Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Compassion without Buddhism

edited December 2010 in Buddhism Today
Sorry for all these topics I've been making; I just have a lot of questions and don't want to jumble them all into one topic.

The ultimate goal of Buddhism and meditation is to develop yourself to help others. But is it really necessary? The most philanthropic humans in history were not Buddhist, nor did they meditate. Isn't meditation a waste of time if you can reason your way to helping others? I understand meditation has its place and CAN certainly help, but I don't see how it necessarily ALWAYS does. I think most would be better reading a few books on ethics and then devoting ALL their time to helping others. It's not that hard to snuff out habits and selfish thoughts without thousands of hours of meditation.

Isn't it a bit selfish to wish to reach whatever state (enlightenment?) Buddhism may bring you when you could be spending that time for action in helping others? It's not like Buddhism is necessary. What's the point?

If this sounds like an attack, it certainly isn't. I just wanted to really elaborate and make my question as clear as possible :)

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Awakened compassion is always skillful. Unawakened may or may not be, and the delusional mind can think itself reasonable and yet be mired in wrong-thought and cause much harm with the intent of compassion. "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

At least some sort of framework, some correct view of reality, should be gathered by someone. One can follow the guidelines shown in Buddhism to act skillfully in many more situations than they otherwise might, regardless of enlightenment. Enlightenment does help, though.

The greater the degree of selfless view, the more potent the compassionate actions. Jesus would seem to have been awakened to some degree whether he was a Buddhist or not. Take it for what it's worth.
  • edited December 2010
    Certainly the Buddhist path is not to only way to inprove your life and to help the world at large. The reason so many religious and other systems of ethics exist is because there are many different type of people.

Each person must choose thier own path. None is , in truth, better as a whole but might be better for a specific person.
  • edited December 2010
    Goal of a bodhisattva is to save others before saving themselves. Hence they will need to develope many skillful means over many life times. Who knows Einstein wasn't a bodhisattva within one of his life time? Sometimes the best of intentions might not help everyone in the big picture.

I do say sometimes true and uncorrupted Christian teachings are great benefits to alot of people to at least make sure they still come back as humans next time around.
  • edited December 2010
    Because there are many different type of people and different type of mind exist. As such, teachings on the right mindset is crucial for healthy of body and mind as well as understanding the destiny of the past, present and future. This could only be done on "meditation". Philanthropy is very broad in Buddhism, it needs not necessary towards the destitute alone, but the wealthy, fame, heavenly beings, hell beings, Ashura beings, animals etc.:p
  • edited December 2010
    hey voyaging.

interesting question

i think the question is "to what level can we be of benefit to others?"
    if you just want to feed someone for a day then fine
    no need to develop ones mind

but i think most come to meditation and buddha's teachings
    because they are wanting to be happy and free themselves from suffering

then after study and practice they realise that all sentient beings are equal in their struggle to be happy and free from suffering

so the study of compassion begins
    and according to buddhist philosophy
    we should view all sentient beings as being our mother (in a past life)
    and once we begin a serious path of compassion for all sentient beings
    we then learn the benefit of this compassion
    it is two fold
    1. the obvious benefit for others
    2. the vast benefit for self
    - ones mind is more peaceful
    - ones own body is healthier

i think the degree at which one can be of benefit to others when one is confused is limited
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited December 2010
    voyaging wrote: »
    Sorry for all these topics I've been making; I just have a lot of questions and don't want to jumble them all into one topic.

The ultimate goal of Buddhism and meditation is to develop yourself to help others. But is it really necessary? The most philanthropic humans in history were not Buddhist, nor did they meditate. Isn't meditation a waste of time if you can reason your way to helping others? I understand meditation has its place and CAN certainly help, but I don't see how it necessarily ALWAYS does. I think most would be better reading a few books on ethics and then devoting ALL their time to helping others. It's not that hard to snuff out habits and selfish thoughts without thousands of hours of meditation.

Isn't it a bit selfish to wish to reach whatever state (enlightenment?) Buddhism may bring you when you could be spending that time for action in helping others? It's not like Buddhism is necessary. What's the point?

