Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

karma and japan...

Seeker567Seeker567 Explorer
edited March 2011 in General Banter
So every bad action/emotion that is bestowed apon us is because of bad karma, in this life or previous, right? So all the people who are in japan, following the dharma even, get struck with a terrible tsunami. It doesnt make sense to me. Could someone please explain it?

Comments

• Samsara is suffering and woe. Trying to determine the karma that bore the fruit of this suffering is imponderable. Instead focus your energy and attention upon bringing comfort, aid, and compassion to those in need.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Karma is just a mere chain reaction of previous occurrences. The reason the earthquake happened is due to the build-up of pressure in the earths crusts between two plates and then it sort of just slide, like stretching a rubberband until it snaps. These two plates collided, built up pressure, and then slide really fast - thats all. Why did they collide? Because of ever farther past occurrences of the plates slided in different areas over millions of years. It wasn't because they were "bad" or anything. Just sometimes shit happens.

And, by the way, many Japanese don't actually follow the dharma. Its much like many Americans claiming their Christian but know nothing about it.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Earthquakes were happening on earth before human life arose.

Earthquakes are not related to karmic law.

:)
    Kamma as a law of nature

Buddhism teaches that all things, both material and immaterial, are entirely subject to the direction of causes and are interdependent. This natural course of things is called in common terms "the law of nature," and in the Pali language niyama, literally meaning "certainty" or "fixed way," referring to the fact that specific determinants inevitably lead to corresponding results.

The laws of nature, although uniformly based on the principle of causal dependence, can nevertheless be sorted into different modes of relationship. The Buddhist commentaries describe five categories of natural law, or niyama. They are:

1. Utuniyama: the natural law pertaining to physical objects and changes in the natural environment, such as the weather; the way flowers bloom in the day and fold up at night; the way soil, water and nutrients help a tree to grow; and the way things disintegrate and decompose. This perspective emphasizes the changes brought about by heat or temperature.

2. Bijaniyama: the natural law pertaining to heredity, which is best described in the adage, "as the seed, so the fruit."

3. Cittaniyama: the natural law pertaining to the workings of the mind, the process of cognition of sense objects and the mental reactions to them.

4. Kammaniyama: the natural law pertaining to human behavior, the process of the generation of action and its results. In essence, this is summarized in the words, "good deeds bring good results, bad deeds bring bad results."

5. Dhammaniyama: the natural law governing the relationship and interdependence of all things: the way all things arise, exist and then cease. All conditions are subject to change, are in a state of affliction and are not self: this is the Norm.

The first four niyama are contained within, or based on, the fifth one, Dhammaniyama, the Law of Dhamma, or the Law of Nature. It may be questioned why Dhammaniyama, being as it were the totality, is also included within the subdivisions. This is because this fourfold categorization does not cover the entire extent of Dhammaniyama.

http://www.buddhanet.net/cmdsg/kamma1.htm#law
  • edited March 2011
    Actually, earthquakes can be due to human activities, as can natural disasters due to changes in weather patterns from human activity. The devastating tsunami to hit Banda Acheh, Indonesia, after a major earthquake a couple of years ago, was reported to have been caused by deep seismic drilling for oil off the coast of Australia.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Actually, earthquakes can be due to human activities, as can natural disasters due to changes in weather patterns from human activity. The devastating tsunami to hit Banda Acheh, Indonesia, after a major earthquake a couple of years ago, was reported to have been caused by deep seismic drilling for oil off the coast of Australia.
    My 9th grade science teacher is a liar then.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    So every bad action/emotion that is bestowed apon us is because of bad karma, in this life or previous, right? So all the people who are in japan, following the dharma even, get struck with a terrible tsunami. It doesnt make sense to me. Could someone please explain it?
    I suggest reading this blog post from S. Dhammika.

• edited March 2011
    My 9th grade science teacher is a liar then.
    Regarding what, the cause of the quake and Indonesian tsunami? A lot of people don't know the cause was man-made. The report appeared the first couple of days after the quake, then disappeared, and it was made out to be a natural disaster. Some oil company could've gotten sued, y'know? So a different spin was put on it. "Ah, the vagaries of nature--so sad!"

Regarding what, the cause of the quake and Indonesian tsunami? A lot of people don't know the cause was man-made. The report appeared the first couple of days after the quake, then disappeared, and it was made out to be a natural disaster. Some oil company could've gotten sued, y'know? So a different spin was put on it. "Ah, the vagaries of nature--so sad!"

