Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Abortion

ClayTheScribeClayTheScribe Veteran
edited August 2011 in Buddhism Today
What does everyone think of abortion from a Buddhist standpoint and this article?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/buddhism/buddhistethics/abortion.shtml

Comments

• There is a life in the womb. So, I do think it is breaking one of the 5 precepts.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    edited August 2011
    I think that abortion is personal. I also think that everybody is intense about their views on it.

Personally, I would have to say the fetus is living from the point of fertilization. That fertilized egg will become a sentient being. A sperm is not living because it will not. An egg will not. Yet with union it will. The best thing we can define life (at the current time) as is the potential of sentience.

I'm not stubborn in view because I don't think it's any of my business. I'll make the decision with my lover and no one else.
  • if there is a very grave genetical defect, it is acceptable... it must be done ASAP if the decision was made.
    both the mother and father should have a saying (probably with a "family" doctor as third voter).
  • life doesn't happen in leaps or bounds.
  • When does the foetus suffer?

Probably not when its 8 cells....
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    i think no woman should be forced to have a child and there are instances in which fertilization was not the choice of the woman.

i don't have sex with men, so i really can't speak to the intricacies of heterosexual relationships and why a woman might have an abortion due to plain old irresponsible behavior. so honestly, i don't know if i would ever have one. i do however, believe in providing the choice. and you can be damn sure that i would if i was raped.

i also wonder... at what point does a fetus become sentient? i imagine it would take some time, but i have no idea how long exactly. the sperm apparently doesn't even break through the egg for at least 72 hours since plan b/ru486 is effective up until then. but that isn't exactly the same as abortion.
  • "at what point does a fetus become sentient?"

sometimes, it is barely sentient 21 years after birth...
  • The views on abortion in the conversations I've had with Buddhists tend to match the culture and social class of the person. On the whole, we're a liberal bunch. I'd say the most common attitude is that abortion is a tragedy, but that the answer is not turning the woman or doctor into criminals.

As for the question of "when does human life begin" Buddhism would point to the question being nonsense. Life, including human life, is a process with no real beginning and ending. You can't point to one particular place in time and say, "Wait for it...all right, NOW the fetus is a human being!" But it allows people to argue endlessly over irrelevant details instead of just helping the woman.
  • "Life, including human life, is a process with no real beginning and ending."

more than that, it is an imponderable...
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Imo, the writer of the article sounds like they learned their view of Buddhism from Dramma Wheel, Bhikkhu Bodhi and other similar hysterical moralists.

At least the author had the good sense to include a wise quote from the Dalai Lama.

As for the framework used which defines "killing", this comes from the monk's Vinaya and is applicable to monks.

Many of the reincarnation rationales are illogical because if one believes in reincarnation then one believes the aborted "soul" will immediately find a new body.

Now, according to ultimate reality, the Buddha taught suffering is not physical pain. The Buddha taught suffering is attachment, which is to regard things as "I", "me" & "mine". The Buddha also taught (in MN 64) that a new born infant does not have any notions of "I", "me" & "mine". In MN 64, the Buddha taught a new born infant does not have any "self-identity view". Thus, a new born infant does not actually suffer, even though it may appear to because its nervous system experiences pain.

So, in the end, the karma of abortion falls upon the doer of the abortion. The karmic consequences will be influenced by the intention.

Generally, the intentions of a woman are not frivilous, such as like when a hunter hunts animals for sport, or malicous, such as when a robber murders a victim for money.

So, imo, the enlightened way is to examine causes & conditions. Thus one can look upon these matters with a heart of compassion & be ready to offer forgiveness.

Kind regards

:)
    Regarding abortion, people argue until they are red in the face whether it is right or wrong, without investigating to discover in which cases it is suitable and which not. Once we follow the natural principles of the Buddhist way of reasoning, each situation will show us when it is appropriate and when not. Please stop insisting on one-sided positions.

http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books5/Bhikkhu_Buddhadasa_Help_The_Kalama_Sutta_Help.htm

edited August 2011
    Further, the Buddha did not use the word 'sentient beings'.

