Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How strict are you with the precepts

zidanguszidangus Veteran
edited November 2010 in Buddhism Today
Hi everyone, I was just wondering how strict people are concerning the precepts, and indeed how many precepts you observe.

I myself try to observe 10 precepts, as I think 10 is a more complete form for a Buddhist lifestyle then that given by the 5 precepts. Also I do not like to think of the precepts as just in their negative form ( which seems to be stated a lot in the literature I have read) but also try to ensure I make a concerted effort to observe their positive form also.
The precepts I try to observe both negative and positive are

Negative Form
I undertake the item of training which consists in
abstention from killing living beings.
abstention from taking the not-given.
abstention from sexual misconduct.
abstention from false speech.
abstention from harsh speech.
abstention from frivolous speech.
abstention from slanderous speech.
abstention from covetousness.
abstention from hatred.
abstention from false views

Positive form
With deeds of loving-kindness
I purify my body.
With open-handed generosity
I purify my body.
With stillness, simplicity, and contentment
I purify my body.
With truthful communication
I purify my speech.
With words kindly and gracious
I purify my speech.
With utterance helpful.
I purify my speech.
With utterance harmonious.
I purify my speech.
Abandoning covetousness for tranquillity
I purify my mind.
Changing hatred into compassion
I purify my mind.
Transforming ignorance into wisdom
I purify my mind.

Of course I do not obey them as much as I would hope to do, which is most likely the same for everyone on this forum, but I do my best to observe them and follow them.

Metta to all sentient beings

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I don't deliberately do most of those...

Sometimes I go on live chats and that can be frivolous and sometimes with harsh speach though I am not the worst offender with the second I do get harsh sometimes and then I regret it. As far as frivolous I think it meets a need in me for social contact.

I also think I have some confused thinking or wrong views. I suffer from schizophrenia and then there is just mundane confused thinking which includes stress and anxiety.

I try to be kind and truthful and generous if possible. Probably the worst thing is the confusion during the anxiety and sometimes I drink to get a high to mix up the pot from that anxiety. Which is bad not because it is 'devil liquor' haha but because it is trying to escape from the anxiety rather than constructively dealing with it. But I do constructively deal with it in just sitting quietly with it at times. Feeling my body really helps, sort of mindfulness. Sitting meditation makes it intensify but then sometimes it sort of melts. But I have found that fixating on relieving the anxiety only makes me more anxious, but if I sort of slow down and feel things it gets better.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2010
    I observe the five precepts, and I'm fairly strict with the first four. Not so much with the fifth. :D
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I kind of know where you are coming from, It is hard to follow some of them without completely shutting yourself off from the world. Which is why I guess a lot of lay Buddhists only follow the 5 precepts. I find myself that the positive forms of all precepts have real benefit to my life and I enjoy practicing them. However I find the negative form of the speech precepts are the hardest to follow. Never the less I try my best to observe them and if I do speak in such a way it goes against these, I feel pretty bad about it afterwards and have true remorse. The trick is to be extremely good at being mindful at all times, this is however easier said than done but never the less as I have said, I am committed to training myself in these precepts no matter how many times I fail in observing them.
    I don't know about other Buddhists but for me observing the precepts is the most fundamental way of going for refuge in the three jewels, as training yourself in them shows true faith and commitment to our lord Buddha and his teachings and also it can really dramatically change your way of life for the better.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    of course, i try to follow them. 1-3 are quite easy. the fourth, i find myself slipping every now and then. for example, at work my girlfriend is always referred to as "my boyfriend" because A. it gets guys off my back and B. my boss doesn't know i'm gay and i know she is very christian and i don't want to get fired because of it.

but in regards to the fifth, i am more liberal with it. basically, sometimes it becomes strikingly clear WHY the fifth precept exists and then i just think, "well, i have nobody but me to blame i guess..."
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited September 2010
    zombiegirl wrote: »
    of course, i try to follow them. 1-3 are quite easy. the fourth, i find myself slipping every now and then. for example, at work my girlfriend is always referred to as "my boyfriend" because A. it gets guys off my back and B. my boss doesn't know i'm gay and i know she is very christian and i don't want to get fired because of it.