I think it's a bit much to say that the earthquake was indeed man-made. It's speculated that drilling by Exxon may have been the trigger, but as far as I know, there isn't really any conclusive evidence supporting this assertion, and many seismologists dispute the link. For example, see this discussion between James Agnew, a seismologist from the California Geological Survey, and Sterling Allan, CEO of Pure Energy Systems Network.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    The devastating tsunami to hit Banda Acheh, Indonesia, after a major earthquake a couple of years ago, was reported to have been caused by deep seismic drilling for oil off the coast of Australia.
    Sometimes the mind can be so engrossed with "morality", it believes anything that condemns human behaviour.

Moral theocracies like the Tibetan feudal serfdom ended 50 years ago and the new ones, such as Iran, are moral disasters.

Best to let the world go & not be attached to it, as the Buddha encouraged us to do.

Best to learn the difference between a "moral crusader" vs "compassionate buddha".

Come! Behold this world, which is like a decorated royal chariot. Here fools flounder, but the wise have no attachment to it.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.13.budd.html

• edited March 2011
    Just discussing earthquakes and karma, DD. Not a big deal. The OP is about karma, which is related to "morality". But thanx for the link.
  • Actually, earthquakes can be due to human activities, as can natural disasters due to changes in weather patterns from human activity. The devastating tsunami to hit Banda Acheh, Indonesia, after a major earthquake a couple of years ago, was reported to have been caused by deep seismic drilling for oil off the coast of Australia.
    There is absolutely NO scientific basis for such a ridiculous claim. It's so preposterous as to be laughable if you know the first thing about plate tectonics. The moon was reported to have been made of green cheese, but that doesn't make it so.

• Sorry, Mts., but that's what was in the news the first few days...
  • edited March 2011
    DD, the discussion you referenced was the most entertaining thing I've read in a long time. In the end, it would appear that the jury is still out on whether drilling for oil can trigger an earthquake event. There was a linked article about Shell Oil's drilling in the Gulf of Mexico possibly/probably causing a 5.2 quake there, with the epicenter located right at one of Shell's big rigs.

I actually studied plate tectonics in university, back when it was still an unproven theory (but wasn't for much longer thereafter). It was one of the most exciting courses I'd ever taken. It's amazing to think that there was a time when plate tectonics wasn't scientifically accepted, a very long time. It seems so obvious...

Thanks again for the link, and for a good read. :)
  • ''So every bad action/emotion that is bestowed apon us is because of bad karma''

^^ Not entirely true from what I heard from at least 2 buddhist monks. Sometimes things happen just because they happen, and not a result of karma. The example one of the monks gave was that if you are standing at the edge of a tall building and fall off and die, it isn't always a fact of karma, it could have been simply because you were standing at the edge of a building. Karma is vastly complex for an enlightened or unawakened mind to comprehend fully.
    DD, the discussion you referenced was the most entertaining thing I've read in a long time. In the end, it would appear that the jury is still out on whether drilling for oil can trigger an earthquake event. There was a linked article about Shell Oil's drilling in the Gulf of Mexico possibly/probably causing a 5.2 quake there, with the epicenter located right at one of Shell's big rigs.

I actually studied plate tectonics in university, back when it was still an unproven theory (but wasn't for much longer thereafter). It was one of the most exciting courses I'd ever taken. It's amazing to think that there was a time when plate tectonics wasn't scientifically accepted, a very long time. It seems so obvious...

Thanks again for the link, and for a good read. :)
    Uh, you're welcome?
  • If you believe in karma, then you should also believe in
    endless cycle of rebirth.
    In the Japanese people's uncountable previous lives, they
    must have done countless good and bad deeds.
    Karma cant be used to explain a single event.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    It is an interesting concept, however -- is there national karma?
  • I believe in international karma.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Karma is how our choices come back to affect us, it's not about earthquakes and tsunamis.
    Karma is how our choices come back to affect us, it's not about earthquakes and tsunamis.
    So, if a nation makes certain choices -- such as starting a world war or accepting the enslavement of Africans -- why couldn't that choice come back to affect us...as a nation, rather than as an individual?

