Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Cost of the War on Terrorism

B5CB5C Veteran
edited July 2011 in Buddhism Today
"Nearly 10 years after the declaration of the War on Terror, the wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, and Pakistan have killed at least 225,000 people, including men and women in uniform, contractors, and civilians. The wars will cost Americans between $3.2 and $4 trillion, including medical care and disability for current and future war veterans, according to a new report by the Eisenhower Research Project based at Brown University’s Watson Institute for International Studies. If the wars continue, they are on track to require at least another $450 billion in Pentagon spending by 2020.

Read more: http://www.defencetalk.com/estimated-cost-of-post-911-wars-35360/#ixzz1QzlK52AK"

All this for American global power and to kill one man. So much suffering and death for revenge.

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Reminds me of the opening scene from Team America: World Police, where they kill the terrorists but destroy the eiffel tower, the louvre and several other buildings to do so. The idea was to combat terrorism to save American lives. 5,000 some US troops have died and the 200,000 some odd people in the countries we're fighting in. What kind of terrorist attack is worse than that?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Not to mention the fact that the evidence strongly suggests that it is all based on lies and deception...
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2011
    the sad thing is the Americans (and their cronie Australians) are fighting Iraqis and the Taliban. The alleged Al-Qaeda and the complex of Al-Qeeda bases did not even exist. Al-Qaeda seems to simply be the Hollywood creation of the CIA and US govt. Creates disturbing speculations upon who was behind 9/11 :(

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    We might have different views on some aspects of Buddhism, DD, but it appears we agree on politics.
  • Wanna talk about terrorist let's mention AGENT ORANGE. Haha I'm just saying
  • edited July 2011
    So many lives, materialism gone into the name of karma causes for no convincing long-term solution. Harmony begets harmony, and peace begets peace. May all the sacrifices for nothing be liberated to a Buddha land. If trillions and trillions budget projected to build Afghanistan, Iraq, and Pakistan for social well beings, I would think that the world political-terrorism would cease to function naturally in the name of grace, into political-lovingkindness. The world of 2020 pentagon spending would be travelling to the world of sight-seeing :wave:
  • jlljll Veteran
    How else can we create jobs? High unemployment, remember?
    How much does a missile cost? heck, that is worth at least 5 jobs.
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    person, that first scene in Team America that you mentioned cracks me up! It makes its point well. I also love the scene in which one of the characters pukes forever.

---

I am glad that a lot of the lies behind these wars are more commonly known these days.

May all wars end.

• we can talk about bad karma day and night, but can we please not try and second guess strategic decisions without the full story. Al Qaida exists, I can say that much.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Al Qaida exists, I can say that much.
    How do you know?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    If Al Qaida doesn't exist than maybe we are not really in Iraq and afghanistan?
  • While we might have different views of our nation's response to the threat, from a military viewpoint, the whole thing was and remains an incredibly stupid but typical political clusterwhatever. Bear in mind, I worked in our Pentagon during the entire "Strategic Defense Initiative" otherwise known as "Star Wars" during the Reagan years, so I know a good waste of money when I see it.

1. A "War on Terror"? A war on an emotion? Wars are designed to cause what we're trying to stop. OK, how about a "War on Terrorism"? Terrorism is a tactic. Another name for terrorism is "sneak attack against a civilian target". We've declared war on sneak attacks, not on a nation. Since most wars include a few unexpected bombs dropped on civilian targets, we've declared war on war. And we're cheering as we do this instead of saying, WTF?? I have to stand in amazed wonder at the moronic thinking of the average citizen of our great nations.

So, just exactly how does one win a war on a method of fighting that by definition cannot be anticipated or guarded against because it's...you know...sneaky? So we have a neverending war.

2. So we have the "War on Al Qaida". Yes, it seems the Al Qaida exists, as a loose club of idiots that anyone can join simply by shouting the name as you explode the bomb. Normal law enforcement is very effective to fight this. In any country with effective law inforcement that doesn't have huge stockpiles of explosives sitting around all over the place, that is. Like the countries we're "helping" with our military.

