Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Marriage

edited September 2010 in Buddhism Basics
What does buddhism say about dealing with the difficulties of marriage?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• edited September 2010
    I mean the Buddha left his wife as a prince. I wonder if she treated him with the additude one treats a prince. Did he think she was really overwhelming and couldn't deal with the problems of marriage. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but what if his quest for enlightenment was really an escape from an unhappy marraige and the overwhelming burden of child rearing. Just a thought. Im not questioning buddha's enlightenment just his decision to leave his wife. Remember he wasn't enlightened when he originally left
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2010
    I mean the Buddha left his wife as a prince. I wonder if she treated him with the additude one treats a prince. Did he think she was really overwhelming and couldn't deal with the problems of marriage. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but what if his quest for enlightenment was really an escape from an unhappy marraige and the overwhelming burden of child rearing. Just a thought. Im not questioning buddha's enlightenment just his decision to leave his wife. Remember he wasn't enlightened when he originally left
    No, but he knew that in order to achieve his aim, he had to shed connections to matters and principles to which he had hitherto adhered, but which now merely served as obstacles, holding him back.

This is why we as practising Buddhists, opt to go on retreats. we shed the everyday hindrances in order to better understand our objectives.

What obstacles to your practice are you experiencing in your marriage?
  • edited September 2010
    Critical and Judgemental spousal attacks. LOL. I hate to sound bitter but i am. It seems that she has a torrent of hurtful things to say to me. We have had serious fights and sorry to say some abuse. It is just awful sometimes because of the yelling. We have gone to marriage counseling for 2 years. and we are just a little better. My biggest difficulty is backing down from aggressive attacks.

She attacks me with normal aggression and irritation and because of my upbringing i get real defensive and aggress back. I try to breath its just the attacks are so sudden and overwhelming. It seems that she is unstable but then once i react i am the unstable one, This all is making my head hurt and im overwhelmed. I just want to have peace between us. She has threatened divorce and i don't know why she wont follow through with it.

My friggin head aches from all this complicated drama. I try to just let it pass and practice impermanence in relation to all the burning fire. but sometimes it seems that the negative statements she makes are never going to stop. I know this is not typical of me because i usually have a lot of helpful insight into buddhist practice. But when it comes to my marriage im just baffeled and stuck .

Whew. I don't even know what that all is about , but maybe someone can have compassion and look into it with me.
  • edited September 2010
    I know this is not typical of me because i usually have a lot of helpful insight into buddhist practice. But when it comes to my marriage im just baffeled and stuck .

Sorry to hear about your troubles, treederwright.

Metta meditation might help, starting with thoughts of somebody or something that you love dearly, and following with love towards your feelings of anger and defensiveness, and then towards your wife...

It's ok to feel defensive, it's ok to feel angry - just don't let those feelings spill over into verbal or physical abuse - that's where mindfulness can help. As soon as those feelings arise next time, notice them, label them and let go. Stop yourself for a moment when you are about to say something hurtful. First and foremost, you are hurting yourself. Do you HAVE to respond to all the angry things your wife says? If so, why?

Hope you will work it out. Metta to you and your wife.
  • edited September 2010
    Do you HAVE to respond to all the angry things your wife says? If so, why?

Again im being super personal but i guess what goes around comes around.

i've heard that we have to teach others how we want and should be treated . I feel that if i keep letting her say hurtful stuff im going to feel so low about me that i won't have a me to bring to the relationship ( conventionally. I know the concepts i just need practical application of them to this particular dukkha) So in a way the only way i know to defend myself is to yell back. I grew up in a home for years my mother just screamed and screamed at me. and i took it. Now i feel like i can't be around a person who yells ( when she yells) but i also love her with a deeper mind that isn't taking record. Like i said very conflicted.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I don't know what, if anything, Buddhism would say, but it sounds to me like you're in a toxic relationship. I'd say get out.
  • edited September 2010
    thats kind and very thoughtful of you , but i'd rather find a solution and see what my contribution to the problem is. But good for you on being so healthy . I wish i could just leave but thats not a middle path solution for me at this time.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited September 2010
    treederwright,

Whew indeed, it sounds like a lot of energy is colliding between you and your wife! On one hand, its great, it means there is certainly a lot going on between the two of you.... but of course, it sounds intensely painful.

