Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha's Discourses On God and the Absolute?

edited May 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I've been searching through suttas to find passages or discourses where Buddha talks about God and the absolute.

I know that when people asked him, he would respond in silence, but he did have things to say on the matter. For example, I read that he considered concepts of Brahman and the Absolute as a Reification Fallacy, however, I want to know where he said this and what his exact words were.

If you can, feel free to post suttas and sutras that may shed light on the matter. Thanks.

Comments

• RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited April 2010
    There are some things the suttas don't deal with, and I believe the reification of Brahman and Absolute is one of them. :-)

Brahman and Absolute fall into the category of eternalism. Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of the Kaccanagota Sutta calls eternalism the "idea of existence". Thanissaro's translation just calls it "existence". In other suttas it may have other names; "joy in being", "joy in becoming", etc. It depends on the translator.
  • edited April 2010
    The Buddha did remain silent, sometimes. Other times he admonished his monks not to engage in speculative questions (such as the existence of God, or whether the universe began or would end), as they were not conducive to the goal. I would advise the same.
  • edited April 2010
    In the Digha Nikaya11 is this famous passage:
    Then the Great Brahma, taking the monk by the arm and leading him off to one side, said to him, 'These gods of the retinue of Brahma believe, "There is nothing that the Great Brahma does not know. There is nothing that the Great Brahma does not see. There is nothing of which the Great Brahma is unaware. There is nothing that the Great Brahma has not realized." That is why I did not say in their presence that I, too, don't know where the four great elements... cease without remainder. So you have acted wrongly, acted incorrectly, in bypassing the Blessed One in search of an answer to this question elsewhere. Go right back to the Blessed One and, on arrival, ask him this question. However he answers it, you should take it to heart.'

Great Brahma is the supreme God of all gods. A Bhikshu went in search of an answer to a question. He asked all the gods below Great Brahma and they did not know. When he asked Great Brahma the same question, he finally admitted (quietly) that he did not know. God suggested he go back and ask Buddha, who did know.
  • edited April 2010
    Will wrote: »
    In the Digha Nikaya11 is this famous passage:

Great Brahma is the supreme God of all gods. A Bhikshu went in search of an answer to a question. He asked all the gods below Great Brahma and they did not know. When he asked Great Brahma the same question, he finally admitted (quietly) that he did not know. God suggested he go back and ask Buddha, who did know.

Yeah, I was reading that Sutta earlier today and it actually seemed like it belittled "the Great Brahma, the Conqueror, the Unconquered, the All-Seeing, All-Powerful, the Sovereign Lord, the Maker, Creator, Chief, Appointer and Ruler, Father of All That Have Been and Shall Be." (quote from Kevatta Sutta of Digha Nikaya)

In that Sutta, the Bhikshu asked Great Brahma (omnipotent God) a question about the nature of reality and he did not know. However, Buddha knew the answer, and thus displayed superiority over the "Great All-Seeing, All-Powerful, Sovereign Lord, Creator."

How could this be if Buddha is a mere mortal? Perhaps there is a subtle indication that this Brahma isn't so great afterall and demoted the idea of God altogether.

Source: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.11.0.than.html

edited April 2010
    Perhaps there is a subtle indication that this Brahma isn't so great afterall...
    Or not so subtle. :-)

The story at the end recapitulates the structure of the sutta. The sutta starts with a long section that describes various types of superhuman miracles, and concludes by explaining why receiving instruction in the Buddha-dharma is the greatest miracle of all. The first, longest part of the story describes a monk's miraculous communication with a lot of different gods in an attempt to get an answer to a question, and concludes with the monk getting his question answered by a human teacher. The point of the story is not the question the monk asks, but the futility of relying on anything superhuman for liberation.
  • edited April 2010
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    Or not so subtle. :-)

The story at the end recapitulates the structure of the sutta. The sutta starts with a long section that describes various types of superhuman miracles, and concludes by explaining why receiving instruction in the Buddha-dharma is the greatest miracle of all. The first, longest part of the story describes a monk's miraculous communication with a lot of different gods in an attempt to get an answer to a question, and concludes with the monk getting his question answered by a human teacher. The point of the story is not the question the monk asks, but the futility of relying on anything superhuman for liberation.

:O Wow, nicely put. Thanks for clarifying this, I was having a bit of trouble understanding that passage.

