Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Isn't the first of the four noble truths just obvious?

Comments

• What is true happiness? To be utterly contented with what you have.
    How do I get this? Be free of all wants and desires.
    And how do you get that?

P
    Virtue, concentration and wisdom

• edited March 2011
    According to the Theravada texts the First Truth is to be "understood". Not to be "believed in" , not to be "acknowledged", not to be "seen" or "witnessed to".

To "understand" fully would be to reach the "end of suffering", therefore I make no claim at full understanding, and the implication is also there that I MISunderstand.

But as I understand it, suffering is not one side of the coin, of which pleasure is the other. The "First Truth" is not seeking to point out that certain "things" exist that either are suffering itself or will lead to suffering. It is in fact saying that life in its totality IS suffering (i.e. the unenlightened life)

That living from the hub of a "self" that sees some things as suffering and others as pleasure, and seeking less of the one and more of the other.......this WHOLE way of living and seeking IS suffering.

Which leads, in various unfoldings of the dharma, to such words as "if you wish to know the truth only cease to cherish opinions". And more broadly, to the words of the Christian mystic Meister Eckhart......"They can truly enjoy the feast who would just as willingly fast."

What lies in between is our own unique path, called "practice".

• That suffering exists. Or, as the Dalai Lama puts it in the book "The Four Noble Truths" "...we have suffering". That, to me, is obvious.
    Ok, let's keep this simple between you and me and leave the Dalai Lama and Wittgenstein out of it.

You say that the existence of suffering is obvious to you. Are you talking about the suffering of other people hit by earthquakes in Japan, crushed in revolutions against dictators in Africa and the Middle-East, oppressed by poverty in India, or are you referring to your own personal painful experience of life?

There are people to whom suffering does not exist, let alone obvious. I don't mean to say that they are not aware of suffering. It is just that they don't have any hang up about it. To them, it's no big deal.

• Suffering will happen to everybody sooner or later. It's best to recognize that and prepare for it.

So unless a person is already enlightened (or just completely oblivious), they need to prepare for the inevitability of suffering.
  • What, to you, is preparation for the inevitability of suffering? Are you talking about Japanese kamikazi pilots who prepared for their suicide bombing missions against the American Navy?

• Recognition of the 4NT and following the 8FP. It's going to happen sooner or later. We have the fortunate human existence in a time that the Dharma is being actively taught by accomplished people.

Everybody eventually gets sick and dies. Nobody can deny that. Why die unprepared?

For people who don't want to recognize this, that's their problem. I'm not going to try to make anybody recognize anything. If people accept it, they do. If they don't, they don't.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    You've asserted that only sankkhara-dukkhata is real dukkha, but I don't know what this claim is based on, and you haven't provided any evidence from the sutttas to support this idea. And what exactly is "bizarre" about Thanissaro's translation here?
    What is bizarre? The word "dukkha" only means "stress" when it is sankkhara-dukkhata, which is psychological dukkha, like you asked about on dhammawheel.com

The word "sankhara" here is related to sankhara khanda, which means to think, to mental concoct, to mentality proliferate, to become via thought.

Where as "dukkha-dukkha"means "pain" and "viparinama-dukkha" means "unsatisfactoriness". All good translators who understand the dhamma, unlike Thanissaro, use the word "unsatisfactoriness" for the 2nd characteristic of annica, dukkha & anatta.

When the Buddha experienced dukkha-dukkha and viparinama-dukkha, his mind did not experience "stress". In fact, from the experience of viparinama-dukkha, the Buddha's mind experienced enlightenment & the end of the mental effluents (asava).

As I said, the Buddha said if you understand sankkhara-dukkhata, you understand everything. To the contrary, if you do not understand sankkhara-dukkhata, you understand nothing.

