Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Universal Responsibility

Universal Responsibility (His Holiness The Dali Lama)
"In view of this, I am convinced that it is essential that we cultivate a sense of what I call Universal Responsibility. This may not be an exact translation of the Tibetan term I have in mind, chi sem, which means, literally, universal (chi) consciousness (sem). Although the notion of responsibility is implied rather than explicit in the Tibetan, it is definitely there. When I say that on the basis of concern for others' well-being we can, and should, develop a sense of universal responsibility, I do not, however, mean to suggest that each individual has a direct responsibility for the existence of, for example, wars and famines in different parts of the world. Clearly certain things, such as the poverty of a single village 10,000 miles away are completely beyond the scope of the individual. What is entailed, however, is not an admission of guilt, but, again, a reorientation of our heart and mind away from self and toward others. To develop a sense of universal responsibility--of the universal dimension of our every act and of the equal right of all others to happiness and not to suffer--is to develop an attitude of mind whereby, when we see an opportunity to benefit others, we will take it in preference to merely looking after our own narrow interests. Of course we care about what is beyond our scope--we accept it as part of nature and concern ourselves with doing what we can."

Recently I have been trying to raise funds for my trip to nepal. In October ill be volunteering in Nepal for 6 months teaching English to junior monks and building infrastructure in rural villages. So far I've been going to residential areas, churches, local business and organizations etc and while many people have shown me great generosity others feel the need to criticize and undermine what im doing. They say things like "Thats the stupidest thing i have ever heard of" or "Why would you want to help those people?" I know that they have been conditioned to think of other countries as somehow less important than our own but it makes me sad and sometimes angry when people verbally attack me. When i try to explain my motivation for volunteering stuff like 54% literacy rate 51% have access to health services. 1/3 of pop has access to clean drinking water etc all i hear back is that i shouldn't worry about "those people" I understand that this lack of what His Holiness calls universal responsibility is prevalent all over the world my question is how can we increase a sense of global awareness that seems to be lacking. Any thoughts?

Metta
-Nick

Comments

• Nick, who are these clods who would a) be so uncomprehending of a simple humanitarian effort and b) be rude enough to state their opinion so bluntly (or at all)? What part of the country do you live in? I think the only way we can influence people's thought w/regard to "universal responsibility" is by setting an example with our own lives. You're doing that, so if people don't get the message, there's really nothing more you can do. Move on to the next person, and be strong in your conviction that you're doing the right thing. Don't be angry in the face of ignorance; these are sad people. Good luck with your project.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Nick,

Consider that empathy arises in us when we have the space to see from another's view. If you notice a lack of empathy (such as the "clods" or cw for the "clods") you can be sure that there is a lack of openness in their mind. That is just another way suffering expresses itself.

Or, said differently, if people are caught in ego, they simply don't have the ability to relate skillfully to another's suffering. It is sad that some people don't have concern for the Nepal illiterate. It is also sad that the conditions of the Nepal illiterate exist.

Certainly one of the main lessons when encountering the unloving, is that their apathy can easily spread to us if we judge them for their apathy. The monks in Nepal cannot read, and the people in your backyard cannot see. They both deserve our attention, and are both our responsibility.

With warmth,

Matt
  • Thanks for the Dalai Lama quote, what a wonderful man.

Nick, I don't have the answer but I know everyone is different and all we can be is true to ourself. Take it easy, see how it goes and thankyou very very much.

Gassho.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    soulive, my parents were among the clods. They couldn't understand why anyone would go into needy communities in the developing world and try to help, and they didn't approve. This type of attitude is due to racism and conservatism, like what is being discussed on the "American Religions Right" thread. Though it's not necessarily just the religious right that seems to have a compassion problem ("universal compassion"), but the Right in general.

It reminds me of a documentary I saw about a 6-year old African-American girl whose parents sent her to a white school in the 1950's in order to desegregate the school. Every morning she'd have to walk past a long gauntlet of white adults lined up in front of the school screaming hateful things at her and spitting at her. Eventually a psychologist was called in to help her cope, and the psychologist asked her if she was angry at the mean people. She said "no", she just did like the preacher said in church, she prayed for God to forgive them, because "they know not what they do". This is what allowed her to get through the daily horrors relatively unphased. The psychologist, needless to say, was blown away. Wisdom from the mouths of babes.