• edited April 2010
    Yeah, I was reading that Sutta earlier today and it actually seemed like it belittled "the Great Brahma, the Conqueror, the Unconquered, the All-Seeing, All-Powerful, the Sovereign Lord, the Maker, Creator, Chief, Appointer and Ruler, Father of All That Have Been and Shall Be." (quote from Kevatta Sutta of Digha Nikaya)

In that Sutta, the Bhikshu asked Great Brahma (omnipotent God) a question about the nature of reality and he did not know. However, Buddha knew the answer, and thus displayed superiority over the "Great All-Seeing, All-Powerful, Sovereign Lord, Creator."

How could this be if Buddha is a mere mortal? Perhaps there is a subtle indication that this Brahma isn't so great afterall and demoted the idea of God altogether.

Source: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.11.0.than.html

I believe that the Gods in Buddhist metaphysics are subject to cycles of samsara just as all other beings are, their lives are just much, much, longer. Equivalent to something like 60,000 or 80,000 culpas. They live in a state so comfortable that they don't experience enough suffering to drive them to seek enlightenment, instead simply burning through their good karma until it runs out and they get sent back to a lower realm. So while the Buddha was a man and not a God, he had gained supreme right view, obtained enlightenment, and escaped the cycle of samsara, which the gods would not have achieved.
  • edited April 2010
    Vekin wrote: »
    I believe that the Gods in Buddhist metaphysics are subject to cycles of samsara just as all other beings are, their lives are just much, much, longer. Equivalent to something like 60,000 or 80,000 culpas. They live in a state so comfortable that they don't experience enough suffering to drive them to seek enlightenment, instead simply burning through their good karma until it runs out and they get sent back to a lower realm. So while the Buddha was a man and not a God, he had gained supreme right view, obtained enlightenment, and escaped the cycle of samsara, which the gods would not have achieved.

I know. I wasn't really asking that. It was a rhetorical question. Also, Brahman isn't the same as the other million gods. Brahman (as depicted in the Sutta) is the monotheistic, eternal, all-powerful, God. And yet, Buddha had superior knowledge and insight. And thus, the Sutta presents a paradox. One that I particularly like, and that is the belittlement and mockery of the idea of God.

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    One that I particularly like, and that is the belittlement and mockery of the idea of God.

Doesn't seem very nice of you.
  • edited April 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    Doesn't seem very nice of you.

Lol. That came out wrong. I just like the way that it points out the philosophical absurdity of the God concept.

• edited April 2010
    Brahman is an impersonal principle; Brahmaa is the deity
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Lol. That came out wrong. I just like the way that it points out the philosophical absurdity of the God concept.

Hehe, I wonder if it came out right :) I also wonder what drives the desire to undermine other people's objects of faith? You saving people from their hypocrisy?
  • edited April 2010
    Hehe, I wonder if it came out right :) I also wonder what drives the desire to undermine other people's objects of faith? You saving people from their hypocrisy?

I came from the Richard Dawkins/Christopher Hitchens school of thought and I find that religion is a tool to keep people down and stops people from thinking for themselves.

• edited April 2010
    I came from the Richard Dawkins/Christopher Hitchens school of thought and I find that religion is a tool to keep people down and stops people from thinking for themselves.

No, that's football.

In all seriousness, religion can be what you said, it can also be the medium for some pretty profound insights. Seriously though, Dawkins??
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010

Its no wonder then why you so passionately work to attack it!

With warmth,

Matt
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited April 2010

The only problem I have with Dawkins is that he is so belittling of other people. Even those who are new to his point of view. I fail to understand why someone of ANY point of view needs to be so insulting and negative to others who hold different views. It is highly unskillful and can surely only serve to increase negative karma and/or negative rebirths.

Respectfully,
    Raven
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I fail to understand why someone of ANY point of view needs to be so insulting and negative to others who hold different views.

In my experience its because there is a lack of understanding of either subjective levels of understanding, or subjective levels of intelligence. Either way, immature minds tend to think "well, I can see this, so if they can't, they're BLANK" where the blank is some sort of static projection of a belief.

Unless you were venting like "they shouldn't behave that way" in which I say: shrug, they do. :)

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited April 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Brahman is an impersonal principle; Brahmaa is the deity

Thanks for clarifying that.