Please practise for the purpose of seeing

With metta
    'Even though I may be afflicted in body, my mind will be unafflicted.' That is how you should train yourself. (Nakulapita Sutta)

But when the Blessed One had entered upon the rainy season, there arose in him a severe illness, and sharp and deadly pains came upon him. And the Blessed One endured them mindfully, clearly comprehending and unperturbed. (Maha-parinibbana Sutta)

And what is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to the ending of the effluents? There is the case where a monk remains focused on arising & falling away with reference to the five clinging-aggregates: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its passing away. Such is feeling, such its origination, such its passing away. Such is perception, such its origination, such its passing away. Such are fabrications, such their origination, such their passing away. Such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.' This is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to the ending of the effluents. (Samadhi Sutta)

Venerable sir, how in brief is a bhikkhu liberated in the destruction of craving?

Here, ruler of gods, a bhikkhu has heard that nothing is worth clinging to. When a bhikkhu has heard that nothing is worth clinging to, he directly knows everything; having directly known everything, he fully understands everything; having directly known everything, he fully understood everything, whatever feeling he feels, whether pleasant or painful or neither pleasant or painful, he abides contemplating (observing) impermanence in those feelings, contemplating (observing) fading away, contemplating (observing) cessation, contemplating (observing) relinquishment (letting go). Contemplating (observing) thus, he does not cling (with sankhara khanda) to anything in the world. When he does not cling (think about), he is not agitated, he personally attains Nibbana. He understands: ‘Birth is destroyed, the holy life has been lived, there is no more coming to any state of being.’ Briefly, it is in this way, ruler of gods, that a bhikkhu is liberated in the destruction of craving, one who has reached the ultimate end, the ultimate security from bondage, the ultimate holy life, the ultimate goal, one who is foremost among gods and humans. (Culatanhasankhaya Sutta)

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books9/Bhikkhu_Bodhi_Culatanhasankhaya_Sutta.htm

edited March 2011
    Sutta references to dukkha including birth, ageing and death, eg here in SN 56.11:

"Now this, monks, is the Noble Truth of dukkha: Birth is dukkha, aging is dukkha, death is dukkha; sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, & despair are dukkha; association with the unbeloved is dukkha; separation from the loved is dukkha; not getting what is wanted is dukkha. In short, the five clinging-aggregates are dukkha."

But is it the experience of birth, ageing and death which is dukkha, or is it the fear and aversion towards them which is dukkha? From the second Noble Truth we know that dukkha is caused by tanha, craving or attachment to desire, which sounds psychological. And we know from DO that the root cause of dukkha is ignorance, again this seems to be a psychological property.

Your thoughts?
    Hi

Regarding your post above on Dhammawheel, my answer is posted below.

My view is it is the ignorance & craving towards birth, ageing and death which causes dukkha.

To be more accurate, as the Buddha advised in the 1st Noble, it is attachment (upadana) to birth, ageing and death as "my birth", "my ageing" and "my death" which is dukkha.

When the Buddha advised in the 1st Noble: "IN SUMMARY, attachment to the five aggregates is dukkha", he dismissed the ordinary idea that birth, ageing and death were dukkha.

This we can confirm by analysising the suttas. For example, the Nakulapita Sutta could not be anymore unambiguous about this matter or truth.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.001.than.html

However, it is best to confirm this through practise & insight.

We must see only attachment is dukkha. In the Culatanhasankhaya Sutta, the Buddha advised to understand this is to understand everything.

Best wishes

DD :)
    hi

i view the 1st Noble Truth as a gradual teaching & as a diagnosis

for me, it begins with listing those experiences that are ordinarily taken to be suffering by the ordinary person, such as giving birth to children [painful, dangerous], sickness, aging, death, sorrow, pain, etc, separation from the loved, not getting what one wants, etc

this is the same as when an ordinary person goes to a doctor to report their illness. they say to the doctor: "i have pain here, burning here, etc". the doctor, who is enlightened about medicine, says to the ordinary person: "you suffer from xmiximitosis"

the Buddha was the same. As the enlightened spiritual doctor, he said: "in summary, you suffer from clinging to the five aggregates as 'I' and 'mine'..."

edited March 2011
    According to the Theravada texts the First Truth is to be "understood". Not to be "believed in" , not to be "acknowledged", not to be "seen" or "witnessed to".

