Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Starting Meditation

edited March 2011 in Meditation
Could anyone give me some tips for starting mediation.. I am bi polar so my mind races like crazy and I have been practicing but can't seem to stop those thoughts from permiating through... Thank you
With love, Jen

Comments

• Jen-

Have you spoken with your prescribing psychiatrist about this?

The reason I mention that is that, if your bipolar condition is not under optimal control and you cannot stop your racing thoughts, you may find meditation a very frustrating experience and you may stop because of this frustration even though it may do you some good.

But you cannot expect a major alleviation of bipolar symptoms from meditating. You just can't.

Be well.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    i posted this previously and someone mentioned it helped them.

so here is the puppy analogy:

your attention is like a cute little puppy.

imagine you have a overexcited puppy and you want him to calm down and remain in a box.
    Puppy keeps climbing out of the box. and run around the house.

All you have to do is put the puppy back in the box (gently) every time he get out.
    Eventually you get better at it and you catch the puppy sooner and sooner;

- At first the puppy keep escaping, and run around the house so you have to go look for him, then bring him back to the box.

- then you start to get better, soon you catch it right after he got out of the box, before he get a chance to run around the house.

- you get even better, you catch it right after he start climbing the box.

- you get even better and you catch it right when he start looking at the box a certain way, before he even start to climb the box.

And eventually, the puppy calm down and stay in the box for a while. you are now concentrated.

But puppies don't stay that calm for long, after a while of being calm, puppy want to get out of the box again... puppies are tricky ;)

ps: also watch this serie on youtube.
  • Let them come through, but don't fuel them. If you have a random thought, don't try to figure out what it means, don't try to interpret its' meaning. Always come back to the breath. If you have trouble, you can start counting your breaths in a way that takes some focus. For example, count like this (*in* 1 *out* 1, *in* 2 *out* 2...) go up to five, then start again going up to six then again to seven and so on. You will instantly know when your mind starts wondering too much because you won't know what number you're up to (in which case, you just start again). Guided meditation can help keep focus as well.

Good luck.
  • Puppy Analogy = cute
  • ...my mind races like crazy
    Try lying down, and starting the meditation with a body scan.
  • Reading a passage from one of my more well-read sutras usually puts me in a relatively focused state to start meditating. Taking refuge also helps. If there is a lot of noise (I have pets and I live with my brother and girlfriend) I usually turn a fan on nearby to drown out the distraction. Just talking about it is making me excited to get out of work and back to my cushion. :)
  • edited March 2011
    Puppy example is brilliant.

However, puppies don’t suffer from circadian rhythms, amygdala abnormalities, neurotransmitters imbalance.

Yacababy, take your medication, work closely with your doctor. Make sure they have diagnosed you properly. It might be a good idea to check your diagnosis with a neurologist.

Note, meditation MIGHT be helpful but it can be dangerous during the time you are between manic and depressive episodes.

Remember also, that bipolar disorder is an illness. Don’t feel guilty about your moods, emotions and behavior. You would not if you had a cold and sneezed on people around you. Shame on people who don’t understand that bipolar is just an disease as many others.

Good LUCK
  • With bipolar (I am schizo affective) quite often there are times when the mind is not racing. I know there are different types and this may not apply to you. But if so you can learn quite a bit in the in between times. When agitated I had times when I even climbed a full flight of stairs and started doing something in my room before I realized that I should be meditating downstairs. I mean I got up and walked without realizing! At these times I think the advice with the puppy is right, just return to your place and return to the breath. Any expectation that you should have a certain level of concentration is not in touch with the reality of what is happening. All you have to do is just touch back in with the practice each time you wander, gently.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Jen-

Meditation isn't for everyone. It can have adverse effects for some people. Check with your shrink.

• Jen-

Meditation isn't for everyone. It can have adverse effects for some people. Check with your shrink.
    I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder. I managed to be able to consult with HE Jampal Shenpen, the 98th Ganden Tri Rinpoche, about it, and he told me not to meditate too much.
  • I just hope my disorder doesn't hinder my dream of becoming a nun :(
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    I managed to be able to consult with HE Jampal Shenpen, the 98th Ganden Tri Rinpoche, about it, and he told me not to meditate too much.
    Lucky you :)

Did you go into the details in your interview?

Did he specify what he meant by "too much"?

was it "no more than 3-4 hours a day if you are into it" type of thing?
    or was it more like "no more than 10-20 minutes a day"?

Did he recommend to avoid retreats? Did he recommend to avoid retreats longer than __?

Did he mention anything conditional?
    Something along the line of "try not to meditate too much for now until you become more comfortable with your practice (Im ignorant of your experience with meditation at the time of the consultation so no offense implied)

thank you
  • It was actually just a one-line statement, something he said while we were taking leave of each other, sort of like an afterthought.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Little often says a lot.
    Very wise lama.
    Like the Buddha, he gave counsel, but left it to you to come to suitable and appropriate measures for yourself.

I think people should take note of this, and not over-think things.
  • Always gently and lightly is good advice. Like stretching you have to feel the effects. I think I recall reading news about some buddhists who meditated all day and even sleeped upright trying to meditate. They died or something, sorry no details, but the point of the article seemed to say that they had overdone it cuckoo. Then again there might be some people that is a good practice.
  • I begin with prostrations, seven times when I am feeling fresh or 21 times if I feel sleepy.This really wakes me up. Then I sit in front of my altar and start chanting with my mala.I do at least seven rounds of my Yidam mantra and seven rounds of my Protector's mantra when busy.With my mala around my neck and palms folded in front of my body, I visualize my mother(moon) sitting on my right and my father(Sun) sitting on my left.Seated right behind me is my direct family and then my indirect family.Behind them are my ancestors and finally all sentient beings.Then I visualize my Yidam (Kuan Yin) sending rays of white light into our bodies through the top of our heads. The light fills our bodies sending dirt, pus, germs ect. out of our bodies through the pores of my our skin.Then I visualize Kwan Yin coming down from my altar and standing in front of me.She puts her hand on our heads and beams of solid white light refills our bodies.(If I use the Buddhas, they shine golden light into our bodies)

Next, I do the Protectors Mudra and they shine light on me to give me their protection.I visualize them coming down from my altar and standing in the four corners of my room.

Next, I take a quick breath in through my nose and hold my breath.I gulp whatever air I have in my mouth and start concentrating on the ball of energy moving down my throat.I guide it down the central nadi until it hits the naval chakra making it spin like an exhaust fan.I can feel it spinning.I have started my meditation engine. Slowly I bring the energy up to my throat chakra and it starts spinning too.Then I bring the energy down to my heart chakra and spin it too. With three chakras spinning, I start chanting in my heart.All sentient beings also do the same.

I then start chanting my mantra.I use the clock method.This clock has only one long hand.I visualize it lying on my heart(along the central nadi) facing upwards. I chant Om at 12 o'clock, Ma at 2 o'clock, Ni at 4 o'clock Pad at 6 o'clock, Me at 8 o'clock and Hum at 10 o'clock. The whole process is repeated over and over again.At times I spin all three chakras at the same time.I feel the joy of the vibrations within my body.This works very well for me.

This is how I start each of my meditation sessions. Please, this is my own way of doing it.If it works for you, then good for you.I belong to no school.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Sounds cool to me :)

I do 5 minutes of walking meditation.
    Then an exercise such as stretching or pushups or something I make up
    Then I listen or read a dharma teaching
    Then I mindfully do a housework
    Then I mindfully eat a piece of fruit
    Then I write something in my journal

(sometimes I forget some)