Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How exactly does one go from renunciation to compassion?

JoshuaJoshua Veteran
edited February 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Hello,

I understand how Buddhism leads to a refined happiness, though it seems here that happiness is without many of the semantical parallels one would expect. It then follows that one would be without jealousy, greed and all the other forms of attachment. It, however, seems that compassion is a form of attachment and is also itself quite relative in the network of samsara. It doesn't follow that an enlightened being ought to have a (my own words here) neurotic drive to be compassionate, it seems rather that an enlightened being should be completely apathetic in absolute terms. Yet something tells me intuitively that compassion is right, but I cannot pinpoint it methodologically. I've asked myself this question before and I've been asked this question before from a variety of abolutist or nihilistic perspectives. It seems now that I've a bridge to cross, or a river if I'm to be proverbial, and this question has become very urgent.

Can anybody help?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    I wish people would think about the word liberation more. An enlightened person is liberated. He is free. All chains have been broken. Is he compassionate? Well, usually he's compassionate, probably. But it is what he chooses, and believes to be best. He does it out of his own free will, and not out of any feeling of necessity.
  • Then what happens to the bodhisattva?
  • A bodhisattva, by it's very nature, cannot exist. Or rather, cannot be found in this physical world. And yet he cannot be avoided. That person who randomly did a kind thing for you that turned your day around? He was a bodhisattva. That person who told you something that really helped you in your understanding? He was a bodhisattva. Bodhisattva's have transcended all notions of self.
  • if he's not compassionate, he's not enlightened, pure and simple, love and compassion are the ground of the buddha's teaching, and if you leave out the ground step, compassion, your building a house of cards with no foundation IMO
  • It sort of seems unnecessary.

Yet it seems pleasant.

Still, the raft to be abandoned in the end I take it?
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited February 2011
    John,

I'm asking why this is so?

It's a presupposition that is just accepted without any ground, the problem is this Buddhist philosophy requires the abandonment of relativity. I'm not talking about what makes a human happy, this is beyond humanity. A Tibetan would say beyond our universe. Even happiness is relative. It really helps, it's really nice, sure. We can even flirt with the eschewed concept of merit here. My real question is from the perspective of an enlightened being. The enlightened being is beyond relativity.
  • There's no right way. Stop thinking in those terms. There is no way other than the way, and therefore you cannot go against it. So, do not look for anything outside of yourself. What do you think is best?
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I do like empiricism.

Still, I was hoping somebody might be able to be a bit more technical about it. Maybe some Prasangikin showdown would help, it doesn't really matter. It's really that when in debate on Buddhism with myself or another, or especially when in debate about the greater truth and why compassion should be sought after that I find myself proselytizing often on Facebook or such I'd like a better argument than something which boils down to: "That's just the way it is."

A clever person can stiff out the trail of bullshit.

The clever person can lead an army.

I know a number of clever, angry people.
  • Ok. Well, if you want to be convinced that compassion is best...

All things are mutually dependent. There is no separate self in existence. It is a self-evident truth that happiness, and not suffering, is what we desire. So, therefore, we pursue that individually. And yet you cannot say that you are separate from anyone you meet, and so you act compassionately towards them, because them being happy is the same thing as you being happy, since you're not separate.

• A clever person can stiff out the trail of bullshit.
    What's that smell? :)

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    It doesn't follow that an enlightened being ought to have a (my own words here) neurotic drive to be compassionate, it seems rather that an enlightened being should be completely apathetic in absolute terms.
    Hi Joshua

Some views:

1. An enlightened being is required to interact with the world. For example, a monk must go on alms round to collect food. The (enlightened) monk must eat. If follows, in return for what the monk is given, he has a natural obligation to return something if he is asked a question. If asked a question, the monk simply needs to share his knowledge; to share his path.

2. An enlightened being need not neurtically search for people to help. For example, if an enlightened being, needing to earn a livelihood, establishes a meditation centre, they simply need to demonstrate meditation & share the path. Those who need help will visit the meditation centre.

The Buddha included Right Livelihood in his path beceause every human being must earn a living to acquire their requisites of food, clothing, shelter & medicine.