I think the best option, if you can manage it, is to find a teacher. No matter how insightful a post or article might be, there is an evolving quality to speaking with a teacher... they can help you deal with the confusion very directly, and cut through the general "she attacks me" into the specific causes and conditions that you are suffering from.

From where I am, it sounds like you are inappropriately making her words about you. This behavior strengthens our sense of 'self' and causes us to often abandon equanimity and loving-kindness. For instance, when others are suffering and they project a cause of that suffering on to us, we either accept it or reject it as a an attack against 'us'. Of course, there is no 'us' really, but we forget in that moment.

I also feel you could do metta practice for your wife. In the moment she is suffering, it is possible for you to see that suffering, embrace her appropriately, and help her feel loved and safe in the moment. Often, saying nothing, taking their hand and simply being with them can work wonders to validate and soothe their troubled emotions.

In correlation to this, if we try to point to our view on the true source of a person's suffering ("This anger you have is not about me, dear, its about your unhappiness in XXXXXX") then it can be very invalidating and compound the whirlwind. It is usually best to abandon our drive to help redirect their mind, and simply help to soothe it with our silent but powerful compassion.

It sounds as though the drama is a game that you've both been stuck in, passing the hot coal back and forth to each other, then crying out at the pain. Its normal for us to do that kind of thing, especially when we have not spent time dissolving our sense of self. By working with ourselves in that way, we make plenty of room in our minds and hearts for others to express their pains without our instinctive need to take it personally. As the one here at the board, you are in a place to lead by example, and love her when she needs it most. I would not suggest you try to help her through instruction.

I wonder, if you just sit and observe her insults, and perhaps take her hand and tell her you love her deeply... how long would her whirlwind keep blowing? If you don't feed it, often it will exhaust itself rather quickly.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited September 2010
    that was very touching matt, i don't think that what you said was off at all, and consequently pratical and theoretical. Not to mention exactly what our theripist is working to help us develop ,Thank you friend.
  • edited September 2010
    Critical and Judgemental spousal attacks. LOL. I hate to sound bitter but i am.

Don't hate to sound bitter. You are bitter and that is where you are. It's honest.

Before I say anything I would like to address my qualifications to speak on this issue. My wife and I have had a terrible, terrible marriage. It became abusive on both sides and I drowned myself in a bottle to the point it got me arrested. We both talked with divorce attorneys and concluded that with our 4 kids and other issues divorce was unaffordable. We were simply stuck with each other even though we genuinely hated each other and seethed with anger, rage actually every single day.

In other words I can empathize with you. I can understand everything you are feeling because they were my feelings. In my case things probably were even more desperate than is true in your case.

Many things helped, but by far the biggest thing that helped put us on a healthy path was empathy. I learned that were were caught up in a karmic death trap. I wasn't hearing a word she said because I already 'knew' what she meant. She didn't hear a word I said because she already 'knew' what I meant. She would be angry toward me and I would be angry toward her ad nauseum.

The only thing that broke the cycle was empathy. I knew I was hurting, but empathy allowed me to see her pain as well. I knew that I wasn't a bad person, I was simply dealing with more pain than I knew how to handle. Empathy informed me she also wasn't a bad|insane person, she was also dealing with more pain than she knew how to handle.

I could go into more detail, but won't unless you wish to ask here or in private instead I will share with you a technique that has surprised me with how effective it is. I actually 'stole' this technique with minor variation from Thich Nhat Hanh.

Anytime I become mindful that I am experiencing any emotion|mental state that is on the anger continuum I stop whatever I am doing, I go into the bathroom, close and lock the door and put a phony smile on my face. Then I close my eyes and do a focus on the breath meditation. I keep the phony smile on my face and focus on my breath until the anger is gone, compassion has taken it's place and the smile is no longer phony.

You could be forgiven for thinking this technique is silly, stupid or lacking in real world power. I didn't believe how effective it was until I tried it out of desperation. Most of the time it doesn't take more than 1 minute until the anger is replaced with compassion and an odd sense of peace.

This technique will not solve all your problems over night. I recommend it as a coping strategy when the emotions are out of control or you become mindful they are likely headed in that direction.

I am confident that if you try it just one time (just humor me) you will be very pleased with the result.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited September 2010
    thats kind and very thoughtful of you , but i'd rather find a solution and see what my contribution to the problem is. But good for you on being so healthy . I wish i could just leave but thats not a middle path solution for me at this time.