The problem is, our governments have managed to convince people that what we're dealing with is some Supervillian organization out of a James Bond film, not a bunch of bumbling idiots that only succeeded because they happened to run up against a bigger bunch of bumbling idiots in the White House. So we now spend our time killing the top Al Qaida people, along with lots of innocent people, mostly with remote drone bombs. And since that only means the number three or four guy is now number one or two, it's an endless process. Once again, neverending war.

So from a military viewpoint, it's stupid. But since neverending war funnels money into the military, who are they to call BS on the entire concept? So the Generals keep their mouths shut and take the paychecks.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    If Al Qaida doesn't exist than maybe we are not really in Iraq and afghanistan?
    I don't question that people are killing and being killed in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere - what I do question is who is responsible.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    How else can we create jobs? High unemployment, remember?
    Essentially, you're presenting the "guns and butter" philosophy. Our economy is no longer really based on, or reliant on that to any great extent.

• How else can we create jobs? High unemployment, remember?
    Essentially, you're presenting the "guns and butter" philosophy. Our economy is no longer really based on, or reliant on that to any great extent.

Yes, money not spent on a military will never be spent on the poor, instead. It will be funneled back to the rich and powerful. Take the US. We had a big surplus at one time. Was that money spent making the lives of the average citizen better? Of course not. It was sucked back to the rich and powerful through massive tax cuts that benefited mostly the rich and powerful, because the rich and powerful decide where the money goes. It's not their fault. How else do you expect them to act?

I had this conversation many times when it came to NASA and the money spent on space exploration. "What do I care if someone lands a little camera on Mars. Those billions will feed a lot of people!" No, those billions would be spent the way the rich and powerful decide, and that never includes feeding the millions of hungry.
  • chanrattchanratt Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Al Qaida exists, I can say that much.
    How do you know?
    i think Al Qaida did exist. many reformed Al Qaida who have gone through training camps etc have written books on "The Base" and been interviewed on it. I think even OBL mentioned it in his interview with the very reputable Robert Fisk from the Independent. I'm sure that there has been a lot of lying and conspiracy but this isnt one of the IMO

• AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    I want to hear physical, first-hand evidence from a civilian in the war zones that there is a powerful Al Qaida that is truly a threat. Otherwise it is just as likely to be propaganda as anything else. A friend of mine from Egypt is sure that the CIA started their protests that kicked their ruler.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    Any body watch the movie "Wag the Dog"?

[synopsis: After being caught in a scandalous situation days before the election, the president does not seem to have much of a chance of being re-elected. One of his advisers contacts a top Hollywood producer in order to manufacture a war in Albania that the president can heroically end, all through mass media.]

Yeah, it was just a movie but really, the powers that be own CNN and other news media... Anything seen on them should be subject to at least a little skepticism.

I also recommend the book "Point of Departure"

In this book, Robin Cook, former British Foreign Secretary and former Leader of the British House of Commons, exposes many of the lies committed by the British and US Government's in reguards to the suspected "weapons of mass destruction" debacle and other operations.

Mind you it is a rather extremely boring book to read (not sure how I managed to get through it all), but very eye opening.

Also, Cook described Al-Qaida as a product of a western miscalculation, in a 2005 newspaper column ("The Guardian" http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2005/jul/08/july7.development)