So one never really escapes 'relativity'.

To end, we can struggle with compassion because we can separate compassion from our own practise of the path and we can believe we must offer more than simply sharing what we are practising.

Kind regards

:)
  • one adopts training suitable for discerning how to support wholesome formations, and "renouncing" unwholesome ones, let's assume that the renunciate acts of free will and the desire for Nibbana. Then how could there be a dichotomy between compassion and renunciation? Seeing cessation firsthand, would one not find also compassion?
  • Thank you.

What seems to puzzle me is the compulsory attitude that an enlightened being, especially those Mahayanist ideals, ought to neurotically achieve some sort of a "messiah complex" when the very philosophy of orthodox Buddhism seems to eliminate this very behavior that is too often proselytized at least on the English speaking internet as if to turn its adherents into modern day Jesus' or something not dissimilar. I was hoping that the compassion was something that is offered but not sought after--again, from an enlightened perspective, not some layperson or monk under stream-entry status who just feels a compulsive need to earn merit while telling those he's helping that merit is against Buddhism's tenets.
  • There is no person to be saved, no messiah to do the saving. Nowhere to go, no merit to gain.
  • One isn't attached to compassion, one acts compassionately spontaneously. And one isn't attached to the outcome of one's compassionate actions.
    It's not neurotic, it's not a complex. It's a spontaneous and very natural wish to end or alleviate the suffering of others.
  • edited February 2011
    Compassion is a naturally arising pure human emotion that manifests itself when the neurotic influence of grasping begins to lift. If one works toward freeing oneself of the neurotic influence of grasping, then compassion arises naturally.

My father used to refer to certain negative patterns as "hitting yourself over the head with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop." If one stops hitting themself over the head with the hammer of neurotic grasping, pure tendencies arise.

Just that simple.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Joshua -- I don't know if it will make much empirical sense, but it helps to stop imagining compassion as being really, really nice. It may be easier to think of it, for the moment, as simply the way things are. True, it's nice to be nice. The social wheels turn more smoothly. And you can win Boy Scout and other badges of recognition. Nice beats the hell out of the alternative. But is that compassion? Maybe in a college classroom where people spend their time reading about and discussing Buddhism.

In practice, I think what is called "compassion" is just what turns out to be true. It is just what works. And it isn't always kissy-face nice.

So if the question really gets under your skin, I suggest you keep on doing your preferred practice. Don't worry about compassion. And don't stop practicing until you have an answer that satisfies you. I simply cannot think of another empirical path that makes much sense.

But that's just my take.

edited February 2011
    Joshua

Personally, I believe in orthodox Buddhism for myself. What this means is the EFFORT for ending one's suffering or solving one's problems principly comes from the seeker rather than the teacher. The teacher simply imparts method for the seeker to apply themselves. This is the orthodox position of the Buddha, who said: "I only point the way, you must walk the way".

As for Mahayana & Vajrayana, imo, it is a different way. I sense the Mahayana ideals are not often lived up to because they are difficult to actualise.

However, there are occassions when one sits in the presence of a guru or teacher and the manner of their voice melts away the burdens & sufferings of their audience.

For me, this level of cultivation of parami is the fruition of the Mahayana & Vajrayana paths.

I think only few individuals can reach this level of compassion.

Kind regards

edited February 2011
    Then how could there be a dichotomy between compassion and renunciation? Seeing cessation firsthand, would one not find also compassion?
    Greetings Revkusala

In my experience, when I began to practise, renunciation formed to basis of practise. Afterwards, compassion manifested itself naturally when my mind felt very satisfied with the fruits of practise & naturally wished to share those fruits.

So, I think, at times, there can be a time lag between renunciation & compassion.

Warm regards

• And it isn't always kissy-face nice.
    LOL!!

• In Buddhism the notion of emptiness is extremely important. Emptiness is referring to the lack of essence. Essence is a permanent, single, unchanging, inherent quality. Since things are subject to change, they lack essences, thus are empty.

