to letting go of a type of pleasure, in the end it may be changing it for a "higher spiritual bliss". to this, one can become attached.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited March 2011
    you let go. and then you let go of the letting go.

you desire enlightenment. and then you have to let go the desire for enlightenment.

you stop thinking. then you stop, stop thinking.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi Taiyaki,
    you let go. and then you let go of the letting go.

you desire enlightenment. and then you have to let go the desire for enlightenment.

you stop thinking. then you stop, stop thinking.
    Perhaps "letting go of letting go" is something that Non-Returners on the Path to Arahantship should be working on, but it seems far from relevant to my experience.

Kind of like the simile of the raft...we should leave the raft behind once we are on the Further Shore, but how many of us can honestly say we are on the Further Shore? Don't ditch that raft too soon!

Metta,

Guy
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Aren't Jhanas reached through letting go? If so, how is it possible to get attached to letting go?
    Jhanas are a movement or flow of mind, like water whirlpooling out of a bath tub when the plug is pulled.

Pulling the plug is a metaphor for letting go.

Jhanas may certainly be reached through letting go however the mind may become absorbed in them so it resists doing other things.

This need not be an "egotistical attachment" but a pure mental tendency or flow.

Attachment to jhanas is always talking about them, as though they are the be all and end all of Buddhism.

This attachment to jhana can be so great that one regards them as Nibbana or regards states such as the cessation of perception & feeling as Nibbana.

When gurus teach like this, saying jhana is the be all and end all of Dhamma, to the point of justifying themselves by asserting "how is it possible to get attached to letting go", these gurus are attached.

Such gurus who regard mere "mental fabrications" as their "past lives" are certainly attached.

With metta

:)

• @Dhamma Dhatu
    please, not the "mental fabrications" discussion...
  • i think it's a problem for a lot of seekers.

you let go of a desire. then you need to let go of wanting to let go of a desire because that letting go is a desire.

this process is basically the same for everything.

when you see the buddha kill the buddha. you already are the buddha, so when you see an idea of the buddha in your head kill it. by killing i mean let go of it. then you need to let go of letting go.

so you let go. and then let go of letting go. most people get caught up in just letting go. let go to the end. let go of letting go. then see where you are standing.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    At this point I am going to let go of this conversation...
    edited March 2011
    Perhaps "letting go of letting go" is something that Non-Returners on the Path to Arahantship should be working on, but it seems far from relevant to my experience.
    One lets go from the very beginning. Ajahn Brahm teaches this in his book about jhana.

Letting go is for stream-enterers. How else can one enter the stream that flows to the ocean of Nibbana if one does not let go and dive into the river?

Our problem is superstition. We have been taught so many superstitions. We wish to believe via morality & some intellectual understanding & faith that we a stream-enterer, with only "seven more lives"...etc

We need to kill the buddha. Killing the buddha is the same as killing the gurus.

Kill the buddha, kill the gurus, kill the Brahma monks, kill them all.

For stream entry, 100% refuge is required in the empty mind so emptiness can be seen.

:om:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    You need to remain firm in your intent to know the truth, to obtain clarity of reality and liberate the mind from the ten fetters. Yes you should cultivate the jhanas as part of your path, but beware of getting attached to them as ends in themselves. It's a warning against a potential trap. The first jhana in particular is extremely blissful, beyond all sensual pleasure, and one may think there's no reason to worry about what's beyond it.

The jhanas are stepping stones to enlightenment, you master one and then move onto the next. If you find yourself going after jhana states for reasons other than the cessation of suffering, then you're more off to the side of the path if not completely off of it. If you find yourself unable to let go and move on to the next jhana, then you are attached.

Imagine the mind having the unifying peace and equanimity of deep jhanic states all of the time. That's the enlightened mind, possessed of clarity and stillness, and it's not found in becoming stuck to or attached to jhana experiences. It's found in learning and letting go. Ask a teacher if you're unsure, or if you don't believe this to be the case. See just what they say. :)
  • Me too.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Cloud,
    Imagine the mind having the unifying peace and equanimity of deep jhanic states all of the time. That's the enlightened mind, possessed of clarity and stillness, and it's not found in becoming stuck to or attached to jhana experiences. It's found in learning and letting go. Ask a teacher if you're unsure, or if you don't believe this to be the case. See just what they say. :)
    Ajahn Brahm is the most experienced meditation teacher I have contact with. I do not consider his words as authoratative, but I do consider his words as worthy of hearing. He speaks highly about the pleasure of Jhana, which is in line with the Latukikopama Sutta.

