Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Metal?

ZaylZayl Veteran
edited December 2010 in General Banter
I like to listen to heavy, violent music on occasion (examples will be linked below) and it instills a certain primal feeling in me. There is nothing quite like cutting loose and headbanging or going to a concert and moshing around with random people. I like the strength and power the songs generally glorify, and how brutal it can be.

So my question is this, which bands do you like? any particular songs? and does listening to any of it interfere with proper practice for you?

Here are some songs I like, feel free to check them out!

Sepultura - Ratamahatta

Lamb of God - Break You

Dethklok - The Gears

Amon Amarth - No Fear for the Setting Sun

The Black Dahlia Murder - Warborn

Enjoy!

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I prefer the lighter stuff... Megadeth, Symphony X, Metallica, Nightwish, Epica, Dream Theater, Dragonforce, SOAD and so on. Back in the day I liked the heavier stuff like Mudvayne (before they turned emo), but that whole sub-genre has lost it's appeal to me.

As for proper practice... you know it's about intention... what do you get out of it? You're in a much better position to examine why you listen to it than anyone else.

Personally I did get a lot of my identity from the music I listened to and I don't think that was right intent. Now I just like to observe the complexities of the songs, so the genres of music I listen to have expanded greatly.
  • edited October 2010
    Lordi

Sarah Brightman

Within Temptation

I hear but I don't attach to them nowadays.
  • edited October 2010
    Zayl- All of those bands are awesome :) I recently became a fan of Daath. Some of my favorites are God Forbid, Fear Factory (all time fave), Divine Heresy, Pantera (of course), Bullet For My Valentine, Meshugga, and Shadows Fall. I'm amazed by the amount of good metal out there... and it keeps growing and getting better! \m/

As far as the question, imo, it all depends on you... perception, actions, reactions. There isn't anything inherently wrong with loud, aggressive, brutal, face melting metal :)
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Ohhhh my I love metal.

Fear Factory - Mechanize

Behemoth - Daimonos

Gojira - Heaviest Matter in the Universe

Meshuggah - Rational Gaze

some of my favorites.

I don't think it interferes with my practice. I readily acknowledge that the feelings of power and release of my anger are impermanent. i don't obsess over the bands or anything.
  • HanzzeHanzze Veteran
    edited October 2010
    check out this Buddhism metal heads :-) But don't be attached!!

http://www.thenoblesearch.com/menu.html
    http://www.myspace.com/unclenchedfists

...at the end the mad guys are the good?
    Wunderschöne Grafiken

WHAT COULD BUDDHISM HAVE TO DO WITH HEAVY METAL? ...
    http://theworsthorse.com/nated/nated-1.html

Journey of a Dream is a heavy metal story of a Tibetan refugee.
    It is a feature length documentary that will take audiences on an epic,
    global journey into heavy metal music, exile, Buddhism and Tibetan roots.
    http://www.journeyofadreammovie.com/
  • edited October 2010
    Any Meshuggah specially bleed or rational gaze

Mastodon

Lamb of God

And justice for all album from metallica

dream theater

Divine heresy

mudvayn

pantera

killswitch engage
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Hanzze wrote: »
    check out this Buddhism metal heads :-) But don't be attached!!

http://www.thenoblesearch.com/menu.html
    http://www.myspace.com/unclenchedfists

...at the end the mad guys are the good?
    Wunderschöne Grafiken

WHAT COULD BUDDHISM HAVE TO DO WITH HEAVY METAL? ...
    http://theworsthorse.com/nated/nated-1.html

Journey of a Dream is a heavy metal story of a Tibetan refugee.
    It is a feature length documentary that will take audiences on an epic,
    global journey into heavy metal music, exile, Buddhism and Tibetan roots.
    http://www.journeyofadreammovie.com/

Awesome stuff! Thanks!
  • chanrattchanratt Veteran
    edited October 2010
    ive been a metalhead since the early 80s so my bands come from all of the different sub genres....iron maiden, ozzy, slayer, metallica, megadeth, STP, AIC, black label society, lamb of god, audioslave,....
  • HanzzeHanzze Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I guess it is a good step to understand the first noble truth. :-) No attachment!
    Because: ...the memory remains!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PRr3zTzoVhk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PRr3zTzoVhk?fs=1&hl=en_US&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Even you walk on the "Crazy train" you will end up in this :-)
  • HanzzeHanzze Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Do anybody knows the meaning of this mudra :rockon:
    (the hand, not the banging head)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKCik3p6bJJ-ZXBwee0Plk1aM_EN9wIELXdbG_W7Ynj95cV3g&t=1&usg=__VzCM5CEdEOO__4UBZeyUZ2Tpsgg=
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited October 2010
    This sums it up:
    BlackMetalCoffee.jpg