why not just say "my partner"?
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited September 2010
    A new colleague at work made a point of describing how her partner dropped her at work as they only had one car and then went on to explain how her partner needed the car during the day .... she is an assertive and honest woman and when at the end of that work day she came to introduce me to her partner as we both happened to be leaving when she came to pick her up - would it have been a surprise if I had been to see their greeting without the clear forewarning that her partner was same sex? ... to be honest whilst I think not, maybe it would have been , though maybe in the same way it is often a surprise to meet workmates partners - mine is 11 years younger than me and maybe this is a surprise and a source of discrimination.
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Lately number one has been giving me trouble. I have a huge lawn, and have no choice but to mow it unless I want to face fines from the city and disapproval from my neighbors. I know countless insects are dying an untimely death when I mow, yet I seem to have little choice about mowing it.

I'm pretty good about four, but find myself occasionally uttering a lie in jest (e.g., I LOVE going in for a colonoscopy) or to protect someone's feelings. While the latter can be in line with the spirit of the fourth precept, it takes some self-examination to know whether one is sparing someone's feelings or making life easier for oneself.

The fifth precept has never given me much trouble. I've always hated the taste of alcohol, as well as the loss of faculties it brings. Long before I became a Buddhist, I drank very sparingly, usually only when "required" by a social situation.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I tend to find myself falling into the same trap regarding the negative form of the speech precepts.
    I think its because I always tend to be a bit of a joker, trying to make people laugh and smile. Sometimes I end up saying things which when I reflect could be thought of as insulting, but I never intend them to be, again I think its because I try to hard sometimes to make people laugh and smile.

• LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Nakazcid, I think with No. 1, intention is what's important. You are not intending to kill insects, and in fact you have no direct knowledge that you in fact killed any, just the suspicion that you must have. I think you need to cut yourself some slack.
  • edited September 2010
    I am pretty strict about 1-4. Far less so with number 5 though I have to admit.
    Rarely do I venture into "heedlessness" but I do enjoy fermented drink.
    I am far more strict about my ngakpa samaya vows.
  • edited September 2010
    Guys it's important to remember that the precepts are merely a guide. They are not laws or commandments that you will be punished for if you break. They are a guide that says if you do these things, you will create less suffering for yourself and for others. LesC, you hit the nail square on the head with regard to intention. That is the important thing. You don't mow your lawn with the intent to harm insects. If it happens, you can't really take responsibility for that, as your intent was not to harm. The truth is, things die. People die. Everything dies. That is the cycle of life. Hope that was helpful.
  • edited September 2010
    My views of the first precept agree with LesC and Punkmonk. It happens. I think it becomes wrong when you go around killing things just because you felt like it.

Even before Buddhism I never seriously had problems with either stealing or sexual misconduct.

Since I started practicing Buddhism I try and refrain from false speech. I'm realizing more and more that false speech ultimately just leads to suffering and needlessly complicates things.

As far as intoxicants, I've never smoked anything. I used to drink 2 to 4 beers daily but gave that up when I started daily meditation. Ultimately when I started practicing Buddhism, I promised myself on the special occasions when I do drink, not to get drunk (2-3 beers max). Promise has been kept so far.
  • edited September 2010
    I pretty much follow 1-4 fairly strictly...
    -Seeing as I am a vegan and don't believe in harming any kind of life.
    -I don't steal and never take without asking. My belief is if I don't have the money for it then I don't need it, unless it is something of an emergency.
    -I don't engage in any Sexual misconduct since I am in a serious relationship and wouldn't even if I wasn't.
    -False speech is also a given because slander and lies are not a good thing.

