Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thoughts on KUNDALINI

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited March 2011 in General Banter

What you think about this video and your personal opinion on Kundalini energy.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    This is a weird film (it seems strangely anti-Gurjieff). I'm interested in Kundalini, but I'd encourage you to find something more serious about it. If you're studying psychology, maybe someday you could spearhead a serious scientific study of Kundalini, Leon. :) But it would probably have to be funded by private donations, since it would be regarded as a "fringe" topic. Thanks for bringing up the topic, though.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2011
    whoever did this video has no significant experience with kundalini or meditation, and is not in contact with advanced mediators/yogis.

Kundalini experiences are likely to happen to you when you progress with Vipassana meditation, or Taoist dissolving meditation etc...

If the narrator had any idea what he was talking about, he could have made the assumption that the historical Buddha almost certainly did experience the kundalini energy. Hence the narrator would have avoided making these silly speculations.
  • Well, now, THERE's an interesting topic--did the Buddha experience Kundalini?

Kundalini experiences are likely to happen to you when you progress with Vipassana meditation, or Taoist dissolving meditation etc...
    If the narrator had any idea what he was talking about, he could have made the assumption that the historical Buddha almost certainly did experience the kundalini energy.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    Well, now, THERE's an interesting topic--did the Buddha experience Kundalini?
    if he didn't experience directly (which i don't think is a reasonnable assumption), he certainly helped many of his students to deal with these experiences.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    'certainly'...?
    Reference please.

You can't go making claims of that kind without back-up, I'm afraid....
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2011
    first of all yes i can, i just did ;)

Just research Tibetan Buddhist Yantra/Tummo.

interesting article here: http://www.buddhanet.net/mag_dy.htm
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thanks everyone for your contributions!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    first of all yes i can, i just did ;)

Just research Tibetan Buddhist Yantra/Tummo......

Not so.

Tibetan Buddhism proves nothing.
    Tibetan Buddhism was established a bucket-load of time after the Buddha passed into parinibbana, and it's an established fact that it incorporated much of Bon, which was then being practised in Tibetan culture.
    So most of what it teaches is fabricated and conceived from a Tibetan Buddhist cultural viewpoint, rather than a de facto teaching directly from the Buddha.

http://www.buddhistdoor.com/oldweb/bdoor/archive/nutshell/teach98.htm

If you make the claim, back it up.
    you want to state something on forum, YOU do the research.
    We're here listening to you, so it's up to you to back your statements up.
    Thanks.

• edited March 2011

Tibetan Buddhism proves nothing.
    Tibetan Buddhism was established a bucket-load of time after the Buddha passed into parinibbana, and it's an established fact that it incorporated much of Bon, which was then being practised in Tibetan culture.
    So most of what it teaches is fabricated and conceived from a Tibetan Buddhist cultural viewpoint, rather than a de facto teaching directly from the Buddha.

http://www.buddhistdoor.com/oldweb/bdoor/archive/nutshell/teach98.htm

If you make the claim, back it up.
    Could you tell us which section addresses your claim that TB incorporates much of Bon? The material here is saying(as far as I can tell) that TB came from the tantric tradition in India. I keep hearing that TB is based on Bon, but that's not what I see (can anyone say which aspects of it specifically come from Bon? I'd like to know). I see a tradition based on Indian tantra. That's why they call Vajrayana "Tantric Buddhism". And it involves raising the Kundalini, which the Tibetans call "tummo". The material further implies that the practice of magic also came from India, via Padmasambhava. This seems to contradict the idea that Bon influenced Buddhism. Who wrote the material on this link? "Nutshell" encapsulations don't always work well, and this seems to be written from the perspective of Tibetan mythology, rather than scholarship of any kind.

The Buddha may have experienced Kundalini as a side-effect of meditation, but we have no way of knowing for sure.
    edited March 2011

Could you tell us which section addresses your claim that TB incorporates much of Bon? The material here is saying(as far as I can tell) that TB came from the tantric tradition in India. I keep hearing that TB is based on Bon, but that's not what I see (can anyone say which aspects of it specifically come from Bon? I'd like to know).
    "Over time each religion, Pre-Bön and Tibetan Buddhist, for its own reasons synthesised and incorporated the main elements of the other.

