Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rob Bell & a new Christian perspective

taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
edited March 2011 in Faith & Religion
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=77024018179262526#

I was raised Christian and now consider myself a Buddhist. So reading up on Christian mystics and Christians in general who somewhat marry Buddhist ideas with Christianity interests me.

Rob Bell points out that there is no distinction during the times when the bible was written...between what is spiritual and what isn't. Rob Bell asserts that everything is spiritual. So to make a distinction between what is god and what isn't is wrong. And he points out that the kingdom of heaven is the present moment.

It's an interesting view and I'd love for you guys to watch and give insights to where you agree/disagree.

Thank you.

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Hi taiyaki -- I hope you will forgive me for offering an uninformed opinion. I offer it in the same way I might if I told you that chocolate is a favorite of mine and you said you were really partial to vanilla. It's just a matter of taste, but when you tell me and I tell you, then each of us is made aware that our favorites are just that -- a personal matter and OK as such.

First of all, I couldn't bring myself to watch all of the video. I'm too old and lazy to sit still for chirpy, up-beat, agreement-prone instructors. OK -- some like chocolate, some like vanilla.

Second: As a Buddhist, I am a big fan of people investigating their own history. Without digging in and digging down, the likelihood of happiness or any sort of meaningful peace is drastically reduced and the possibility of war -- both interior and exterior -- rises exponentially. I live, and perhaps you do to, in a culturally Christian country (USA). If I had been brought up a Christian, I would want to look into that carefully. Since I was not brought up Christian, it still behooves me to investigate the environment in which I live. I probably have not done a very good job, but that's part of why I am writing ... so that you can see my flaws, consider what a nitwit I may be, and vow not to be the same sort of nitwit.

Third: While I can respect some Christians, I find Christianity an exercise for beginners at best. No rancor here -- it's just my chocolate. What I distrust about Christianity as a peace-bringer is that it relies on belief. Belief, in my experience, just expresses doubt ... the greater the belief, the greater the doubt. While it is true that everyone who sets off on a spiritual path begins with belief and hope, the experience that practice brings over the years leaves belief in the dust. Experience trumps belief and it trumps hope. Belief implies that there is something else, some other something or other. It implies separation. God is separate from man, for example, or enlightenment is separated from delusion or spiritual life is separated from whatever the rest of life is called. To make belief the on-going foundation of that which promises an understanding of who and what we honestly are is to offer a lighted match to a child in a pool of gasoline. It is mistaken in a serious way. As I say, belief may be a good beginning, but it is a poor road to what might be called salvation.

Fourth: Ecumenism -- and I have done my hitch with that particular notion -- is a social function ... you be nice to me and I'll be nice to you. We may smile and applaud when we find similarities in our taste in ice cream, but in the end, ecumenism won't hold up. Each of us has work to do and that work is not always patty-cake pleasant. An image I have always liked is that of Jesus walking into the desert. He was not holding hands with anyone when he went. He went alone. It was dry. It was hot. It threatened to kill him. If he was not afraid, I doubt if he was a man. There was no coffee and cake and convivial schmoozing. He went alone ... and so do we. True, what appears to be a threatening atmosphere is punctuated by bright lights and wondrous openings -- truly miraculous stuff -- but nine chances out of ten they were delusions that sink into the sands. Each individual chooses a way and then exhibits a lot of courage, a lot of patience, a lot of doubt and a lot of determination. This is no realm for sissies or chirpy instructors. There is a promise in all of this hard work, but to name it consigns that promise to a world of chirping agreements. If you want to know, you've got to go ... go where your own particular heaven and hell guide you.

Fifth: Spiritual endeavor is not a debating society. What I do -- and I prefer Zen practice -- is just what I choose. People sometimes get stuck in their agreements and disagreements, their ecumenism or their break-the-other-guy's-arm extremism. It can be pretty subtle (really, this is good for you!), but it's so reassuring to agree and disagree with others that walking into the desert goes begging and there is no experience to actualize the peace and prosperity anyone might seek. The desert doesn't agree or disagree with anyone. Peace doesn't agree or disagree with anyone. The desert is just the desert. You are just you. I am just I. Ice cream comes in flavors -- no big deal -- and the object of spiritual endeavor is just to acknowledge and actualize your own true flavor. People who believe in the desert (the heavens and hells we can chirp about) are a dime a dozen. People who actualize it are rare as hen's teeth.

