Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Five Hindrances

edited May 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I am currently studying the Five Hindrances to Meditation and have read (can’t quite recall where) that these are positive mind-body energies which only become hindrances though conditioned habits (poor)? In an effort to fully understand and come to grips with them is it too simple to consider the converse of each of the hindrances is the positive/healthy state i.e. Lovingkindness corrupts into “Aversion” , Trust/Openness becomes “Doubt” etc etc., <o>:p></o>:p>
<o>:p> </o>:p>
Thanks for any insight…… <o>:p></o>:p>

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Different things work for different people of course, but;

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Siau/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/02/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:1102341966; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:-1385628206 597601270 -1574790240 -878690926 1999301100 -1375057550 487910042 -1103174828 -1836290334 1251877242;} @list l1 {mso-list-id:1252465710; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:-1553289210 67698703 67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715;} @list l1:level1 {mso-level-tab-stop:.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l2 {mso-list-id:1372657591; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:223271292 37248746 -1230976280 -992072054 -868445284 1049668806 -1776544010 1513363596 497558254 1840660940;} ol {margin-bottom:0in;} ul {margin-bottom:0in;} --> </style> Meditation Hindrances<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->
    1. Sensual Craving
    2. Malice
    3. Sloth
    4. Anxiety
    5. Doubt
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
    The opposites would be;
    1. Sensual Disgust
    2. Lovingness
    3. Enthusiasm
    4. Peace of Mind
    5. Faith

I’m not sure that contemplating those would do the trick even if one could call upon them by will. I suspect looking into the causes of them would be more beneficial in that once the real cause comes to light, like the vampires they are, they dissolve.

The one supreme error (or "father of all sin") is merely Presumption, a type of lust. From that one mental error, all other errors are seeded and fostered. By contemplating the cause of those more famous hindrances, the error of presumption within them is exposed. Being clear about something is the opposite of being presumptuous thus the entire chain of mental error dissolves. All vampires perish when the father of them all perishes.

Since presumption is the state in which you are cast from birth,

My advice;

Presume that you actually understand nothing (mind)
    Presume that you actually care about nothing (heart)

..and your there. :o
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Drop wrote: »
    Different things work for different people of course, but;

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Siau/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/02/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:1102341966; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:-1385628206 597601270 -1574790240 -878690926 1999301100 -1375057550 487910042 -1103174828 -1836290334 1251877242;} @list l1 {mso-list-id:1252465710; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:-1553289210 67698703 67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715;} @list l1:level1 {mso-level-tab-stop:.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in;} @list l2 {mso-list-id:1372657591; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:223271292 37248746 -1230976280 -992072054 -868445284 1049668806 -1776544010 1513363596 497558254 1840660940;} ol {margin-bottom:0in;} ul {margin-bottom:0in;} --> </style> Meditation Hindrances<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->
    1. Sensual Craving
    2. Malice
    3. Sloth
    4. Anxiety
    5. Doubt
    <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
    The opposites would be;
    1. Sensual Disgust
    2. Lovingness
    3. Enthusiasm
    4. Peace of Mind
    5. Faith
    Sensual Disgust is still craving.

but craving to not have something.
  • mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited May 2010
    is it craving, or counter conditioning?
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    mettafou wrote: »
    is it craving, or counter conditioning?
    both... potentially.
    it is craving, and you can conceivably condition yourself to react in this fashion.
  • edited May 2010
    My understanding is that sensual disgust isn't really straight up disgust, but rather demystification of human beauty. For example, you see a hot girl (Sorry for the onesided example.) You don't have to convince yourself to be disgusted by her beauty or sexiness, or what have you, but rather you recognize that the aspects of her that you're attracted to are flesh and bone. Her breasts are made of fatty tissue and mammary glands and blood vessels. Her face is made of cartilage, muscle, bone, eye balls, and the like. Her belly is a muscle entombed container filled with intestines and fecal matter. That sort of thing.
  • edited May 2010
    The OP inquired about using contemplation of the opposites of the noted 5 hindrances. It is merely semantics, but the opposite of a direction is still a direction.

Sensual Craving refers to a lusting toward a sensual object.
    Sensual Disgust refers to a lusting away from a sensual object.

Lusting, by definition, is an error of awareness. As a short practice, one can use one error to counter another much like one poison can be used to counter another. Leaning left can correct for being pushed right. What is "Good or Bad" depends on the state of the being.

Perfection, Tathagata, is the only thing of which one cannot have too much.
    edited May 2010
    sensual Craving refers to a lusting toward a sensual object.
    Sensual Disgust refers to a lusting away from a sensual object.