I can understand (as much as anyone can) the attitude about "those people"; sadly, that's part of American life and humanity's challenges. What I don't get is the extreme rudeness towards you. But clearly these are people whose hearts haven't awakened yet, and "they know not what they do". You can pray for them or wish them well, and go your merry way. And like CW said, all you can do is set an example, and live your life according to your values and convictions.

Maybe when they ask, "Why would you want to help those people", you could say, "if I were in their position, I'd hope someone cared enough to help me. We're here in this life to help each other and make the world a better place". I don't know if that would help.

Keep on keepin' on, soulive. you know you're doing the right thing. Did you contact our member, SwissSis? She's done exactly what you're setting out to do, in Nepal and in Ladakh.
  • Nick, who are these clods who would a) be so uncomprehending of a simple humanitarian effort and b) be rude enough to state their opinion so bluntly (or at all)? What part of the country do you live in?

I live in Massachusetts, and sadly many of the people that disrespected me lived in massive houses and seemed to have a large amount of disposable income i.e. boats, atvs, etc

The thing at the time that really got me upset was how people couldn't just say no thank you. Its their money and they can choose how to spend it but why do you have to make fun of me for doing something so "stupid" was the word i kept hearing. If you don't want to donate thats your choice but why do people feel the need to go out of their way to undermine my decision. Also I appreciate all of your comments very helpful and insightful. At first i was angry with the lack of respect i was shown but now its just like i feel bad for them. They are obviously suffering. Thank you all
    Metta
    -Nick
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011

many of the people that disrespected me lived in massive houses and seemed to have a large amount of disposable income i.e. boats, atvs, etc
    What I could do with the money that bought those boats, atvs, etc.! Start a little foundation to send people like you to Do Good Stuff around the world, or start a little scholarship fund, so much potential!

Soulive, try the personal approach. first, contact your local Rotary Club, they sometimes sponsor people like you. They have a small budget for that. You'd have to give them a formal presentation/spiel.
    Each time someone donates, whether an individual or a business/org., ask them if they can refer you to a friend or colleague who might be interested. Then when you look up the referral, tell the new person that his friend, Mr. So-and-So donated generously to your project, and said New Person might be interested in considering a donation. At the very least, New Person will be less likely to be rude,knowing that his friend has talked to you and referred you, and you might have better success getting donations with this strategy. It's an old salesman's trick. ;)

Most normal people, like you said, say "No, thank you". I still can't get my mind around this rudeness-verging-on-verbal-abuse you're getting. Do people think money entitles them to that, these days?? Times have changed. :(

Please let us know how you do with your fund-raising.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    "It makes me sad and sometimes angry when people verbally attack me."

You sound righteously attached to your sense of goodness. Buddha taught this is delusion.

All the best

:)
    edited April 2011
    I live in Massachusetts, and sadly many of the people that disrespected me lived in massive houses and seemed to have a large amount of disposable income i.e. boats, atvs, etc
    To me, it sounds like you have been totally brainwashed by your perceptions of the Dalai Lama.

In the Chinese Taoism texts by Chuang Tzu, there is the story of a master who forbids his student to go off to a far off land "to do good" because he advises his student he is too naive about human nature and will only cause problems.

If you believe you are being disrespected in the USA, the obstacles you may face in Nepal may be even worse. Who knows?

:o
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    How do you know Soulive didn't already decide to go to Nepal before he came across HHDL's statement? I doubt he'd go charging off to Asia just because the DL suggested a life devoted to service. Although lots of young people in the US did just that in the 60's when Kennedy set up the Peace Corps. Some did well. Some didn't.

I agree that there are risks in trying to do projects in a foreign culture one knows little, if anything, about. But teaching English is pretty straightforward. Trying to organize people to do a community project is much more of a challenge.

Soulive, with whom are you doing the infrastructure projects? Are you going as a volunteer with an organization that is coordinating the work? Tell us more, if you don't mind.
    edited April 2011
    Recently I have been trying to raise funds for my trip to nepal. In October ill be volunteering in Nepal for 6 months teaching English to junior monks and building infrastructure in rural villages.
    What kind of $$$$ are you after? For what? For your airfares & personal expenses? Or for infrastructure expenditure?

:grumble:
    edited April 2011
    Peace Corps. Soulive, with whom are you doing the infrastructure projects? Are you going as a volunteer with an organization that is coordinating the work? Tell us more, if you don't mind.
    Exactly.

