Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism is a Nutshell, Please.

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I think I'm ready to take the dive, become a Buddhist, act like a Buddhist, be a Buddhist.

But I need to know that I understand the basic concepts fully. Someone care to help me?

Life is suffering.
Suffering is caused by unskillful attachment/desires.
Attachment can be stopped via the 8-fold path.
Follow 8-fold path to the best of my ability.
Follow 5 precepts to best of my ability.
Meditate regularly.

But... with these ideas, I still do not feel as though I am complete.

Comments

• We only have frustration in life so far as we expect life to conform to our desires. Why should it? Rather, we should find peace in the way that it already is. I'd suggest http://www.buddhanet.net as a good study resource.
  • edited December 2010
    1. Better way of saying it. If you live you will suffer.
    2. Suffering is caused by all attachments, but not by desires. Desiring is a natural part of life. The key to desiring is not to crave. Be happy with where you are. But you can desire to improve yourself and your situation.
    3. I suppose
    4. I guess. They're pretty basic morals, I would say. Other than the drinking thing. I can only advise that you don't see precepts as commandments.
    5. Meditation is great!

Here's what may help you. Impermanence and non-self. There is no "self" found in anything, because there is no permanence. All things are in flux.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited December 2010
    For me, Buddhism is reading the heart (by emptying the mind). If you can do this, you don't really need a guideline like the 8-fold path.

Also on a side note: there is no distinct line between being a Buddhist and not being one. There is also no such thing as a good or a bad Buddhist, so don't be to harsh for yourself in trying to remember it all or doing everything 'right'. Just take the time, that's far more important.

I wish you well :clap: ,
    Sabre
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Oh, yes, I forgot about impermanence and non-self. Thanks, TJ. :)

I suppose the actual roadblock with me is the lack of an explanation of... creation, I suppose.

Is time, reality, infinite?
  • What is time except observing change? The only time we seem to care about is the time that "we" are alive, but there's no end in sight. There's neither time nor not-time; there's only change, and that can only hurt us if we cling.
    :banghead:

Well, technically "I" have not existed for billions of years, apparently. So, does time end when "I" end? Or, wait, what? I'm so confused. :dunce:
  • Oh, yes, I forgot about impermanence and non-self. Thanks, TJ. :)

I suppose the actual roadblock with me is the lack of an explanation of... creation, I suppose.

Is time, reality, infinite?
    You assume there is some orderly thing such as time. Time is just a concept. It has no basis in reality. All that exists is chaos. There is no order to any of it, BECAUSE OF impermanence and non-self.

What I honestly advise you to do is just continue to meditate on impermanence and non-self. These hold the key to finding the truth. Some say dependent origination, as well.
  • Haven't you technically always existed, MindGate? Where did the atoms come from that make up your body? Energy and matter aren't destroyed, they only change. It's only in clinging, trying to create permanence ("I") that we lose the Dharma. Everything you are has always been, and will continue on after you "die"; that said, there's no true birth or death, only change. Nothing to fear, except ignorance which leads to fear. :)
  • edited December 2010
    :banghead:

Well, technically "I" have not existed for billions of years, apparently. So, does time end when "I" end? Or, wait, what? I'm so confused. :dunce:
    You're asking the right questions. Let me tell you where this all leads. "You" are not separate from "time." You are, in fact, not separate from anything. How can this be? Because you are all that exists. Not just you, everything is. All that exists, is simply our self. If you want to call it that.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2010
    I don't really have any problems with the last five statements (besides that I think craving is a better term to use), but the first is different story. Life isn't just suffering (see this and this).
    When I said I, I was referring to me, my ego, my conscious, not what makes it up.
  • I think I'm ready to take the dive, become a Buddhist, act like a Buddhist, be a Buddhist.

But I need to know that I understand the basic concepts fully. Someone care to help me?

Life is suffering.M
    Meditate regularly.

Maybe, when you get a job and have a family of your own, you'll be complete. Meanwhile, just do what is best.

• When I said I, I was referring to me, my ego, my conscious, not what makes it up.
    Your ego is only an illusion. All that exists doesn't make you up. YOU ARE all that exists.
    edited December 2010
    Also, footiam, I meant... the basis for what I perceive as Buddhism didn't really feel solid. If I were to live my life by that I'd feel like I'm not doing something right.

And, TJ, again, that sounds very pantheistic to me; everything is one, you are everything.
  • If you associate pantheism with not being true, and what i'm saying sounds like pantheism, then don't worry about it :)
    If you associate pantheism with not being true, and what i'm saying sounds like pantheism, then don't worry about it :)
    I now feel as if everyone is trying to confuse me.
  • Not trying to confuse you at all. There is no truth to strive for. You are the truth.
    So, what you are saying is...:

Everything is chaos, there is no order, everything is changing. <-- (We can see this scientifically, no? Quantum physics, if I recall from last year, shows that atoms, on a very minute level, are only chaotic particles working at random.)
    You are one with everything, you are all that exists. (We are not individuals, we are just part of the chaos that is everything, forever changing.)
    As of now, we should cease to be attached to things, but still have desires for desires will surely make us stronger.
    And a good way to do this would be 8-fold path/other good moral guidelines.

Riiight?
  • "Hard is it to be born a human, hard is the life of mortals. Hard is it to gain the opportunity to hear the Sublime Truth, and hard indeed, to encounter the arising of the Buddhas. To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind - this is the teaching of the Buddhas. Enduring patience is the highest austerity. 'Nibbana is supreme,' say the Buddhas. One is not a true renunciate who harms another, nor a real renunciate who oppresses others. Not despising, not harming, restraint according to the code of monastic discipline, moderation in food, dwelling in solitude, devotion to meditation - this is the teaching of the Buddhas."- Dhammapada Sutta v182-185
  • So, what you are saying is...:

Everything is chaos, there is no order, everything is changing.
    Exactly. This chaos, this ultimate, is everything, and everything is the ultimate. It is important to understand that you are not a part of the ultimate. You are the ultimate. You are just one of an infinite amount of expressions of the ultimate. You, personally, are the ultimate. And yet everything is the ultimate.

The only purpose of having desire is because it makes you happier. We all want to be happy. Without an ego, we cannot experience happiness for we are everything. Therefore it is your instinct to pursue happiness. Whatever you think that means.

moral guidelines are a crutch for people who are unevolved. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with morals, or with being unevolved. I am simply saying that if you believe that you have found the moral standard to live by, live by that moral standard. For me, my moral standard is being happy.
  • edited December 2010
    What does creation, or having a story of creation, have to do with it, MindGate? Buddhism is a method of releasing yourself from your neuroses or "afflictions", liberating yourself. Look to science for your creation story.

Buddhists don't behave any differently than your average person, do they? It's not like you can pick a Buddhist out in a crowd. My outward behavior didn't change when I adopted Buddhism. Inwardly, I became mindful, I meditated, I became more conscious of my actions. But there's no "dive" to take, really. It's just basic thoughtfulness of others, which I'm sure you already are, and then analysis of your thought patterns, becoming aware of counterproductive thought-habits, and the like. Judging by your posts here, I'd say you've already been a Buddhist from some time. ;)

Welcome, anyway.
    edited December 2010
    So far, I only have one thing that I disagree with, the last thing you said.

My analogy as I see it:

Being happy is like... playing baseball.

Lets say you want to play baseball. You could just stand there and swing the bat and run in circles, but you might not be the best players, or may not even know the rules, so you get instructed on how you should play, or your stance, or how to hit the ball, and once you're instructed, you can then choose how you like to play the best, while using these instructions to help you.

Happiness I assume is like that. You use the precepts, 8-fold path, or any other moral guidelines as helpers, instructions from a teacher, which you can use to help you be happy, to help you play base ball, per se. :)

----

CW,

Well, to me, I suppose calling myself a "Buddhist" sort of means a lot to me. Also, I'd assume the meditation, mindfulness and such would cause your outward behavior to change.
  • edited December 2010
    You are happiness. Well, rather happiness is as much true as any other emotion. Thus, you can choose happiness. Because it's who you are, if you so choose to be.
    I'm not so sure people can just spontaneously be happy.
  • You're right, but that is only true if at a deep level they don't want to be happy. If you truly, within all of your depths, want to be happy, you will be happy. That doesn't mean bad things may not happen to you. But you can not let them affect you, if you so choose.
    edited December 2010
    So, people with chemical imbalances which cause them to be depressed are actually choosing to not be happy? -- No disrespect intended. :)
  • Happiness is internalizing impermanence and not-self so that the way the world is doesn't bring you down. Peace is no longer needing or depending upon happiness.
  • So, people with chemical imbalances which cause them to be depressed are actually choosing to not be happy? -- No disrespect intended. :)
    You don't understand because you don't understand not-self and impermanence. Just study and contemplate those concepts.
    This is one thing that I am stuck on.
  • There are, I believe, an infinite number of levels of understanding of these teachings. Ultimately they are everything. The more you understand these concepts, the more you understand everything.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited December 2010
    @MindGate: Your first task then, should you choose to except it, is to analyze the self; understand Anatta/Anatman (Not Self). Find anything that persists, that doesn't require conditions to arise, doesn't change, doesn't require conditions to come unbound. Try to find any permanent core or self within your body and mind, something that isn't interdependent upon everything else.
    edited December 2010
    :skeptic:

I'm just stuck on: If you truly, within all of your depths, want to be happy, you will be happy.

So, please just answer this question with a simple sentence, preferably yes or no:

If someone has chemical imbalances in their brain which cause them to be depressed, do they truly not want to be happy?
  • I think that's TJ's words. I would say understanding reality itself is what brings happiness; we all want to be happy, but it is in not having clarity of vision, in understanding our situation and what gives rise to our frustrations, that we are unhappy.
  • :skeptic:

I'm just stuck on: If you truly, within all of your depths, want to be happy, you will be happy.

So, please just answer this question with a simple sentence, preferably yes or no:

If someone has chemical imbalances in their brain which cause them to be depressed, do they truly not want to be happy?
    There is no "someone." You still think there is a separate self. You are everything! There is no separate self.
    :wtf:
  • edited December 2010
    Someone with chemical imbalances in the brain has a medical/psychiatric condition. It's not about choosing not to be happy. They don't have a choice. Until they address the condition.

Aren't some people spontaneously happy? Don't you know bubbly people? It's possible to be happy by nature. So where are you at on the chem-imbalance - to - naturally bubbly scale, MindGate? Somewhere in the middle?

And I wonder how we each define "happiness". I think quietly contented is a realistic goal.
  • edited December 2010
    :wtf:
    Very difficult to understand. The only way you can learn that everything is you is by learning about anything and everything. The more you see, the more you see yourself.
    edited December 2010
    @C_W

Yeah, probably. I may even be a little masochistic because sometimes it feels good to cry. :skeptic:
  • :skeptic:
    No. They have a chemical imbalance in their brain. However, meditation has seemed to work in some cases of depression.

"[Buddhist psychology's] basic prescription is for the daily practice of meditation, and I am inclined to agree that this is the best way to get at the root of depression and change it. That requires a long-term commitment, however, since meditation does not produce fast results." - Andrew Weil MD

http://www.wildmind.org/applied/depression
    http://planetgreen.discovery.com/food-health/meditation-helps-depression-as-much-as-drugs.html
    http://www.mcmanweb.com/meditation_yoga.html

• I think I'm ready to take the dive, become a Buddhist, act like a Buddhist, be a Buddhist.

Life is suffering.
    Meditate regularly.

Know you are nothing.

• Know you are nothing.
    Lol, you should avoid life coaching then.

Mindgate, yup I think you have summed it up. We don't do it just for the hell of it though. You don't simply pick up a couple of concepts, stop doing a couple of things and expect something to happen.

The eightfold path, in my opinion, is a way to cultivate wisdom. It doesn't mean you'll instantly become "complete". It gives you the tools to figure out why you're not complete. It's not as simple as "here... do this and you'll be fine". After you gain more and more insight and after you get more and more experience, cultivate compassion, grow as a person and understand the reasoning behind the eightfold path and dependant co-arising then you can start to examine and understand what's missing (or hindering).

• But I need to know that I understand the basic concepts fully.
    You won't understand these concepts "fully" until you are enlightened. An intellectual understanding is not enough.

However, through meditation you can gradually gain a deeper understanding of these concepts and see their truth.

The ideas are not meant to make you feel, or be, "complete." They are, in part, designed to make you realize there is no "you" to be completed. Striving to be complete is an unskillful endeavor.
  • If you associate pantheism with not being true, and what i'm saying sounds like pantheism, then don't worry about it :)
    I now feel as if everyone is trying to confuse me.
    I know exactly what you mean, MindGate.

Don't get bogged down in concepts and theory, or try to reach a goal.

Just meditate. Follow your breath, and when the focus on your breath is pulled away by thoughts, just see them as "thinking" and compassionately come back to your focus on your breath. This will likely happen a lot if you haven't meditated very much.

Live in the moment, it's all you have. Take what you do off the cushion and focus on your day to day activities just like you focus on your breath when you meditate.

Be mindful of the core teachings: the eightfold path and the 4 noble truths.

Best wishes!

• Know you are nothing.
    Lol, you should avoid life coaching then.
    Gawd yes I should avoid coaching anyone, that is just ego biscuits, isn't it...

I like "Know you are nothing" as nutshell of dharma, which is what was asked for. if I am mistaken, coach me;)

• You yourself arise from interdependence. A human life has absolutely no meaning, and in fact cannot exist without other sentient beings.

Buddhism in a nutshell; I believe, is realizing that your life is meaningless (or empty) in and of itself. Your life only has meaning in relation with other sentient beings...

Meditating on this little thought I think a lot of things will fall into place for you.

If I'm out of place, I apologize. But it seems to me as if you're regurgitating what you've read. You've formed this image of a "Buddhist" in your mind, and have decided that you wish to become this image...

Just... stay the course my friend. Keep questioning the nature of life. :)
  • Life goes on, everything changes, despite our expectations.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited December 2010
    @MindGate: Your first task then, should you choose to except it, is to analyze the self; understand Anatta/Anatman (Not Self). Find anything that persists, that doesn't require conditions to arise, doesn't change, doesn't require conditions to come unbound. Try to find any permanent core or self within your body and mind, something that isn't interdependent upon everything else.
    I second that.

I've been studying Buddhism for about a year, since I've joined this forum a bit over two months ago I've gotten very serious about it, but I still have my ups and downs. About two weeks or so ago I decided it was time (because of my nature I'm trying to read more advanced teachings) to make sure that my foundation was secure. I thought that 'emptiness' was the best place to start, so then I did some hard thinking in order to write a post to see how well I comprehended it. Despite the fact that I don't truly understand it, any breakthrough in comprehending emptiness, at least for me, has translated as a breakthrough in Buddhism. Everything else makes more sense and a firmer conviction comes along with a better grasp of emptiness. As Cloud aptly put it (not in this thread, of course)--one angle of emptiness is a combination of anicca and anatta, two of the three seals and since they cause the third, dukkha, whose remedy is analyzed either in the four noble truths or dependent arising you can see how, in fact, a comprehension of emptiness is paramount to being Buddhist. Of course, take my word with a grain of salt, but also let me add, that if my understanding is correct, emptiness when fully realized will lead you to stream-entry which is very close to liberation.