Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What's wrong with falling asleep in meditation?

edited March 2011 in Meditation
Unless you have a goal in mind, what's wrong with falling asleep meditating? I find it more relaxing that going over the day's happenings, who said what to whom and why, etc. Churning all that around like a rotor-tiller. And still remarkable things do come up in dreams and visions just the same.

Maybe the question should be, Why do some folks have a goal of not falling asleep?

Comments

• I think that goal of not falling is asleep is that you're supposed to be mindful. I know that in Zen, I believe, they have a stick that they can lightly strike you on the back with (upon request) to keep you alert and focused on your meditation.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Because when you sleep, you are not alert. Its not "bad"; it is also not meditating, it is sleeping.

I would consider what you describe as "Relaxing before bed" or "Quieting the mind before a nap." Sweet dreams!

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Dear Starduster,

The aim is peaceful awareness because this strengthens the mind. But sometimes you just need to accept you are sleepy and have peace with it indeed. Sometimes I just decide to nod off for a while, letting sleepiness be when I notice that is the best way.

But this is not often the case. Most of the times it is like a disinterest in the meditation object. The breath becomes boring for example. If your mind doesn't like to be aware of your meditation object, it often prefers to sleep instead. And to always go sleeping, that's not going to get you in deeper states. You'd be better off in bed! ;)

So try to love to meditate. Think about all the beautiful times you can have if you are aware of it! Awareness is great.

Sabre :)
  • Because sleeping is sleeping and meditation is meditation. If you want to go shopping, you don't aim for going fishing, do you?
  • To each their own, I suppose, and so it should be.

I have been doing this since 1974. At first I used to repeat a question over and over again, and get good answers, until I ran out of questions. Since then I wait to see what I will be 'shown', silently, eyes closed in darkness, motionless, not moving at all, not even to scratch an itch (they go away by themselves if left alone.)

I have been known to do this for as much as 8 hours, until my alarm went off, without falling asleep or getting anything. Just lying there silent and motionless. I thought it had only been a few minutes, but even if the clock was wrong the Sun wasn't.

But then other times I have visions or vivid dreams, or even astral travels, which I especially like. When I am aware that I am dreaming, they are interactive, like being in a 3d videogame or something like that. I'm not always human, often not in this world, and often have no body at all, just formless awareness flying at the speed of thought, and penetrating into people and things.

And sometimes I just fall asleep, and that's okay too. I never know what will happen next, and I like surprises and revelations.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I once heard the story of a Zen teacher at one particular sesshin or intensive retreat. One of the sesshin officers complained to the teacher that there was one particular student who was doing nothing more than sleeping. The officer said he thought the snoozer ought to be thrown out ... he wasn't doing things right.

But the teacher disagreed: "Let him stay. No one can sleep for seven days."

Sleep all you like. You have to wake up some time.
  • There was once a homeless man, disheveled, with a long scraggly beard, who would sleep in the church I went to in my youth. He snored loudly, and always sat in the front pew. Very disconcerting, but since we were all such good Christians no one said anything to him, and we all talked about him behind his back.

He probably thought it was a great place to sleep, and maybe sometimes he had angelic dreams. Who knows.

I think meditation is a journey of Self discovery, and everyone should take it at their own pace, learning as they go along, and modifying the common knowledge to suit themselves, as to their best advantage.

So I'm fine with what I'm doing, and I'm fine with what others are doing, even if they are not in agreement with me, or satisfied with their own performance.
  • Starduster, that's the right attitude, I think.
  • At first I used to repeat a question over and over again, .
    Can you do meditation like this? Could you kindly tell me more.
  • Unless you have a goal in mind, what's wrong with falling asleep meditating? I find it more relaxing that going over the day's happenings, who said what to whom and why, etc. Churning all that around like a rotor-tiller. And still remarkable things do come up in dreams and visions just the same.

Maybe the question should be, Why do some folks have a goal of not falling asleep?
    There was once an old Zen Monk who developed the habit of falling asleep while in sitting meditation, and sleeping so deeply nobody could wake him up. So the Temple Master suggested he practice meditation on the nearby riverbank, and perhaps the cool, fresh air would help him stay awake.

So the old monk settles in for a day of solitary meditation outside, on the river bank, but soon the sound of water and birds and wind in the leaves lolled him to sleep. This time, he toppled over and fell into the gentle current of the river. So deep was his sleep that he didn't even wake up, just bobbed on down the stream in meditative pose, floating on his back and snoring.