So even in Hinduism, the great Brahma deity is below the infinite, impersonal Brahman.

• edited April 2010

I have heard Hitchens in a few debates. He is just anti religion. His favourite target are Muslim suicide bombers. Mass manipulation is not unique to religion but is found in any ideology. Politics is just as quilty. For example, 20 million chinese died as a result of Mao zedong's great leap forward. This would not have happened without manipulation and repression. It is driven by greed and power. Do not blame religion.
  • edited April 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    The Buddha did remain silent, sometimes. Other times he admonished his monks not to engage in speculative questions (such as the existence of God, or whether the universe began or would end), as they were not conducive to the goal. I would advise the same.
    Isn't it reasonable to ask questions such as :
    1) The existence of God - When there are conflict in rules, and if god exist wouldn't the views of such a being matter? I imagine this being carries a big stick.
    2)Whether the universe began - When faced with finite regress, one has to address the beginning of things e.g. karmic origin
    3)The end of the universe - Meaning has context and finitude changes meaning.

How are these questions not relevant in the context of Buddhism?
  • edited April 2010
    Brumby wrote: »
    I have heard Hitchens in a few debates. He is just anti religion. His favourite target are Muslim suicide bombers. Mass manipulation is not unique to religion but is found in any ideology. Politics is just as quilty. For example, 20 million chinese died as a result of Mao zedong's great leap forward. This would not have happened without manipulation and repression. It is driven by greed and power. Do not blame religion.

He doesn't blame religion for political genocide. In fact, he doesn't even focus too much on the effects of religion, but rather the philosophical doctrines themselves. He attacks Biblical theology. To think that he simply blames violence on religion rather than look at the root, is false. His main focus is the root of unsound, and sometimes dangerous philosophies.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    1) The existence of God - When there are conflict in rules,

Which rules?
    and if god exist wouldn't the views of such a being matter?
    'If' is the big word. Establish this first.
    I imagine this being carries a big stick.
    This is pure speculation. Verify the existence first, then the nature.
    2)Whether the universe began - When faced with finite regress, one has to address the beginning of things e.g. karmic origin
    Why?
    What good would that do you, Now?
    To what end?
    How would what happened in an incalculably far distant time, impact you as you drive to work or eat your sandwich, now?
    if you die before it happens, then you have no cause to worry.
    if you die as it happens, then you have no cause to worry.
    How are they relevant to Buddhism and your practice right Now?
  • edited April 2010
    1) The existence of God - When there are conflict in rules, and if god exist wouldn't the views of such a being matter? I imagine this being carries a big stick.

That's Buddha's way of addressing the issue. :) He basically says that God is irrelevant, unimportant, and petty.

As in the Kevatta Sutta that was posted above, the Sutta belittled Great Brahma, the omnipotent, creator God, because he did not know the answer to a question about the nature of reality. However, Buddha, a mortal man, did!

The questions of metaphysics is one of the reasons I love Buddhism, even when it refuses to acknowledge such questions. :P