I also like progressive metal and folk metal.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F9cqKafnUrk?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F9cqKafnUrk?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKCik3p6bJJ-ZXBwee0Plk1aM_EN9wIELXdbG_W7Ynj95cV3g&t=1&usg=__VzCM5CEdEOO__4UBZeyUZ2Tpsgg=
    One suggestion that I have heard is that it represents a goats head,which is a representation of the devil in christianity.There are probably other meanings as well.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited October 2010
    nanadhaja wrote: »
    One suggestion that I have heard is that it represents a goats head,which is a representation of the devil in christianity.There are probably other meanings as well.

Well according to Dio the metal artist who used the hand sign for Metal. It was used by his Italian Aunt or grandmother who used it to stop the "Evil Eye"

ronnie_james_dio_t520.jpg&t=1
  • edited October 2010
    nanadhaja wrote: »
    Depends on the tradition, sometimes it is for dancing traditions, sometimes tantric lineages (buddhist and non-buddhist).
  • HanzzeHanzze Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Just the mudra from a buddhist view... Could it be that I have seen it on some Buddha or Budhisattva paintings also?
  • edited October 2010
    Just the mudra from a buddhist view... Could it be that I have seen it on some Buddha or Budhisattva paintings also?

Its a wrathful mudra.
    And its very metal.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I cut my teeth on metal music. Metallica were pretty much the first band I ever really got into it. It was back in 1988. My sister was staying overnight at a friend's house and I was in her room rifling through her tapes. I came across a copy of ...And Justice For All and thought that the cover looked and the titles sounded pretty cool. I took the tape back to my room and played it on my little crappy gray boombox. I was hooked.

At the time though we lived out in the country so I had little exposure to music (no cable, so no MTV, for example). And nobody at my school listened to metal music. So pretty much my sister's Metallica tapes and my parent's Black Sabbath records were the only sources of heavy music I had.

A year later we moved into town. I quickly made friends with several metalheads in my new school, plus we finally had cable and thus MTV. I'd watch Headbanger's Ball religiously. Between that and my new friends I was discovering new metal bands left and right. From Metallica and Sabbath I got into bands like Iron Maiden and Megadeth. I graduated from that to Slayer and Testament and so on it to heavier stuff: Sepultura, Morbid Angel, Entombed and on and on. Then by around 1996 I had burnt out on metal music. I kinda felt that I had heard everything there was to hear and that there were few really good bands out there and millions of sub-par clones.

I began checking out differing genres of music, especially electronic and industrial. A couple of years later I started looking into heavy stuff again and discovered black metal (Emperor and Burzum, especially, are my favorites of that genre).

Today I listen to a fair amount of metal music, but there's a lot of stuff that I listened to as a kid that does nothing for me now. I also listen to a lot of other stuff. I'm glad I took a break from metal for those couple of years because I greatly expanded my musical horizons during that time. On the heavier side of things my favorite bands now are Neurosis (whom I hold in near reverence and take my username here from), Mastodon (Crack the Skye is the metal album of the decade as far as I'm concerned), and Nile.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited November 2010

I think I saw Crocodile Dundee use this to make a water buffalo lay down.
  • HanzzeHanzze Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Thank you Ven. Nanadhaya _/\_
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The devil would approve of my Pandora radio station :rockon:.
  • edited November 2010
    I'm getting into kind of ambient, experimental doom metal like Sunn O))) lately.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I listen to a lot of heavy music like Between the Buried and Me, August Burns Red, Veil of Maya, As Blood Runs Black etc etc, but in the last half year I've been listening to a lot of softer music like Iron & Wine, DeVotchKa, Calexico etc etc etc..

I can certainly tell you that after being an avid metal fan and musician who's dedicated ridiculous amounts of time to meticulously learning BTBAM songs and such for hours and hours of immersion a day then listening to nearly only soft music that heavy music causes a lot of anxiousness and even anguish with grindcore and such. You don't realise it because metal typically consumes the artistic tastes of a metalhead.