Pre-Bön Religion

Although some people call this pre-7th century religion the Bön Religion, we identify it as the Pre-Bön Religion to differentiate it from its later innovations.

Pre-Bön Religion itself was a combination of two movements. On the one hand, at the grass roots level, it was a popular belief-system dating to pre-historic times. Combining ancient prophecies, rites and shamanistic interpretations of the human spirit and its position in the universe, it offered answers for important issues of pre-historic existence. For example, a shaman might mediate with the spirit world - often using animal sacrifice to do so - to cure an invalid, to prey for rain, or to furnish strategic advice for the village chief.

It was animistic, upholding that spirits are to be found within natural phenomena like trees, mountains, springs and lakes, all of which demanded to be propitiated.

With the rise of the first Tibetan Kings at the beginning of the first millennium, this widespread Pre-Bön Religion was co-opted to legitimise kingly rule. A religious institution, comprised of deities, mythologies, and rituals arose around the court. Priests and priestesses, believed to have superhuman skills, were incorporated within a political framework that involved ceremonies and royal burials.

By the time that King Songtsen Gampo tried to introduce Buddhism in the 7th century, the Pre-Bön Religion was popular throughout Tibet and held significant political sway at court.

Tibetan Buddhism and The Rise of the Bön Religion

The introduction of Buddhism in the 7th and 11th centuries heralded changes for both Pre-Bön Religion and Tibetan Buddhism. After the 11th century the Pre-Bön Religion adopted many aspects of Tibetan Buddhist doctrine, such as Tantric meditation techniques and monasticism to become the Bön Religion. To many spectators this now appears to have developed into its own school of Buddhism. Contemporaneously though, Buddhism in Tibet adopted many aspects of the Pre-Bön, indigenous religion in order to achieve greater popularity."

From here:

http://www.imperialtours.net/tibetan_buddhism.htm
    I see a tradition based on Indian tantra. That's why they call Vajrayana "Tantric Buddhism". And it involves raising the Kundalini, which the Tibetans call "tummo". The material further implies that the practice of magic also came from India, via Padmasambhava. This seems to contradict the idea that Bon influenced Buddhism. Who wrote the material on this link? "Nutshell" encapsulations don't always work well, and this seems to be written from the perspective of Tibetan mythology, rather than scholarship of any kind.
    Hope the link I have provided is useful..... :)
    The Buddha may have experienced Kundalini as a side-effect of meditation, but we have no way of knowing for sure.
    My point exactly.
    So the word 'certainly' is inappropriate - not to say inaccurate - here.

• I like this new link, Fed. But if shamanism and animism was "pre-Bon", what, then, was Bon? But we digress. Though this (the info you just quoted) would be a great subject for a separate thread. I see the growing need for a Tibetan Buddhism discussion category, what do you think?
    OFF-TOPIC:

Put it to Lincoln.
    Originally Brian and he were reluctant to create sub-forums for different traditions, because it tends to cause heightened emotions and subsequently, arguments and division.
    You only have to look at, and remember, E-Sangha to know why this is a well-placed and legitimate cautionary attitude....

But now that NB has grown somewhat, I don't know whether they still feel the same, or might re-consider.
    It's best to write him a PM.
    Link this thread, if you like....

BACK TO TOPIC! :D
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Kundalini is my favorite topic, Leon. But why the tie-in with Islam? Does Sufism have a Kundalini practice? FYI, the founder of Sufism came from the Inner Asian oasis region, which was Buddhist when he was born and raised, so that explains what appears to be a significant amount of Buddhist influence in Sufism. Who produced this film, Leon? It seems to have a number of unusual agendas.
    We can always trust Leon to come up with some really off-the-wall, bizarre and decidedly obscure material...maybe we should nickname him 'Jude'.... :D
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Leon also comes up with some great stuff, on scientific research on meditation, for example. I'm up for discussion of Kundalini anytime! :)

(Who's "Jude"?)
  • I've had spontaneous experiences that I've been told are due to kundalini. I practice kundalini yoga to try and avoid these experiences.