"Bin Laden was, though, a product of a monumental miscalculation by western security agencies. Throughout the 80s he was armed by the CIA and funded by the Saudis to wage jihad against the Russian occupation of Afghanistan. Al-Qaida, literally "the database", was originally the computer file of the thousands of mujahideen who were recruited and trained with help from the CIA to defeat the Russians."
  • Wanna talk about terrorist let's mention AGENT ORANGE. Haha I'm just saying
    ...and depleted uranium weapons, and torture.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    middle path between conspiracy theories and nationalism
    I want to hear physical, first-hand evidence from a civilian in the war zones that there is a powerful Al Qaida that is truly a threat. Otherwise it is just as likely to be propaganda as anything else. A friend of mine from Egypt is sure that the CIA started their protests that kicked their ruler.
    Amelia, that's what my adopted Pakistani friends ALL said...that the CIA executred 911. How come you believe the enemy's propaganda?
  • I want to hear physical, first-hand evidence from a civilian in the war zones that there is a powerful Al Qaida that is truly a threat. Otherwise it is just as likely to be propaganda as anything else. A friend of mine from Egypt is sure that the CIA started their protests that kicked their ruler.
    Several points:

1. Does it really matter if such a thing as al Qaeda exists? If it does, it's nothing but a bunch (probably a small bunch) of fanatical people who want to kill other people for very obscure reasons that they themselves probably would have a hard time stating coherently.

2. Whether "al Qaeda" exists or not, the end result for the world is the same. There *are* people around the world whose aim it is to cause suffering and death ("terror") to others in furtherance of some cause or other. Some of them target people close to where they live, and some target people far away. But lots of bombs have gone off, and lots of people have died. Not sure how much more evidence you require on that.

3. Physical evidence? Of what, an association between like-minded people? Doesn't exist. It's not like there's an al Qaeda uniform or a military headquarters building we could capture. The lack of physical evidence doesn't in any way mean that such an association doesn't exist. It's just not something that lends itself to producing physical evidence.

4. Lots of people in lots of places are just sure the CIA is behind all kinds of nefarious things. Having spent some time working in the US intelligence establishment, I can state for a fact that the CIA is nowhere near that capable. The times they have tried things like that, it's *always* come back to bite them, usually very quickly. The coup d'etat in Iran in 1953 is a perfect example. Everybody knew right off that the CIA was behind it, and it backfired in a huge way. Read a book called "Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA" by Tim Weiner. You'll believe a lot less conspiracy theories about the CIA when you realize how incompetent they are as a general rule.

5. Even *if* the CIA had been behind the uprising in Egypt (which I can't see any possible way it was), why is getting rid of a despotic dictator a bad thing? If I were the CIA, and I had pulled off such a wondrous feat, I'd be plastering billboards all over the place proclaiming my success at getting rid of Mubarak. Did anyone in Egypt like the man? And why is it so hard to believe that the Egyptian people (and the Algerian people, and the Syrian people, etc, etc) are perfectly capable of rising up against despotic leaders and changing things? I don't get that. It's an insult to her own countrymen.
  • In the end, no one outside of the intelligence agencies really knows the truth. They can't (or won't) make the information available. All we can really do is try our best to make informed decisions and participate in the democratic process, if that is possible.
  • The cost of any WAR is INCALCULABLE.
    Lives (human and otherwise), resources, wounded souls/spirits, karma... etc.
    Has anyone here read “The Kingdom of God is Within You?”
    I'm with Tolstoy.

From our earliest and most influential years, most of us have been thoroughly conditioned - by governments - to think in the “us” vs. “them” nationalistic, team mentality.
    Just look at how many times even Peaceful anti-war people here say “WE” are at war.

Please think about this:
    If a few folks from a neighboring town came to the town you live in, murdered some people, broke some stuff, and ran back to the other town; would you then think it makes any sense at all to go over to that other town (and maybe even a few more: you know, as “preventative” measures) and start shooting and bombing people and whole neighborhoods - butchering men and women, the elderly, children and their pets, their farm animals, blowing up buildings and bridges, and then FORCING EVERYBODY there to use the same kind of town government you and your neighbors are used to - the one you might even think is best for you?

I AM NOT AT WAR. (Maybe you are.)

PLEASE JOIN ME in learning to stop saying “WE ARE AT WAR.”
    Let's please learn to start calling it what it really is: “THE GOVERNMENTS ARE (again) AT WAR.”