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Acknowledgement is futile.
    (You will be assimilated.) ;):D
  • edited April 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Which rules?
    When you throw out god from the outset then everything associated with god is thrown out which begs the question what is being thrown out.
    'If' is the big word. Establish this first.
    Treating god as non existent is a big leap just as "if". Deciding not to establish already precludes establishment
    This is pure speculation. Verify the existence first, then the nature.
    I thought the approach to ignore automatically precludes the verification. Isn't this self refuting?
    Why?
    What good would that do you, Now?
    To what end?
    How would what happened in an incalculably far distant time, impact you as you drive to work or eat your sandwich, now?
    When one cannot account for its origin it puts a question mark on the coherency of the concept and potentially its truth value.
    if you die before it happens, then you have no cause to worry.
    if you die as it happens, then you have no cause to worry.
    If you subscribe to re-birth or re-incarnation then finitude is a circuit breaker. If you don't then, I guess it doesn't matter
    edited April 2010
    When you throw out god from the outset then everything associated with god is thrown out which begs the question what is being thrown out.
    In my opinion? Nothing. If nothing is there at the outset, then everything with nothing is thrown out, which reveals the answer that nothing is being thrown out.
    Treating god as non existent is a big leap just as "if". Deciding not to establish already precludes establishment
    I've been on this planet for 53 years. I spent 40-odd years of that in the RC faith. I have books, encyclopaedias, literature, the internet and many other sources of information at my disposal. In all that time, nothing ever surfaced to make me believe absolutely 100% that God is existent. The more I find out, the less i know of 'him'. there is less and less significance for me in this research. and I have no qualms with thinking of him on the same plane as Santa Claus, the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy.
    I thought the approach to ignore automatically precludes the verification. Isn't this self refuting?
    Who's ignoring? I'm asking you to verify existence. Then we can logically proceed to have the other questions answered. Belief isn't proof. Proof is proof. Only with proven existence can we logically proceed.
    When one cannot account for its origin it puts a question mark on the coherency of the concept and potentially its truth value.
    I personally think we can account for its origin... It's down largely to Man's vivid imagination. That for me is where it originates. While we attach such huge importance to a theory, what hope is there to pursue serious practice?
    If you subscribe to re-birth or re-incarnation then finitude is a circuit breaker. If you don't then, I guess it doesn't matter
    I think I do ascribe to it. But then again, if I'm proved wrong, it really doesn't matter. Now, before or in the future.
    I find such cogitations utterly pointless and a waste of precious time. The Buddha also said such cogitations were a waste of time.
    He's actually right. I mean, ultimately, if you find anything out, one way or the other, where does it actually take you now?
  • edited April 2010
    In my opinion? Nothing. If nothing is there at the outset, then everything with nothing is thrown out, which reveals the answer that nothing is being thrown out.
    If your opinion is right then I agree is nothing. If your opinion is wrong then everything. Since we are all entitled to our own opinion I will leave this as is. Thank you for your candor.
    I've been on this planet for 53 years. I spent 40-odd years of that in the RC faith. I have books, encyclopaedias, literature, the internet and many other sources of information at my disposal.
    Granted you recognise that there are limitations to our own epistemic awareness.
    In all that time, nothing ever surfaced to make me believe absolutely 100% that God is existent. The more I find out, the less i know of 'him'. there is less and less significance for me in this research.
    Applying a 100 % test is fine as an argument except we tend not to apply it consistently to all things.
    and I have no qualms with thinking of him on the same plane as Santa Claus, the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy.
    Firstly it is a straw man argument and secondly Santa Claus et al are easily refuted. Bertrand Russell tried that with the tea port. I will not even start because it is not my intention.
    edited April 2010

If you apply these arguments to philostogen, their illogic becomes much clearer.

"When you throw out philostogen from the outset then everything associated with philostogen is thrown out which begs the question what is being thrown out."

'Treating philostogen as non existent is a big leap just as "if".'
    Deciding not to establish already precludes establishment
    Buddhism doesn't deal with a creator god for the same reason that chemistry doesn't deal with philostogen. There's no evidence that it exists and it doesn't explain anything. With both god and philostogen, there was no "deciding not to establish", just an acknowledgment that attempts to establish had been unsuccessful.
    Neither the coherency or the truth value of a concept depend on being able to explain the origin of the phenomenon it applies to. The concept of "the universe" isn't less coherent or less true if we don't explain the origin of the universe.
    In Buddhism, the cycle of samsara ends when liberation occurs. For purposes of liberation, the question of whether the universe continues infinitely or not is irrelevant.
  • edited April 2010

"If God existed, it would be necessary to abolish him." - Mikhail Bakunin

edited April 2010
    Firstly it is a straw man argument
    I'm not trying to create a strawman argument. I'm merely telling you that this is what I equate god's existence to. it's my view. Take it or leave it, there is no strawman argument to be had.
    and secondly Santa Claus et al are easily refuted.
    How?
    Bertrand Russell tried that with the tea port.
    Pardon? What's a tea port? Are we talking Boston, here?:confused:
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I've been searching through suttas to find passages or discourses where Buddha talks about God and the absolute.
    The misunderstanding is in respect to Buddhism, when the absolute in Buddhism is not understood.

It does not matter what we compare with, whether Brahman or Tao, if we do this, the absolute in Buddhism is not understood.

It is common to think the other religions must have penetrated what the Buddha penetrated.

In the sutta below, the Buddha lists the God spheres within the hierachy of spiritual experience.