The fifth one to a point- I might have one glass of wine, but I don't abuse drugs or alcohol. In fact I don't do any drugs at all.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited September 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    why not just say "my partner"?

lol. people aren't as dumb as you may think. i've played the pronoun game before, it ends up just silly and odd and makes everyone realize what i'm really getting at anyways. and besides, i never bring it up, i'm always asked bluntly, "do you have a boyfriend?" by men who actually want to date me, it's not just polite conversation.

the nature of my profession is that i am struggling to keep sex and sexuality out of it and be seen as a professional. i have been a massage therapist for years, but after moving, you always lose all of your clients, sooo at the moment, i am doing massage in poker clubs. before most of my work has been aimed at people with actual physical injuries, i've worked for several chiropractors, and now i am forced to struggle to make myself seem reputable. from years of waitressing, i have found that the least sticky answer to the above question is just, "yes." it makes guys see me as unavailable and it doesn't pique their sexual interest the way that "no, but i have a girlfriend." does.

it's not exactly my ideal position, but it's what i have for now and i do enjoy it to some degree. but in regards to my boss, i never actually work with her, but she is always giving me pointers and comments saying, "i hear everything..." because people tell her everything. i cannot afford to lose this job so i don't mind the little white lie that "my boyfriend" is actually "my girlfriend". it secures my job and keeps the guys off my back, mostly.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Like a few others, the Right Speech precept is my main teacher. Trying to be diligent with this precept has had the most transformative effect on me. I've had to change to a vegetarian diet due to food intolerances that have surfaced over the past month. To be honest, I'm really annoyed because I LOVE eating meat. I don't think being a vegetarian (even by force) makes me a better person. Vegan =/= "better" buddhist. Sorry but that is a concept that really sticks in my craw.

I've also had to stop drinking ANY alcohol as I just can't tolerate it so in theory I guess now I have no issues following the precepts. Does it automatically make me a better person? Absolutely not. Do I try and try again to be a better person? Absolutely.

In metta,
    Raven
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I take 227.I try my best to keep them all.I just can't remember what they all are.He he
  • edited October 2010
    Yes...yes I do these things. Not all the time. But I keep them in mind. I can say that I never lie..but I "lie" to myself all the time when I convince myself that, "oh I'll just do that later," or "yeah I'll totally eat that!" And I never take alcohol or other substances, not even caffeine or much sugar, but I do all sorts of other things to escape. I never steal things, but if I'm not putting forth my best effort at work, is that like stealing the company's money?

The precepts are, as has been said, a guide. The goal is not "to be a good Buddhist and keep the precepts." The goal is to really understand why we keep the precepts. And the best way to do that is to live with them.
  • edited October 2010
    I don't feel as if anyone should be "strict" with the precepts. That seems, to me, to be against the spirit of the whole thing. Mindset and intention are far more important than being strict, imo.
  • edited October 2010
    Ok ok please don't laugh at me or ban me or anything but I have a serious question. How does masturbation tie into the sexual conduct precept? I've heard some say it's no good, I've heard some say go for it.
    edited October 2010
    SteadyBlue wrote: »
    Ok ok please don't laugh at me or ban me or anything but I have a serious question. How does masturbation tie into the sexual conduct precept?

It doesn't (see my post on sexual misconduct).
  • edited October 2010
    HHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA /ban

jk. I'm actually interested in this too. I think it's fine. It's absolutely not sexual misconduct, but I guess for some who are celibate--I don't know if it's considered okay or not.

Of course, like anything, if it becomes an addiction, it's just as bad as any other addiction, and must ultimately be let go of (probably by stopping all together.) I personally find the sexual response fascinating and do it when I feel like it. It's really interesting to take a mindful approach and watch yourself, your body and your mind. :)
  • edited October 2010
    I've always felt like masturbation was a way of preventing sexual misconduct/adultery. Is that just me?
  • edited October 2010
    Masturbation ingrains negative thoughts into the mind if you constantly fantasize about women, sex etc.
    I'm not sure but it's best to avoid it as masturbation distracts the mind.
    That is why meditators(some) uphold the eight precepts and one of them is the reinforcement upon the precept of 'no sexual misconduct'.