If Soulive is attempting to raise funds for infrastructure, why would you give him a donation? A reasonable person would give such funds to an established organization.

But if Soulive is raising funds for his personal travel & accommodation expenses, dude, get a job! When I was 22 years old, I worked 54 hours a week for 16 months to save $10,000 to travel to Nepal, probably the equivalent of $20,000 to $25,000 today.

:coffee:
  • If Soulive is attempting to raise funds for infrastructure, why would you give him a donation? A reasonable person would give such funds to an established organization.
    This is a good point. I assumed he was raising money for travel & living expenses.
    But if Soulive is raising funds for his personal travel & accommodation expenses, dude, get a job! When I was 22 years old, I worked 54 hours a week for 16 months to save $10,000 to travel to Nepal, probably the equivalent of $20,000 to $25,000 today. :coffee:
    When you were 22, DD, it was probably easier to get a job than now. I'd give soulive the benefit of the doubt and assume he's smart enough to figure out what the options are, and which course is best for fund-raising. For all we know, he may already have a job, and is doing fund-raising in his spare time. Maybe he's in school, and is fund-raising in spare time. Without further info, we're not in a position to be judgmental or patronizing. (Not that Buddhists should be judgmental anyway)

• DD, could you expand on your comment about being "brainwashed by your perception of the Dalai Lama"?
  • DD, could you expand on your comment about being "brainwashed by your perception of the Dalai Lama"?
    Sure. Deciding to take "universal responsibility" yourself is fine. Expecting others to do so is another matter.

• Without further info, we're not in a position to be judgmental or patronizing.
    I am not being judgemental or non-Buddhist. The Buddha praised industriousness.

Sure. Deciding to take "universal responsibility" yourself is fine. Expecting others to do so is another matter.

Do you think maybe it's just advice about the bodhisattva motivation, which is an integral part of the Mahayana/Vajrayana, and the Dalai Lama is a recognized Mahayana/Vajrayana teacher? I mean, to be a Mahayana Buddhist implies the expectation of universal responsibility for the Unfortunate Other. It's sort of what makes the Mahayana world go around, if you know what I mean.

Maybe Jeffrey wasn't entirely wrong on his thread voicing concern over criticism of the Mahayana/Vajrayana. To call a Mahayana Buddhist "totally brainwashed" for following a central tenet of the Mahayana just kind of leaves me befuddled. Can we live and let live here? I haven't ever seen the use of the term "Hinayana" on this board...

edited April 2011
    Maybe Jeffrey wasn't entirely wrong on his thread voicing concern over criticism of the Mahayana/Vajrayana. To call a Mahayana Buddhist "totally brainwashed" for following a central tenet of the Mahayana just kind of leaves me befuddled. I haven't ever seen the use of the term "Hinayana" on this board...
    Nick seemed to be using the Dalai Lama to justify his views that others should sympathise with his cause.

"Hinayana" is simply a delusional term. Theravadins view it as pure delusion. The social benefication provided by monks in countries such as Thailand & Burma far surpassed the feudal serfdom that existed in Tibet. The Theravadin teachings for non-monks are far more complete than the Mahayana teachings. The Theravada teachings teachings address the real needs of humanity completely. Mahayana simply provides more "opiates" for the masses.

Sounds like your mind has been brainwashed also. :lol:
    edited April 2011
    I understand that this lack of what His Holiness calls universal responsibility is prevalent all over the world my question is how can we increase a sense of global awareness that seems to be lacking. Any thoughts?
    Sure. If the Dalai Lama cannot change the whole world, if the Buddha could not, if Jesus could not, then how can we?

Just focus on your own work & goals.

If you make it to Nepal, I trust it will be an experience of great growth for you.

All the best :)
  • The Theravada teachings teachings address the real needs of humanity completely. Mahayana simply provides more "opiates" for the masses.

"Opiates" for the masses? I have been "brainwashed" too, and you "LOL"?

To follow your logic, Mahayanists who feel a sense of universal responsibility are "brainwashed", somehow subject to "opiates", and are to be laughed at out loud?

Wow. Whatever.

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2011

Wow. Whatever.

SD,

Its a great time to practice loving kindness :) . I've noticed that DD has a great understanding of scripture, but remains stuck talking to others like his dad talked to him, and with a similar narrow view. He'll get there. In the meantime, don't throw the baby with the bathwater, he does raise an interesting point.