:)
    "The Tathagata — a worthy one, rightly self-awakened — directly knows earth as earth. Directly knowing earth as earth, he does not conceive things about earth, does not conceive things in earth, does not conceive things coming out of earth, does not conceive earth as 'mine,' does not delight in earth. Why is that? Because the Tathagata has comprehended it to the end, I tell you.

"He directly knows water as water...

fire as fire...

wind as wind...

beings as beings...

gods as gods...

Pajapati as Pajapati...

Brahma as Brahma...[first jhana]

the luminous gods as luminous gods...[second jhana]

the gods of refulgent glory as gods of refulgent glory...[third jhana]

the gods of abundant fruit as the gods of abundant fruit...[fourth jhana]

the Great Being as the Great Being...[abhibhū: abhi + bhu</B> = to predominate]

the dimension of the infinitude of space as the dimension of the infinitude of space...

the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness as the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness...

the dimension of nothingness as the dimension of nothingness...

the dimension of neither-perception-nor-non-perception as the dimension of neither-perception-nor-non-perception...

the seen as the seen... the heard as the heard... the sensed as the sensed... the cognized as the cognized...

singleness as singleness...

multiplicity as multiplicity...

the All as the All...

"He directly knows Nibbana as Nibbana . Directly knowing Nibbana as Nibbana, he does not conceive things about Nibbana, does not conceive things in Nibbana, does not conceive things coming out of Nibbana, does not conceive Nibbana as 'mine,' does not delight in Nibbana. Why is that? Because the Tathagata has comprehended it to the end, I tell you.

Mulapariyaya Sutta: The Root Sequence
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2010
    A Monk in the Thai Forest tradition use to tell the story of someone coming to him and wanting to talk about God. He saw where he was at, and engaged him (he says he is happy with "God talk'). But then a lay person stepped forward and said "we are Buddhists. We don't believe in God" Ajahn responded to the layperson by saying "you don't know anything about Buddhism".
  • edited April 2010
    Buddhism doesn't deal with a creator god for the same reason that chemistry doesn't deal with philostogen. There's no evidence that it exists and it doesn't explain anything. With both god and philostogen, there was no "deciding not to establish", just an acknowledgment that attempts to establish had been unsuccessful.
    Is it irrelevant or too hard basket? Seems to me you are saying both although I get the impression is the former.
    Neither the coherency or the truth value of a concept depend on being able to explain the origin of the phenomenon it applies to. The concept of "the universe" isn't less coherent or less true if we don't explain the origin of the universe.
    Incoherency undermines a truth claim. Origin and destiny has a causal link. The universe is no exception and why science is fascinated with it.
    In Buddhism, the cycle of samsara ends when liberation occurs. For purposes of liberation, the question of whether the universe continues infinitely or not is irrelevant.
    What happens to samsara if the universe ends before it?
    What happens to liberation when the universe ends?
    edited April 2010
    Is it irrelevant or too hard basket? Seems to me you are saying both although I get the impression is the former.
    No, it's not relevant.
    Incoherency undermines a truth claim. Origin and destiny has a causal link. The universe is no exception and why science is fascinated with it
    Science can be fascinated with it all it likes. Buddhism isn't science. Close. But not quite.
    They'll end simultaneously.
    They won't end simultaneously.
    Who knows?
    Who cares?
    Why?
    Who knows?
    Who cares?
    Why?

I suggest if you really can't put this down, you read "The Quantum and the Lotus".
    I'm sure it will be right up your street.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010

Both samsara and liberation will end if the universe ends because they are relational fabrics... based on subjective experiences that will cease without bodies.

Like, for instance, the color red will end with the universe, because there will be no light or objects to reflect light, but the physics will still be true that makes the vibration. So if the next universe follows the same patterns of vibration, which it is projected it will, the patterns will begin again.

I notice there seems to be a needless projection or striving for something of eternity, which can create clinging... or perhaps the other way around.

With warmth,

Matt
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I suggest if you really can't put this down, you read "The Quantum and the Lotus".

I have read that book, and must say that there are quite a bit of fascinating correlations between quantum physics and Buddhist philosophy.
    edited April 2010
    A Monk in the Thai Forest tradition use to tell the story of someone coming to him and wanting to talk about God. He saw where he was at, and engaged him (he says he is happy with "God talk'). But then a lay person stepped forward and said "we are Buddhists. We don't believe in God" Ajahn responded to the layperson by saying "you don't know anything about Buddhism".
    Attachment to monks is a bigger problem than 'God', especially when we transform that monk into a 'God'.