“That government does not represent them anymore than this evil government represents me.”

PLEASE END THE fill in the blank WAR NOW!

War is the health of the state. You cannot have a nanny state without a police state. You cannot have a welfare state without a warfare state. Its all part of the same evil machine.

I've had enough.
    I no longer vote in ANY national elections. I refuse to be part of it.
    “Don't ask me to the party – I won’t be around.”
    very :(
  • Correction:
    Don't ask me to THAT party – I won't be around.
  • jlljll Veteran
    Al Qaeda has how many members? To send the US army against them is counter-productive. If money (the kind of money spent on the wars ie $1 bil a day according to Joseph Stiglitz) was spent to help build schools & hospitals in poor muslim countries, Al Qaeda will lose its most powerful weapon; propaganda.
    The cost of any WAR is INCALCULABLE.
    Lives (human and otherwise), resources, wounded souls/spirits, karma... etc.
    Has anyone here read “The Kingdom of God is Within You?”
    I'm with Tolstoy.

From our earliest and most influential years, most of us have been thoroughly conditioned - by governments - to think in the “us” vs. “them” nationalistic, team mentality.
    Just look at how many times even Peaceful anti-war people here say “WE” are at war.

Please think about this:
    If a few folks from a neighboring town came to the town you live in, murdered some people, broke some stuff, and ran back to the other town; would you then think it makes any sense at all to go over to that other town (and maybe even a few more: you know, as “preventative” measures) and start shooting and bombing people and whole neighborhoods - butchering men and women, the elderly, children and their pets, their farm animals, blowing up buildings and bridges, and then FORCING EVERYBODY there to use the same kind of town government you and your neighbors are used to - the one you might even think is best for you?

I AM NOT AT WAR. (Maybe you are.)

PLEASE JOIN ME in learning to stop saying “WE ARE AT WAR.”
    Let's please learn to start calling it what it really is: “THE GOVERNMENTS ARE (again) AT WAR.”

“That government does not represent them anymore than this evil government represents me.”

PLEASE END THE fill in the blank WAR NOW!

War is the health of the state. You cannot have a nanny state without a police state. You cannot have a welfare state without a warfare state. Its all part of the same evil machine.

I've had enough.
    I no longer vote in ANY national elections. I refuse to be part of it.
    “Don't ask me to the party – I won’t be around.”
    very :(
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi All,

For those who believe the official story about who Osama Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda are, please take a look at this well-researched and well-presented alternative view:

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Hi Jeffrey,
    middle path between conspiracy theories and nationalism
    By definition, everyone who believes that the planes crashed into the world trade center in a co-ordinated attack (regardless of who we may believe was actually behind those attacks) is a "conspiracy theorist". If you believe the Official 9/11 Commission Report then you are a "conspiracy theorist".

The only difference is that some conspiracy theories are backed by much more convincing evidence than others.

Perhaps what you really mean when you say the "middle path between conspiracy theories and nationalism" is "the middle path between questioning the official account and believing the official account". The truth is not a compromise, no matter how ugly it may actually be. Don't be afraid to question those in positions of power - we live in a free society, don't we?

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Vinlyn,
    Amelia, that's what my adopted Pakistani friends ALL said...that the CIA executred 911. How come you believe the enemy's propaganda?
    So anyone who questions or forms an opinion contrary to what is shown on the mainstream media in the USA is "the enemy", in your opinion? That's quite revealing.

Metta,

Guy
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Hi All,

For those who believe the official story about who Osama Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda are, please take a look at this well-researched and well-presented alternative view:

Metta,

Guy
    I'll go so far as to say that the spectre of Al Queda and terrorism was dressed up to seem more menacing in order to justify military action. However the evidence in the video is entirely speculation and heresay.

It says that the Bin Laden family is powerful and influential and that maybe they didn't entirely abandon Osama. It also says the CIA funded Bin Laden in the resistance to the Soviets in Afghanistan. These aren't shocking facts but they're presented in a way to make them seem so.