Sounds like, at least from what you've stated in this thread, you've been trying to find a solution and it just isn't there. I've all for couples trying to resolve their issues, but sometimes things just aren't resolvable.
  • edited September 2010
    I really feel guilty for being the center of attention in this post, i just had to talk to the sangha , I don't have a group to go to in person so i really apprechiate the guidance.

I like the continium concept. This is familiar to an abuse technique called "taking you own tempurature" its liek a thermomater and when you get more and more angry there is a degree that is the point of no return.

I am just so bothered that she keeps texting sarcastically right now. Im telling you that i think i have more hope than i should

Anyway im really glad you are all here to field the mental chitta.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Never got a formal diagnosis, but I think I used to have a relatively mild form of the symptoms usually associated with BPD. For me, the real beginning of the work was a year of hell-realm meditations. (Described in these podcasts.)
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Treeder - as someone who was in a toxic relationship (not as toxic as yours seems to be, but a lot of hurtful things were said), I can say that even as painful as it was and as lonely as it's been afterward sometimes, getting out of the relationship was the best thing that could have happened to both of us (we're still friends, and we still communicate). The relationship wasn't good for either of us.

One key thing to realize here for you is, she's not going to change because of anything you say, do, think, feel, or anything else. She's only going to change if and because *she* wants to change. You have to decide for yourself what the likelihood of that is, whether you're willing to wait it out if you think she does want to change, and whether you're willing to go through the very painful (more than likely) process that it will take her to change from this toxic pattern to something more healthy. Even if she had an awakening today and decided to change, it won't be a quick or easy process for her, and very likely there would be backslides along the way. But just know up front that there is not one single thing you can do to convince her to change herself. You can be as loving and supportive as possible, but if it's not her doing and her decision, it's not going to happen. So is it worth it to you to keep yourself in such a situation?

Not knowing you nor anything more about the situation than what I've read here, my gut instinct would tell me probably not, but of course, only you know the answer.

I wish you the very best with whatever you decide, and please feel free to unload on us when you need to.

Peace

Mtns
  • edited September 2010
    I just want everyone to know here that im not proud of it , though i must stay accountable. in these rages of pain , that feel like being stabbed in the brain, she yells at me , and i aggress very strongly. I yell and scream, call her names, defend and make the marriage a living hell. Your right that i can practice to calm myself.but usually i just skip past this all into im gonna take your proverbial head off. Its awful and i don't like it. I haven't physically hurt her. I don't hit her. but i've pushed and shoved. Sometimes the fights escalate fast and she is aggressive too. I just want to be happy with her. Sometimes things are great, she's my best friend. Others she just wont let up on me. And is critical overbearing demeaning and chips away at my peace of mind and confidence.I wonder does she love me because its like rambo " she drew first blood" then i can't even see straight. I get angry and rageful. I mean wouldn't you if the woman you love talks to you worse than an enemy? Its because of this supposed loyalty that i can't leave. I wish i had the ability to heal here but when i talk about my pain to her, it is diminished by her pain and supercedes my expereince, back and forth here. Then the next week it goes away like a zit. But having acne my whole life they always come back.

Thanks for all the help you guys.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I just want everyone to know here that im not proud of it , though i must stay accountable. in these rages of pain , that feel like being stabbed in the brain, she yells at me , and i aggress very strongly. I yell and scream, call her names, defend and make the marriage a living hell. Your right that i can practice to calm myself.but usually i just skip past this all into im gonna take your proverbial head off. Its awful and i don't like it. I haven't physically hurt her. I don't hit her. I don't push or shove. Sometimes the fights escalate fast and she is aggressive too. I just want to be happy with her. Sometimes things are great, she's my best friend. Others she just wont let up on me. And is critical overbearing demeaning and chips away at my peace of mind and confidence.I wonder does she love me because its like rambo " she drew first blood" then i can't even see straight. I get angry and rageful. I mean wouldn't you if the woman you love talks to you worse than an enemy? Its because of this supposed loyalty that i can't leave. I wish i had the ability to heal here but when i talk about my pain to her, it is diminished by her pain and supercedes my expereince, back and forth here. Then the next week it goes away like a zit. But having acne my whole life they always come back.