To "understand" fully would be to reach the "end of suffering"...
    hi tariki

i am not sure what you are trying to say in your post

the First Truth is to be seen, to be witnessed, to be comprehended

in India, in the Ajunta Caves, there is a stone carving of four deer with one head

this means when one truth is seen the others are seen

the Four Noble Truths are really just one truth

the 1st truth is the truth of attachment, of self-view

when the suffering of attachment is comprehended, then the way to end suffering via non-attachment will be comprehended

ok

DD :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

edited March 2011
    Which leads, in various unfoldings of the dharma, to such words as "if you wish to know the truth only cease to cherish opinions". And more broadly, to the words of the Christian mystic Meister Eckhart......"They can truly enjoy the feast who would just as willingly fast."
    The Lord Buddha was the perfect speaker. But now, our level of understanding & enlightenment is not in tune with the Buddha's words.

Our mind suffers from resistence due to personal clinging & other forms of cherishing.

The Hsing Hsing Ming's "cease to cherish opinions" is instruction for setting out on the path. This advice should be highly regarded & practised.

Meister Eckhart's "willingly fast" is even more basic.

But the Buddha's First Noble Truth is the diagnosis of suffering according to reality, such as E = MC2.

The Buddha did not teach mysticism. It is our mind that still does not comprehend the Buddha.

All the best

:)

• edited March 2011
    dhamma dhatu,

We shall have to disagree.

The two quotes are no more about the beginning than the end, or even the middle, yet I agree they have nothing to do with mysticism.

I spoke of our own unique path.

To "understand" fully would be to reach the "end of suffering"........as you say, the Four Noble Truths are just one truth. Again we agree here.

However. the main point was as said, the first truth is to be "understood". For me, again as said, to understand it is NOT to look upon "suffering" as one aspect of a larger reality......one side of a duality. Perhaps I was unclear.

All the best
  • Just as a follow up. The Four Truths.

The First, to be understood.
    The Second, to be abandoned.
    The Third, to be realized.
    The fourth, to be developed/cultivated.

From the First Discourse of the Buddha.
    edited March 2011
    To "understand" fully would be to reach the "end of suffering"........one side of a duality. Perhaps I was unclear.
    No.

The word "fully" does not apply.

Attachment is to be comprehended and suffering will end to the degree of the comprehension.

As for your discussion of "duality", this is irrelvent.

Your posts here are probably as irrelevent to the thread as my posts are on the Bodhidharma thread.

I suppose I can agree with you on that matter.

:lol:
    edited March 2011
    Just as a follow up. The Four Truths.

The First, to be understood.
    The Second, to be abandoned.
    The Third, to be realized.
    The fourth, to be developed/cultivated.

From the First Discourse of the Buddha.
    The First, to be comprehended, with direct insight.

Best you stick to the Mahayana Advaita Non-Duality One Permanent Mind God Consciousness.

;)
  • So we disagree.

• The First, to be comprehended.

Best you stick to the Mahayana Advaita Non-Duality One Permanent Mind God Consciousness.

;)
    As the bard once sang so eloquently, "Most likely your'll go your way and I'll go mine"

But thank you for offering your own comprehension.

edited March 2011
    No.

You disagree with the Dhamma, not with "me".

It is "you" versus the Lord Buddha.

• Again, thank you for your "view", for your comprehension.

Thats the end.

All the best
    edited March 2011
    No.

It is not the end.

For example, if you bite into a piece of rotten fruit, you immediately spit it out of your mouth.

The Four Truths are the same.

When suffering is comprehended, it is abandoned; when abandoned, the end of suffering & the path is realised & practised.

All the best

edited March 2011
    Pariññeyya

Pariññeyya (adj.) [grd. of parijānāti] knowable, perceivable, to be known (accurately) M i.4; S iii.26; iv.29; DhA iv.233 (cp. Nd2 under abhiññeyya).

Katamañca, bhikkhave, ariyasaccaṃ pariññeyyaṃ?

Bhikkhus, what is the noble truth that is to be fully understood?

Dukkhaṃ, bhikkhave, ariyasaccaṃ pariññeyyaṃ.

The noble truth of suffering is to be fully understood.

SN 56.26
    But "fully" here is not the same as your "fully".