Sixth: As I say, I don't disagree with the Christian culture in which I find myself. I certainly don't agree with it either. But I do allow myself the small hope that all of the believable chirping we have done and will do results is some investigation and realization. Not MY realization or actualization ... just realization and actualization that requires no belief and relies on nothing whatsoever. Let's not run around saying "everything is spiritual." Let's muster the effort it takes to "make it so, Number One."

Sorry for so much blither. Obviously I am someone with too much time on his hands.

Best wishes.

• on your thought about faith. from an intellectual stand point it makes sense. but faith/surrendering to what is (god). it is what many in spirituality would call the way of the heart. so for one who is intellectual (head oriented) they would use logic to destroy logic. where as faith is a total surrendering. it cuts off the mind by accepting that you cannot know god intellectually. in the same way, in korean zen there is a method called "keeping don't know mind". korean zen asserts that when you don't know and you feel this not knowing, that is enlightenment itself. i would say most christians really don't have "faith". for faith is a complete surrendering to reality. Look up thomas merton, he is a championed christian mystic.

i find that if your "faith" in a religion makes your life and those around you better than good for you. if not move on. and i do think that most people use religion as a crutch. even the buddhists. mainstream christianity (eh. shrugs shoulders).
    gnostics and christian mystics (pretty interesting stuff). it's also nice to read what "jesus christ" was pointing to. though i know it's really hard to get out of the mindset that it's all rubbish.

you're quite the thinker and thank you for you input.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Genkaku,
    Good well written post. Experience does trump faith and belief everytime. The problem that I always have had with mainstream Christianity is that lacks that necessary work that you allude to. For the most all you have to do is believe in one thing, no work, no effort, no walking out into the desert alone. To me that trip we take all by ourselves is the beginning of spiritual practice.
    With metta,
    Todd
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    still in the process of watching the video (it is quite long) but i just had to say, i am a big fan of rob bell. for years, i considered him my pastor. he runs a liberal church in an extremely conservative place called Mars Hill in western michigan. i would agree that he marries buddhism/christianity. the "slogan" of rob bell/mars hill is "love wins." he teaches that in everything, whether people are sinners or saints, treat them with love and respect because "love wins." even when i no longer believed in the bible/christianity in general, i would still go to mars hill from time to time. they are a (very large) group of truly inspired people. what we disagreed on didn't seem to matter as much because at the heart of it, we seemed to agree.

i do remember a sermon once in which he described his experience with mediation. he was talking about how we need to slow down and pay more attention in the moment to moment because otherwise we miss things. he told the story of one particular guy who was a workaholic and always rushed around. well one day, he sat down to meditate and suddenly realized, "holy crap! my back hurts really bad!" turns out he paid so little attention to himself that he didn't even realize what was going on with his body.

they used to post most sermons on their website, if you're interested:
    http://marshill.org/
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    okay, i finished the video and i have to say, it was pretty typical for me. i agree with him on about 95%, and the other 5% is where i am kinda "meh" (that's usually the bible/faith stuff)

i found myself thinking, rob is an incredibly intellectual man struggling to explain the world through the confines of christianity. i have no doubt that he has had this same thought himself, because in the end he talks about how reality is all about how you choose to view the world around you. it appears to me that he has stood on both sides of the fence and has determined that his life would be more meaningful if he had faith in god, jesus, and the bible. and on one level, he is right to do so. we are now at the point where science cannot explain all phenomena, the best we can do is describe what we see, but we do not truly understand it. his passion and beliefs are of a christian origin, so he marries these ideas with a concept that seems eerily close to "intelligent design," although he never uses those words.

i really enjoyed all of the scientific facts and his explanation of quantum physics was very helpful/interesting to me as well. but i think the more buddhist answer is, "well that's all fine and dandy, and some might even say UNCANNY, but what does it matter? let's get back to the NOW..." i did feel a certain wonder at the precarious balance on earth that if changed even a little, life would cease to exist. it's amazing, but that doesn't mean i suddenly claim faith in god and the bible. but i did however enjoy his point on god's commandment to moses "to be here"

like i said before, i may not agree with everything rob says, but at the heart of it all, we definitely agree. i appreciate the video post and i encourage everyone else on here to watch it if you have the time. i truly believe that if more christians were of the sort as rob bell, the world would be a better place. and since america (especially western michigan) is predominantly christian, this allows him great access to teach love and acceptance in a format that the general population is comfortable with. at the heart of his sermons are usually ideas that are really no different than what most buddhists believe. although i feel buddhism to be my spiritual path and i may disagree with him on some levels, i am very glad that he is out there doing what he does because his congregation makes allies between those of differing faiths instead of enemies. very cool stuff.
  • Rob Bell points out that there is no distinction during the times when the bible was written...between what is spiritual and what isn't.
    Rob Bell sounds like a nice guy, but I don't know where this idea came from. "Spiritual" has several definitions, but they all fall under three broad categories:
    1. Spiritual = non-corporeal
    2. Spiritual = having to do with spirits
    3. Spiritual = sacred

Every Mediterranean and Mid-Eastern culture in Biblical times had all three concepts and distinguished between the spiritual and the non-spiritual. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any culture, past or present, that doesn't or didn't have all three concepts.