If things are empty they can change. If one understands emptiness then compassion will automatically arise. The only way for me to want you to suffer is through negative thinking. There's really three ways you can go... from here. You can be angry (I want you to suffer), jealous (your suffering makes me happy), or ignorant (your suffering has nothing to do with me). These three things will prevent you from being compassionate (I want the causes and conditions of your suffering to end). All of your understanding of emptiness will automatically arise compassion. Suffering is empty. Suffering is dependent on causes and conditions. If one understands the causes and conditions one can change the suffering. Basically if one reduces their negative thinking (anger, jealously, and ignorance) and understands emptiness then compassion will automatically arise.

Hope this helps. Much love.
  • It is not neurotic, an enlightened being simply cannot be sad because he sees the world for what it is. Because they can see the world for what it is, they do not suffer, and the only thing left when suffering is gone is happiness. They realize we are all a part of each other, and to harm another is to harm yourself. Most of this has already been said, and I wanted to keep it simple. I hope everyone's advice helps.
  • I think there are semantical differences between an enlightened happiness and regular happiness that often gets overlooked.

I think there are semantical differences between karuna and compassion.

I think the pluralities do paint a picture of a messianic enlightened person, for example the entire Mahayanist branch. However, pluralities and orthodoxy rarely go hand in hand. Without a personal master how ought I sift through the bullshit? You'll notice the many I's I've written, directly proportional to how muddied my views often are.

The Gelugpas have shown me that everything can be demonstrated with logic in at least a Prasangikin style. This is why I'm looking for some ontological argument or an otherwise reductio ad absurdum anecdote. It is to help others which also demands that I get my own ducks in a line. The sorts I communicate with are typically rigorously methodical, the "that's the way it is" philosophy won't cut it.

I said some lead armies, even when they've the potential to love whereas some don't. This is an important topic for those with the potential.
    edited February 2011
    Basically if one reduces their negative thinking (anger, jealously, and ignorance) and understands emptiness then compassion will automatically arise.
    This is true. When compassion is applied to one's own life, in ending suffering & realising emptiness, then one's mind will embody compassion.

However, the problem with this kind of compassion is it often does not have a "home" because the solution of emptiness to "our" former problems may not be the solution for the problems of others.

If the mind does not have EMPATHY, it if does not understand the ordinary problems of ordinary people & the world, then the compassion arising from emptiness may not have a home. It wishes to help others but cannot truely empathise with others. Instead, it only knows emptiness as the solution to ills but emptiness may not be the appropriate solution to everyday problems.

Kind regards

• Don't all problems come from a sense of ego? If the ego is empty then isn't the problem empty as well? If one loves comes out of emptiness isn't it selfless? It has no conditions. It does what it has to do. Just love. Not love in the sense to solves problems. You can't solve everyones problems, you can only do the best you can do. So if someone comes and needs food, you feed them because there is no separation between them and you. Everyone is you. Everyone is empty.

Compassion needs no home. Compassion needs no conditions.

When you see everyone as empty. Naturally compassion arises. You do what is most obvious in that situation. Whether you help them or not.

With love.
  • Instead of doing compassionate acts. Be a compassion person. Then the doing will come naturally.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Compassion is not a selfish mind for it places others above oneself, considers their own welfare. How could a compassionate one become liberated and choose not to help others ?
  • Compassion is not a selfish mind for it places others above oneself, considers their own welfare. How could a compassionate one become liberated and choose not to help others ?
    To play devils advocate:
    One could become enlightened and realize that everyone is already doing their own thing to wake up to enlightenment.
    If people want to sleep, let them. Who am I to wake people up from their sleep? Though I can point the way to enlightenment, they have to do the walking and seeking.

You could call this a Pratyekabuddha. Why teach? They are going to wake up sooner or later.

Thought I personally don't agree with the Pratyekabuddha, I understand their view point. To them the most compassion thing you can do is to let them be.

I like the bodhisattva's way! Save all beings a million times a million. Keep saving.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    But an enlightened being would realise that not everybody IS already doing their own thing, because people are clinging to ignorant concepts. Compassion teaches.