Its important to work diligently on our own view, in order to be skillful. We cannot set aside our needs to help others. By first stabilizing the view, we can be of genuine service to others... where the actions we take are not born of self-centric perceptions. Social responsibility does not supersede personal need, rather co-arises as an expression of personal growth.

Deep breaths,

Matt
  • @aMatt: You always have a way of putting your finger directly on the issue and explaining it well.

edited April 2011
    To follow your logic, Mahayanists who feel a sense of universal responsibility are "brainwashed"...
    I did not say this.

I said to expect others to have the same sense of universal responsibility as you is to be...like....brainwashed

I said to regard Mahayana as offering more to the world than Theravada is to be brainwashed by propaganda

In our current "small" world, even the Dalai Lama has retracted the traditional derogatory use of the word "Hinayana"

Why? He would have no leg to stand on in debate. He would be both censored & demolished

There is no such thing as "Hinayana" and no such thing as the "2nd & 3rd turning of the wheel". These notions are mere baseless propaganda.

Most enlightened Tibetan teachers I know declare they teach "Buddhayana".

• remains stuck talking to others like his dad talked to him
    Matt

Have you undertaken a commitment to follow the 3rd precept, about untrue speech?

:confused:
  • @aMatt: You always have a way of putting your finger directly on the issue and explaining it well.
    Actually, what Matt said is completely inaccurate. As they say: "Birds of a feather..."

:mullet:
    edited April 2011
    he does raise an interesting point
    DD raises a salient & essential point. It is more than "interesting".

• All I meant was that since I have not seen the use of the term Hinayana on this board I assume no one has any reason to "put down" Theravada. Your use of the terms "brainwashed", "opiates", and the "LOL" smiley speak volumes about your attitude. "Baseless propaganda"?

Of course no one uses the term Hinayana in polite discourse any more. That would be a "put-down".

So the way I see it, you are openly putting down the Mahayana, which beliefs many of us hold dearly and firmly.

I think Matt pretty much nailed it.
    edited April 2011
    I think Matt pretty much nailed it.
    As you said: "I think". Just your opinion.

I already advised you the term "Hinayana" is pure delusion. It is only a "put down" to the one asserting it.

The term "Hinayana" shows how foolish the Mahayana is, engrossed in it superstitions that Christian-like Tantra or Vajrayana can enlighenment people.

• Your use of the terms "brainwashed", "opiates", and the "LOL" smiley speak volumes about your attitude. "Baseless propaganda"?
    You seem unable to accept what I said is right; that to expect others to possess the same sense of ultruism as you is not wise.

Although you have adopted a Tibetan name, do you know what the 2nd & 3rd turning of the wheel are?

do you know what the Buddha taught?

if so, you would understand there is no such thing as a 2nd turning, let alone a 3rd of any profundity

edited April 2011
    So the way I see it, you are openly putting down the Mahayana, which beliefs many of us hold dearly and firmly
    can you articulate what you regard as your "beliefs" let alone then place them within the history of Buddhism?

there was no 2nd turning of the wheel

the Buddha himself taught dependent origination & emptiness & compassion

what don't you get?

basically, the only thing unique to Mahayana is the worship of ex-Hindu bodhisatva gods & idiot compassion thinking one can save all beings

:-/
  • I'd love to stay and chat, but I have to go winnow the barley for the monks, drain the water out of my ears, and smoke some opium...
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2011
    remains stuck talking to others like his dad talked to him
    Matt

Have you undertaken a commitment to follow the 3rd precept, about untrue speech?

I say what I see, as best I can, and with as much compassion as I am able. Perhaps I see it wrongly, perhaps you are in denial. Either way, I am prepared to be wrong in what I say, even as I work to speak accurately. Your father criticized you in an ignorant way. If my relating was poorly constructed, it was intended on helping others relate to your pattern of ignorant criticism, and if you haven't noticed, many people have noticed it and mentioned it to you. It seemed appropriate, as SD appeared on the cusp of looking through it.