He might have done better to stick with hermeneutics. The shortest parable in the gospels has Jesus saying that the Kingdom of Heaven is like a woman who mixes flour and leavening, and when she is finished it's impossible to separate one from the other.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited March 2011
    on your thought about faith. from an intellectual stand point it makes sense. but faith/surrendering to what is (god). it is what many in spirituality would call the way of the heart. so for one who is intellectual (head oriented) they would use logic to destroy logic. where as faith is a total surrendering. it cuts off the mind by accepting that you cannot know god intellectually. in the same way, in korean zen there is a method called "keeping don't know mind". korean zen asserts that when you don't know and you feel this not knowing, that is enlightenment itself. i would say most christians really don't have "faith". for faith is a complete surrendering to reality. Look up thomas merton, he is a championed christian mystic.

Taiyaki -- As a small footnote, perhaps, not only are there warnings about over-intellectualizing or finding an imagined refuge and equally imaginary surcease among concepts and beliefs.

There are similar warnings about falling prey to comforting feelings. An old Zen teacher, Ta Hui, once observed approximately, "I have always had a great vow that I would rather spend an eternity in hell than to ever portray Zen as a human emotion."

Intellect and emotion are fine capacities. The question that then arises is, "Who is capable?"

Rob Bell points out that there is no distinction during the times when the bible was written...between what is spiritual and what isn't.
    Rob Bell sounds like a nice guy, but I don't know where this idea came from. "Spiritual" has several definitions, but they all fall under three broad categories:
    1. Spiritual = non-corporeal
    2. Spiritual = having to do with spirits
    3. Spiritual = sacred

Every Mediterranean and Mid-Eastern culture in Biblical times had all three concepts and distinguished between the spiritual and the non-spiritual. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any culture, past or present, that doesn't or didn't have all three concepts.

He might have done better to stick with hermeneutics. The shortest parable in the gospels has Jesus saying that the Kingdom of Heaven is like a woman who mixes flour and leavening, and when she is finished it's impossible to separate one from the other.
    if you watch the video, he talks about how in the time of the bible, there was no hebrew word for "spiritual" as we come to understand it. he explains that in that time frame, everything was thought to be from god, and therefore, spiritual. he uses something along the third definition of spirituality in that everything is "sacred"/ everything is "god", this isn't really a new concept. it's the same as someone saying, "we are all from god"
  • on your thought about faith. from an intellectual stand point it makes sense. but faith/surrendering to what is (god). it is what many in spirituality would call the way of the heart. so for one who is intellectual (head oriented) they would use logic to destroy logic. where as faith is a total surrendering. it cuts off the mind by accepting that you cannot know god intellectually. in the same way, in korean zen there is a method called "keeping don't know mind". korean zen asserts that when you don't know and you feel this not knowing, that is enlightenment itself. i would say most christians really don't have "faith". for faith is a complete surrendering to reality. Look up thomas merton, he is a championed christian mystic.

Taiyaki -- As a small footnote, perhaps, not only are there warnings about over-intellectualizing or finding an imagined refuge and equally imaginary surcease among concepts and beliefs.

There are similar warnings about falling prey to comforting feelings. An old Zen teacher, Ta Hui, once observed approximately, "I have always had a great vow that I would rather spend an eternity in hell than to ever portray Zen as a human emotion."

Intellect and emotion are fine capacities. The question that then arises is, "Who is capable?"

who isnt? the point is to use our intellect to transcend it. we have to fall into the traps as much as humanly possible to realize that there are no traps other than the ones we make in our minds.

to even talk about zen is a grave mistake. yet this mistake has been done. <3
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    So reading up on Christian mystics and Christians in general who somewhat marry Buddhist ideas with Christianity interests me.

Give insights to where you agree/disagree.
    My insight is there are only "Buddhist" ideas. The instructions on 100% loving-kindness were first taught & brought into the world by the Buddha.

My insight is it is the most excellent thing to discover & find the Buddha.