If this sounds like an attack, it certainly isn't. I just wanted to really elaborate and make my question as clear as possible :)

I see your point, but consider this. People can't reason their way to compassion. In fact, reason gets in the way. For every reason you can come up with to help a stranger, there is a reason not to help. Throw in having compassion for people you don't like? Reason utterly fails you.

But, Buddhism certainly doesn't hold the patent on compassion. The most compassionate person I ever met was my Grandmother, who happened to be an olde time Christian minister. It's not just my bias. To this day, when I'm introduced anywhere in that part of the state and it's made known I'm her Grandson, someone will tell me about something she did for them.

And, she had the wisdom to do the right thing in trying to help people. It's not just a desire to help others. Misguided actions that are stained by your own fears and desires can hurt, no matter what the intention. In the past few years, some Christian missionaries were only trying to help when they set up churches and schools in an African country. Their preaching of their brand of fundamentalism combined with an already present distrust for homosexuals, and sparked a hate campaign so that laws were passed, so being homosexual is a crime punished by death. All because some Christians who didn't know what they were doing tried to "help".

So it's not just trying to help. It's developing the clear mind so compassion motivates you to do the correct thing in the situation.
  • edited December 2010
    Cinorjer wrote: »
    I see your point, but consider this. People can't reason their way to compassion. In fact, reason gets in the way. For every reason you can come up with to help a stranger, there is a reason not to help. Throw in having compassion for people you don't like? Reason utterly fails you.

I believe I, in fact, have reasoned my way to compassion, not as an emotional state but an ethical stance. I follow utilitarianism. It is purely reasoned.
    And, she had the wisdom to do the right thing in trying to help people. It's not just a desire to help others. Misguided actions that are stained by your own fears and desires can hurt, no matter what the intention. In the past few years, some Christian missionaries were only trying to help when they set up churches and schools in an African country. Their preaching of their brand of fundamentalism combined with an already present distrust for homosexuals, and sparked a hate campaign so that laws were passed, so being homosexual is a crime punished by death. All because some Christians who didn't know what they were doing tried to "help".

This I definitely understand as being a benefit of meditation, but at the same time I think I could certainly reason that it would be a bad idea to set up churches in an African country. Schools I think would be a good idea.
  • edited December 2010
    Ultimately any compassionate intention without the wisdom of impermanence and no-self is eventually doomed.
  • edited December 2010
    Ultimately any compassionate intention without the wisdom of impermanence and no-self is eventually doomed.

Take a situation such as this.

Person A without the wisdom of impermanence cures cancer.

Person B with the wisdom of impermanence feeds one person.

I think we all know who has contributed more to helping humans.
  • edited December 2010

Remember Buddhism is a religion and a philosphy, hence we have the supramundane truth of karma, samsara and realms where human alaya consciousness go after death. What Buddhas and Bodhisattva really worry about is to save sentient beings for this continuing cycle.

While even great ch'an masters in the past have indeed said things like "What need is thereto meditate?"

He is referring to highly cultivated individuals who have already seen their intrinsic nature who are practicing the "Sudden awakening" Ch'an school. Those people already have developed deep good karmic roots over many life times to be able to awaken to the teachings.

Most of us are unfortunetly truly begainners and hence must start from the begainning with discipline, meditative concentration and wisdom.

Buddhism is hardwork that requires effort.
  • edited December 2010
    Ch'an_noob wrote: »
    Remember Buddhism is a religion and a philosphy, hence we have the supramundane truth of karma, samsara and realms where human alaya consciousness go after death. What Buddhas and Bodhisattva really worry about is to save sentient beings for this continuing cycle.

It is a staged development that may not be able to be acheived within one life time.

I do not believe in rebirth, nor ever will whether or not I follow Buddhism.
    Ch'an_noob wrote: »
    As I said before, this is very definite. One cannot seek the Buddha outside of the mind. Hence technology cannot alter our consciousness to enlightenment. Anything that convinces people otherwise is slandering the Dharma.