Now some of the younger monks were tending the garden downstream, and were naturally astonished to see the old monk float past them, snoring away. They laughed and decided to let him stay in the river until he woke up, to teach him a lesson about sleeping in meditation. They also went to tell the Master what happened, still laughing.

The Master shook his head, and said, "The old sleeping monk will soon discover that first there is a river, then there is no river, then finally it is again a river! If only you monks had learned this before now!"

The monks bowed deeply. "We see now that laughing at the old monk's problem was being cruel. Even sleeping monks have Buddha nature. Thank you for the teaching."

"No, you fools," the Master said. "I mean, there's a waterfall further on downstream. Go catch the old monk before he goes over it!"

• edited March 2011
    Unless you have a goal in mind, what's wrong with falling asleep meditating? I find it more relaxing that going over the day's happenings, who said what to whom and why, etc. Churning all that around like a rotor-tiller. And still remarkable things do come up in dreams and visions just the same.
    This is a strange question. What you're saying is, as a substitute for meditation, sleeping is more relaxing than reviewing the day's events. Why substitute anything for meditation? Just meditate. It's a discipline. Sleeping or letting your mind wander over past events isn't a discipline. Your mind should be on your breath, or on a visualization or a dharma principle (compassion, loving-kindness) while you're meditating. This helps develop concentration, focus, one-pointedness-of-mind, as well as (with more advanced practice), insight, among other things. This is what meditation is about. If it were purely about relaxing, then you're right; you might as well sleep.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    what's wrong with falling asleep meditating?
    What's right with it? Sleeping and meditating are two completely different activities.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @Cinorjer, Very funny tale! :)
  • edited March 2011
    I think that goal of not falling is asleep is that you're supposed to be mindful. I know that in Zen, I believe, they have a stick that they can lightly strike you on the back with (upon request) to keep you alert and focused on your meditation.
    Being mindful is the same as being mindless. Looking through a broken lens mindfully is no more fruitful than goofing around. It is like a being a soldier and mindfully killing enemy combatants to secure the perimeter.
  • At first I used to repeat a question over and over again, .
    Can you do meditation like this? Could you kindly tell me more.
    ...I don't think that's meditation.
  • what's wrong with falling asleep meditating? I find it more relaxing that going over the day's happenings
    Relaxation is not the goal of Buddhist meditation. It is simply one of the tools, a means to an end

IMO, beginning meditators especially should make an effort to stay awake. This is because most people are psychologically conditioned to fall asleep when they close their eyes and relaxed. This association should be broken ASAP or it will continue to be enforced, even when sitting up.

I have a friend who would always fall asleep when meditating, even when in front of his private meditation teacher (non-Buddhist)! The teacher never made it a point to address the issue ("Good, you're very concentrated!") and I believe his practice has stalled because of it.

Meditation, in some ways, is the opposite of sleep. That is why the Buddha is called "The Awakened One."

So strive to be awake.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi Starduster,

Sometimes you need to sleep A LOT before you can meditate properly. Many people are tired from work or study (or worse, both!) and so their mind lacks sufficient energy to meditate effectively. Take a nap, take two naps, sleep longer at night, whatever you need to do (and have the time to do). Sleep until you wake up naturally, no alarm clock. Then you will be ready to meditate. :)

Lack of sleep is not the only reason people fall asleep when they meditate, but I would guess that it is most likely the main reason.

If you fight the tiredness you simply replace one hindrance (sleepiness aka "sloth and torpor") for another (restlessness). So fighting the sleepiness is usually not the wisest option, in my opinion.

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    But the teacher disagreed: "Let him stay. No one can sleep for seven days."

Sleep all you like. You have to wake up some time.
    Well said.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi Starduster,

Sometimes you need to sleep A LOT before you can meditate properly. Many people are tired from work or study (or worse, both!) and so their mind lacks sufficient energy to meditate effectively. Take a nap, take two naps, sleep longer at night, whatever you need to do (and have the time to do). Sleep until you wake up naturally, no alarm clock. Then you will be ready to meditate. :)

Lack of sleep is not the only reason people fall asleep when they meditate, but I would guess that it is most likely the main reason.