I know if I listen to BTBAM I do it more for musical prowess like the feelings I get when I listen to Shostakovich or Stravinsky, however, when I listen to As Blood Runs Black breakdowns I want to fucking break faces.
    edited November 2010
    SteadyBlue wrote: »
    I'm getting into kind of ambient, experimental doom metal like Sunn O))) lately.

I likes me some drone. :uphand:
  • edited November 2010
    Right now the only three metal bands I can think of that I actually listen to are Gojira, Messhugah and Pelican. SOAD is a notable favorite of mine as well.

I will say growling bores me to tears after a while, so I tend to stay away from such bands.
  • edited November 2010
    I love metal, and all different sorts. Gojira, Behemoth, Emperor, and Burzum are some great lesser-known bands that have already been mentioned. I'm also a big fan of post-metal, stuff like Sunn O))), Isis, Giant Squid, ect. And of course there are the straight-forward netal bands I enjoy like Death, Anata, Slayer, Soilent Green, and Cryptopsy.
    edited November 2010
    Ambulanceo wrote: »
    I love metal, and all different sorts. Gojira, Behemoth, Emperor, and Burzum are some great lesser-known bands

Are you kidding? Those are some of the biggest names in metal...
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2010
    I dig metal too. My favourites include Arkona, Behemoth, The Black Dahlia Murder, Carpathian Forest, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Finntroll, Glorior Belli, Lumsk, King Diamond, Korpiklaani, The Kovenant, Marylin Manson, Mercyful Fate, Morbid Angel, Naglfar, Neon Synthesis, Nightwish, Otyg, Psyclon Nine, Rammstein, Ram-Zet, Slipknot, Spectrum-X, System of a Down, Taake, Tsjuder, Vreid and Zeromancer.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    I dig metal too. My favourites include Arkona, Behemoth, The Black Dahlia Murder, Carpathian Forest, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Finntroll, Glorior Belli, Lumsk, King Diamond, Korpiklaani, The Kovenant, Marylin Manson, Mercyful Fate, Morbid Angel, Naglfar, Neon Synthesis, Nightwish, Otyg, Psyclon Nine, Rammstein, Ram-Zet, Slipknot, Spectrum-X, System of a Down, Taake, Tsjuder, Vreid and Zeromancer.

Marylin Manson, Rammstein, Slipknot, and system are great bands, but their not metal.

If a band is not listed at the Metal Archives it's not metal sorry.
    http://www.metal-archives.com/

Industrial, alt-metal, nu-metal are not considered metal.
    Marylin is rock.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited November 2010
    While, I do agree that those bands are not metal, there's no central authority which classifies what is metal or not.

Edit: Slipknot is actually on that website... not that it matters.
    edited November 2010
    Marylin Manson, Rammstein, Slipknot, and system are great bands, but their not metal.

http://www.metal-archives.com/

I didn't realize the Metal Archives was the arbitrator of all things metal. You learn something new everyday. :D
    Industrial, alt-metal, nu-metal are not considered metal.
    Marylin is rock.

I realize that some of the bands I've listed aren't technically metal (e.g., Psyclon Nine), but I figured they were close enough that people would get all anal about it. Guess I was wrong about that too. :D

As for things like alt-metal, nu-metal, etc., they're sub-genres of metal. I mean, when the word 'metal' appears in the category...
    edited November 2010
    Oh I do so love these "metal/not metal" conversations. If only such things could be addressed objectively. If only we had some kind of "Metal Commission" to judge and decree what is metal and what is not.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The radio show I listen too is called Metal Shop. They go by the metal archives.
    edited November 2010
    The radio show I listen too is called Metal Shop. They go by the metal archives.

Well, I guess that settles it then. :rolleyes:
  • edited November 2010
    Are you kidding? Those are some of the biggest names in metal...

By lesser-known I simply meant bands the average person doesn't really know. I think a lot of people know who Metallica and Iron Maiden are, but outside of the internet a lot of people don't know about Gojira or Behemoth. Maybe it's just where I live.
  • edited November 2010
    Zayl wrote: »
    I like to listen to heavy, violent music on occasion (examples will be linked below) and it instills a certain primal feeling in me. There is nothing quite like cutting loose and headbanging or going to a concert and moshing around with random people. I like the strength and power the songs generally glorify, and how brutal it can be.

Cool. I listened to a couple of the songs you linked to. Music is a weird thing isn't it? What we enjoy speaks volumes, but at the same time we speak nothing. The lyrics in the songs you linked to are unintelligible. Sure I could google them up, but I can't understand much of anything just from listening to the song itself.