The precept which states no sexual misconduct in the eight precepts extends to 'sexual activities'. Couples who uphold the eight precepts are not allowed to engage in sexual activities for the day they uphold the precepts. This enables the mind of meditators to be kept intact :)

Breaking of precepts might be punishable by law. For example, if you stole you'll be jailed. However for breaking of precepts such as lies, there are also consequences such as nobody will believe you, Alzimeh( Short-term memory), guilt and a 'monkey mind' .

Many people put emphasis on keeping the 5th precept of no intoxicants intact.
    It is because intoxicants causes the person to be intoxicated and this takes away their reasoning, their restraint and their awareness. Breaking of the 5th precept will also cause the person to accrue bad karma for themselves and increase the chances of breaking the other four precepts( as a result of no restraint). Therefore the 5th precept must be kept exceptionally well, otherwise you'll risk violating the other four.
  • edited October 2010
    As the Venerable Webu Sayadaw said "one can only expect the fulfillment of ones aspirations if one is perfect in morality"

Obviously referring to spiritual aspirations. Morality leads to concentration, concentration leads to insight, insight leads to liberation from all ones bondages. Thats what the Buddha taught.

The precepts are our foundation.

If we want benefit from our practice we are kidding ourselves if we are not striving to maintain the precepts perfectly. End of story!!
  • edited October 2010
    Viriya wrote: »
    As the Venerable Webu Sayadaw said "one can only expect the fulfillment of ones aspirations if one is perfect in morality"

Obviously referring to spiritual aspirations. Morality leads to concentration, concentration leads to insight, insight leads to liberation from all ones bondages. Thats what the Buddha taught.

If we want benefit from our practice we are kidding ourselves if we are not striving to maintain the precepts perfectly. End of story!!

Perhaps early on if you feel it's necessary to look at it in terms of "strictness" than you can, but proper understanding does not allow for strictness, we simply are, and the way that we are will certainly fall in line with the dharma if we are of proper understanding.
  • edited October 2010
    TheJourney wrote: »
    Perhaps early on if you feel it's necessary to look at it in terms of "strictness" than you can, but proper understanding does not allow for strictness, we simply are, and the way that we are will certainly fall in line with the dharma if we are of proper understanding.

Well said, with proper understanding ones actions of body speech and mind automatically fall inline with the Dhamma. But lets not forget that true proper understanding is transcendental (quite apart from intellectual understanding) and the property of an Arahant. An Arahant has fulfilled the path to perfection. Strictness does not mean rigidness, without virtue proper transcendental understanding would not arise. The path is interdependent.
  • edited October 2010
    Well said, with proper understanding ones actions of body speech and mind automatically fall inline with the Dhamma. But lets not forget that true proper understanding is transcendental (quite apart from intellectual understanding) and the property of an Arahant. An Arahant has fulfilled the path to perfection. Strictness does not mean rigidness, without virtue proper transcendental understanding would not arise. The path is interdependent.

To me the only reason we act in a different way than that of one enlightened is ignorance. Enlightenment is here and now, all we have to do is realize it.
  • edited October 2010
    The full attainment of Nibbana is beyond even the present..the Buddha said 'let go of the past, let go of the future and let go of the present and cross over to the farther shore of true understanding and peace'. The present is the space from which all our ignorance can be unravelled, this takes time, one who can abide in the present is not necessarily enlightened as they have not purified all there ignorance but they are doing so by being here and now.
    Everything starts in the mind and maintaining the precepts is restraining and purifying the grosser aspects of our mind, from there we move on to more subtle impurities, until we have purified these grosser aspects, it will not be possible for the more subtle realities to be fathomed. The whole path moves from the gross to the subtle and then beyond it all!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The precepts, as already noted, are a guide, not commandments. The Dalai Lama has said that intent is everything. You can violate the precepts if you're doing it for a higher good. For example, you can lie or steal if it's to save someone's life. If your motive is pure and correct, you can bend the rules if necessary. That's in the Lamrim, as well. The precepts are "relative" in that sense.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Wonderful thread!
    Thanks!:)
  • edited November 2010

I agree with Viriya; the precepts are to be maintained conscientiously, to develop a discipline and strive toward realization and a higher morality, a better way of life. I also agree with Dakini, that they are not commandments, but that one needs to have sufficient justification for breaking one. Some extenuating circumstance, such as lying to protect someone from being killed. One doesn't have to take all the precepts; one should bite off only what one can chew. As one develops one's discipline, one can take more vows.
  • conradcookconradcook Veteran
    edited November 2010
    A question for you:

As I understand it -- and I may be wrong -- the five precepts are meant for renunciates. These are rules of personal conduct for monks and nuns, who are on the path to enlightenment, and they go along with not sleeping in a high bed, and so on. (This is sort-of like Christ saying, Ok, if you want to be perfect, sell everything you own, give the money to charity, and follow me.)