If you fight the tiredness you simply replace one hindrance (sleepiness aka "sloth and torpor") for another (restlessness). So fighting the sleepiness is usually not the wisest option, in my opinion.

Metta,

Guy
    Hi Guy,

All you say is true if you've really stressed your mind, but if you fall asleep every time you meditate it is more probably just a lack of interest in meditation or the meditation object. If you take a nap everytime you meditate, the mind will always think it is time to sleep when it sees the meditation cushion and that is not the way. Especially for beginners, they'll start losing interest in meditation because they always think it is just plain boring.

Meditation is about peace yes, so fighting is indeed never wise, but concentration in meditation is just as important. When the mind has nothing it likes to focus on, dullness until the level of sleep just happens, nomatter if you are tired or not. And if you just keep accepting that, it will never improve concentration. If you are focused you can sometimes see this disinterest in the breath happening very clearly and you can just steer the mind away from dullness back into awareness.

I think this is what's going in in this particular case. It's quite clear he doesn't care about awareness, doesn't have a goal, likes sleeping, likes dreams and that's exactly why he keeps falling asleep. But that has nothing to do with meditation, dear Starduster :) You are missing out on a lot of nice peaceful awareness this way.

Starduster, if it still keeps happening, you might like to pick up walking meditation. It's hard to fall asleep when walking ;)

Metta,
    Sabre
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Sabre,

Maybe you are right. Maybe Starduster can try your suggestion and see if it works. :)

Metta,

Guy
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Falling asleep defeats the point, Meditation is a concentrative exercise to refine the mind, Tame it and make it complient...letting it wonder will only take us where we have been before.
  • edited March 2011
    Why do some folks have a goal of not falling asleep?
    I don't know but I found that when mind being tired tends to falling asleep during meditation, it is best to meditate while falling asleep. :om:
  • I'm with thecap. Attending to the experience of falling asleep is very productive.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Meditation is about being awake. It isn't about relaxation.

P
  • Meditation is about being awake. It isn't about relaxation.
    Hi porpoise. Meditation is about being awake, not about relaxation, but some are trying too hard. Relaxation is one factor contributing to the same goal as meditation.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Meditation is a form of relaxation, but there's more to it than that. It's a discipline. Sleep isn't a discipline.
  • if you meditate while falling asleep you can practice lucid dreams and then astral travel.
    however, I have not tested this.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Meditation is about being awake. It isn't about relaxation.
    Hi porpoise. Meditation is about being awake, not about relaxation, but some are trying too hard. Relaxation is one factor contributing to the same goal as meditation.
    I agree. Meditation isn't about feeling tense either.

P
  • It sounds like in your meditation your having trouble letting go of the thoughts and the tensions, and instead of battling with that you would rather just fall asleep. Quite logical if you don't understand what's really happening, and what you can do to meditate correctly. What you need to do when your meditating is to relax. If while you are meditating you find that your mind is going off on a trail of thoughts, you need to let go of those thoughts. After you let go of the thoughts you need to relax. After you relax, you will notice that there is a clear spot in your mind with no thoughts, and no tension. This is called the cessation of suffering (the 3rd noble truth). With this clear mind you will return to your object of meditation (breathing in and relaxing, breathing out and relaxing), and through this you will develop pure concentration that is enjoyable and will conduce to you staying awake and mindful. What you will have to do is practice this many times. After you practice long enough, your mindfulness and concentration will become very sharp. What your practicing right now is the last three parts of the noble eightfold path (the 4th noble truth), that is conducive perspective (not taking the process of dependent origination personally), conducive intention (renunciation & loving kindness), conducive speech, conducive action, conducive livelihood, conducive effort, conducive mindfulness, and conducive concentration. When you get all of these factors cultivated correctly, it will conduce to final Nibbana. Good luck. :). :).
  • Sleeping makes your mind lazy. Hence if you keep on doing it, your mind will be groggy all the time instead of alert.
  • At first I fell asleep too when first learning to meditate but then I either took a short nap or a pleasant walk in nature before I meditated. That seemed to solve the problem. It also cleared my mind of "little bits" that were cluttering up my mind. Watching clouds at start of meditation is also a good entry point.
  • tea helps too! Not coffee though, that unfocuses ya mind!
  • Nothing pathetically improper for your body to sleep while you mind is always present. Dun you think corpse also sleep? So, when you sleep, it is like corpse does but your nature of mind is present.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Sleepitating is not meditating.