I've never come across anything in Buddhist literature to suggest it is relevant to the buddhist path so I don't see it as anything special. It feels good, but otherwise it's just a distraction.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2011
    "Tibetan Buddhism proves nothing.
    Tibetan Buddhism was established a bucket-load of time after the Buddha passed into parinibbana, and it's an established fact that it incorporated much of Bon, which was then being practised in Tibetan culture."

Sri Lanka was also not Buddha's culture. So therefore Therevadan Buddhism as it is practiced in a non-written form is also not directly from Buddha. To extend that I doubt that it would be easier to become enlightened solely from reading scripture as opposed to learning from experienced practitioners. Or impossible to learn in cultural isolation (my doubt).

Additionally the Pali Canon is not written by buddha, but is a canon which might have had political elements.

Even doll and video game forums have politics. Workplaces, kindergartens etc.
    Leon also comes up with some great stuff, on scientific research on meditation, for example. I'm up for discussion of Kundalini anytime! :)

(Who's "Jude"?)
    Jude the Obscure...? Thomas Hardy...?

Forget it, the link is tenuous.....

:D
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I've never come across anything in Buddhist literature to suggest it is relevant to the buddhist path so I don't see it as anything special. It feels good, but otherwise it's just a distraction.
    Interesting observation, Paradox. I'm leaning towards thinking you're right. The thing is, Tantric Buddhism has focussed on it as a quick path to Enlightenment, or even as Enlightenment itself. I'm starting to think that's a mistake. If people want to wallow in Kundalini because it feels good and gives them insights, that's fine, but they shouldn't confuse it with Enlightenment, and maybe they shouldn't call it Buddhism. :-/ I dunno.
  • Its interesting how Kundalini is discussed as a medical object. I wonder how it is ecstatically experienced?
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    I suspect that tummo is something that is experienced naturally as a result of progress as the subtle body is exposed due to the reduction in clinging to the world of form. Its only a suspicion and I don't have any facts to back it up at this stage as I haven't been able to research this to date or talk to my teacher about it. I also think illusionary body, dream/sleep yoga, clear light yoga are similar in this respect, again suspicions only. They might have been formalised out of ancient India yet the experiences are just natural causal results of meditation, possibly formless meditation. I am more than happy if someone tells me I'm completely wrong here?

I have refrained from commenting on personal meditative experience generally, but maybe this should be noted for caution's sake: I may have experienced something similar to tummo, yet it was spontaneous and involved no communication with my teacher, I also experienced chest pain after a while of this experience. I have a small plaque in my cardiac artery that was picked up in a scan a number of years ago, with this in mind I decided to take it easy and not follow this through until I have had the proper guidance from my teacher, although it was never intentional in the first place.

I guess what I'm saying is be careful before playing with fire :)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    You guys are too kind!:)
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited March 2011

So most of what it teaches is fabricated

Please back up your claim that Tibetan Buddhism is 'fabricated' - that is, 'invented' or 'concocted'.

All religion is 'fabricated' and culturally sensitive.
  • whether or not something is fabricated or not is irrelevant. everything serves a function for a certain demographic. one must realize the function and where that function is geared towards.

whether something is authentic or made up doesn't matter. it may not help you but it may help someone else.

from what i've heard (not my experience) kundalini just happens as a result of either awakening/meditation. it's just the awakening of the root chakra and closing off of the other chakra centers, thus the energy from the root chakra flow upwards towards the crown and is release there.

now many people would say that this brings enlightenment. i think it can for some people and i think it doesn't for some people. it is either the fruits of meditation/awakening or just another phenomena that doesn't relate to anything. only the individual that experiences "this energy" will be able to tell.

i used to not believe in chakras and such, but i have experienced certain chakras, so from my experience i know they exist. but i have never had my kundalini rise up or anything.