The first precepts of the Buddha is not to kill 'breathing' beings.

Now a foetus in a mother's womb does not breathe, according to the internet.

Whilst I am certainly not attempting to encourage abortion, I am just pointing out the contrived rationales of many "Buddhists".

They just make it up as they go along :-/
    Q: "I am wondering how the baby breathes while in the amniotic fluid? How can the baby breathe in water?"

A: Many people ponder this, as I get this question from time to time. The answer is: he/she doesn’t. A baby’s first breath usually happens at birth when he begins to cry. While in the womb, his lungs are filled with fluid and are not involved in supplying oxygen to his body. Baby gets his oxygen from the mother, via the umbilical cord. He also gets his nutrients from mother the same way. This is why it is important that a pregnant mother eats healthy food and breathes healthy air (i.e. don’t smoke).

Dr. Jim

http://www.askdrsears.com/content/how-does-baby-breathe-while-amniotic-fluid
    more

http://www.livestrong.com/article/27084-babies-breathe-womb/

http://health.howstuffworks.com/pregnancy-and-parenting/pregnancy/fetal-development/adam-200109.htm

:coffee:
  • Further, the Buddha did not use the word 'sentient beings'.

The first precepts of the Buddha is not to kill 'breathing' beings.
    @Dhamma Dhatu I think the term "sentient" is used because it makes more sense, Dharmically, than breathing. Suffering is a property of experience, not respiration.

Also, as you know, it's a mistaken to speak of what specific terms the Buddha used as we just don't know - for numrous reasons.

He might have said sentient, breathing, walking and eating beings.....

Suffering is the key to a right view on abortion, but I think you agree with this.

Namaste
    edited August 2011
    @Dhamma Dhatu I think the term "sentient" is used because it makes more sense, Dharmically, than breathing. Suffering is a property of experience, not respiration.

Also, as you know, it's a mistaken to speak of what specific terms the Buddha used as we just don't know - for numrous reasons.

He might have said sentient, breathing, walking and eating beings.....

Suffering is the key to a right view on abortion, but I think you agree with this.
    The Buddha knew what he was teachings about, when he used the term 'breathing beings'. You seem to be declaring you know better than the Buddha.

You think 'sentient' makes sense because of your misunderstanding.

Now, you are not here to put words in DD's mouth. Contrary to your presumption, the Dhamma has been transmitted from the Buddha's words since his death by sincere practitioners. It is chanted everyday:

Pāṇātipātā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi

Pāṇā = breathe

The Budddha did not say what you think he "might" have said. The Buddha said:

The key to abortion is the woman has the potential to suffer.

The key to dhamma is suffering is best avoided but suffering can also be overcome after it arises.

The key to dhamma is to not mistake the essential for the unessential.

Now, you are being "flexible" about what the Buddha spoke but being inflexible about abortion, which is based on intention.

Both the Dalai Lama in the article and Bhikkhu Buddhadasa disagree with what appears to be your rigid viewpoint.

Because your mind appears to resist the 1st Noble Truth, it gives the impression your mind is yet to realise the 1st Noble Truth

Kind regards

11. Those who mistake the unessential to be essential and the essential to be unessential, dwelling in wrong thoughts, never arrive at the essential.

12. Those who know the essential to be essential and the unessential to be unessential, dwelling in right thoughts, do arrive at the essential.

Dhammapada

edited August 2011
    When does the foetus suffer?

Probably not when its 8 cells....
    The Buddha taught suffering is attachment, which is to regard things as "I", "me" and "mine".

When does the unenlightened puthujjana comprehend this reality? :scratch:
    "at what point does a fetus become sentient?"

sometimes, it is barely sentient 21 years after birth...
    Indeed. Sentient means "to feel"; "to be conscious".

In AN 3.61, the Buddha taught: "For those who feel, I teach the 4NTs".

So when the mind is not yet fully sentient, the 4NTs are not realised.