As I have read the literature, it seems the Buddha specifically said he does not teach anything other than the path to enlightenment and the end of suffering. My question, then, is whether the Buddha gave a moral code for the rest of us, who are not looking to renounce the world, but want to cultivate ourselves as well as possible within the framework of a worldly life?

Buddha bless,

Conrad.

ps - I've seen the precept against sex amended to, "I will refrain from sexual *misconduct*." But I'm not asking about later editorial decisions; I'm asking whether there's such a code that is credited to the Buddha himself.
  • edited November 2010
    I thought that the first 5 precepts were for lay people (on an optional bases) and the next 5 were for those who were preparing to become monks or nuns. Upon becoming monks or nuns, there were another 200+ vows to take. In some parts of the Buddhist world, though, I have heard people say that any precepts were just for monks. You can Google "Buddhist precepts" and take your pick of the answers. I've noticed that Zen words some of them differently. The one about slander says simply not to talk about others, or not to talk negatively about others, whether your statement is true or false. That's a big difference. I stick to slander. Either way, the 5 are the moral guide for laypeople.
    edited November 2010
    conradcook wrote: »
    A question for you:

As I understand it -- and I may be wrong -- the five precepts are meant for renunciates. These are rules of personal conduct for monks and nuns, who are on the path to enlightenment, and they go along with not sleeping in a high bed, and so on. (This is sort-of like Christ saying, Ok, if you want to be perfect, sell everything you own, give the money to charity, and follow me.)

As I have read the literature, it seems the Buddha specifically said he does not teach anything other than the path to enlightenment and the end of suffering. My question, then, is whether the Buddha gave a moral code for the rest of us, who are not looking to renounce the world, but want to cultivate ourselves as well as possible within the framework of a worldly life?

Buddha bless,

Conrad.

ps - I've seen the precept against sex amended to, "I will refrain from sexual *misconduct*." But I'm not asking about later editorial decisions; I'm asking whether there's such a code that is credited to the Buddha himself.

I think you might be confusing the five precepts with the eight, ten and full monastic precepts (227 for bhikkhus and 311 for bhikkhunis).

The five precepts are the basic training rules all Buddhists are encouraged to observe to the best of their ability. They constitute the basic level of virtue the Buddha advises is necessary for the peace of mind conducive to a successful practice, especially in regard to meditation, and they're seen as gifts "that are not open to suspicion, will never be open to suspicion, and are unfaulted by knowledgeable contemplatives & priests" (AN 8.39).

And just for reference, there's no evidence that the third precept for lay-followers is a later editorial decision; as far as we know, it comes straight from the Buddha (e.g., AN 4.99, DN 31, etc.)
  • edited November 2010
    I think adhering to the precepts is a work in progress. I am sticking to my precepts one at a time, the one's that i have stuck to, like abstaining from drinking, not stealing, not killing, adultery, I keep under control. But the verbal ones are hard to control for me since I get excited sometimes.
  • conradcookconradcook Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Thanks, guys. I still haven't looked it up to verify that my question was confused -- new books -- but it seems likely.

Buddha bless,

Conrad.
  • edited November 2010
    I try to take as of the 311 precepts that I can without being ordained and if I cannot take up a vow, I let it go, and accept my limitation.
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I try to take as of the 311 precepts that I can without being ordained and if I cannot take up a vow, I let it go, and accept my limitation.

Are there really 311????? Holy smokes! I've never come across any religion or world view that has as many lists as Buddhism. I think it is really funny - so many numbers!