has anyone opened their crown using kundalini?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Its interesting how Kundalini is discussed as a medical object. I wonder how it is ecstatically experienced?
    Not sure what you mean by discussing Kundalini as a medical artifact (wouldn't it be great if the med profession or science actually investigated Kundalini!), but how it's experienced varies depending on how well-prepared a person's chakra system is. Anyway, speaking from experience (one spontaneous Kundalini "attack"; it's very intense), there's a highly intuitive aspect to it, where it seems that suddenly you understand profound "mysteries of the universe" (I wish I'd written everything down at the time!). It can be a seemingly bizarre blend of sexual energy and spiritual energy, or for the lucky ones without blockages in their chakra system, spiritual bliss and insight. And like Who, I've been told the Kundalini can rise as a result of years of meditation.

me on Kundalini: :crazy: An advanced meditator on Kundalini: :om:
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I'm in touch with a tantra yoga monk who trained in India for many years. He claimed to experience samahdi several times. He teaches me yoga, tantra philosophy, and has told me all types of stories. So I know a little bit about kundalini.

One main thing that I learned about kundalini that really turned me off, is that supposedly the more you hold your sperm in the more it also raises your kundalini. This is for men I believe (not sure about women). This monk friend of mine is writing a book on celibacy too. But anyways, that's very polar opposite from what I want from the world.

So even if you could be all powerful with kundalini due to holding your sperm in, I don't think it be worth it for me. I feel believing that might just be ignorant and outdated dogma. But like I said even if it is true, I rather be able to orgasm rather than be enlightened.
  • I rather be able to orgasm rather than be enlightened.
    According to the literature, orgasm and ejaculation are two separate functions. The idea is to experience orgasm without ejaculating; that's what raises the Kundalini and causes the "Great Bliss" experience. But it takes a lot of effort, preparatory exercises, etc. I found comments on the internet that some guys say it's not worth it, after trying it. Others say it is worth it.

• "Over time each religion, Pre-Bön and Tibetan Buddhist, for its own reasons synthesised and incorporated the main elements of the other.

Only some dress is incorporated, but the practices, deities, understanding, intention, etc. are all from the Indian Tantric tradition.

This is definite. Bon these days is basically just Vajrayana with some minor differences, but the outlook, intention, understanding is the same as Vajrayana of India. All the main tantric scriptures existent in what is called TB are all from India, the Tibetans only commented on them, endlessly.

The main schools of Vajrayana that are still existent today are all based upon Indian Buddhist Tantra. There are many scholarly works one can read that talk about this. The main goal of Vajrayan is no different from what the Buddha taught, it's just from a different capacity.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Welcome back, Vajraheart! ^_^
  • Thanks Dakini!! We still don't have internet at our new place so I'm in a coffee shop... I'm not going to be on all that much. Thanks Dakini for all your support and love though... much appreciated and felt!!
  • I rather be able to orgasm rather than be enlightened.
    According to the literature, orgasm and ejaculation are two separate functions. The idea is to experience orgasm without ejaculating; that's what raises the Kundalini and causes the "Great Bliss" experience. But it takes a lot of effort, preparatory exercises, etc. I found comments on the internet that some guys say it's not worth it, after trying it. Others say it is worth it.

There are a few ways one can do this. One can eventually through practice ejaculate without harming the inward tantric experience, but the practice has to have reached a certain level within through contemplation and practice in retention because the energy is generally associated with the ejaculate, but one can internalize the energy and not loose it through ejaculation. One has to have opened chakras and done some level of inner work and have breath control and have sensitivity in stilling the wind in the central channel.
  • It's way, way worth it!! By the way... Those that say it's not have not experienced the fruit.
  • To me holding in ejaculation to raise kundalini is exactly what it sounds like. Holding it in. So isn't that in essence very different from Buddhism? Because Buddhism teaches not to be attached and to "let go" lol. So if you're attached to holding in your sperm and not fully orgasm that is fundamentally very different from Buddhism (Theravada at least). It seems very unnatural for a man to orgasm and make an effort to also hold in their sperm. You have to make a strong conscious effort to hold it in that way. It just seems to take the "oomph" out of a sexual encounter, doesn't sound very fun that way.