Instead, the mind just spinning around in discursive thoughts.

Kind regards :)
    "Here, ruler of gods, a bhikkhu has heard that nothing is worth adhering to. When a bhikkhu has heard that nothing is worth adhering to, he directly knows everything; having directly known everything, he fully understands everything; having directly known everything, he fully understood everything, whatever feeling he feels, whether pleasant or painful or neither pleasant or painful, he abides contemplating (observing) impermanence in those feelings, contemplating (observing) fading away, contemplating (observing) cessation, contemplating (observing) relinquishment (letting go). Contemplating (observing) thus, he does not cling (think about) to anything in the world. When he does not cling (think about), he is not agitated, he personally attains Nibbana. He understands: ‘Birth is destroyed, the holy life has been lived, there is no more coming to any state of being.’ Briefly, it is in this way, ruler of gods, that a bhikkhu is liberated in the destruction of craving, one who has reached the ultimate end, the ultimate security from bondage, the ultimate holy life, the ultimate goal, one who is foremost among gods and humans.

MN 37
    To one experiencing feeling I declare, 'This is stress.' I declare, 'This is the origination of stress.' I declare, 'This is the cessation of stress.' I declare, 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.'

AN 3.61

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an03/an03.061.than.html
    Sentience is the ability to feel, perceive or be conscious, or to have subjective experiences. Eighteenth century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to think ("reason") from the ability to feel ("sentience").

• The Buddha knew what he was teachings about, when he used the term 'breathing beings'. You seem to be declaring you know better than the Buddha.
    Not at all, I am saying that we don't know what the Buddha said in a sense clear enough to establish the kind of certainty and authority you are claiming.

>>You think 'sentient' makes sense because of your misunderstanding.

Maybe I am. Still, I can see how suffering is caused and its relation to experience. I don't see any relevance to breathing. Breathing sees trivial to me, sentience, seems essential.

>>>Now, you are not here to put words in DD's mouth. Contrary to your presumption, the Dhamma has been transmitted from the Buddha's words since his death by sincere practitioners.

I disagree.

>>>The Budddha did not say what you think he "might" have said. The Buddha said...

We do not know what the Buddha said. We just know what it was recoded that he said many years, miles and dialects removed from his death.

Anyways, let's not get into another debate on semantics and authenticity. We have both made our points and like all points, they are different.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I think abortion is wrong, but there are exceptions (rape, health of the mother, etc.). But that's my opinion, and I don't try to force that opinion on anyone, and don't think there should be laws to force a particular viewpoint, other than that abortion on whim should not be allowed.
  • I think it should be like a parking ticket. You get to abort the baby but you have to pay a ticket.

Just kidding but that does point to criticism of abortion as birth control. Seriously I think its bad karma to have an abortion but its also bad karma to treat a kid poorly that you bring into the world without being ready. As far as legality I think it should be safe and legal.
    edited August 2011
    We have both made our points and like all points, they are different.
    Indeed.

That is why you need to refain from using the word "we" in the situations when you should be instead using the word "I".

Your views are your opinion and not those of the collective.

If you have not taken confident faithful refuge in the Dhamma, which is 1/3 of the Tripe Gem, you are not really a Buddhist.

Your views thus become "your views" (which you are free to hold and express) rather than anything really connected to Buddhism.

• I don't try to force that opinion on anyone...
    I hope so, because the Buddha said:

This means "I undertake the training to refrain from killing living (breathing) things"

It is a voluntary training rule for those who have made the personal decision to take refuge in the Buddha, Dhamma & Sangha

It applies to Buddhists

• "Life begins at the moment of conception. This has indeed been proven by much scientific and medical research. As the Father of Modern Genetics, Dr. Jerome Lejeune has stated, "To accept the fact that after fertilization has taken place a new human has come into being is no longer a matter of taste or opinion…it is plain experimental evidence" (When does life begin?). From this point on, every developmental stage is just part of the whole life process. From zygote to fetus and eventually to who we are today, are all stages in human life. Not one part means not living"

http://www.uky.edu/Classes/PHI/305.002/fd.htm
    edited August 2011
    Seriously I think its bad karma to have an abortion but its also bad karma to treat a kid poorly that you bring into the world without being ready.
    Indeed.