Fully here is the fully of an enlightened being, being it stream enterer or arahant.

It is fully seen, understood & witnessed with direct insight that attachment (upadana) is suffering.

edited March 2011
    In other words, if our mind is suffering and we phone a friend or counsellor to talk about our suffering, suffering is not yet fully understood.

If we are suffering and due to our experience of suffering we decide to take refuge in Buddhism, suffering is not yet fully understood.

Doctors, for example, fully understand certain diseases. In their full understanding, they create medicines. When the medicine is taken, it cures the disease.

The Four Noble Truths are the same. When suffering is fully understood, its causes will be abandoned, the path will be practised and its cessation will be realised.

The Four Noble Truths are the scientific teachings of Fully Enlightened Buddhas and not mystics whose minds dwell in the Cloud of Unknowing.

• The Four Noble Truths are the scientific teachings of Fully Enlightened Buddhas and not mystics whose minds dwell in the Cloud of Unknowing.
  • edited March 2011
    Although science is not yet wisdom, the noble truths are indeed scientific, hard to disapprove with, leading to knowledge and wisdom. :coffee:
  • 1.....To "understand" fully would be to reach the "end of suffering"....

2.....When suffering is fully understood, its causes will be abandoned, the path will be practised and its cessation will be realised.

One the words of misunderstanding, of mysticism, a dwelling in a cloud of unknowing.........another the "scientific comrehension" of the Buddha's words.

Bless you all. Now I know again just why once I left Buddhist forums well behind!

All the best

:cool:
  • Really wasn't worth saying once, let alone twice.....!!

:screwy:

Still, all the best and goodbye!
  • edited March 2011
    another the "scientific comrehension" of the Buddha's words. Now I know again just why once I left Buddhist forums well behind! Really wasn't worth saying once, let alone twice.....!!

Indeed. Replace 'scientific' with 'direct experience'. Confusion shall end!
  • tariki is a different sn than taiyaki.
  • how thoughtless of me

i do recall praising taiyaki to so many

when taiyaki first came here, taiyaki negotiated through my onslaught with grace

i said: "that is the first I have ever witnessed"

bone fide taiyaki

as for my ignorant self, i request taiyaki's forgiveness

edited March 2011
    But as I understand it, suffering is not one side of the coin, of which pleasure is the other. The "First Truth" is not seeking to point out that certain "things" exist that either are suffering itself or will lead to suffering. It is in fact saying that life in its totality IS suffering (i.e. the unenlightened life)

That living from the hub of a "self" that sees some things as suffering and others as pleasure, and seeking less of the one and more of the other.......this WHOLE way of living and seeking IS suffering.
    hi tariki

i may have misread some of what you said, as my mind had formed an opinion of your view

but i cannot agree with what you have said above

your interpretation of the 1st truth above is too cosmic, too all embracing

The "First Truth" is seeking to point out that certain "things" exist that either are suffering itself or will lead to suffering. It IS NOT in fact saying that life in its totality IS suffering

I can only recommend you read the First Truth literally, as spoken by the Buddha and not according to pre-conceived notions accumulated from various teachers

Everything in the 1st truth are exclusive states of suffering. The Buddha did not say in the 1st truth "pleasure, happiness, virtue, wisdom or peaceful mental states were suffering"

As for "birth", the Buddha was referring to giving birth to children, which is suffering, painful

However, that all conditioned things are "unsatisfactory" due to impermanence, yes, the Buddha taught this, but not in the 1st noble truth

Kind regards

• upekkaupekka Veteran

As for "birth", the Buddha was referring to giving birth to children, which is suffering, painful

don't you think that 'arising five skandha is suffering' means 'birth is suffering'?