So essentially I don't think it can work for everyone the same way being a vegetarian can't work for everyone. I love sex and meat too much to ever consider giving up those things long term. Death is guaranteed, might as well live it up.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2011
    It's way, way worth it!! By the way... Those that say it's not have not experienced the fruit.
    We can count on Vajraheart to give us the inside scoop! :)
    Because Buddhism teaches not to be attached and to "let go"
    Buddhism teaches discipline. Mindfulness, meditation, precepts, these are disciplines.
    It just seems to take the "oomph" out of a sexual encounter, doesn't sound very fun that way.
    Some people say it isn't fun. But the point is that the extended bliss state that results (hours,from what I read) is incomparably more rewarding than the fleeting moments of ordinary orgasm. We'll never know without trying it, but it usually takes years of practice and special meditations, etc. to get to the point where it works.

The Taoists, BTW, seem to have a method of achieving the same, with just a fraction of the time required for the preliminary practices.
    So essentially I don't think it can work for everyone the same way being a vegetarian can't work for everyone.
    Maybe so.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2011
    There are other ways of raising the Kundalini, BTW. Certain breathing techniques can do it, and our former member kayte says she brings it up with what sounds like fairly ordinary meditation. That sounds unusual, she must have a special connection with it, or a gift for bringing it up. And as someone has mentioned, the Kundalini can spontaneously come up as the result of steady meditation practice.

(Maybe Leon wasn't expecting his Kundalini thread to get so spicy...^_^ )
  • To me holding in ejaculation to raise kundalini is exactly what it sounds like. Holding it in. So isn't that in essence very different from Buddhism? Because Buddhism teaches not to be attached and to "let go" lol. So if you're attached to holding in your sperm and not fully orgasm that is fundamentally very different from Buddhism (Theravada at least). It seems very unnatural for a man to orgasm and make an effort to also hold in their sperm. You have to make a strong conscious effort to hold it in that way. It just seems to take the "oomph" out of a sexual encounter, doesn't sound very fun that way.

So essentially I don't think it can work for everyone the same way being a vegetarian can't work for everyone. I love sex and meat too much to ever consider giving up those things long term. Death is guaranteed, might as well live it up.
    None of these perspectives are going to allow you to progress much on the path. Contrary to your assertion that tantric semen retention is attachment, it sounds like you are quite attached to your conditioned states of pleasure. Which you should know from any of your readings about Buddhism, is not the path to true and lasting inner joy!

Also, you cannot project Theravada precepts onto Vajrayana as the techniques are different. At the same time, Theravada has a monk vinaya path so semen retention goes hand in hand with Theravada monks.

&

Of course anything done contrary to samsaric conditioning is going to be hard at first as you have had lifetimes and lifetimes of being conditioned by samsaric nature, such as; to propagate the species, to feed your hunger for the sake of survival, find pleasure and avoid pain through any means necessary. None of which if attached to as the end all be all purpose of life is going to bring you to any of the inward goals of any form of Buddhism.

Theravada monks eat once a day during noon and they don't eat much, and not so much for pleasure either but just to support their body for the sake of inward focused spiritual practice.

Tantra is going to have a different perspective on a whole lot of things that we generally take for granted in life. If you are even interested in spiritual disciplines, that means you want something more out of life beyond the mere pleasure seeking, avoiding of pain which the general masses live their lives conditioned by. Tantra is about transforming the experience of base pleasure into energy for spiritual evolution.

Tantric sex is far more fulfilling, both for you and your partner than worldly animal lust sex. I've practiced Tantric style sex for so long that I've almost forgotten how to have the animal lust version, and sometimes my semen just retains itself without any special effort on my side as I've opened up the inner path for this to happen through disciplined focus for a number of years with a female tantric practitioner. My orgasms are amazing and deeply energizing!! I'm not one of those guys that falls asleep after orgasm, in fact... if I was tired before, I wake up afterwards. At the same time... I'm not promoting myself as a Tantric master, so please don't think that I am. I've just experienced some fruit from the practice and it's life long benefits. Even little things like eating has been enhanced as my senses are more powerful through the practices.
  • I think kundalini shouldn't be dismissed so easily... it can be helpful; as long as it is the original version and not new age trivial practices.