It is much wiser to understand that 'we' are 'us' or 'I' am 'me'. I am not the monk.

• edited April 2010
    Attachment to monks is a bigger problem than 'God', especially when we transform that monk into a 'God'.

It is much wiser to understand that 'we' are 'us' or 'I' am 'me'. I am not the monk.

Attachment to teachers in general can become a problem if we no longer think for ourselves and just believe everything that we are told.

edited April 2010
    A Monk in the Thai Forest tradition...
    A Monk in the Thai Forest tradition taught the following dangerous time wasting nonsense:
    A person with some knowledge, however, knows that pure water can be found in every kind of water. If we take rain-water and distill it, we will get pure water. If we take river-water and distill it, we will get pure water. If we take canal-water, sewer-water, or toilet-water, and distill it, we will still end up with pure water.

If we look through the polluting elements, we can see the water that is always the same, for in every case the essential nature of water is the same.

In the same way, one who has attained to the ultimate truth sees that there's no such thing as "religion." There is only a certain nature which can be called whatever we like.

We can call it "Dhamma," we can call it "Truth," we can call it "God," "Tao," or whatever, but we shouldn't particularize that Dhamma or that Truth as Buddhism, Christianity, Taoism, Judaism, Sikhism, Zoroastrianism, or Islam, for we can neither capture nor confine it with labels and concepts.

Still, such divisions occur because people haven't yet realized this nameless truth for themselves. They have only reached the external levels, just as with canal-water, muddy water, and the rest.

Buddhadasa Bhikkhu

Where and when was 'God' ever 'nameless truth'?

Where and when did Buddha ever teach 'nameless truth'?

How can something universal, namely, 'truth' be 'nameless'?

:eek2: :screwy:
    edited April 2010
    A Monk in the Thai Forest tradition taught the following about teachers:
    Now we come to the prison called "ajahn" (teacher, master, guru), the famous teachers whose names reverberate afar. In Burma there's "Sayadaw This," in Sri Lanka there's "Bhante That," in Tibet there's "Lama So- and -so," in China there's "Master Whoever." Every place has its famous teacher whose name is bouncing around. Whether national, regional, provincial, or local, every place has got its Big Guru. Then people cling and attach to their teachers as being the only teacher who is correct; their teacher is right and all other teachers are completely wrong. They refuse to listen to other people's teachers. And they don't think about or examine the teachings of their own Ajahns. They get caught in the "Teacher Prison." They turn the teacher into a prison, then get caught in it. It's an attachment which is truly ridiculous. Whether a big teacher or a small teacher, it's upadana just the same. They keep building prisons out of their teachers and gurus. Please don't get caught in even this prison.

Buddhadasa Bhikkhu
    Any teacher or guru that you attach to will inevitably disappoint you in some respect – even if they are saintly gurus, they still die ... or they disrobe and marry 16-year-old girls.... They might do anything: the history of religious idols can be really disillusioning! I used to consider, when I was a young bhikkhu in Thailand, what would I do if Ajahn Chah suddenly said, 'Buddhism is a farce! I want nothing to do with it! I'm going to disrobe and marry a rich woman'?

What would I do if Ajahn Buddhadasa, one of the famous scholar-monks of Thailand, said, 'Studying Buddhism all these years is a farce, it's a waste of time. I'm going to become a Christian!'?

What would I do if the Dalai Lama disrobed and married an American lady?

What would I do if Venerables Sucitto and Tiradhammo and all these people just suddenly said, 'I'm going to leave. I want to get out and have some fun!'? If all the anagarikas suddenly said, 'I'm fed up with this!'? All the nuns ran away with the anagarikas? What would I do?

Ajahn Sumedho
  • edited April 2010
    Re #41

Many wise words are spoken here.

edited April 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    Re #41

Many wise words are spoken here.