Violence and angst and rage and fury are not inherently bad things. These are the kind of things the archetype of the warrior is naturally given to. According to Carl Jung this archetype is within all of us and it's really up to use to direct this energy to healthy pursuits rather than destructive ones.

So, I dunno, the links you gave really don't do anything for me personally, but I can recall a time when it would have.

If listening to this type of sound gets your blood pumping and emboldens you to take real risks for worthy causes then good for you. If it inspires you to abuse dead dogs then shame on you ;) You get my point?

If this sort of 'warrior' music gets your blood pumping in a direction that is good, beneficial and healthy then please keep on banging your head.
  • edited November 2010
    Ohhhh my I love metal.

Fear Factory - Mechanize

Behemoth - Daimonos

Gojira - Heaviest Matter in the Universe

Meshuggah - Rational Gaze

some of my favorites.

I don't think it interferes with my practice. I readily acknowledge that the feelings of power and release of my anger are impermanent. i don't obsess over the bands or anything.

Nice. :cool:

I can tell you are a Stiff Little Fingers fan too by your avatar.
    edited November 2010
    Nice. :cool:

I can tell you are a Stiff Little Fingers fan too by your avatar.

Actually it's a Massive Attack logo too :p

SLF aren't bad though.
  • edited December 2010
  • I say we start up a new genre of Buddhist metal. We'll call it:

Mettal.
  • So my question is this, which bands do you like? any particular songs?
    Can't believe nobody mentioned Amorphis yet? Or maybe I just missed it. Anyway, I'm a big fan of Nightwish and Epica in particular, as well as some of the other bands mentioned already.
    and does listening to any of it interfere with proper practice for you?
    I love these bands because I am in awe of the extraordinary skills required to both write and play such music.

I am equally drawn to them because of the strong feelings the music and lyrics evoke in me. It is for this reason that I find it actually conducive to Buddhist practice. Because it brings me to a greater awareness of myself and my dark side.

Everything in moderation is best, however. Too much emphasis on the heavy stuff, and I find that I become depressed and angry. I also enjoy classical music while working, music for meditation (or which is meditative) for its spiritual or inspirational qualities, and anything really that requires awe-inspiring skills to pull off regardless of genre... I'd like to see Josh Grobin do vocals along with someone like Simone Simmons from Epica in a symphonic metal album, lol.
  • I say we start up a new genre of Buddhist metal. We'll call it:

Mettal.
    Nice. :)
  • I am an old school metal fan.
    Mountain, Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Montrose, Deep Purple, etc.
    I know some would say these are hard rock classics, but they are also the guys that invented heavy metal music.

Metal music will not interfere with your practice unless you buy into some of the negative shit that gets put into the music.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    It's Christmas time why not some Christmas metal?

• [quote=Idontlikemylife;148145]Nice. :cool:

I can tell you are a Stiff Little Fingers fan too by your avatar.[/quote]

Actually it's a Massive Attack logo too :p

SLF aren't bad though.
    Oh, they look very similar.
  • I will listen to just about any sort of music. I find that I like the folksy stuff more these days though, but I do love me some metal to pump me up.

Growing up I listened to rock music and it's progressed into just about every genre for me.

If it sounds good then I'll listen to it. (music that is) :)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I like some bands. From a Buddhist perspective, it can be comforting to find some support in lyrics.

For example:

"Close your eyes
    You can find all that you need in your mind

I close my eyes
    And feel the water rise around me
    Drown the beat of time
    Let my senses fall away
    I can see much clearer now I'm blind"

• I don't listen to much metal (and hard rock and subgenres of metal) these days, but I do like bands such as:

Cradle of Filth
    Dimmu Borgir
    Dry Kill Logic
    HIM
    Arch Enemy
    In Flames (I really love In Flames!)
    Deftones
  • How about some crust punk? It's like what happens when brutal, heavy metal and loud, abrasive punk rock get into the pit and beat the crap outta each other. Check it out.

• edited December 2010
    Another one from the greats Wolfbrigade. It's called "The Awakening" and the lyrics are:
    Blind leads blind
    stumblin' on through
    pain and misery
    Not aware of what we do
    We fear the unknown
    even our own shadow
    It's hard to be here
    but we don't dare to go

Too deaf to hear
    Too blind to read
    It's safer to grin and bare it

An open book