As for me - I am feeling more and more affection for the Three Treasures, try to avoid the 5 hindrances, and work to live in the spirit of either 5 or 8 precepts (depending on the book I'm reading).

Interesting to see this new thread, as earlier this morning I decided that since I'm on the path anyway, I'd like to formulate a vow-taking ceremony in front of my sangha. I sit with an informal Soto group and our teacher (former long time monk with the SF Zen Centre) eschews anything to do with what he calls 'religion' - so we don't chant or anything. Just sit and walk and then have tea and talk. A couple of people in our group have taken vows with a Mountain Rain sangha in Vancouver, but I don't want to leave my island (Vancouver Island) so I'm going to ask them to show me how to make a rakasu (sp?) and ask if I can make my own vows in front of the group. I really like them and it makes more sense to do it with them than with strangers....................
  • edited November 2010
    Barra wrote: »
    Are there really 311????? Holy smokes! I've never come across any religion or world view that has as many lists as Buddhism.

You should read the Abhidharma and the Vinaya :crazy: there's so much to learn.
  • I took the 5 precepts one month ago. I was reading Sharon Salzberg's brilliant book on Buddhism called Loving Kindness, and she spoke about the 5 precepts, and I was offered the chance to take them at a Dhamma talk, along with a Buddhist name. Taking the precepts and sticking to them has been a challenge for me, but it has also been liberating.
  • Guys it's important to remember that the precepts are merely a guide. They are not laws or commandments that you will be punished for if you break. They are a guide that says if you do these things, you will create less suffering for yourself and for others. LesC, you hit the nail square on the head with regard to intention. That is the important thing. You don't mow your lawn with the intent to harm insects. If it happens, you can't really take responsibility for that, as your intent was not to harm. The truth is, things die. People die. Everything dies. That is the cycle of life. Hope that was helpful.
    I just have to say that I appreciate the name. Also, I take the precepts as guides rather than some divine commandment that is punishable by anyone other than myself. Some days I follow all five of them flawlessly, other days not so much (particularly the fifth). I still try to keep them in mind. Such as a the fifth. When I'm out drinking with a family member or friends, I try not to become very intoxicated. I keep in mind that there is a limit, avoid hard liquor as much as a I can, and try to keep the drinking in moderation. It's not quite "up the drunk punx" (if I met myself back when I was 16, my 16 year-old self would probably try to start a fight with me) but I don't mind.
  • i fine with all of them, except speech, which is bit dodgy at times

:dunce:
  • I follow them all strictly and effortlessly except the fifth... And that's because I don't agree that drugs are a hindrance to the path. They actually put me on the path, and they're helping me at the very end... I'm almost there, so close.
  • When I was in my early twenties the experiences that I had with magic mushrooms were so intense and the realizations seemed so deep that I was sure that I would be enlightened by the time I was 40. Now I'm 55 and I doubt that I would recognize enlightenment if I got hit over the head with it. Not for a lack of trying mind you. The first is the one that I fall down on.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Try Judaism - it has 613 commandments.

In metta,
    Raven
  • My precepts are mindfulness and being good to others. Much more important than the precepts are why they exist. They exist because people can't be trusted to notice the karmic consequences of their actions.
  • I keep the first four pretty well, but I struggle a bit with the fifth.
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    I had to do some thinking about "Take only that which is freely given" My bunch of friends head downtown to catch movies on discounted "Seniors Night" I'm not 65 yet but my friend and I figured that the young ticket sellers wouldn't be able to tell, so I asked for the $5 seniors ticket. Then I realized that if I was going to take my vow seriously, I wouldn't have done it. So this week we headed off to see The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (it's great!) and I ponied up the full $10.50 general admission.
  • The five precepts below are getting stricter with me...LOL....as the years of practise pass.

1. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking life.
    2. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking what is not given.
    3. I undertake the training rule to abstain from sexual misconduct.
    4. I undertake the training rule to abstain from false speech.
    5. I undertake the training rule to abstain from fermented drink that causes heedlessness. (drugs etc. too)