Indeed, attachment to a teacher is a problem. BTW that is a nice avatar you have there, it looks like Babbitt's atom or Yeats's gyre.
  • edited April 2010
    It is an interesting story. On reflection I thought maybe ....
    1)The monk wasn't a buddhist
    2)The layman and monk can't agree on a subject
    3)The layman and monk can't agree on the definition of god
    4)The layman and monk like to talk about different subject
    5)The layman and monk were using different languages
    6)The layman and monk were in parrallel universe
    7)The layman and monk were in different time period
    8)The people are an illusion - they don't exist
    9)The forest is an illusion
    10)Make up your own interpretation. It doesn't matter
    11)Why bother with the story, it is just clinging
  • edited April 2010
    Both samsara and liberation will end if the universe ends because they are relational fabrics... based on subjective experiences that will cease without bodies.
    Thanks, I appreciate a straight answer. Is this a Buddhist teaching or your own opinion?
    Like, for instance, the color red will end with the universe, because there will be no light or objects to reflect light, but the physics will still be true that makes the vibration. So if the next universe follows the same patterns of vibration, which it is projected it will, the patterns will begin again.
    What you have raised brings a whole host of problems both scientifically and theologically but I will leave it. We already have problem getting through this universe.
    I notice there seems to be a needless projection or striving for something of eternity, which can create clinging... or perhaps the other way around.
    When I look at a religious worldview I like to address it from the standpoint of four essential themes : Origin, meaning, morality, and destiny. They are interrelated and should be coherent as a whole to affirm their truth claim.
    edited April 2010
    It is an interesting story. On reflection I thought maybe ....
    1)The monk wasn't a buddhist
    2)The layman and monk can't agree on a subject
    3)The layman and monk can't agree on the definition of god
    4)The layman and monk like to talk about different subject
    5)The layman and monk were using different languages
    6)The layman and monk were in parrallel universe
    7)The layman and monk were in different time period
    8)The people are an illusion - they don't exist
    9)The forest is an illusion
    10)Make up your own interpretation. It doesn't matter
    11)Why bother with the story, it is just clinging

you forgot 12) the layman and the monk, were caught in an inter-dimensional cross-rip, that destablized their cellular structure, and their cellular phones, leading to a breakdown in communication.

Actually... the story isnt rocket science. I have nothing more to add to this thread.:)
  • edited April 2010
    Who knows?
    Who cares?
    Why?

Who knows?
    Who cares?
    Why?
    As the universe has a use by date, liberation will come to an end. Isn't this clinging to something which is illusory?
    I have an interest in taking things to some form of logical conclusion and is not meant to be dis-respectful. Asking pointed questions enable me to do so quickly. If you feel that you want to stop the discussion I will not ask anymore. Since you have raised some responses, it is rude for me not to address them.
    edited April 2010
    No, I don't mean that.

But I really am recommending this book for you to pick up and read. It's very insightful and extremely 'illuminating' .....but not in 'that' way.....:D

I truly do feel it would be something of great interest to you.
  • edited April 2010
    Firstly it is a straw man argument and secondly Santa Claus et al are easily refuted. Bertrand Russell tried that with the tea port. I will not even start because it is not my intention.

How is that a strawman argument? It's pointing out the degree of validity God has, and it's as much valid as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Actually, I take that back. Santa Claus is more likely to exist than God because there is no inherent contradictions with his existence. You say Santa Claus is easily refuted, I'd love to hear this refutation.

Also, I don't see how Bertrand Russel failed with the tea pot analogy. Bertrand was pointing that both claims are unfalsifiable. Unfalsifiability makes something less valid.

• edited April 2010
    The question of God's existence or nonexistence can't be debated rationally. If he does exist, he's outside the scope of a human's ability to sense. While we're stuck in these bodies, we'll not be able to have an answer on it. Debating about it wont amount to anything but, at best, trivial discussions about the unknowable, and at worst, contention and animosity. Best to leave people to their opinion on the matter and accept that none of us have a definitive answer.

Personally, I'm a deist. But I have no proof that I'm right. It's just a belief, so there's no real point in trying to argue about it.
    edited April 2010
    Just noticed this. No disagreement here.

Where and when was 'God' ever 'nameless truth'?
    People who take that view hold it to be so, but it doesnt stand up.
    Where and when did Buddha ever teach 'nameless truth'
    "nameless truth" doesn't ring a bell.

How can something universal, namely, 'truth' be 'nameless'?
    Indeed. A nameless truth would be a named truth presumably called "Nameless Truth".