A woman that has an abortion is generally not the same as a serial killer, a soldier in war or a hunter at play.

Generally, a woman is not having abortions over & over & over again.

Generally, it is a "one-off" event, that has its learning impact.

When children & teenagers run amok in society, rioting, looting & vandelising, the same hysterical moralists complain: "Don't these children have any parents! What are their parents doing!" The facts are these children do not really have any 'real' parents.

So nothing satisfies these hysterical moralists, because they do not examine causes & conditions with wisdom.

Having a child is a lifelong responsibility, commitment & also burden. Sometimes, a woman feels she is not ready; that she does not have the suitable conditions.

This is not the same as going to Iraq and shooting up some innocent Iraqis.

Kind regards :)

• @zidangus

Buddhism is concerned with suffering rather than 'life' per se.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited August 2011
    "What were the Buddha's views on abortion?

Practicing Buddhists observe the five precepts as a foundation for the moral life that spiritual progress requires. The first of these precepts is to "refrain from destroying living creatures." Because Theravada Buddhism regards human life as beginning at the moment of conception,[1] killing a fetus implies killing a human being, making abortion patently incompatible with the first precept.

One indication of the seriousness with which the Buddha regarded abortion is found in the Vinaya, the collection of texts that define the conduct and duties of Buddhist monastics. According to the Vinaya, if a bhikkhu or bhikkhuni should facilitate an abortion, or if a woman should get an abortion based on their recommendation, then that bhikkhu or bhikkhuni is immediately expelled from the Sangha, having broken one of the four cardinal rules of monastic conduct.[2]"

[1]According to the Pali texts, conception occurs when three things are simultaneously present: the mother (i.e., a fertile egg), the father (a sperm cell), and the gandhabba (the kammic energy of the being that is seeking rebirth). If all three successfully coincide, human consciousness arises in the fertilized ovum and rebirth occurs. For a description of this process, see the Mahatanhasankhaya Sutta (MN 38). See Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of this sutta (along with helpful footnotes) in "The Middle Length Discourse of the Buddha" (Boston: Wisdom Publications, 1995).

[2]This rule (Parajika #3), which applies equally to bhikkhunis as well as bhikkhus, states:
    Should any bhikkhu [or bhikkhuni] intentionally deprive a human being of life, or search for an assassin for him, or praise the advantages of death, or incite him to die (thus): "My good man, what use is this wretched, miserable life to you? Death would be better for you than life," or with such an idea in mind, such a purpose in mind, should in various ways praise the advantages of death or incite him to die, he [she] also is defeated and no longer in communion.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bullitt/bfaq.html#abortion
    edited August 2011
    @zidangus

i have already covered the issues mentioned in your quote, namely:

(1) practicing Buddhists observe the five precepts

(2) the Vinaya defines the conduct and duties of Buddhist monastics

• zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited August 2011
    No probs @DhammaDhatu just highlighting what you said then. :)
    We have both made our points and like all points, they are different.
    Indeed.

That is why you need to refain from using the word "we" in the situations when you should be instead using the word "I".

Your views are your opinion and not those of the collective.

If you have not taken confident faithful refuge in the Dhamma, which is 1/3 of the Tripe Gem, you are not really a Buddhist.

Your views thus become "your views" (which you are free to hold and express) rather than anything really connected to Buddhism.

Thickpaper using the term "we" was inappropriate.