The reason why I said I will "let go of this discussion" is because I lack sufficient experience to contribute further in any meaningful way, all I can do is point to what the Buddha said about Jhanas. But you all have access to accesstoinsight.org so there is no point in me saying anything more.

Metta,

Guy
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Not having experienced Jhana I can only imagine their potential for attachment. My meditation at times is quite blissful (I am sure nothing compared to Jhanas) and there is tendency for me to want to encounter that mind state each and everytime. It is a constant reminder to me to let all expectations drop.

For DD:
    Is that Ajahn Brahm book you refer to " Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond"? I am currently reading it and am 1/3 of the way through. I like it very much

All the best,
    Todd
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Dhamma Dhatu,

I still don't understand your observation that telling stories of past lives is attachment to them. Are contemporary authors attached to the stories they tell? Not that they are buddhist. But couldn't a contemporary author tell a story? Based on a dream.. Or something they did that day?

Is the issue telling a story = attachment? That seems to be your primary argument. As you haven't touched on cognitively disproving the possibility, much like I cannot disprove the possibility that...insert random possible unproving thing randomly stacking or weakening the deck of my argument. Such as suppose I had said that I had X for dinner last night which I won't reveal because I fear lying and I don't want to divulge what I ate!

Again the issue is I am trying to understand. It is my style to analyze, and I understand that some things are hard to make clear.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited March 2011
    with deep a insight you realize that all stories aren't necessarily true.
    they are just ideas we construct. all these ideas relate to a past and future, though we can only tell a story right here and right now. what is true is our immediate experience of what is right now. thus using language or telling a story is removed from the actual experience of right now. well in a way it isn't because you can only tell a story in the present moment.

but people cling to the stories and ideas.

its okay to make stories up. for that's what we all do. but one must realize that all stories aren't real right now. and thus they are not worth holding onto. grasping onto anything will cause suffering.

edited March 2011
    Ajahn Brahm is the most experienced meditation teacher I have contact with.
    This sounds like more blind faith.

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi DD,
    Ajahn Brahm is the most experienced meditation teacher I have contact with.
    This sounds like more blind faith.
    He has been a meditator for about 40 years, many of those years as a monk. I didn't say "he is the best meditator in the world", just that he is the most experienced meditator I have contact with.

Anyway, his meditation instructions have helped me a great deal, I am not yet free from suffering, but I have certainly lessened my suffering somewhat since I started practicing his method of meditation. So the confidence I have in him as a teacher is not blind faith. Furthermore, that which he teaches that I cannot confirm through my own experience I usually check against the Suttas to see if it is in line with the Buddha's words.

Metta,

Guy
    edited March 2011
    He has been a meditator for about 40 years, many of those years as a monk.
    To me, more blind faith.

How long was Ajahn Jagaro a monk, before he disrobed?

Time means little. Many were monks for over twenty years and disrobed.

• I usually check against the Suttas to see if it is in line with the Buddha's words.
    Brahm teaches many things in ways that conflict with the suttas

Often the suttas are understood subjectively and are mistranslated

edited March 2011
    Anyway, his meditation instructions have helped me a great deal, I am not yet free from suffering...
    The Buddha said the only goal is to be free from suffering. If your mind has not reached this state then how has Ajahn Brahm helped you?

Often Ajahn Brahm helps people free their minds from anger, etc. But this is not the same as realising emptiness

Brahm is the Brahma God. He is teaching the way to heaven rather than to Nibbana.

I have never gained the impression Brahm is saliently teaching about emptiness, as Ajahn Chah did.

• Ajahn Brahm is a great dude. Because of his videos/talks I was brought to Buddhism.

He is very knowledgeable in all aspects of Buddhism. I think there is a reason why he doesn't speak directly about emptiness. Actually not a lot of people really talk about emptiness. Each schools/teacher place emphasis on what they feel is necessary for the group. But I am sure one on one teachings are quite different.

So he teaches for lay persons and everyone else in a dynamic way. Practical. Simple. And easy to digest.

But I agree with DD. It is like putting a band aid on our wounds. We all have to start somewhere though.
    edited March 2011
    I also think Ajahn Brahm is a great dude. He is one funny guy, spreads alot of metta & heals many wounds.