Thanks for all the help you guys.

i understand how painful that can be. relationships can be like that, any argument you can have hurts 1000x worse because of the lips that speak it.

i was having a similar problem reacting to anger, and it then getting out of control once i added my fuel to the fire, and someone (okay, it was my mom :rolleyes:) told me that when someone launches an attack at you, instead of getting angry and responding in kind... you should just tell them how it makes you feel. it still allows you to express your feelings, but in a passive way. if she insults you, and it makes you angry and hurt, instead of insulting back, just tell her, "you know, that really hurts me when you say things like that."
    if you have tried this, what she says in response can be very important. for example, if she says, "i don't care!" well... that can be a very telling sentence. but if it makes her take a step back and contemplate what she said to make you feel that way, then she respects your feelings. you need to have respect. if she responds with her own pain, then she is disillusioned into believing she is the only one that matters. this is sounding very toxic, unfortunately.
  • edited September 2010
    So it sounds as if, at least for now, you refuse to walk away from the relationship. That is a choice. Whether it is ultimately a good choice or not nobody here can say.

Having made the choice, at least for now, to remain in the relationship I will tell you something I am certain you already know.

You must work on yourself. You cannot change her period. Your perception of her behavior may be dead on accurate, but it's also clouded by a lot of powerful emotion which means it's not likely 100% accurate. The emotions are a cloud over our eyes and they simply do not permit us to see clearly. That's not just you, that is every person on the planet.

*IF* you choose to remain in the relationship then use her as your teacher. Use her as a barometer of your own mastery over your mental states. Use her as a test of whether or not you still have buttons that others can push or if you have successfully removed the wiring from those buttons.

Don't be afraid to walk away, at least temporarily. You haven't hit her which is very good, but it's just a matter of time before you do if the cycle of anger doesn't at least reduce in intensity and frequency. It's a continuum thing. You are angry so you want to hurt her and each time you do so it becomes easier to go just a little further the next time. You can see where this path leads. Walk away if you aren't able to retain control over your emotional state - PLEASE.

(oh, and do not come within 100 feet of alcohol or you are done for.)
    edited September 2010
    I agree with everyone saying you'd be better off out of this relationship than in it. Your subsequent post makes hell-realm meditations seem even more appropriate. (Whatever happens with the relationship.)
  • edited September 2010
    im scared.
  • edited September 2010
    relationships take a lot of work and patience if they are to work. that being said, there's only so much work that can be done.
  • edited September 2010
    everyone here is sounding real extreme about a divorce. I am just wanting to find coping help. Ultimately i will get a divorce if necessary. But i am not there yet. I think statements like " you should leave, I would leave, and etc, seem controlling " Its easy for me to leave, the difficult thing to do is to process and develop in the marriage. Thats the help im looking for. Sorry if that seems like i don't value your assistance. But leaving isn't the option at this time.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Have you considered or tried couples counseling?
  • edited September 2010
    i would ask the question: which one of you is the most unhappy? if that's even the right way to ask?
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah we have been in counseling for 2 years. We are better than we used to be. She claims abuse because anything i do that she disagrees with in anyway is abusive to her. Thats what bothers me the most. So it seems that most every action that i take is on her side perceived as abusive.
  • edited September 2010
    I try to practice these two lines of shantideva, Hot fire will burn if you touch it, Smoke in the sky clears if you sit through it. But im just a human and things are often not that clear.
    edited September 2010
    everyone here is sounding real extreme about a divorce.

Take the advice for what it's worth, treeder: opinions of random strangers on the internet. But you'd be surprised at how peaceful a romantic relationship can be, if that's what you go looking for. (I was in a similar relationship to yours; slightly worse, I think. It ended shortly after the conceptual attachment to aggression began to release.)

One of my criteria for future dates was that I was looking for someone peaceful who believed in something bigger than themselves. It really surprised me that relationships with people like that could be so easy, because I'd grown up in a family where interactions were dominated by hostility and disrespect. (As I suspect you were, given the BPD.)
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    the difficult thing to do is to process and develop in the marriage.

My honest reaction to that statement is, you're not in a marriage. You're in an abusive, toxic relationship. A marriage is a partnership of equals who treat each other with respect and love. I don't see either of those things in what you're saying... Trying to "develop" in that environment, while it may not be impossible, will most certainly be a mighty challenge. You'd be pretty amazing if you accomplished it. Just my thought.