edited March 2011
    hi

for me, when the buddha first taught, he meant physical birth

but later, after expounding dependent origination, the definition of birth there included "acquisition of the five aggregates", i.e., taking possession or appropriating

for me, there are different meanings of the word 'birth'

in the Devaduta Sutta, Buddha describes birth as an new born infant rolling & soiled in its excrement

in MN 141, Sariputta expounds the 4NT with detailed explanation and used the Dependent Origination meaning in birth

but still, the "appearaance" & "obtaining" of the aggregates can be from a mother's womb

the word "birth" in Buddhism has so many meanings

for example, in his Viddhimagga, Buddhaghosa said birth (jati) can mean: "becoming", "clan", "child birth", "rebirth", "social class", etc, dependent on the context

so in the 1st noble truth, for me, the Buddha lists the physical kinds of suffering as birth, aging, sickness & death

kind regards

• The Buddha said that rich or poor, young or old, human or animal, no being in this world can maintain itself in any single state for long. Everything experiences change and deprivation. this is a fact of life about which we can do nothing to remedy. But the Buddha said that what we can do is to contemplate the body and mind to see their impersonality, that neither of them is "me" nor "mine." They have only a provisional reality. It's like this house, it's only nominally yours. You couldn't take it with you anywhere. The same applies to your wealth, your possessions and your family -- they're yours only in name. they don't really belong to you, they belong to nature.

Now this truth doesn't apply to you alone, everyone is in the same boat -- even the Lord Buddha and his enlightened disciples. They differed from us only in one respect, and that was their acceptance of the way things are. They saw that it could be no other way.

Our Real Home
    Aj Chah

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/chah/bl111.html
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @pegembara, Well said. :)
  • The householder Anathapindika became sick a third time with very strong pains which were getting worse and not easing. Again Anathapindika asked Venerable Sariputta and Venerable Ananda for assistance. When Venerable Sariputta saw him, he knew that Anathapindika was nearing death, and gave him the following instructions:

He should practice freeing himself from clinging to the six sense faculties and not attach his thoughts to them; secondly, he should practice releasing himself from dependence on the six objects and not attach his thoughts to them either. Thirdly, he should stop clinging to the connecting link between the six senses and the six sense objects, as well as to the six sense contacts, the six feelings, the six elements, the five aggregates and the four formless realms, as well as to all that is seen, heard, thought, perceived, and investigated in the mind.

Anathapindika must have followed this detailed presentation with his heart so that even as he was listening, he was already practicing in the way the wise and holy Venerable Sariputta had instructed him. At the end of the instructions, tears came to Anathapindika's eyes. The Venerable Ananda turned to him compassionately and asked him to calm himself and be at peace. But Anathapindika replied: "I cannot calm myself and be at peace, O worthy Ananda. I have served the Master and the spiritually accomplished monks for a long time, and yet I have never heard such a profound discourse."

Then Venerable Sariputta said: "Such profound talk, O householder, will not be clear enough for white-clad lay followers; it is clear enough for ascetics."

Anathapindika answered: "Venerable Sariputta, let such talks on the Dhamma be given to white-clad laity, too. There are those with just a little dust on their eyes. If they don't hear such teachings, they will be lost. Some may be able to understand."

The difference from the previously presented teaching of the Buddha is significant. Here we are concerned with ultimate questions, with the highest deliverance, not just on a theoretical basis but as practice. Anathapindika was aware, as a disciple who possessed the fruit of stream-entry, of the transitory nature the five aggregates of clinging, and he himself had expressed the fact that he knew the three characteristics of existence: impermanence, suffering, and non-self. But there is a great difference as to whether one merely hears these things and ponders them, or whether one actually practices and applies their relevance to oneself. In this distinction lies the essential difference between the methods the Buddha used to teach householders and he used to teach monks.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/hecker/wheel334.html
  • When Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva was practicing the profound prajna paramita, he illuminated the five skandhas and saw that they are all empty, and he crossed beyond all suffering and difficulty.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

When the Buddha advised in the 1st Noble: "IN SUMMARY, attachment to the five aggregates is dukkha", he dismissed the ordinary idea that birth, ageing and death were dukkha.

This we can confirm by analysising the suttas. For example, the Nakulapita Sutta could not be anymore unambiguous about this matter or truth.
    I don't follow your logic. I agree that the Buddha summarised dukkha as clinging to the 5 aggregates ( the 5 aggregates "subject to clinging" ) and that this is confirmed by the Nakulapita Sutta. But I can't see any evidence of the Buddha dismissing the idea that birth, ageing and death are dukkha. A summary is inclusive of what goes before, not exclusive.