Then it presents the words of an ex CIA station chief expressing caution about assigning guilt to the mastermind of 9/11 in the week after the attacks. Then the commentator brings out the usual list of complaints and conspiracy theories about US government black ops and the 'mainstream' media.

I don't trust that what the government says are the straight facts, anything that comes out of a high ranking politician or government agency is usually highly spun and agenda driven. Personally, I don't think that means that there's a sinister shadow conspiracy to control the masses and take away our freedoms though. I'm not sold.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Person,

I didn't mean (nor did Mr. Corbett, I assume) for the above video to be taken as irrefutable evidence that the "War on Terror" is a hoax, but, at the very least, it should raise some questions for those who believe the official story about 9/11 and the "War on Terror". There are many holes in the official story.

Here is some more "concrete" evidence which goes against the Official 9/11 Commission Report from "Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth":

Metta,

Guy
  • Conspiracy theories are, to my mind, more about the basic insecurity of the people who spin them than they are about actual conspiracies. Think of all the complex conspiracy theories that have been put forward - has any one of them actually been true? And the ones that *were* true were far from grand black conspiracies by shadow government entities - they were put over on us by the people we see every day on TV, and whom we (allegedly) elected to office. I speak mainly of the Iraq war and the putative weapons of mass destruction that precipitated that invasion and occupation. Yes, that was a conspiracy all right, but it was far from black. It was conducted in full view of the cameras in broad daylight - and most Americans still swallowed it, hook, line, and sinker despite the fact that it was patently obvious that every word that came from every mouth involved was 100% lies. Bald faced, pre-meditated lies. But we saw it on CNN and Fox, so it must be true, right?

People who live in constant fear live lives that breed this sort of basic need for some shadowy figure to lord over their lives. Otherwise they'd be forced to admit that life is basically just unsatisfying, and they'd have to look for another path toward relieving the suffering that comes from that unsatisfactoriness.

Huh... I think I may be onto something there! :)
  • Don't be afraid to question those in positions of power - we live in a free society, don't we?

As they should be, most people are very afraid to question things, and now is a good time to start getting over that fear. If they don't start question now, do they think things will magically start getting better?
    What are we leaving to our children?
    Start questioning BEFORE it is too late.

I'd say, no we don't live in a free society, but I think I should start a separate thread for that.

Peace.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Oh, gosh we got truthers EVERYWHERE! JUST GO AWAY! You are just as bad as birthers.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Mountains,
    Conspiracy theories are, to my mind, more about the basic insecurity of the people who spin them than they are about actual conspiracies.
    Claiming that you perceive people as insecure because they believe something different to what you believe does nothing to refute the evidence.

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Oh, gosh we got truthers EVERYWHERE! JUST GO AWAY! You are just as bad as birthers.
    Name-calling/ridicule/dismissal does not refute evidence.
  • Claiming that you perceive people as insecure because they believe something different to what you believe does nothing to refute the evidence.
    My point is, no one has ever come up with any "evidence" that stands up.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Hi Mountains,
    Claiming that you perceive people as insecure because they believe something different to what you believe does nothing to refute the evidence.
    What about the evidence shown and discussed in the Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth video I posted above?

Did you even watch it before commenting?

If so, please tell me precisely what is wrong with the evidence and/or logic provided in the video.

Metta,

Guy
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited July 2011
    It's called SCIENCE!!!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military/news/1227842
    http://scienceblogs.com/confessions/2011/05/from_the_archives_debunking.php

This is what truthers actually believe:
    Hi Vinlyn,
    So anyone who questions or forms an opinion contrary to what is shown on the mainstream media in the USA is "the enemy", in your opinion? That's quite revealing.

Metta,

Guy
    No Guy. Don't play that trick in a debate. Read what I said again.

There is propaganda by the U.S. No doubt about it. But there is just as much propaganda by the various terrorist networks. I have a healthy skepticism of all propaganda. But when -- without conflicting evidence -- I have to choose between believing the propaganda of my own country or that of Osama Bin Laden, I'll believe what comes out of my government...again with that healthy skepticism.

NO WHERE DID I SAY THAT SOMEONE WHO BELIEVE WHAT THE ENEMY SAYS IS ALSO AN ENEMY.

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    NO WHERE DID I SAY THAT SOMEONE WHO BELIEVE WHAT THE ENEMY SAYS IS ALSO AN ENEMY.
    Who do you define as "the enemy"?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Hi B5C,
    http://scienceblogs.com/confessions/2011/05/from_the_archives_debunking.php
    One of the claims of this website is that the book (which admittedly I haven't read yet) which it is advertising disproves "That WTC 7's collapse was also the result of a controlled demolition".

If it didn't collapse due to a controlled demolition then why does Larry Silverstein (the lease-holder; a man who made a lot of money from the insurance pay out of 9/11) himself claim that the buildings were "pulled" (which means demolished):

This is what truthers actually believe:
    Also, please don't paint "truthers" with a broad-brush. Instead, disprove the evidence I have presented which goes against the Official 9/11 Commission Report.

I do not blindly support all views held by all people who you might put under the umbrella of "truthers". Instead, I look at the evidence and see where it leads.

Metta,

Guy
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Yes, your evidence just plan sucks. Just like Creationist evidence and flat earth society evidence.

I can see that you ignored the scientific evidence I have shown to you.

"WTC 7 Collapse
    Claim: Seven hours after the two towers fell, the 47-story WTC 7 collapsed. According to 911review.org: "The video clearly shows that it was not a collapse subsequent to a fire, but rather a controlled demolition: amongst the Internet investigators, the jury is in on this one."

FACT: Many conspiracy theorists point to FEMA's preliminary report, which said there was relatively light damage to WTC 7 prior to its collapse. With the benefit of more time and resources, NIST researchers now support the working hypothesis that WTC 7 was far more compromised by falling debris than the FEMA report indicated. "The most important thing we found was that there was, in fact, physical damage to the south face of building 7," NIST's Sunder tells PM. "On about a third of the face to the center and to the bottom—approximately 10 stories—about 25 percent of the depth of the building was scooped out." NIST also discovered previously undocumented damage to WTC 7's upper stories and its southwest corner.

NIST investigators believe a combination of intense fire and severe structural damage contributed to the collapse, though assigning the exact proportion requires more research. But NIST's analysis suggests the fall of WTC 7 was an example of "progressive collapse," a process in which the failure of parts of a structure ultimately creates strains that cause the entire building to come down. Videos of the fall of WTC 7 show cracks, or "kinks," in the building's facade just before the two penthouses disappeared into the structure, one after the other. The entire building fell in on itself, with the slumping east side of the structure pulling down the west side in a diagonal collapse.

According to NIST, there was one primary reason for the building's failure: In an unusual design, the columns near the visible kinks were carrying exceptionally large loads, roughly 2000 sq. ft. of floor area for each floor. "What our preliminary analysis has shown is that if you take out just one column on one of the lower floors," Sunder notes, "it could cause a vertical progression of collapse so that the entire section comes down."

There are two other possible contributing factors still under investigation: First, trusses on the fifth and seventh floors were designed to transfer loads from one set of columns to another. With columns on the south face apparently damaged, high stresses would likely have been communicated to columns on the building's other faces, thereby exceeding their load-bearing capacities.

Second, a fifth-floor fire burned for up to 7 hours. "There was no firefighting in WTC 7," Sunder says. Investigators believe the fire was fed by tanks of diesel fuel that many tenants used to run emergency generators. Most tanks throughout the building were fairly small, but a generator on the fifth floor was connected to a large tank in the basement via a pressurized line. Says Sunder: "Our current working hypothesis is that this pressurized line was supplying fuel [to the fire] for a long period of time."

WTC 7 might have withstood the physical damage it received, or the fire that burned for hours, but those combined factors—along with the building's unusual construction—were enough to set off the chain-reaction collapse.

"

I am off to see some fireworks for the holiday.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Hi Vinlyn,
    There is propaganda by the U.S. No doubt about it. But there is just as much propaganda by the various terrorist networks. I have a healthy skepticism of all propaganda. But when -- without conflicting evidence -- I have to choose between believing the propaganda of my own country or that of Osama Bin Laden, I'll believe what comes out of my government...again with that healthy skepticism.
    If you make your choice about which propaganda to believe on the arbitrary basis of which country it comes from, then, if you grew up in Nazi Germany, wouldn't that mean you would "choose" to believe the propaganda of the Nazi controlled media?

Anyway, the propaganda which Americans are exposed to through the mainstream media is not "American propaganda" - it is "FOX Propaganda" or "CNN Propaganda", etc. Since when do corporations represent (the interests of) entire countries?

Instead of believing propaganda from one side or another, why not learn to see through it?

Metta,

Guy
    Sorry Guy. I don't get involved in useless conversations with people who turn out to be conspiracy thinkers.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited July 2011
    @vinlyn

you are disregarding someone just because of a conspiracy theory?
    they have their point; it seems more like a demolition.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi B5C,
    Yes, your evidence just plan sucks. Just like Creationist evidence and flat earth society evidence.
    If the evidence provided in the Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth video I posted here sucks, then please explain exactly how and why it sucks. Which exact points do you disagree with?
    I can see that you ignored the scientific evidence I have shown to you.
    I just looked at it now. Have you looked at the scientific evidence which I have shown you?

I have some questions about some of the claims of the debunking article which I will address here tomorrow.
    I am off to see some fireworks for the holiday.
    Happy Independence Day!

Metta,

Guy
    @vinlyn

Yes, been down that road too many times.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Hi Vinlyn,
    Sorry Guy. I don't get involved in useless conversations with people who turn out to be conspiracy thinkers.
    In what way is it a useless conversation?

Perhaps I drew the wrong conclusion about your statement regarding "the enemy" - for that I apologize. I admit that I could have used more skilful speech regarding this. This topic is clearly something which evokes some emotion on both sides - that is perfectly natural - presumably none of us involved in this discussion are Enlightened. Perhaps I was speaking from emotion. Can we start over and engage in respectful dialog?

"An error doesn't become a mistake until you refuse to correct it"

- Orlando A. Battista

Having attempted to correct my error can you please forgive me and grant me the honor and privilege of engaging in respectful dialog with you?

If I was wrong, then could you please correct me by clearly defining who "the enemy" is so I can clearly understand where you are coming from.

Just because we may have differing opinions doesn't mean we have nothing to gain from communicating - on the contrary - if we agreed about 9/11 then we would have nothing to gain from communicating.

At the end of the day, we are all Buddhists, we are all kind, loving, truth-seeking people. So can't we talk about issues which matter to us?

Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    Hi Vinlyn,
    @vinlyn

Yes, been down that road too many times.
    I admit, some "conspiracy theories" (and even some of the claims and speculations regarding 9/11) are really bizarre and arguably just plain crazy. But instead of dismissing everything that comes under the blanket term of "conspiracy theory" (which, as I pointed out earlier, by definition, includes the official account of the way the events transpired on 9/11) why not look at the evidence (from men and women from all walks of life - including architects, structural engineers, demolition experts, pilots, firefighters, eye-witnesses, etc.) which goes against the official story.

If, after examining the evidence it doesn't provoke any further questions in your mind, then fine. But, if 9/11 and the consequences of 9/11 are important to you, if discovering the truth (no matter where it might lead you) is important to you, then, wouldn't you want to at least give the evidence the time of day? Whatever conclusions you draw from the evidence I have provided is up to you. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Metta,

Guy