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi DD,
    He is teaching the way to heaven rather than to Nibbana.

I have never gained the impression Brahm is saliently teaching about emptiness, as Ajahn Chah did.
    He teaches different things to different audiences. Actually, many of the themes he talks about (such as letting go) he talks about to all audiences, just worded differently sometimes.

On Friday nights (the talks you see on youtube) he is teaching to a wide range of people, so he has to make his talks relevant to Buddhists at all stages and also non-Buddhists.

When he is teaching a meditation retreat the talks tend to be a bit deeper (you can download these at http://www.dhammaloka.org.au). On Wednesdays he gives talks to monks, nuns and lay people who are staying at the monastery, these talks definitely have a lot of depth to them (some of these talks are available in his book "Simply This Moment").

Metta,

Guy
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    It takes a certain amount of detachment to the senses to experience first jhana, but upon experiencing (first) jhana, one's mind may go the other direction and attach to the bliss. I mean why not? The mind is not enlightened, it is merely temporarily unified. The mind has every capability of becoming attached to jhana in delusion.

The whole reason the mind reaches unification is that the mind tends toward happiness. When that bliss begins to arise, the mind goes there of its own accord, all you have to do is remain aware of it. This is the nature of a mind that craves. The wisdom that this bliss is suffering, is not-self and transitory, must give rise to detachment. If the mind is still ignorant, it may not do so.

Getting stuck in first jhana and never progressing further is the danger zone. I'm really not just speaking out of my ass here or from book-learning, and I only say it so that danger can be recognized and it doesn't happen to you, but if you'd like to ignore it because of interpretations/perceptions of that being what the Buddha taught... that's up to you. More than enough has been said by now, there must be some clinging already to something!
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Cloud,
    Getting stuck in first jhana and never progressing further is the danger zone. I'm really not just speaking out of my ass here or from book-learning, and I only say it so that danger can be recognized and it doesn't happen to you, but if you'd like to ignore it because of interpretations/perceptions of that being what the Buddha taught... that's up to you. More than enough has been said by now, there must be some clinging already to something!
    I would greatly appreciate if you could back up what you say about "getting stuck in first jhana" with a Sutta reference.

Thanks + Metta,

Guy
  • I was going to defend Brahm but he has enough fans already.
    You can always rely on DD for a critical review.
    DD, you will do really well in MBA for critical thinking.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @GuyC, I wouldn't know where to look as far as sutras, but I did find a reference to this phenomena on a site where every nuance of the progress of enlightenment and meditation has been studied and compiled:
    People tend to really like this state, and may cling to it for the rest of the retreat if on retreat, or cultivate it again and again in their sitting practice at home. It is a valuable attainment, as it serves as the minimum foundation for both insight and concentration practices. From the first jhana there are basically three things a meditator can do. They can either get stuck there (I know someone who spent some twenty years cultivating the first jhana in their daily practice and thinking this was insight practice), they can progress to the second jhana, or they can investigate the first jhana and thus begin the progress of insight.
    (from http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/dharma-wiki/-/wiki/Main/MCTB The First Jhana?p_r_p_185834411_title=MCTB The First Jhana)

That plus my own experience. I'm sure if you were able to ask Ajahn Brahm or any teacher this specific question, they would say "yes, this is a common trap...". You'd best serve yourself to assume it quite possible to become a "jhana junkie" rather than reject it out of hand, until you actually are able to physically ask a meditation teacher about this. The only one standing to lose anything is you, no one else. Do you want to be one of the people, like in the bold statement above, that waste decades in first jhana?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi Cloud,
    You'd best serve yourself to assume it quite possible to become a "jhana junkie" rather than reject it out of hand, until you actually are able to physically ask a meditation teacher about this.
    It is not the case that I am rejecting it out of hand, but I wonder why you cannot present a Sutta backing up your claim. Surely if it was a common obstacle the Buddha would have talked about it.

If you want me to, you can write down your specific question here and I can give it to Ajahn Brahm tonight. If you are lucky he may even decide to give a talk about it.

Metta,

Guy
  • You can always rely on DD for a critical review.
    :lol:
    edited March 2011
    I would greatly appreciate if you could back up what you say about "getting stuck in first jhana" with a Sutta reference.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

translated from the Pali by
    Bhikkhu Bodhi
    "And how is the mind said to be internally positioned [stuck internally]?

There is the case where a monk, quite withdrawn from sensuality, withdrawn from unskillful (mental) qualities, enters & remains in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born from withdrawal, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation. His consciousness follows the drift of the rapture & pleasure born of withdrawal, is tied to... chained... fettered, & joined to the attraction of the rapture & pleasure born of withdrawal.

Or further, with the stilling of directed thoughts & evaluations, he enters & remains in the second jhana: rapture & pleasure born of concentration, unification of awareness free from directed thought & evaluation — internal assurance. His consciousness follows the drift of the rapture & pleasure born of composure, is tied to... chained... fettered, & joined to the attraction of the rapture & pleasure born of composure.

Or further, with the fading of rapture, he remains equanimous, mindful, & alert, and senses pleasure with the body. He enters & remains in the third jhana, of which the Noble Ones declare, 'Equanimous & mindful, he has a pleasant abiding.' His consciousness follows the drift of the equanimity & pleasure, is tied to... chained... fettered, & joined to the attraction of the equanimity & pleasure.

Or further, with the abandoning of pleasure & pain — as with the earlier disappearance of elation & distress — he enters & remains in the fourth jhana: purity of equanimity & mindfulness, neither pleasure nor pain. His consciousness follows the drift of the neither pleasure nor pain, is tied to... chained to... fettered, & joined to the attraction of the neither pleasure nor pain: The mind is said to be internally positioned.

translated from the Pali by
    Thanissaro Bhikkhu

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/9833/jhanas-and-attachment-to-them#Item_26.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I was going to defend Brahm but he has enough fans already.
    You can always rely on DD for a critical review.
    DD, you will do really well in MBA for critical thinking.
    DD lives in Australia as I do and there aren't any MBA's in critical thinking ... but then again having had a lot of experience with the university system here, higher degrees from here are generally over rated in there relevance.

• WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran

:lol:@andyrobyn- Does that make you a PhD or Master or something like that :) I've had an atrocious first and second attempt at getting degrees here in Australia 10+ years ago. Never could conform to the system in those days and too lazy. Now, when I'm actually interested in doing something productive, its too expensive. Maybe causes and conditions might point me in this direction in future? I'd actually like to spend 100% of my time on Buddhist endeavours.

Anyway, to get on topic...
    In Mahamudra tradition (as per Mind as Ease) meditative experiences are treated as "neither good nor bad". Letting go of the experiences allows us to see beyond the the experiences to allow stable insight to develop. Insight is not "wow" in result, it is a strong shift in our inner view, it doesn't fluctuate like experiences. Experiences have more of the "wow" factor. Traleg Rinpoche describes this much better in Mind as Ease than I can. An analogy of a meditative experience could be like looking at a blazing fire, whereas the insight could be who/what is looking at the fire, where the fire is located, what is burning, what is the fire. If you attached to watching the flames then you may miss these other things. You know there is an interesting analogy of Samsara where Samsaric beings are likened to a moth drawn to a fire to its demise- burnt by the flames that its attracted to.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    @DharmaDhatu, Thanks, I don't know the sutras well enough to find stuff like that, and some people think if you can't present it in a sutra then it doesn't exist. ;) It's good to equate "stuck" with "fettered", because as Buddhists we naturally understand fetters to be a problem we're trying to overcome.
    edited March 2011
    @Cloud. The Buddha taught there are ten fetters to full enlightenment, two of them specifically being lust (raga) for jhana. It follows attachment to jhana is certainly possible.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Jhana, no jhana. Whatever. You can only start where you are now.
  • Hi DD,
    He is teaching the way to heaven rather than to Nibbana.

He teaches different things to different audiences. Actually, many of the themes he talks about (such as letting go) he talks about to all audiences, just worded differently sometimes.

On Friday nights (the talks you see on youtube) he is teaching to a wide range of people, so he has to make his talks relevant to Buddhists at all stages and also non-Buddhists.

When he is teaching a meditation retreat the talks tend to be a bit deeper (you can download these at http://www.dhammaloka.org.au). On Wednesdays he gives talks to monks, nuns and lay people who are staying at the monastery, these talks definitely have a lot of depth to them (some of these talks are available in his book "Simply This Moment").

Metta,

Guy

I am reading "Simply this Moment". The talks for the monastics here are nothing like what he teaches to the lay people. It does sound like Aj Chah's teachings.

Regards
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Thank you very much for the Sutta reference, DD!