It seemed then, that he was able to see your salient and essential point, even if it was egotistically presented.
  • edited April 2011

Nick seemed to be using the Dalai Lama to justify his views that others should sympathise with his cause.
    "seems" is the key word. Seems, to you. Reading a bit into it, aren't you? I thought he was providing an inspirational quote. Really, we need to hear from soulive directly on these points we've been discussing, rather than projecting thoughts onto him. :-/
    "Hinayana" is simply a delusional term. Theravadins view it as pure delusion. The social benefication provided by monks in countries such as Thailand & Burma far surpassed the feudal serfdom that existed in Tibet. The Theravadin teachings for non-monks are far more complete than the Mahayana teachings. The Theravada teachings teachings address the real needs of humanity completely. Mahayana simply provides more "opiates" for the masses.

How did we get onto feudal serfdom, the superiority of Theravada teachings, etc?! This isn't about politics, DD. You sound like you're reading too much into SherabDorje's post. All he was doing is explaining that soulive was presenting a fundamental Mahayana principle in the quote provided. This has nothing to do with "brainwashing", unless you consider that adherents of any religion/philosophical system are "brainwashed", including yourself. :-/ Kind of a pointless argument, isn't it, and has nothing to do with the intent behind anyone's post here.

"Mahayana provides more "opiates" for the masses"? Interesting. More than what, Theravada? So you agree, that Theravada does provide opiates, and so followers are therefore brainwashed?

But we digress. Best to stay on-topic. I look forward to hearing from soulive.
    edited April 2011
    Your father criticized you in an ignorant way. If my relating was poorly constructed, it was intended on helping others relate to your pattern of ignorant criticism, and if you haven't noticed, many people have noticed it and mentioned it to you.
    Your posts are moot, as usual. There are caught up your usual tendency towards filial lust, as I have mentioned before. Your posts have strayed from the topic. Your post is absorbed into "people" and looking for "personal characteristics". This is voyeurism.

Sure, my posts on this thread may be terse, but they are not baseless ignorance.

I have made a number of relevent points, related to the subject matter, which includes being inspired by the Dalai Lama:

1. He get angry because others do not have the same inspiration;

2. He expects to be given donations

3. He is using the Dalai Lama as justification for his views & desires

edited April 2011
    How did we get onto feudal serfdom, the superiority of Theravada teachings, etc?!
    :lol:

Its called 'karma'. Are you denying there was a feudal serfdom in Tibet or that the term 'Hinayana' is traditionally derogatory?

:confused:
    edited April 2011
    "Mahayana provides more "opiates" for the masses"? Interesting. More than what, Theravada? So you agree, that Theravada does provide opiates, and so followers are therefore brainwashed?
    I think if you have traveled to Theravada countries, such as Thailand, you would experience a culture of extremely industrious and shrewd people, with outstanding self-respect.

This is much different that spinning prayer wheels in a feudal slave culture, having no self-autonomy.

• edited April 2011
    I think if you have traveled to Theravada countries, such as Thailand, you would experience a culture of extremely industrious and shrewd people, with outstanding self-respect.

This is much different that spinning prayer wheels in a feudal slave culture.
    You haven't addressed my question. You said Mahayana provides "more" opiates, which implies a comparison. (I assume you have a good command of English.) What are you comparing Mahayana to? Theravada? If so, "more" in Mahayana would imply that Theravada provides "some" opiates, or at least one.

• @soulive1112420
    If someone asks with genuine interest why you choose to do this, then answer. But if someone is just being rude, and not asking out of genuine interest then give a flippant reply like "To prove I'm better than you" or "To save all of humanity". There will always be jaded people, that feel they have to criticize others who try in life. To attempt and give a genuine answer to someone who is not actually interested in your reply.... well it's a waste of you breath and emotional effort.
    I think the people who are against your idea, do not think they can affect change. They may have a victim mentality. Whenever I save an animal I come across, heal it up, find it a home, my dad always says "Yeah, and there's 200 more animals that don't make it... so why are you spending your money on that thing?" I literally could give 2 craps what he thinks because he's a negative nancy. Whenever I bring up wanting to do peace corps to him, he blows a gasket and asserts that I will get shot one of these days (he's also very dramatic). Just keep on keeping on, and remember that you don't owe anyone an explanation.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Right speech.
    edited April 2011
    You haven't addressed my question. You said Mahayana provides "more" opiates, which implies a comparison.
    Moral_Crusader

You ask too many open questions. Best to do your own studies & practice rather than demanding explanations from others. This is the Buddhist way of self-reliance & self-empowerment.