Mtns
  • edited September 2010
    i have insulted you five bells and my fear like you have pointed out is betrayal. I don't have many friends except my wife. ( i know that pathetic) so you people are kinda helping me more than you know. What was your experience with the hell meditations?
  • edited September 2010
    Don't i deserve her anger because im angry at her? She presents a pretty good case of " i've really hurt her deeply" . Isn't her anger at me justified. Im afraid that its really me that is the problem in our marriage and that she is better than me. I don't know what to do . The BPD doesn't help. I greatly fear her leaving me.Thats why the reactions are so severe. I feel like a hungry ghost. My belly for love is large but i can't be satisfyed.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited September 2010
    She claims abuse because anything i do that she disagrees with in anyway is abusive to her.

I know where you're coming from with this. I was in a relationship with the same dynamic, and it was miserable. I never abused her in any way; but if I dared to disagree or have my own opinion, from her perspective I was being abusive. The worst part is that she was very hypocritical, controlling, and manipulative. (If anything it was her behavior that bordered on sexual abuse at times, as I was constantly being pressured into sex when I didn't feel like it.) It was a nightmare. I am VERY glad it's over now. Looking back I don't know why I put up with so much craziness for so long (three long years, most of which was awful).

You say that counseling has helped somewhat, and that things are a bit better than they were. What do you think needs to happen for the relationship to work? Do you think it can be repaired?
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Don't i deserve her anger because im angry at her? She presents a pretty good case of " i've really hurt her deeply" . Isn't her anger at me justified. Im afraid that its really me that is the problem in our marriage and that she is better than me. I don't know what to do . The BPD doesn't help. I greatly fear her leaving me.Thats why the reactions are so severe. I feel like a hungry ghost. My belly for love is large but i can't be satisfyed.

perhaps some anger is justified depending on what you did (did you cheat on her or something?). but she should also consider that there is no way to get over her hurt and anger if she refuses to let go of it. as much as you would like to save this relationship, all you can give is 50%. if you're with someone who won't give the other 50... then there is nothing you can do.

but as others have said, any advice you receive from us is based upon one side of the argument from a stranger that knows nothing of you in real life.

consider this though, the above is sounding exactly like what i have heard my mentally/physically abused friends tell me in justification of why their boyfriends/girlfriends hit them.
  • edited September 2010
    everyone here is sounding real extreme about a divorce.

Ahem... cough, cough. Not everyone. Do you see me recommend divorce in my posts?
    I am just wanting to find coping help.
    Which is why I recommended a coping technique that I lifted from a respected Buddhist teacher ;)

It's also why I told you plainly that you will end up hitting her eventually if you don't find a successful coping strategy and that any use of alcohol will destroy you as you will do something really stupid and possibly illegal when under the influence of both alcohol and anger.

If she is claiming abuse then there is a very high probability she perceives abuse and isn't just saying it to push your buttons. You may not have hit her, but are you larger/stronger than her? Have you ever made a threat out of anger? Ever grabbed her arms and told her to settle down? All of these things can scare the crap out of someone when the person doing them is angry and the person on the receiving end views themselves as having no hope of prevailing should things get violent. You may not perceive such things as abusive, but she very well may and if you put yourself in her shoes (empathy) you will see how she could perceive it that way because she is scared out of her mind.

I know of no cure for anger other than removing oneself from the situation to prevent anything regrettable from happening and then metta type meditations which the technique I shared with you is sort of an 'emergency' form of. They lead to empathy.

A relationship where at least one person is good at empathy usually works out. A relationship where neither is any good at it will almost certainly fail in a spectacular way. The bad news is that most men are really bad at it. The good news is that empathy is a learnable skill.

If it sounds like I am dogging on you I am not. I am instead putting the focus where it needs to be which is on you, not her. Only you can change you. Don't worry about her. Any focus on what she does is a distraction from the real issue. You are the one in hell and you are the one who wants out of hell. Only you can get yourself out of hell and blaming her doesn't help, it hinders. She could be a female reincarnation of Adolph Hitler and nothing I said in this paragraph would be invalidated.