Lusting, by definition, is an error of awareness. As a short practice, one can use one error to counter another much like one poison can be used to counter another. Leaning left can correct for being pushed right. What is "Good or Bad" depends on the state of the being.
    the 32 parts contemplation is given for combatting lust, and results in right concentration. are you refuting this as a means, or just pointing out the imperfection juxtaposed with nibbana? what would you suggest?
  • edited May 2010
    the 32 parts contemplation is given for combatting lust, and results in right concentration. are you refuting this as a means, or just pointing out the imperfection juxtaposed with nibbana? what would you suggest?
    I was just explaining the potential consequences of using the opposites, as requested by the OP.

MY personal position is;
    Drop wrote: »

My advice;

..and your there. :o

I might add that the 32 contemplations has little effect on me personally because of how I assess value/concern/beauty.
    edited May 2010

My advice;

..and your there.
    does this eliminate the 10 fetters?
  • edited May 2010
    does this eliminate the 10 fetters?
    Well there is an interesting question.

The ten fetters include doubt and ignorance as fetters or hindrances. It would depend upon the object of doubt. If you have doubt whether you should meditate at all, then such doubt is a hindrance to meditating. But the lack of certainty in other matters tends more to help encourage stepping back and meditating so as to "clear the mind" of confusions.

The other 8 common fetters are all dissolved entirely by the acceptance that one truly does not care about anything whatsoever, even breathing or not breathing nor accepts that anything he believes to be true necessarily is true.

Keep in mind we are only talking about mediation practice, not a philosophy for life.

1. belief in an individual self <sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference"></sup>
    2. doubt or uncertainty
    3. rites and rituals <sup id="cite_ref-5" class="reference"></sup>
    4. sensual desire<sup id="cite_ref-6" class="reference"></sup>
    5. malice<sup id="cite_ref-7" class="reference"></sup>
    6. lust for material existence<sup id="cite_ref-8" class="reference"></sup>
    7. lust for divine existence
    8. pride<sup id="cite_ref-9" class="reference"></sup>
    9. restlessness<sup id="cite_ref-10" class="reference"></sup>
    10. ignorance
    edited May 2010
    because one doesn't care or notice, etc. does that mean these potentials have been eliminated? consider the confusion of aggregates, and ignorance of impermanence. such understandings culminating in higher paths and fruits eliminate potentials. maybe letting go is either a prerequisite stage, or a stage of nibbana that follows from comprehension of dukkha?
  • edited May 2010
    because one doesn't care or notice, etc. does that mean these potentials have been eliminated?
    At that moment, certainly.
    consider the confusion of aggregates, and ignorance of impermanence. such understandings culminating in higher paths and fruits eliminate potentials. maybe letting go is either a prerequisite stage, or a stage of nibbana that follows from comprehension of dukkha?
    I agree with that. We have been discussing merely "how to get there", not "how to be there".

Every ascension requires 3 fundamental phases;

1) establishment (getting there)
    2) maintenance (keeping there)
    3) protection (ensuring there)

In this case, we are discussing establishment of an extremely calm, mundane spirit (meditative). Keeping the spirit calm is another issue. Protecting the spirit from critical interference is yet another issue involving society as a whole and Momentum ((:D)).
    edited May 2010
    so your not talking about nibbana as in stream entry, etc. when you say
    "..and your there." nibbana eliminates potentials for fetters, regardless of society, and doesn't apply to you or there of course. how do you view beauty? was that conditioned too? how is it more skillful than 32 parts?
  • edited May 2010
    so your not talking about nibbana as in stream entry, etc. when you say
    "..and your there."
    Correct. I was referring to getting to the stream, getting to the state of calmness needed for meditation.
    nibbana eliminates potentials for fetters, regardless of society, and doesn't apply to you or there of course.
    The "stream" is the flow of Tathagata and to enter that stream requires participation, motion. And to participate requires caring to do so.

"For what purpose shall I move or think at all?"

Until you answer that question, you are lost in a river that you cannot know. Until you stop moving or thinking at all, you cannot discover and see clearly as why you should start to do anything. Gautama took this same path. Until you clearly and fully see what is gained by not doing, the doing is in doubt and without compass; a cloudy night sky drifting on the ocean of life.
    how do you view beauty? was that conditioned in the same way as viewing with reference to the 32 parts?
    No MY assessment of beauty is entirely by rationale. I am not at all liberal about what is or is not beautiful. I do not dictate Dharma.

The "why should I" thoughts include why beauty is beautiful. Conditioning it to be so is deceiving the heart by a presumptuous mind and is the persistence of the insanity of Man.

Beauty is not your choice to declare any more than your purpose fore they are both already prepared for you before you are even created to serve them. Beauty is merely showing you the way as a clue or signal. Tathagata is the resolve of the puzzle and can be expressed as;

Clarify, Verify, and Remember the Hopes and Threats toward the Maximum Momentum of Harmony for the Living.

That is the divine spirit that gathers the dust unto Man and creates all Life, the Whole Spirit, Tathagata.