Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you want to become a monk/nun?

hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
edited April 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Why? Why not?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I was invited to become a monk at a temple in Thonburi (across the river from Bangkok) once by the temple's abbot. But I just didn't feel that I was ready for some of the food and living style requirements.
  • Thats quite an offer vinlyn. :D

I dont feel i could deal with the food and living style. Perhaps in time i will be able to though.
    Well, remember, in Thailand most Thai men become monks at sometime in their life for 3 weeks to 3 months, usually during the period of the Rains Retreat, so I think it was not quite what sounded.

It happened as a result of meeting the abbot along the street, a friend with me recognizing him, and discovering that his English was excellent. We talked for quite a while. He even said he would find me a "sponsor".
  • Well, remember, in Thailand most Thai men become monks at sometime in their life for 3 weeks to 3 months, usually during the period of the Rains Retreat, so I think it was not quite what sounded.

It happened as a result of meeting the abbot along the street, a friend with me recognizing him, and discovering that his English was excellent. We talked for quite a while. He even said he would find me a "sponsor".
    I see. Still sounds like a very generous offer. I would eventually like to do something along those lines.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    in Thailand, a "sponsor" is often a rich domineering superstitious woman who believes she will accrue merit by sponsoring a man to ordain

Thai monks are often warned to be careful about who sponsors them because some of these women are control freaks

I stayed in a monastery once in Thailand and a monk's sponsor got so jealous with him about his liasons with other women, she bit his arm, even though all Thai women know they are not allowed to touch a monk

In Thailand this ordaining business is very much part of the culture and functions at very many levels, from the most base superstitions to dedicated enlightenment practise

There is often nothing "generous" or profound about such things

If Vinlyn is a Westerner and did ordain, he probably would have been the "token" farang monk and an object for abbots lay devotees to oggle at; just a curiosity item or "tourist attraction"

this widespread & intrinsic role of monasticism in Thailand is one reason why the Thai Sangha is strongly against the ordination of women because the male system is crazy enough and difficult to manage

:)
  • yes one day when i am fully ready. IMHO, it is the pure life, it is the life that is natural to our nature before we built these concrete jungles. It is the way to find inner peace, but I am only 22 and I am not ready for many reasons to make that major change yet, but I plan to some day :)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Being forced to spend half your life getting money, is a waste of half a life.
    Being forced to spend half your life getting money, is a waste of half a life.
    Very interesting comment. There is quite a decline in the number of monks in Thailand, and I think it is because Thai life is catching up with the rest of the world in many ways...some good, some bad. The rural life has, to some extent, given way to a more suburban/urban lifestyle, jobs are more difficult to temporarily leave for any significant period of time, and frankly, I think it's very difficult for Thai monks to see why they should have to go out searching (note I did not say begging) for food each morning, and live a totally spartan life. I think the Thais are approaching a point when there are going to have be some adjustments and modernizations in the way that monks live.

I visited one rural temple, actually a somewhat historical one, a ways north of Bangkok that hasn't even had a monk in well over a year. None could be found. So the locals were totally renovating the temple, hoping that would help attract some monks to return.

• for sure, many monks have mobile fones, use the net and changes are happening. I did see a monk with an ATM card once. If you go into the 'real thailand', ie the isolated villages, there you see the decent people not searching for that career or money, and also the decent monks more often than not.

since the vietnam war, and influx of farang in thailand, they have began to want to be us. whitening creams and bling bling. Me and my freind use to joke sometimes saying thais are magpies, you know, the specie of bird because they like the shiny things
    It's interesting, because if you ask many Thais why do monks need to be so "poor", they'll tell you it has to be that way, but usually can't think of a single reason why.

I remember one summer meeting with a group of 3 monks whom I had met on the ferry in Bangkok, and they invited me to their temple in Thonburi so I could teach them more English. We actually met in one of the kutis. Quite spartan, although there was one of those very small electric refrigerators. But I had difficulty trying to determine why monks in the 20th century were still living this way. No wonder such a decline in the monkhood.

By the way TT...many temples in the most rural of villages are experiencing a shortage of monks. It's a nationwide problem.
  • I have had this discussion with a few thai people, thailand is losing its culture, or its changing for that matter. Buddhism to most lay people is a form of good luck, you probably have seen this. They thnk if they go to the temple on a sunaday and make an offering, they will get good luck. It is all about chuck dee!!
  • I would never want to be a monk. I want a career and a family.
  • i personlly do not want the stress of a career and chasing the buck, or the hassle of kids and a partner. life is a lot more simple when you have no job, no possible attachments to kids or a partner IMO. i always see old monks and nuns smiling in their old age, and the stressed out business man on his cell fone
  • hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Hopefully, this forum will prevent visitors from joining
    monasteries where you get rich women sponsors who are contorl
    freaks & monks who likes bling.

I think its a wonderful thing to try to live a simple
    life with only basic necessities.
  • Hopefully, this forum will prevent visitors from joining
    monasteries where you get rich women sponsors who are contorl
    freaks & monks who likes bling.

I think its a wonderful thing to try to live a simple
    life with only basic necessities.
    agreed! back to basics, how we use to be. You really do not need your super new blackberry or a brand new sports car, or even a table. All of these things can easily cause attachment and frustration. If I was stable minded I would go and join the monastery I have in mind right now, but I have to resolve a few things first.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    I am not 100% sure, but the chance is very high this will happen some day.

Why?
    100 reasons, but for one I like meditation.
  • beingbeing Veteran
    For me it's not really about becoming a monk, but much more about the change of environment into one, which is can be much more conducive to 'spiritual practice', than my current one.

I'll be leaving to live at a monastery in Thailand exactly in 2 weeks. ^^
  • Good luck, being, may it bring you the aspired practise!

I think that an urban monastic life can be more busy (and thus distracting) than household life, at least the childless one.

But it may be worth a try.

• beingbeing Veteran
    Thanks, thecap. :)

But it's not really the busyness of my current environment, that would be something, I feel, is distracting me.
    edited April 2011
    For me it's not really about becoming a monk, but much more about the change of environment into one, which is can be much more conducive to 'spiritual practice', than my current one.
    in the end, it may possibly make little difference

if you are making little progress where you are now, the monastery may not make much difference

if you are making some progress where you are now, the monastery may make much a difference

intensive periods of retreat are good if one has a developed practise

but many monks spend many years in monastaries struggling to develop samadhi and they then disrobe

nothing is guaranteed in the monastery

in fact, some folks go crazy in the solitude

all the best

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    One of the best experiences I ever had was to flunk out of a Zen monastery. I went with the notion that I would become a monk ... and somehow improve things. Naturally, I was impressed with the men and women who had seemed to attain some serenity, some enlightenment, some compassion some ... some something I didn't seem to possess. Living simply and with profound focus really appealed to the dreamer in me.

I signed up for an initial six months and lasted about two. I came away dispirited ... what the hell was wrong with me that I couldn't be a 'good' Zen student, a 'good' Buddhist? But once returned to an 'ordinary' lifestyle, I kept up my meditation practice and bit by bit the discouragement I had felt relaxed its grip. Yes, I found something important about Buddhism, its suggestions and its encouragements. But I simply could not do it in some cookie-cutter way. Dreams were fine, but if I was planning to live on dreams, how useful could Buddhism possibly be? Dreamers are a dime a dozen. People willing to put things into practice ... well, that takes a kind of patience that cannot rely solely on dreams.

By going to the monastery, I tested my dreams. Looking back, I am glad I did. Finding out what you can't or won't do is every bit as important as finding out what you can or will do. Setting aside the dreams of this life can be painful and confusing because you are left standing on your own two feet, forced to assess and move forward without recourse or excuse. It's not easy, whatever choices anyone makes ... but, for my money, it works out better in the end.

• beingbeing Veteran
    No worries, DD.
    I actually have my own experience on which I base my assumptions.
    Including living in my current environment (with other people) vs living alone.
    And a retreat of intensive practice.

I'm in no way expecting my progress to start automagically develop in the new environment. I'm just saying that the environment can be a very important factor in ones practice.
    edited April 2011
    No worries

I genuinely trust your time in Thailand will be very valuable

Thailand is a wonderful place

My best wishes for you

May all beings be happy and find freedom of mind

I'll be leaving to live at a monastery in Thailand exactly in 2 weeks. ^^
    Which town and monastery will you be at?

• beingbeing Veteran

I will stay at Wat Pah Nanachat in Ubon Ratchathani.
    I'm not familiar with that specific temple. But I love that area of Thailand. I hope you will have some time apart from your "temple time" to explore the area. Best wishes for your experience.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2011
    I often think about ordaining, especially when worldly life starts to seem 'confining' and 'dusty.' I've always enjoyed my time spent at monasteries, and I imagine that there's a good chance I'll ordain at some point simply because I've thought about doing so for 8+ years now and the desire hasn't faded yet.
  • Of course you see old business men who are tired and down and out. But there are so many others who are happy. I guess to a great extent it all depends on your dreams.

I imagine tons of people who worked hard in curing diseases, building infrastructure (especially for the poor) and doing other works that helped society move forward in a positive way have a tremendous satisfaction in old age.

• zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    This looks an interesting book for anyone wanting to go to Thailand to become a monk

“Phra Farang: An English Monk in Thailand” by Phra Peter Pannapadipo

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0099484471?ie=UTF8&tag=thaistudentonlin&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0099484471

and there is a good interview with him in the link below

http://www.thaibuddhist.com/thai-buddhism/an-interview-with-phra-farang.html

I am going to try and read it when I have time.

With Metta
  • I am not sure if I want to be a Monk, but I do want to spend short retreats at a Monastary. Once I do a few Sesshins at a local temple, I plan to spend a week at somewhere like Great Vows in Oregon.
    If I were to find it was my path, I would most likely go back to the Monastary with enough money to support myself and get ordained.
  • in Thailand, a "sponsor" is often a rich domineering superstitious woman who believes she will accrue merit by sponsoring a man to ordain

Thai monks are often warned to be careful about who sponsors them because some of these women are control freaks

I stayed in a monastery once in Thailand and a monk's sponsor got so jealous with him about his liasons with other women, she bit his arm, even though all Thai women know they are not allowed to touch a monk

In Thailand this ordaining business is very much part of the culture and functions at very many levels, from the most base superstitions to dedicated enlightenment practise

If Vinlyn is a Westerner and did ordain, he probably would have been the "token" farang monk and an object for abbots lay devotees to oggle at; just a curiosity item or "tourist attraction"

this widespread & intrinsic role of monasticism in Thailand is one reason why the Thai Sangha is strongly against the ordination of women because the male system is crazy enough and difficult to manage

This is so SAD!

• if i am correct, thiis is where many famous western monks eg ajahn brahm & sumedho were.

A word of advice, be patient, enjoy the journey
    not just the destination.

I will stay at Wat Pah Nanachat in Ubon Ratchathani.
  • Buddhism is no different from other religion.
    Some people use it to earn a living & acquire power.
    You must always be careful.
    But with experience, its quite easy to separate
    the real monks from those with ulterior motives.
    Traditional Buddhist countries eg SEA & Sri Lanka
    are poor countries, so many people become monks
    for the wrong reasons.
    in Thailand, a "sponsor" is often a rich domineering superstitious woman who believes she will accrue merit by sponsoring a man to ordain

This is so SAD!

• I am unsure if I would ever actually become a nun. But my husband is joining the national guard and will be on deployment at some time in the future. During that time I'm actually wondering about spending a great deal of time at a monastery, if I can find one that would have me!
  • I thought about leaving home from time to time, but I don't think I am ready yet. So I will probably get married and further my career and the lot...

• I think becoming a monk is a way of renunciation to walk to path to enlightenment.

I have chosen something similar.. not becoming a monk but it's a form of renunciation.

I was an engineering and find that the working environment is totally not conducive for Dhamma practice and concentration (office politics, stress etc.)

I give up the prestige status of being a professional and open my own shop instead... now my practice improves and gain valuable insight. I'm happy with my decision...
  • yes... if I could still get married.

• I think becoming a monk is a way of renunciation to walk to path to enlightenment.

I have chosen something similar.. not becoming a monk but it's a form of renunciation.

I was an engineering and find that the working environment is totally not conducive for Dhamma practice and concentration (office politics, stress etc.)

I give up the prestige status of being a professional and open my own shop instead... now my practice improves and gain valuable insight. I'm happy with my decision...
    I've been very fortunate! I am a civil engineer as well! My office is full of homeboys who keep it simple! No politics :D

I suppose Office politics is a good way to practice?