If you want sympathy I can offer it, but it won't help. If you want truth, you got it. You are headed for a disaster and you are the only one who can change you. I am not telling you that you are 'wrong', I am telling you that she doesn't have control over your anger and it sounds like neither do you. Your goal is to do whatever it takes to get control over your emotions before it is too late. Time is ticking and so are you.
  • edited September 2010
    I feel scared . One of my fears is that i am doing my best and its not good enough.
    it was her behavior that bordered on sexual abuse at times, as I was constantly being pressured into sex when I didn't feel like it

I have even said these words, and i was told to go deeper into it with her to explore my fear of intimacy
    but if I dared to disagree or have my own opinion, from her perspective I was being abusive

Dude, this is what i hear each time i speak out against the criticism and hurt . She says " me too" and its not empatitic but sarcastic , i say " no what you said was really not ok" she goes " i can't ever tell you how angry i am, you don't listen and i am not ok, I cant do this, i don't want to be married like this, i am seriously sick to my stomach..." this is really scary and hurts me. But i just want to get pass the " AHHHH why do you say such mean things" phase.
    edited September 2010
    …I fear like you have pointed out is betrayal.
    If I came across as feeling betrayed, I produced a false impression. You haven't caused me the slightest disturbance.
    I don't have many friends except my wife. ( i know that pathetic) so you people are kinda helping me more than you know.
    Don't worry, it's common for people with BPD-like behaviors, and an understandable consequence of those behaviors.
    What was your experience with the hell meditations?
    It teaches you to wake up in the midst of aggression. One day my fiance was getting angry at me about something or other, and suddenly, this peace descended over me. The experience is hard to put into words; something like "You can be angry over there. I'm over here, and it's no problem." It's taken a long time to make that stable and reliable, and even now, sufficiently stressful circumstances can turn me into an asshole. The hell-realm meditations only release the conceptual attachment to aggression as an acceptable response to stressful situations. To release the aggressive reactions at the level of emotion, you have to go a bit deeper, and it took a lot longer for me. (Still not there, but I can pass for a normal human being, most of the time.)
  • edited September 2010
    I am taking into consideration everything being said. I am being open and honest and really am seeking help. Im not looking to blame her. I am stating facts. These things have happened and continue to happen. When i say she says something its been said, usually more than 10 times. I am not lying and i apprechiate everyone taking the time to support.
    edited September 2010
    Dude, this is what i hear each time i speak out against the criticism and hurt . She says " me too" and its not empatitic but sarcastic , i say " no what you said was really not ok" she goes " i can't ever tell you how angry i am, you don't listen and i am not ok, I cant do this, i don't want to be married like this, i am seriously sick to my stomach..." this is really scary and hurts me. But i just want to get pass the " AHHHH why do you say such mean things" phase.

You might try volunteering for a crisis- or suicide-counseling hotline. They will teach you techniques which are helpful in responding to this kind of thing.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I feel scared . One of my fears is that i am doing my best and its not good enough.

The sad fact is that some people are just not meant to be together. If your best isn't good enough for her, what else can you do?
    it was her behavior that bordered on sexual abuse at times, as I was constantly being pressured into sex when I didn't feel like it
    I have even said these words, and i was told to go deeper into it with her to explore my fear of intimacy

Did your counselor suggest that?! That is really outrageous. Your boundaries need to be respected. Nobody has the right to pressure you into sex if you say no or don't feel like it. That does not solve intimacy problems, it creates them.
    She says " me too" and its not empatitic but sarcastic , i say " no what you said was really not ok" she goes " i can't ever tell you how angry i am, you don't listen and i am not ok, I cant do this, i don't want to be married like this, i am seriously sick to my stomach..." this is really scary and hurts me.

That sounds terrible. It sounds like there is no common ground between you. Of course we are only getting a limited view of what your relationship is like, but what you've described sounds truly hellish. What made you two get married in the first place? Was it always like this? Why do you want to stay together?
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I remember someone experiencing similar problems not with a spouse but people in General my teacher told this person to view the problematic person as a Buddha...so they did and they found their problems ceased.
  • edited September 2010
    When i say she says something its been said, usually more than 10 times.

IT-DOESN'T-MATTER!

You have two choices. Leave or stay. If she is as awful as you have portrayed her then you are borderline nuts to stay.

You are focusing on the wrong thing - her.

If you are going to stay then you have to be able to remain healthy in spite of whatever she does or does not do.

What you have been saying here, perhaps without realizing it, is a variation on this theme "I am unhappy. I am in a relationship with a person who makes me unhappy. Here are the awful things she does that make me unhappy. If she would just change to be more to my liking I would then be happy."

IT-IS-A-LIE

You have to accept that she will never change a single iota. You have to abandon any belief that her changing even to a small degree is possible. Then you have to ask yourself if you can be grounded and emotionally stable and dare I say it - HAPPY with her in your life.