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Because those causes do not lead to the effects of earthquakes and tsunamis. There is always a correlation. Karma is not a god, setting off an earthquake because the people of a nation were bad.
  • I myself believe in rebirth but not international karma. You sow your own seeds of karma and they ripen when given the chance. Some fall onto rocky ground with sil that is far from infertile, and some fall on fertile soil. If you in your current lifetime generate negative karma, t is believed that you give the seeds sown negatively in the past easier prospect of ripening. Also, you can dilute your past karma by being compassionate and following the dharma. You can have a seed of karma ripen that you generated 2 weeks ago, but also you can have one that you had sown 9,000 lifetimes ago. However, as I said, not every action or situation consequence is a result of karma, hence this recent natural disaster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Remember that Kamma is also volitional action. If the earthquake WAS caused by human activity - they must have wanted to create a national disaster of epic proportions. But they didn't. Nobody had any idea that such a result was actually possible. (and I'm not giving it credence here, I'm just pointing out the obvious flaw in the theory....)
    It may, or may not, have had an impact - but I doubt it was intentional.
  • On a slightly different note regarding events in Japan - a temple in Los Angles called Darai Rulai with a base in UK led by a chinese so called living buddha Dechen Jueren is selling incense filled anti radiation masks for £300, this is just a horrible example of money making on the back of real human tragedy. I really don't understand how these people can claim to be buddhists. Such actions cannot be beneficial to the individuals karma.

• a radiation mask won't do a thing anyway if you are exposed to a high amount of radiation, you need a full suit. But yes, these people are obviously con artists or some sort of demented buddhists that really want to build some grand temple with the money. Wait, did you say incense radiation mask... o.O
  • hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited March 2011
    On a slightly different note regarding events in Japan - a temple in Los Angles called Darai Rulai with a base in UK led by a chinese so called living buddha Dechen Jueren is selling incense filled anti radiation masks for £300, this is just a horrible example of money making on the back of real human tragedy. I really don't understand how these people can claim to be buddhists. Such actions cannot be beneficial to the individuals karma.
    People will call themselves anything to make a quick buck. Not every bald head
    in brown robes are genuine buddhist monks.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited March 2011
    I shake my head when I hear people say there is no God in Buddhism. There is no creator God, but of course we have a God of Judgement, called Karma. In a very real way, Karma as a divine judge, in our Buddhist theology, serves the same purpose as God the divine judge in other religions. It's "Karma" that judges a person upon death, deciding what happens in your next life. It's "Karma" that punishes and rewards good and bad Buddhist behavior. I do have to admit, we have improved upon most religions, in that we have a handy explanation of why infants and innocents are punished. Because of Karma punishing past life actions.

And just like some other person in another religion asking why bad things happen to people, the answers tend to be the same. (1) It's God (Karma), so it can't be totally comprehended by our limited understanding. (2) Bad things happen because the person (or society) did something bad to deserve it. (3) Not everything that happens in life is God (Karma) acting to punish or reward.

So our God of Judgement doesn't have a face and personality. An impersonal judge is still a judge, just not subject to emotions like anger or pity. And where does Karma come from? It just IS, like God. And why does it cause things the way it does? Because that's just the way it works.

This desire to match good and bad actions with justice in the world is so ingrained, I doubt we'll ever have a religion without some answer to the eternal question of "Why do bad things happen?"

Actions have consequences. That's not so hard to understand. Sometimes sh*t happens. That's not so hard to understand, either, is it? If a people live on an island that's part of the dynamic plate techtonic movement and subject to frequent earthquakes and tidal waves, then they're going to be facing these events over and over. That's karma. Guild and innocence and past lives and good or bad actions have nothing to do with it. If Buddha stood on the shore of Japan that day, he'd have been washed away. And if a nation builds nuclear plants next to a shoreline on an island with a history of earthquakes and huge tsunamis, then it doesn't take a psychic to know this action might have some terrible consequences in the future.

Karma. Nobody's bad actions in the past caused the deaths of thousands in the quake. Karma is not a God of Judgement. You can't sacrafice a virgin in a vulcano to Karma for special favors.
  • I agree that there with the idea of no collective karma Cinorjer, and that karma is not responsible for what happened over in Japan, BUT, karma is not an all knowing entity that punishes or rewards so to speak, or at least that is my understanding. It is just another law of nature, just one we cannot comprehend as easily as say the law of gravity. I am sure their are laws are we even totally unaware of, but karma we can understand as ignorant beings to a certain extent. But as I posted above, not everything that happens is a result of karma, it just happens due to its causation.
  • So every bad action/emotion that is bestowed apon us is because of bad karma, in this life or previous, right? So all the people who are in japan, following the dharma even, get struck with a terrible tsunami. It doesnt make sense to me. Could someone please explain it?
    Buddha never explained karma like that.