If people are sleeping, consider they're sleeping at the wheel. Is it not wiser to wake them up? How can they follow your pointing the way to enlightenment, if they are 'sleeping' in ignorance?
    The most compassionate thing you can do is give them the map. But they need to be taught how to read it.
    The Buddha was persuaded to share his discovery with others. initially, he wasn't intending to.
    Would we be having this discussion now, if he hadn't?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Without compassion there is no wisdom. Without wisdom there is no compassion.

If you slowly start to see the emptiness of your ego (wisdom), it's only logical you are more kind to others (compassion).

So an enlightened being does not see himself distinct from any others and just has no choice. He has to be compassionate. This is not an attachment, this is due to a non-attachment to the self. Now however he chooses to act on this compassion may be depending on his personal experiences and culture etc, I don't know.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited February 2011

If people are sleeping, consider they're sleeping at the wheel. Is it not wiser to wake them up? How can they follow your pointing the way to enlightenment, if they are 'sleeping' in ignorance?
    Waking up is a bit too rude, I think. Now I don't know the suttas very well, but I don't think the Buddha went up to his friends and said: Stop what you are doing now! You have to believe this what I've found.

If you try to 'force' other people to follow the path, you aren't reaching anything. You can only show the way, give them a slight push in the right direction. To people who totally aren't into Buddhism the best thing to do is just be kind and not talk about it if they don't ask because it will just scare them off.

That's also why you will never see an enlightened being advertising Buddhism like for example some churches do.
    edited February 2011
    Don't all problems come from a sense of ego?
    The answer to your question is "no".

All problems come from ignorance or not-knowing.

Not all human beings with problems are looking for emptiness.

For example, a simple browse of this chatsite sees folks with work problems, family problems, relationship problems, drug problems, etc.

Generally, the way to fix these problems is unrelated to ego & emptiness.

Many people are simply searching for skilful means. These skilful means are on the level of morality or skilful karma rather than emptiness.

Kind regards

• If you try to 'force' other people to follow the path, you aren't reaching anything.
    I didn't see anything in the quoted text that suggests forcing anyone to do anything; the waking up comment was an analogy, not a literal command.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited February 2011
    If you try to 'force' other people to follow the path, you aren't reaching anything.
    I didn't see anything in the quoted text that suggests forcing anyone to do anything; the waking up comment was an analogy, not a literal command.
    Ok, the reply gave me another feeling. These kind of things are always hard to judge over the internet where you can't send emotions or body language across :)

It was not my intention to go against anybody in particular, just pointing out my view on things.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Waking up is a bit too rude, I think.
    I'd rather be rude to someone by waking them at the wheel, than thinking, "oh dear, perhaps that would be uncalled for...."
    Now I don't know the suttas very well, but I don't think the Buddha went up to his friends and said: Stop what you are doing now! You have to believe this what I've found.
    No of course not. In fact, he had to be persuaded to teach the Dhamma.
    And nowhere did I suggest in my post that such instruction should be forced upon people. But I did mention the wisdom of indicating a better way. Even in indication, someone has a choice of whether to listen or not.
    If you try to 'force' other people to follow the path, you aren't reaching anything. You can only show the way, give them a slight push in the right direction.
    Which is precisely what I was saying.
    To people who totally aren't into Buddhism the best thing to do is just be kind and not talk about it if they don't ask because it will just scare them off.

That's also why you will never see an enlightened being advertising Buddhism like for example some churches do.
    Best leave the church out of this discussion.
    We really don't want to be dragged off topic, do we. ;)

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Then I misinterpreted your post. :)
    Communication without actually hearing and seeing someone has always been hard for me to be honest.
    By the way, I'm waving at you. :D
  • :clap:
  • The sorts I communicate with are typically rigorously methodical, the "that's the way it is" philosophy won't cut it.
    If compassion doesn't make sense, i.e. you don't understand why it is important. Perhaps we can ask ourselves - If you do not wish to display or act out of compassion, what would you rather do?

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited February 2011
    ""Come, Kalamas. Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing; nor upon tradition; nor upon rumor; nor upon what is in a scripture; nor upon surmise; nor upon an axiom; nor upon specious reasoning; nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over; nor upon another's seeming ability; nor upon the consideration, 'The monk is our teacher.' Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them.