My insight is the Buddha is to be "killed" after the Buddha is found (rather than beforehand).

With metta

:)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011

:)

• if you watch the video, he talks about how in the time of the bible, there was no hebrew word for "spiritual" as we come to understand it. he explains that in that time frame, everything was thought to be from god, and therefore, spiritual.
    First of all, as I've pointed out, the concept of "spiritual" as we have come to understand it did exist at the time.

Secondly, saying that the Jews didn't have the concept of "spiritual" because they didn't have a word for it is like saying that English speakers don't have the concept of "snow that lies on the ground" because, unlike at least one Inuit language, we don't have a distinct word for it.

On a related note, there was no Hebrew word for "spiritual" because there was no Hebrew word with the literal meaning "spirit". However, the Jews had the concept of "spirit" and they expressed it metaphorically with "ruah", which means wind or breath.

And finally, in any culture with the concept of free will, the concept that not absolutely everything comes from god will also exist.
    this isn't really a new concept. it's the same as someone saying, "we are all from god"
    I agree, but if someone says that all things are from god, then they are aware of the concept that not all things are from god, even if they don't believe it.

I have nothing against Rob Bell. I'm also aware that Christian ministers have to produce a new sermon every week and the result is that not everything they say makes sense. As I've pointed out, he can support his point with other arguments. But this argument doesn't stand up, either logically or factually.
    this isn't really a new concept. it's the same as someone saying, "we are all from god"
    I agree, but if someone says that all things are from god, then they are aware of the concept that not all things are from god, even if they don't believe it.

I have nothing against Rob Bell. I'm also aware that Christian ministers have to produce a new sermon every week and the result is that not everything they say makes sense. As I've pointed out, he can support his point with other arguments. But this argument doesn't stand up, either logically or factually.
    i don't really think so either. that's why i said that i believed he was an intellectual person trying to explain things through the confines of christianity. in the video, he talks about two different types of people. group A, clings to facts alone and denies the existence of god because there is no proof. group B, is more open to the idea that there could be a god because there are a lot of things we don't understand. obviously, he is of the group B type and as a christian, he makes it clear that in his opinion, this is the "right" way to be. he acknowledges the choice, but supports his ideas of why to be a group B type person. personally, i'm more of an A, myself. it's just like Russel's tea pot. just because there are things we don't understand doesn't automatically make christianity's concepts correct. but they will keep trying...

and as far as the "spirituality" thing goes, i can't really comment any further. personally, the bible's concepts on spirituality matter very little to me. i was just repeating what he said in the video because i didn't think that you had watched it. i understand if you don't want to watch a nearly hour and a half long video looking for it.
  • An interesting sermon. While I agree that he's fudging the historical point for the sake of making his overall case, he does make Christians stop and think about what spiritual means when applied to everyday existence.

Seems to be a minister who takes his call to teach seriously.
  • It seems to me that ´spiritual´ is a label. Also, it seems that the realization of wholeness, completeness, non-separation (which is what we human beings seem to be looking for) is incompatible with labelling some things as spiritual, and others as non-spiritual.
  • http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=77024018179262526#

I was raised Christian and now consider myself a Buddhist. So reading up on Christian mystics and Christians in general who somewhat marry Buddhist ideas with Christianity interests me.

Rob Bell points out that there is no distinction during the times when the bible was written...between what is spiritual and what isn't. Rob Bell asserts that everything is spiritual. So to make a distinction between what is god and what isn't is wrong. And he points out that the kingdom of heaven is the present moment.

It's an interesting view and I'd love for you guys to watch and give insights to where you agree/disagree.

Thank you.
    Thank you for posting this link.
    Very interesting.

The one thing which put me off is that : some science was a bit misinformed but still being used to strengthen his point of view.
  • Hi zombiegirl,

If I had to produce fifty sermons a year, I probably wouldn't do as well as Rob Bell does. I'm just being a geek. :-)

On the more general topic of Bell's influence on his congregation, I think the members of a congregation tend to have a certain set of beliefs or principles, and a minister who tried to move the congregation away from those beliefs would get fired. Successful ministers know how to preach to the choir. But I think sermons have an important role in giving the congregation examples and lessons in critical thinking, based on the shared beliefs. So if Bell is showing his congregation how to use the principle of love in critical thinking, that's.....hard to complain about. :-)

BTW, only my XP box is set up to view vidoes, and it's wedged right now. Until I unwedge it, no videos for me. It's been wedged for a couple of weeks now, so apparently debugging Windows is not high on my priority list.