Gautama Buddha taught that only a Fully Awakened Buddha could know all the ins and outs of karma, and until then, it is one of the four imponderables ie leave that be

Namaste.
  • On a slightly different note regarding events in Japan - a temple in Los Angles called Darai Rulai with a base in UK led by a chinese so called living buddha Dechen Jueren is selling incense filled anti radiation masks for £300, this is just a horrible example of money making on the back of real human tragedy.

How cruel
  • ''only a Fully Awakened Buddha could know all the ins and outs of karma, and until then, it is one of the four imponderables ie leave that be''

to an extent leave it alone, its tooo complex for an unenlightened being to comprehend, but it isn't the buddha who can fully understand the ins and outs, if you are liberated or awoken fully, then I assume you will :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @cinorjer -putting it bluntly - you're talking total Rubbish.
    First of all, Kamma is VOLITIONAL ACTION. so the concept that it is a -

"God of Judgement, called Karma. In a very real way, Karma as a divine judge, in our Buddhist theology, serves the same purpose as God the divine judge in other religions."

Is complete and utter balderdash, and spouting imagined rubbish like this on a Buddhist forum is both ill-conceived and frankly utterly ridiculous.
    If you're going to speak of subjects of this kind, in a thread of this kind, at least have the foresight to do some factual research. This is nothing whatsoever to do with Buddhism, and is pure fantasy, and not very laudable at that. Jeesh.....
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited March 2011
    This is a funny discussion.

There is no person on the planet (Enlightened or not) who can explain the exact way karma (voluntary action) leads to karma-consequences.

So is there such a thing as group-karma? You tell me.
    Does Karma-consequence have any part in people being struck by force of nature? Why not.

First explain how it works, then prove it, then speculate some more.

I don’t think Cinorjer deserved such harsh words.
    There is an element in the law of Karma which puts it in the same category as theist religions.
    The common ground is that we need more justice in our world than there actually is.
    Either God or the law of Karma supply (the illusion of) such a profound justice which is "understood" and accepted by believers only.

''only a Fully Awakened Buddha could know all the ins and outs of karma, and until then, it is one of the four imponderables ie leave that be''

to an extent leave it alone, its tooo complex for an unenlightened being to comprehend, but it isn't the buddha who can fully understand the ins and outs, if you are liberated or awoken fully, then I assume you will :)
    Karma is one of the roadblocks in more people accepting Buddhism. I'll be honest, I've read about it in many Theravada books in Thailand, I've read about it on the net in dozens of websites. I've seen people attempt to explain it in various Buddhist message boards. It's not so much the basic concept, but when one gets down to how exactly karma works, or explaining why it sometimes supposedly appears over time (often separated by multiple lifetimes), that's when the discussion always falls down.

We often say that Buddhism is more scientific than other religions. But then we also talk about the "imponderables". Science and imponderables are diametrically opposed. And, when we talk about imponderables, we begin to fall into the same trap that Christians find themselves in trying to explain when they say things like, "The Lord works in mysterious ways." Essentially, the Dhamma, the Bible, the Koran is a document (or, if you wish, group of documents) that state the beliefs of a group of people. None of the three documents is scientific. We have a general belief in Buddhism because many of its principles work for us. But, Christians say the same about Biblical principles, and Muslims say the same about Islamic principles. Faith is a wonderful thing, and we on this message board have faith in Buddhist principles. But, faith is still faith...not science.

• This is a funny discussion.
    It sure is.
  • I found Cinorjer's post thought provoking. His broader point, as I understood it, was that it's part of human nature to imagine some type of superhuman mechanism or deity that acts as arbiter over our actions. And the fact is that even many Asian Buddhists interpret karma the way Cinorjer outlined; many don't get the concept of karma as volitional action. That's a much more difficult concept to understand, so in the popular mind "karma" becomes simplified in exactly the same way as Cinorjer states. This is an interesting thread, ranging from the mechanics of plate tectonics to the mechanics of karma. We can accommodate and appreciate a wide range of opinions and thoughts. Let's just mellow out and enjoy the exchange.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    Japan is an area prone to earthquakes,which implies tsunamis, being a volcanic island. There is no bad karma. It's nature at work.
    Faith, in Buddhism = Confidence, not Faith as in, accepting something as one would in Biblical or Qu'ranic principles. (ie, because there is blind acceptance that 'If It Is Written, It Must Be True').
    Buddhist are encouraged to never accept something on the basis of that kind of faith.
  • Japan is an area prone to earthquakes, ... It's nature at work.
    Indeed. Let's bear in mind that Japan and all the other Pacific Islands as well as the Kamchatka Peninsula (full of active volcanos) wouldn't exist if it weren't for these geological processes we're discussing. Japan owes its existence to the same forces that caused the recent earthquake.