What it seems is not what it actually is. What reason is there to not enter in and abide in compassion? Specious reasoning? Specious: apparently correct or true, but actually wrong or false.

If a baby falls down and hurts itself and starts crying, do you just walk past it and not help it up or comfort it? If you do help it up and comfort it so it stops crying, does that mean you have unnecessary attachment? I don't see how that can be the case. The natural response of any normal human being is to help the baby. Why, because of empathy for the baby's suffering. Another reason is because there is no reason to just walk past it. Are you saying that it is unnecessary to help the baby? You could argue that in the sense of ultimate emptiness, etc. However, even still, that not a reason to just walk past it.
  • seeker, this isn't for me. It's to help others, mostly atheists who rationalize the ego and conceit. I don't understand how the kalama sutta is going to wake them up. I didn't say I was proselytizing with Buddhism but rather with the logic of compassion.

Thank you everybody.
  • Hello,

I understand how Buddhism leads to a refined happiness, though it seems here that happiness is without many of the semantical parallels one would expect. It then follows that one would be without jealousy, greed and all the other forms of attachment. It, however, seems that compassion is a form of attachment and is also itself quite relative in the network of samsara. It doesn't follow that an enlightened being ought to have a (my own words here) neurotic drive to be compassionate, it seems rather that an enlightened being should be completely apathetic in absolute terms. Yet something tells me intuitively that compassion is right, but I cannot pinpoint it methodologically. I've asked myself this question before and I've been asked this question before from a variety of abolutist or nihilistic perspectives. It seems now that I've a bridge to cross, or a river if I'm to be proverbial, and this question has become very urgent.

Can anybody help?
    Seeing inter-dependence directly, even through logical analysis reveals everyones interconnection. Experiencing this insight directly will result in natural compassionate insight.
  • Joshua, here is my take on your original question:

From the faith I've developed through my own experiences, I've learned that compassion is not an attachment or something that I strive for. It's just there when I have really let go of every other thing that I attach to in order to protect my self. When I can embrace nonself and impermanence, then compassion is naturally there. This leads me to believe that compassion and love are the core of our nature. Not human nature, but the nature that creates all that we see.

Compassion is never something I could strive to attain. If I tried to be compassionate, it was fake. Only after letting go of other clingings and attachments have I opened up, quite naturally, to reveal that my deepest core truly does care about others and about us as a whole.

I am sorry if this isn't an answer that will help you scientifically defend or oppose anything. The biggest liberation for me is learning that while it's nice to embrace other perspectives, religious and philosophical debate are almost completely worthless in my life. I love gaining insight from others' ideas, however when dealing with my spirituality, I have never found much outside of myself that kept me on a path that feels right. This was all found within, as part of the compassionate nature that has created this body. It really doesn't matter if someone thinks that your views aren't logical. It only matters how you think of your own views, friend.
  • Thank you for that.

That's something I've been finding too, though not so much as you. I struggle with conceit too much to be truly compassionate. Some days are glorious and Buddhism springs forth like a blossoming Corpse flower only to disappear as fast as it came.

It seems true that only some have the capacity to experiment with compassion while most preach empiricism in the west, for some odd reason nobody ever wants to be an empiricist. Why though must they believe they are?

As you can see, the flower isn't even close to blossoming this week.
  • I struggle with conceit too much to be truly compassionate. Some days are glorious and Buddhism springs forth like a blossoming Corpse flower only to disappear as fast as it came...

As you can see, the flower isn't even close to blossoming this week.
    It's interesting and actually charming on your part that you bring this up and put the issue in perspective this way, and I'll try to be as respectful as possible. I thought I had given you the "reductio ad absurdum" argument you requested.

Let me be as clear as I can: I think this reductio ad absurdum argument truly is the only methodologically sound argument that can be made for the arising of compassion in this context. That is, remove obscurations, such as conceit, and compassion arises naturally. This is, for example, why Buddhist striving is often described with metaphors such as cleaning a dirty mirror or finding the wish-fulfilling gem in a trash-heap. People drink and eat, therefore they urinate and defecate. It's that basic. People remove obscurations such as incorrect view of self, and compassion arises naturally. Or, to repeat myself, as my father said, "it's like hitting yourself over the head with a hammer because it feels so good when you stop". That is your "reductio ad absurdum".