P

P
    When the Buddha experienced dukkha-dukkha and viparinama-dukkha, his mind did not experience "stress". As I said, the Buddha said if you understand sankkhara-dukkhata, you understand everything. To the contrary, if you do not understand sankkhara-dukkhata, you understand nothing.
    Again I don't understand your logic. Dukkha-dukkha and viparinama-dukkha are clearly types of dukkha, otherwise they wouldn't both have the suffix "dukkha".

P
    All good translators who understand the dhamma, unlike Thanissaro, use the word "unsatisfactoriness" for the 2nd characteristic of annica, dukkha & anatta.

By "good translators" I assume you mean those who agreee with your interpretation.

P
  • Well, though suffering may be obvious, understanding suffering is not... As Ajahn Sumedho says, every noble truth has "the statement;the wish to understand it; the satisfaction of understanding it" these 3 insights with them... So when you think about what suffering actually is, it is not the problems in the world... It is not the problems in our bodies.. It is not the problems in others.. It actually is just our mental reaction to the impermanence of the world.. IMHO, this is a very tough thing to completely REALISE.....

Love And Light,
    Nidish
  • By "good translators" I assume you mean those who agreee with your interpretation.
    That which is agreeing with the wise is not necessarily pleasing tastes and views. ;)
    edited March 2011
    But I can't see any evidence of the Buddha dismissing the idea that birth, ageing and death are dukkha.
    I aleady provided you with the quote from the Mahaparnibbana Sutta, when the Buddha had his "deadly sickness". This sickness for him was not suffering.

I did not notice you dismiss this or comment on this Porpoise.

edited March 2011
    Again I don't understand your logic. Dukkha-dukkha and viparinama-dukkha are clearly types of dukkha, otherwise they wouldn't both have the suffix "dukkha".
    My logic is irrelevant.

Your issue is you do not understand Pali.

Painful feelings in Pali are called "dukkha vedana". Dukkha here means "pain". But it does not mean "suffering".

I already quoted MN 37 for you, which states a person is liberated via the destruction of craving, where feelings, whether pleasurable or painful, are merely observed.

The quote below about Nibbana cannot be anymore unambiguous in describing Nibbana as including the experience of dukkha vedana.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/iti/iti.2.042-049x.irel.html#iti-044

"What, bhikkhus, is the Nibbana-element with residue left? Here a bhikkhu is an arahant, one whose taints are destroyed, the holy life fulfilled, who has done what had to be done, laid down the burden, attained the goal, destroyed the fetters of being, completely released through final knowledge. However, his five sense faculties remain unimpaired, by which he still experiences what is agreeable and disagreeable and feels pleasure and pain. It is the extinction of attachment, hate, and delusion in him that is called the Nibbana-element with residue left.

edited March 2011
    Dukkha-dukkha and viparinama-dukkha are clearly types of dukkha, otherwise they wouldn't both have the suffix "dukkha".
    P

To be honest, I do not know much about this teaching or Pali terms, because, in my studies, which are not complete, I have only found these terms in one sutta, spoken by Sariputta.

The point or essense of the matter is if "dukkha" here does mean "suffering", it is still the suffering of attachment.

Dukkha-dukkha may mean suffering about "pain". However, pain is not dukkha. Only a person without mindfulness & wisdom suffers due to pain.

Viparinama-dukkha may mean suffering about "change". However, change is not dukkha. Only a person without mindfulness & wisdom suffers due to change.

Sankhara-dukkha may mean suffering about formations or fabrications. Fabrications, for the most part, are dukkha. Still, only a person without mindfulness & wisdom suffers due to fabrications.

In short, it is only ignorance, craving & attachment that make suffering from birth, sickness, aging, death, pain, change, etc.

The Buddha said knowing this is to know everything.

Kind regards

277. "All conditioned things are impermanent" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

278. "All conditioned things are unsatisfactory" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.20.budd.html

17. Then, when the Blessed One had passed away, some bhikkhus, not yet freed from passion, lifted up their arms and wept; and some, flinging themselves on the ground, rolled from side to side and wept, lamenting: "Too soon has the Blessed One come to his Parinibbana! Too soon has the Happy One come to his Parinibbana! Too soon has the Eye of the World vanished from sight!"

But the bhikkhus who were freed from passion, mindful and clearly comprehending, reflected in this way: "Impermanent are all compounded things. How could this be otherwise?"

18. And the Venerable Anuruddha addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Enough, friends! Do not grieve, do not lament! For has not the Blessed One declared that with all that is dear and beloved there must be change, separation, and severance? Of that which is born, come into being, compounded and subject to decay, how can one say: 'May it not come to dissolution!'?

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.16.1-6.vaji.html

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Basically there's physical dukkha and mental dukkha, but since the mind is where everything ends up (where everything is experienced)... if the mind is unfettered and has clarity, it does not experience dukkha. It is aware of all things, but not attached to anything (even itself). Though pain may be inflicted, it does not disturb the mind and is seen as a sensation indicating damage. Though things change constantly, it flows with the change and is not disturbed. Lots of stuff. The entire world, your entire reality, is all in your head. Take care of the mind, and you can find peace in everything.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    To the OP: Two thoughts come to my mind. First, before retiring, I was a school principal, and I often had to speak publicly. I learned over time to take nothing for granted in terms of how familiar my audience was with a particular topic. In a way, this is how I see the First Noble Truth. In a sense, it was almost as if Siddhartha set the stage with the First Noble Truth.

The other thought was: that I'm sure that -- particularly when younger -- one really does see that there is much suffering in life. As I have gotten older, and my health has somewhat declined, I look at suffering much differently. Not only my own, but also that of others. For example, my mother had serious heart problems, and only recently have I begun to understand her suffering...not only in terms of the heart problem itself and its ramifications, but also in terms of the mental suffering that went along with it.

I do think that Buddhists sometimes put too much emphasis on suffering, in that there is also much joy in life. But, again, particularly when younger, one does not understand the balance between the two forces.

• I do think that Buddhists sometimes put too much emphasis on suffering, in that there is also much joy in life. But, again, particularly when younger, one does not understand the balance between the two forces.
    This might be a misunderstanding. I've heard it said that "Buddhism is a religion of sadness. Everything is suffering." But I see it as just the opposite. Buddhists learn to recognize suffering and its causes in order to evolve to joy. Really, it's a methodology for reaching joy, or bliss. Or equanimity.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    @compassionate_warrior, Exactly, that's just it. We have to fully embrace that suffering is a pervasive part of life, and that even our continual attempts at finding happiness are a part of this suffering, to come to the peace of non-craving/non-clinging that is no longer struggling against what "is" (Nirvana).

A withstanding peace that has no sustaining requirements, does not need to find/acquire sense pleasures or cling to existence/non-existence or other such views. A peace that ends the cycle!
  • A withstanding peace that has no sustaining requirements, does not need to find/acquire sense pleasures or cling to existence/non-existence or other such views. A peace that ends the cycle!
    Hooray! Bravo!! :clap: :clap: :om: :clap:
  • edited March 2011
    The entire world, your entire reality, is all in your head.
    Hi Cloud. Once is was popular to claim the universe surrounds the earth and the earth was flat. Now it is popular to think the universe is in one's head and the brain is one's mind. Both views are self-centric, but there is something that goes beyond that. :orange:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    @thecap, No no I don't mean it that way, I mean your reality is all in your head. The way you think and perceive the way things are is your mind's view. The reality that "is" that we're all a part of is before thought, before perception. It is this flowing reality that we're trying to make the mind see in Buddhism, through the Noble Eightfold Path that leads the mind to direct realization.

I don't mean if someone put a bullet in your head that everything would just disappear, as if it was your mind generating the entire universe. That would deny the existence of other people as being real, you'd basically be saying they were all figments of your imagination. We're all part of this, but we don't all see it clearly, and in our ignorance we bring suffering upon ourselves and others. Sorry if I was unclear. :D
This discussion has been closed.