• How do you explain a tourist from China who was killed in the tsunami?
    Karma or coincident?
    I cannot speak for all Buddhists, of course. But in Thailand, the vast majority of Buddhists explain birth defects as karmic consequences from a previous life. I've really looked into this over the years, because I was born with a cleft lip and palate.

But, I'm sorry, no Buddhist source has ever satisfactorily explained this thinking to me.
  • edited March 2011
    I cannot speak for all Buddhists, of course. But in Thailand, the vast majority of Buddhists explain birth defects as karmic consequences from a previous life. I've really looked into this over the years, because I was born with a cleft lip and palate.

But, I'm sorry, no Buddhist source has ever satisfactorily explained this thinking to me.
    This issue comes up every couple of months on this forum. Although some Buddhist traditions teach that our circumstances at birth are due to past karma, some practitioners point to a certain suttra that says that the workings of karma are too complex for humans to fathom. And yet, there are other suttras that outline in some detail how karma works. So it's one of those questions where you have to use your own judgment. In any case, the Buddha did say to test teachings according to your own reasoning. That's the beauty of it.

I think a couple of distinctions need to be made. The first is that kamma (literally 'action') is primarily psychological in nature, with the results or fruits (vipaka) of intentional actions being experienced as pleasant, painful, or neither pleasant nor painful feelings (vedana) in the mind. In other word, kamma is how we react to things. Earthquakes, on the other hand, have causes, but not psychological ones. Again, I strongly suggest people read this blog post from S. Dhammika.
  • edited March 2011
    Not speaking of earthquakes, but what about children born with deformities, or born to abusive parents, to poor (or wealthy) parents, etc.? (To address vinlyn's question.)
    Earthquakes, on the other hand, have causes, but not psychological ones.
  • i recall sometime ago that some children were being born with birth defects such as no arms or nubs for arms and such. idk exactly. but years later they found out that people were dumping nuclear waste into the water and that was the cause of the babies deformities.

or you can blame genes. which is a roll of a dice. but still you can see the cause/effect.

now abusive parents? well there a people who turn out pretty happy even with abusive parents. blessing or not a blessing? hm up to you.

poor family? i feel very luck that i was born in a poor family because i learned a lot about life and it's hardships. i really enjoy a good meal and really appreciate what i have, no matter how little it is.

so idk karma is cause/effect. but what you do with that cause/effect is up to you.

This issue comes up every couple of months on this forum. Although some Buddhist traditions teach that our circumstances at birth are due to past karma, some practitioners point to a certain suttra that says that the workings of karma are too complex for humans to fathom. And yet, there are other suttras that outline in some detail how karma works. So it's one of those questions where you have to use your own judgment. In any case, the Buddha did say to test teachings according to your own reasoning. That's the beauty of it.

This is such an interesting discussion, and I'm so happy to read the various views here, most of which are without vitriol.

When you say, "In any case, the Buddha did say to test teachings according to your own reasoning. That's the beauty of it.", that sounds like what some would say is cherry picking or picking and choosing, and they condemn it.

Thoughts?
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Again, I strongly suggest people read this blog post from S. Dhammika.
    “All kamma, whether positive or negative, certainly has an effect, but not all effects are due to kamma.”

So we are asked to believe (yet we can never know) that every action has an effect in terms of moral causation. At the same time, not every situation is such an effect because there is natural causation as well.

There’s really not any conceivable observation that would support or undermine such a theory of moral causation.

• 'When you say, "In any case, the Buddha did say to test teachings according to your own reasoning. That's the beauty of it.", that sounds like what some would say is cherry picking or picking and choosing, and they condemn it.'
    I can already see the dead horse picture coming...

If you test the teachings & found that its ok to kill animals,
    then what shd you do?
    Well
    'When you say, "In any case, the Buddha did say to test teachings according to your own reasoning. That's the beauty of it.", that sounds like what some would say is cherry picking or picking and choosing, and they condemn it.'
    I can already see the dead horse picture coming...

If you test the teachings & found that its ok to kill animals,
    then what shd you do?
    I'm not sure exactly what the "dead horse picture" is. But Thai Buddhists "get around" the issue by ONLY eating the meat, while virtually all butchers are Muslims. :eek: