Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

what if you just gave up Buddhism?

2»

Comments

• Zen still makes a distinction between zazen (just sitting) and mindful daily activity (just walking/cleaning/driving/etc.) But I know where you're coming from.
    @Talisman -- Could you elaborate on the distinction that Zen makes? Sounds to me as if you're cruisin' for a bruisin'. :)
    if satori can happen anytime, the distinction is very fragile.
  • jlljll Veteran
    No beer, please. 5th precept.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    What do you suppose would happen if you gave up Buddhism and just took the dog for a walk?
    In a sense “giving up Buddhism” is a convention.
    Explaining Zen (or making comments on koans) is spreading “the stench of zen”.
    What else can we do?

When I really give up Buddhism – and never think or speak of the subject again - and just continue living my life; I will be happy at times and I will suffer at times and one day I will die.
    There will be no trace of Zen.

No trace at all?
    Maybe, it will be like Soyen Shaku, the first Zen teacher to come to America, said: "My heart burns like fire but my eyes are as cold as dead ashes."

http://deoxy.org/koan/22