Mind and brain are connected, not the same but are an absolutely connected entity. To change the brain is to change the mind and is not "outside" the mind.
  • edited December 2010
    I actually recommend you see a venerable at a reputable Buddhist Sangha community where you can discuss with someone learnt face to face. I feel internet is too limited that only aids in increasing eachother pre-concived notions and ego.
  • edited December 2010
    markwayne wrote: »
    i think the degree at which one can be of benefit to others when one is confused is limited

This seems to assume that anyone who hasn't studied the Dharma is "confused". I think it's possible to act compassionately and effectively without being a student of the Dharma. Some people are gifted that way. Christian missionaries have messed up all over the world, because they were culture-bound and also were pushing their own agenda. Not everyone has an agenda to push, they're open to learning first, studying a situation and getting to know the people or culture or individual involved, then devising an appropriate strategy to address whatever conditions need improvement. The key, I think, is to be free of any agenda or preconceptions, so as to see a given situation clearly. One doesn't necessarily need Dharma training for that. Or any religion. A sound sense of ethics is key, as voyaging mentioned.

If voyaging consults with a teacher at a Dharma center, he or she will get the teacher's point of view. While that may be informative, it won't be impartial or objective. Possibly voyaging turned to us in search of an objective response...? But I'm sure voyaging is perfectly capable of evaluating a teacher's response and reaching a reasoned conclusion. Welcome aboard, voyaging.
  • edited December 2010

Cancer will always get cured, one person will always get fed, cancer always never gets cured, one person always never gets fed.

The question is not only to get it done, but to ensure that you keep doing it forever.
    edited December 2010
    I believe I, in fact, have reasoned my way to compassion, not as an emotional state but an ethical stance. I follow utilitarianism. It is purely reasoned.

This I definitely understand as being a benefit of meditation, but at the same time I think I could certainly reason that it would be a bad idea to set up churches in an African country. Schools I think would be a good idea.

Actually, utilitarianism is not as reasoned and free from emotional bias as you would think. But that's a topic for another thread. You still have to start by choosing some ethical rules that are entirely subjective. It's kindness as a means to an end, not compassion as Buddhism defines it. Reason means you weigh the pros and cons of your kindness. Compassion is only giving.

But beyond that, people are of course blind to their own bias toward a desire for a specific outcome to their giving. The missionaries would argue passionately that churches are exactly what Africa needs, to counter a growing Muslim influence. They would be horrified if you wanted to pass out free condoms and preach the gospel of safe sex to help keep aids and unwanted pregnancies down. Two compassionate people with an entirely different way of seeing the problem.

And if you asked the people in that area, they might say what they really needed was more wells so they could have fresh water and a generator so they could have some electricity once in a while.

Buddhism certainly doesn't have the patent on compassion or even wisdom. I would never discourage anyone from acts of kindness for whatever reason. That's why charitable donations come with a tax break in most cases. That's fine.
  • edited December 2010
    This seems to assume that anyone who hasn't studied the Dharma is "confused". I think it's possible to act compassionately and effectively without being a student of the Dharma. Some people are gifted that way. Christian missionaries have messed up all over the world, because they were culture-bound and also were pushing their own agenda. Not everyone has an agenda to push, they're open to learning first, studying a situation and getting to know the people or culture or individual involved, then devising an appropriate strategy to address whatever conditions need improvement. The key, I think, is to be free of any agenda or preconceptions, so as to see a given situation clearly. One doesn't necessarily need Dharma training for that. Or any religion. A sound sense of ethics is key, as voyaging mentioned.

If voyaging consults with a teacher at a Dharma center, he or she will get the teacher's point of view. While that may be informative, it won't be impartial or objective. Possibly voyaging turned to us in search of an objective response...? But I'm sure voyaging is perfectly capable of evaluating a teacher's response and reaching a reasoned conclusion. Welcome aboard, voyaging.

Thank you for the very helpful response.

Could you answer me, then, why should I practice Buddhism when I have a sound ethical stance?
    edited December 2010

Person A saves many lives. One of those lives might be a brutal dictator that goes on to kill thousands of people.

Person B saves one life. That life might be the person who goes on to discover the cure for cancer.