Best wishes :)

• Response to "that's the stupidest thing I ever heard": "The Nepalese don't think so." Right speech. :D
  • Right speech.
    :dunce:

OK. My apologies for any harsh speech.
  • edited April 2011
    You ask too many open questions. Best you do your own studies & practice rather than demanding answers from others. This is the Buddhist way of self-reliance & self-empowerment.
    "Open" questions? It was quite specific, actually. But I'll try to only ask questions that you have the answers to. ;)
    There's no shame in being at an earlier stage on the path then some. I've already learned a lot on this forum. The important thing, I think, is how one treats others, while one progresses in study.
  • "Open" questions? It was quite specific, actually.
    No, no.

If you had studied & practised, you would not have to ask or you could provide a rebuttal or reply.

• Im participating in the INFO Nepal volunteer program. This is something I have wanted to do for many years. My placement will consist of two things. First for 3 months in Parsai (southern Nepal) living at a monastery a few miles outside of lumbini. My responsibility's include: Teaching English to junior monks, and organizing extra curricular activities. Then after 3 months im going to a much more remote region in Langtang near the border of Tibet. Here i will be helping build things like libraries and schools. As well as try educate locals about environmental and sanitation awareness.

The money that im raising goes towards a multitudes of different things. INFO is a non profit and is funded solely through program fees. The money i raise goes towards my living accommodation for 6 months but large chunk of that goes towards the monastery i will be staying at, INFO run orphanages, Libraries, and hospitals.

I didn't start this thread to complain about rich people not handing me money. I was simply asking how we could increase a sense universal responsibility that seems to be lacking. I included the quote because I thought it would help explain what i was trying to talk about. Anyway thanks for advice

Metta
    -Nick

dude, get a job! When I was 22 years old, I worked 54 hours a week for 16 months to save $10,000 to travel to Nepal, probably the equivalent of $20,000 to $25,000 today.

:coffee:
    I have two. I work on a farm as well a local store. Where did you go in Nepal?
  • The important thing, I think, is how one treats others...
    Don't I recall we once had an private conversation about "idiot compassion"?

I stand by what I said here. I would not give Nick one cent.

If Nick is to travel, he should learn to earn a living & his own travel expenses.

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2011

1. He get angry because others do not have the same inspiration;

2. He expects to be given donations

3. He is using the Dalai Lama as justification for his views & desires

We came to similar, but different conclusions. Most people don't walk around wielding their views like a stick, and I would consider that to be a projected quality of your own... rather than an present quality of Nick's story. What I saw was he is inspired by HHDL, is working along a path toward helping others, and became confused as how to relate to some of the experiences along the path. His expectation was perhaps that he was treated with respect, that the people he'd be talking to have similar compassion for others, and perhaps how to pass along some of the inspiration he feels.

I read the other components of your message, and choose only to respond with this acknowledgement.
    edited April 2011
    I have two. I work on a farm as well a local store. Where did you go in Nepal?
    Hi Nick

My name is Nick also. Sorry about setting this thread on fire. :rarr:

I only treked in Nepal, as a tourist. I went to Kathmandu, the surrounds, Pokara Lake, trekked up to Jomson & Muktinath (and back). It was great. I have many beautiful photos.

But yes, health facilities are needed in Nepal. It is quite a dirty country in many places due to a lack of water. Thus this enhances disease.

The people are nice but quite shy.

I actually support an orphanage in Nepal.

I hope you make it there.

edited April 2011
    We came to similar, but different conclusions. Most people don't walk around wielding their views like a stick....
    Get over it, dude. Nick is a big & gracious boy. Take your psychotherapy elsewhere, please

• Goodness, you people are getting your feathers ruffled, and being downright rude to each other. Smiley faces don't take away from the intent of a message. Resist the urge to bash and defend, and stick to the topic of the original question.
    edited April 2011
    Im participating in the INFO Nepal volunteer program. This is something I have wanted to do for many years. My placement will consist of two things. First for 3 months in Parsai (southern Nepal) living at a monastery a few miles outside of lumbini. My responsibility's include: Teaching English to junior monks, and organizing extra curricular activities. Then after 3 months im going to a much more remote region in Langtang near the border of Tibet. Here i will be helping build things like libraries and schools. As well as try educate locals about environmental and sanitation awareness.
    Sounds great, Nick

If you were in Australia, I would electronically send you a donation.