It's just that easy, and the methodology for arriving at that conclusion is sound.

• I wonder if the real problem is seeing compassion as equivalent to true altruism i.e. doing things for others without any positive results to yourself.

IMHO this is a view that comes from a lot of Christian traditions, which teach that taking pleasure in something is sinful, even if that thing you're taking pleasure in is being nice to people!

Compassion is the natural tendency of human beings, because fundamentally, there is no difference between them and us, you and me: we are all connected. Hence, there is no difference between wanting to end our personal suffering, and wanting to relieve the suffering of others. And when we do good to others and feel pleasure, that is fine. Compassion isn't something that should make us feel bad! And feeling proud of doing good doesn't take away from the compassion - although the more compassion we feel, and the less ego, the greater the benefit of that compassion.

Watch a little child show compassion. Like the child who gave my dog a flower to make him happy (the dog sniffed the flower, curiously, which the child took to be a sign of appreciation). Little kids don't have any ego about it. They don't agonise about whether they are doing it for the right reasons, they just do it, unselfconsciously. That child wanted to make my dog happy because he wanted to make my dog happy - simple as that. And it worked, because my dog loves attention, even if he wouldn't know what to do with a flower that wasn't edible.

Imagine if we could show compassion that easily and that lacking in Self? It's a wonderful, life-enriching thing. If you want to see the true nature of things, there is it. So when a Buddha becomes enlightened he becomes truly compassionate.

What stops us from being compassionate? Fear of being thought strange, fear of other people, of being taken advantage of, of the other person rejecting our kindness and making us feel bad, fear of being vulnerable... this is all Ego, Self protecting its existence. True compassion knows no fear and no emotional self-preservation, it is Enlightenment.

It makes me sad to read of people who feel that compassion is somehow a separate issue to Enlightenment. It makes me sadder still to hear of people avoiding compassion, going into their shells, regarding others as a hindrance to their spiritual progress, or even outright rejecting others. Rejecting other people, being un-compassionate towards them is rather like rejecting your own arm! (which is not to say there is anything wrong with people living alone, just don't do so out of aversion to others).

The Buddha Shakyamuni showed us by example, because when he realised Nirvanna, under the Bodhi tree, he didn't stay there in Bliss, enjoying himself forever. He got up and went to teach the people what he had learned and tried to show them the way to Enlightenment too. He wrote scriptures and passed teachings on to his disciples so that thousands of years later, we still have the opportunity to know the Dharma.

No one can be truly happy, even a Buddha, when others suffer.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I like these ideas being presented.

Could you say that because we are all so co-dependently and symbiotically arisen on account of ultimately sharing the same unified, common universal karma (ctrl + f 'big bang') that one person's samskaric impulses impute the universe much like the manipulation of a Hoberman sphere?
  • edited February 2011
    I like these ideas being presented.

Could you say that because we are all so co-dependently and symbiotically arisen on account of ultimately sharing the same unified, common universal karma (ctrl + f 'big bang') that one person's samskaric impulses impute the universe much like the manipulation of a Hoberman sphere?
    Συμπαθώ αυτές τις ιδέες που παρουσιάζονται. Θα μπορούσατε να πείτε ότι επειδή μας όλοι έτσι ομο-εξαρτημένα και symbiotically προκύπτουν εξ αιτίας τελικά να μοιραστούμε το ίδιο πράγμα που ενοποιείται, κοινό καθολικό karma (CTRL + φ ' μεγάλο bang') εκείνο το ένα person' οι samskaric ωθήσεις του s καταλογίζουν τον κόσμο σαν το χειρισμό μιας σφαίρας Hoberman?

It's all Greek to me...
  • Αρκετά έξυπνος, ε?

Thank you for the elucidation, Sherab, if you have nothing helpful to post then why?
  • Because I think you're making it a whole lot more complicated than it is.