And so it goes. It's not a contest or a matter of counting bodies saved. Compassion is not greatest good for the greatest number of people. It's just helping people, one at a time.
  • edited December 2010
    Person A saves many lives. One of those lives might be a brutal dictator that goes on to kill thousands of people.

Person B saves one life. That life might be the person who goes on to discover the cure for cancer.

And so it goes. It's not a contest or a matter of counting bodies saved. Compassion is not greatest good for the greatest number of people. It's just helping people, one at a time.

Interesting example, I'll ponder that.

But shouldn't it be greatest good for the greatest number? If I have the option of saving 100 random people over one, I'd save the 100 and risk that one of them would become a dictator.
  • edited December 2010
    Thank you for the very helpful response.

Could you answer me, then, why should I practice Buddhism when I have a sound ethical stance?

Well, what I was implying is that you may not need Buddhism, to be honest. But the goal of Buddhism isn't as narrow as you state it at the outset: to develop yourself to help others. If that's all it is, you may be able to do that effectively without Buddhism. Enlightenment is the ultimate goal, I think, and freedom from afflictive emotions. Meditation and Dharma study can help reach those goals. Perhaps other participants could clarify or state additional goals. Really, to answer your questions effectively, we would first have to examine your statement as to what the goal of Buddhist study is, and then discuss from there, IMHO. If the nature of your question is more along the lines of "Why do I need Buddhism", rather than "If it's about helping others, why do I need it", then that's a very different question.

Some make the point that the development of wisdom is one goal of Buddhism, wisdom to guide one in the application of skillful means to the expression of one's compassion, but my perspective is that some people have sufficient innate wisdom to be able to be effective in the exercise of compassion. (I realize this is debatable.) So that leaves us to look at Buddhism's other goals.
  • edited December 2010
    Well, what I was implying is that you may not need Buddhism, to be honest. But the goal of Buddhism isn't as narrow as you state it at the outset: to develop yourself to help others. If that's all it is, you may be able to do that effectively without Buddhism. Enlightenment is the ultimate goal, I think, and freedom from afflictive emotions. Meditation and Dharma study can help reach those goals. Perhaps other participants could clarify or state additional goals. Really, to answer your questions effectively, we would first have to examine your statement as to what the goal of Buddhist study is, and then discuss from there, IMHO. If the nature of your question is more along the lines of "Why do I need Buddhism", rather than "If it's about helping others, why do I need it", then that's a very different question.

Some make the point that the development of wisdom is one goal of Buddhism, wisdom to guide one in the application of skillful means to the expression of one's compassion, but my perspective is that some people have sufficient innate wisdom to be able to be effective in the exercise of compassion. (I realize this is debatable.) So that leaves us to look at Buddhism's other goals.

I don't believe in rebirth. I don't think enlightenment lasts after physical death. Does this affect anything?
  • edited December 2010
    I don't believe in rebirth. I don't think enlightenment lasts after physical death. Does this affect anything?

Whether or not one needs to believe in rebirth to be a Buddhist has been debated several times on this site, even in the short time since I've been a member, probably has been debated before, and will again. And there's a debate as to whether the Buddha actually believed in rebirth himself, or did he put that gloss on his teachings because he was teaching to an audience that had been steeped in that belief, but his own true belief was that karma functioned as a principle within a single lifetime, no rebirth. What people have said is that Buddhism isn't a dogma so you don't have to believe in rebirth, plus; the Buddha said to question everything, and submit it to your own analysis, so my personal position is that there's flexibility there. You could review old threads on this site if you want to see others' responses to the rebirth question. But nobody gets rejected as a Buddhist just because they don't believe in rebirth. At least, not here. But you're right; there does seem to be an acceptance by many of the idea that reaching enlightenment can take many lifetimes.

This site is a place where you can explore questions like that. You're not required to buy into anything in order to participate, but to just show an interest in Buddhism, as I understand. See the current thread under "Buddhism for Beginners", titled "Dubious Buddhist Beliefs".
    edited December 2010
    Interesting example, I'll ponder that.

But shouldn't it be greatest good for the greatest number? If I have the option of saving 100 random people over one, I'd save the 100 and risk that one of them would become a dictator.

That is one of the entirely subjective ethical rules you must decide on with any list of moral actions. I don't think there is one right answer, and I certainly refuse to make that decision ahead of time.

Reason tells you the needs of the many outweighs the needs of the few, or the one (thank you Star Trek). It sounds great in theory. In practice, a majority is always reluctant to share with a minority. In practice, there's no reason against just getting rid of the disabled, the few people who take up resources that the many could be using. Reason has always been misused, so I don't trust it.

You also have to decide on the relative worth of individual life, if you follow reason. Is the happiness of one doctor worth more than the welfare of two healthy people with no skills? How about the head of a government, or a business? Why should they be expected to sacrifice for the sake of people who don't contribute? So reason says that sometimes the needs of the few trump the needs of the many, if it's a special few. Guess who gets to decide what makes someone special? It's not the people without a voice, for sure.

Just pointing out some of the thoughts that went through my head when I first studied utilatarianism. I'm not saying it can't work. I just need more convincing.
  • edited December 2010
    That is one of the entirely subjective ethical rules you must decide on with any list of moral actions. I don't think there is one right answer, and I certainly refuse to make that decision ahead of time.

Reason tells you the needs of the many outweighs the needs of the few, or the one (thank you Star Trek). It sounds great in theory. In practice, a majority is always reluctant to share with a minority. In practice, there's no reason against just getting rid of the disabled, the few people who take up resources that the many could be using. Reason has always been misused, so I don't trust it.

You also have to decide on the relative worth of individual life, if you follow reason. Is the happiness of one doctor worth more than the welfare of two healthy people with no skills? How about the head of a government, or a business? Why should they be expected to sacrifice for the sake of people who don't contribute? So reason says that sometimes the needs of the few trump the needs of the many, if it's a special few. Guess who gets to decide what makes someone special? It's not the people without a voice, for sure.

Just pointing out some of the thoughts that went through my head when I first studied unitarianism. I'm not saying it can't work. I just need more convincing.

Firstly, I realize that my ethical stance is a subjective stance, and does not hold objectively true under any conditions. Same goes for Buddhist ethics.

I treat all people as ends in themselves and as equal value no matter what person they are. This hopefully clears up a few problems.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited December 2010
    I do not believe in rebirth, nor ever will whether or not I follow Buddhism.

No need to believe it. But then there is the question ... is the person who reads these words the same or different from the person who wrote the words above. Without any philosophical or religious or belief-strewn fidgeting, isn't it simply true -- the past is unalterably out of reach; the future cannot be known; and the present, no matter how we chatter about it, cannot be grasped. So ... if this is simply true, what the hell is going on here?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    It's interesting if you're paying attention and notice that you seem to be observing both thinking and acting, rather than actually being the one thinking and acting.
  • edited December 2010
    Voyaging, your obviously very content with your current life and thats a fortunate state of being that not many people have.

Buddhism isn't something that tries to get believers by debating. Buddhism accepts and happily uses science to help sentient beings.
  • edited December 2010
    The ultimate goal of Buddhism and meditation is to develop yourself to help others. But is it really necessary?

Well, the idea, I think, is that it's not an either-or proposition; it's both-and. You can practice Buddhism and help others at the same time. And the deeper you get into examining your own mind via meditation, the more skillful your methods of helping will be. But as I said before, you may already be skillful enough to make a positive difference in the world. May I ask, what projects you've accomplished? Just curious.

To be frank, I do agree with you that practicing Buddhism and meditating to reach enlightenment, without compassionate action in one's life, is a bit selfish. That's my personal view. I've heard that Thai monks take on charitable projects, like running orphanages. And I think many practitioners practice compassion in their day-to-day lives. I don't know how many take on the sort of global projects that you were suggesting. And I don't think that's really necessary, it's just one option. One can help individuals or work at charities closer to home, as well. One can commit random acts of kindness every day.

And there's more to it than just developing yourself to help others. Members--anyone want to share thoughts on what Buddhism's goals are?
  • edited December 2010
    I deeply appreciate all of you helpful members on assisting me during a flux in my life.

I think I will follow Buddhism's meditation teachings, while not adopting any of its metaphysical or conceptual beliefs. I only have one reservation, and that is that I am afraid meditation will lead me to less ambition in whatever my moral goal is. For example, attachment to the drive to learn and help others is, I think, important.
  • edited December 2010
    Remember, voyaging; "both-and", not "either-or". That's the key. Meditation, if nothing else, will help you develop calm in times of stress (it's been clinically proven to switch the nervous system from sympathetic mode (stress) to parasympathetic (calm), and decreases the amount of stress hormones in your body.) For that alone, it's valuable; simply as a healthful practice. It won't cause you to somehow lose your focus on your work, and cause you to want to run off and join an ashram. ;) To the contrary, it will enhance whatever your field of endeavor is. When you become adept at meditation, it can help you see things clearly, ideas and inspiration can come. When you still the left side of the brain (as in meditation), the intuitive, right side of the brain comes to the fore. That's the part of the brain that generates inspiration and insight.

You won't become detached from the drive to learn and to work to help others. I'm still as driven to learn and work to empower others to improve their lives as ever. (We're not trying to turn you into some kind of thrall, here; fear not. ;) )

Good luck, voyaging; I've enjoyed discussing with you. Please drop in from time to time to let us know how you're doing, and what you're up to.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited December 2010

The greatest help you can give others is to permanently free them from all sufferings via enlightenment, nirvana. (not temporary solutions to aspects of suffering in their lives)

Something I like from Loppon Namdrol:

Whoever is attached to a result for this life, is not a Dharma person.

The purpose of Dharma is liberation, not feeling better in this life. The purpose of Dharma is not the cultivation of mundane compassion, and so on.

The purpose of Dharma is to control afflictions, then overcome them, and finally, to attain a state of total omniscience and freedom.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    xabir wrote: »
    The greatest help you can give others is to permanently free them from all sufferings via enlightenment, nirvana. (not temporary solutions to aspects of suffering in their lives)

Something I like from Loppon Namdrol:

Whoever is attached to a result for this life, is not a Dharma person.

The purpose of Dharma is liberation, not feeling better in this life. The purpose of Dharma is not the cultivation of mundane compassion, and so on.

The purpose of Dharma is to control afflictions, then overcome them, and finally, to attain a state of total omniscience and freedom.

I agree with this only up to a point. It seems a bit cold. Ignore all the suffering around us? I can't do that. What about the Boddhisattva way of life? Where does HHDL's "religion of kindness" fit in, here? I think one can work toward the eventual goal of overcoming afflictions and attaining freedom while at the same time skillfully practicing compassion towards others along the way.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Dakini wrote: »
    I agree with this only up to a point. It seems a bit cold. Ignore all the suffering around us? I can't do that. What about the Boddhisattva way of life? Where does HHDL's "religion of kindness" fit in, here? I think one can work toward the eventual goal of overcoming afflictions and attaining freedom while at the same time skillfully practicing compassion towards others along the way.
    Buddhism's compassion is not merely the mundane compassion of sentient beings who seek to help each other in small but limited ways.

Buddhism's 'Mahayana' compassion is to strive for the liberation of sentient beings, nothing less.
  • Compassion without buddhism is discrimination. Because most lay people will not find it hard to be "compassionate" toward people they like, people they deem are poorer than thm. Cute animals etc. Only with the mind of non-duality can you hope to treat and be compassionate to all beings equally.

Most of us can't even stop resenting "ignorant people", let along talking about real compassion. I am sorry for making it sound confrontational. But yeah, just putting it out there.
  • Compassion without buddhism is discrimination. Because most lay people will not find it hard to be "compassionate" toward people they like, people they deem are poorer than thm. Cute animals etc. Only with the mind of non-duality can you hope to treat and be compassionate to all beings equally.
    most of us can't even stop resenting "ignorant people", let along talking about real compassion. I am sorry for making it sound confrontational. But yeah, just putting it out there.
    I agree that without Buddhism, one doesn't learn non-discrimination. But remember that this thread was started by voyaging, whose interest was in doing Good Works abroad, among communities in need. How voyaging relates to people closer to home is another question.