In other words, can *you* change enough to be happy without her changing one iota? Can *you* change enough to always treat her with respect and compassion even though she has not and will not change one iota? That my friend is your dilemma. If you are holding on to hope that she will change then you are grasping at smoke. To the extent your happiness is dependent on her behavior you will not be happy - ever.

You are in hell. You made the hell, not her. You are believing she can let you out of hell, but the key is in your hand, not hers.
    edited September 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    I remember someone experiencing similar problems not with a spouse but people in General my teacher told this person to view the problematic person as a Buddha...so they did and they found their problems ceased.
    Did you know this person well? Because that sounds suspiciously pat.
    edited September 2010
    username_5 wrote: »
    You have two choices. Leave or stay. If she is as awful as you have portrayed her then you are borderline nuts to stay.

I don't think further lecturing is going to make the point any clearer. :)
  • edited September 2010
    Well every relationship has ups and downs i thought. this is seven years of dysfunction added up and compressed . We both came from pretty chaotic homes. My father was distant and mother was abusive(period, i wasn't just a punk kid) her father and mother were heavily into drugs and were unavailable and neglectful. We both are in a 12 step recovery program and met there. She was my dream come true. I had been celibate for 6 months before we met. We were friends for a couple of months. She really isn't a demon woman. Just when she gets angry she is insensitive , cold, disrespectful and unswervingly cruel. She threatens to leave me constantly even when we were dating. We were good for 6 months of dating then subtly there became more and more problems. We just grew into this angry stuff together. We've been together for a long time. I do love her and some of my love is need. Sometimes i have been abusive like restraining. yelling, chasing, slamming doors, so i've done my fair share. Thats why she has a valid reason to say i have been abusive, anyway you can imagine how this has all been with the BPD, AA issues, plus i was diagnosed SED in school. I have had problems with Jobloss , internet issues , dishonesty. So im not a great partner myself. But i am willing to grow change and mature to have a healthy and happy marriage. I just lack some of the techniques.

Thank you guys.
  • edited September 2010
    Is this bothering people? i don't want to have a fight. I genuinely just am presenting this for examination by as many eyes that want to see it. I am not even disagreeing. I just want help.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Did you know this person well? Because that sounds suspiciously pat.

Ordinary Conceptions are what stem the minds of Delusion...If Ordinary Conceptions are changed then that problematic person in front of you ceases. ;)
  • edited September 2010
    Beautiful honest posting, treederwright. Good job!
    edited September 2010
    We both came from pretty chaotic homes. My father was distant and mother was abusive(period, i wasn't just a punk kid) her father and mother were heavily into drugs and were unavailable and neglectful. We both are in a 12 step recovery program and met there. She was my dream come true. I had been celibate for 6 months before we met. We were friends for a couple of months. She really isn't a demon woman. Just when she gets angry she is insensitive , cold, disrespectful and unswervingly cruel. She threatens to leave me constantly even when we were dating. We were good for 6 months of dating then subtly there became more and more problems. We just grew into this angry stuff together.

This is a classic co-dependence relationship. Try the communication techniques described in Conscious Loving.
  • edited September 2010
    Is this bothering people?

not me.

I have a question. I noticed that if I attempt to pronounce your username it sounds like 'treat her right'.

Any story behind that?
    edited September 2010
    Is this bothering people?
    No.
    edited September 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Ordinary Conceptions are what stem the minds of Delusion...If Ordinary Conceptions are changed then that problematic person in front of you ceases. ;)
    "Did you know this person well? Because that sounds suspiciously pat."
  • edited September 2010
    Everyone is saying great things. I don't think i've ever had so much support by so many people. I think that this kind of Sangha is awesome. Look at all the wisdom and buddhist compassion. I think you all are great additions to this forum.

As for the issue. Temporarily i have somethings i can do to help balance myself out. I will practice

The smile and breath meditation
    Keep in mind that i can't change her
    try and see her as a buddha
    take a look at the hell meditation retreat
    work on the anger continuium
    continue to respond with empathy ( which worked today btw. I just kept texting that i understand and i would feel the same way and etc. etc. Finally she said i apprechiate you listening and that i was avail)

These are the moments where i fall back asleep. It seems like all is good in metropolis untill the next villan comes out. Then you'll see me crying ,screaming, and confused and scared asking " what should i do, what should i do" to anyone that will listen.

Sometimes this is very exausting. Hopefully i will change and then be able to be firm in the midst of chaos.