You dictating who is Buddhist is also inappropriate.

edited August 2011
    OK...i dismiss what is written the Buddhist scriptures but I call myself a "Buddhist"...

like the Buddha did not really teach the Four Noble Truths as reported in the scriptures

like...the Buddha may not even have spoken the 4NTs at all...it is just a later invention

like...the man called "Buddha" may not even have walked the earth

but...wait..."i am a Buddhist!"

makes alot of sense...hah..? :scratch:

Thickpaper gave the impression of not comprehendeding the 4NTs when inferring a foetus suffers

Thickpaper appears caught in the web of personality views & soul (atman) doctines

OK...i dismiss what is written the Buddhist scriptures but I call myself a "Buddhist"...

like the Buddha did not really teach the Four Noble Truths as reported in the scriptures

like...the Buddha may not even have spoken the 4NTs at all...it is just a later invention

like...the man called "Buddha" may not even have walked the earth

but...wait..."i am a Buddhist!"

makes alot of sense...hah..? :scratch:

Thickpaper gave the impression of not comprehendeding the 4NTs when inferring a foetus suffers

Thickpaper appears caught in the web of personality views & soul (atman) doctines

I don't necessarily disagree with your definition of a Buddhist. I object to you laying down the law that, "If you have not taken confident faithful refuge in the Dhamma, which is 1/3 of the Tripe Gem, you are not really a Buddhist." Who gave you the authority?

If you had tempered your statement by saying something along the lines of, "To me..." or "In my view...", then I would not have commented...well, maybe I would have, but in a more mild way.

I mean, think of it, first you criticize the poster for saying "we", then you turn around and sound as if you are speaking for Buddhism. In my view -- and note, it's just my opinion -- that's a bit of ego speaking.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Ok now for a moment of peace. Breath in breath out and feel your body. Feel the tension settle down.
    edited August 2011
    In my view -- and note, it's just my opinion -- that's a bit of ego speaking.
    Non-sequitur. Buddhism teaches the mouth speaks, conditioned by vitaka & vicara

Just like Thickpaper, its seems 'soul' (atman) theory is clouding the discussion

:wtf:
  • Sakyamuni Buddha have already spoken the growth of feotuses on the "The Difficulty of repaying parent's kindness Sutra". By the time when the feotus gets to 4th month, it's getting pretty "dodgy" to abort, because the feotus is already taken a basic human form. By the time it gets to 5-6th month, most of the organs and the 5 skandhas are formed! Whether you like it or, it definetly killing.

Now it lets all be honest, how many abortions out there are because of rape and not because frivilous and irresponsible sex?

Buddhism talks about how difficult to gain a human life, how would you like it if you get aborted?
  • We cannot know what terms the Buddha used for anything, this is refutable but unrefuted fact.

It would be very easy to come up with evidence that refuted this fact, but currently that seems very unlikley.

We have this wondeful yard stick to test which things seem likley to have been taught directly by the buddha and which are not.

Often these are moot points and imponderables, but I think with the case of Abortion its a very serious moral issue for buddhists and non Buddhists, hence why picked up @Dhamma Dhatu when he spoke with claimed authority.

I think it is possible to come up with a clear, kind and wise answer to the abortion issues by simple appeal to the Anchient law, in order to do this I can see that the qualitative property of experience, negative and positive, needs to be brought in; Karmically I can see why sentience is important to a Dhammic answer to the abortion questions.

I do not see how this can be done with "respiration," hence I maintain that it is a poor and misleading interpretation of The Dharma that the Buddha discovered and taught.

If anyone can show me why breathing is more important to this issue than feeling, then I am mistaken.

be nice.

• My thoughts on abortion are that I have no opinion really. It is of no concern to me. I'll always side with women having the legal right to chose abortion, but from a moral standpoint I honestly could not care less.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    my personal opinion is that it is okay to be pro-choice but not pro-abortion (because really, i don't think anyone is PRO-abortion). this means, my views on abortion itself are not really so much the issue, but i do believe that women should have the choice for a safe procedure. i don't think there should be any negative karma from this perspective, seeing as, even without legal abortion... a woman could always find a way to get the job done, and indeed, they did in the past.

@Jeffrey
    btw, it rather is like a parking ticket because abortions are very expensive.

i'm curious to hear what some of those on this board have to say about this story:
    someone i know personally had an abortion not too long ago. she had just recently had her IUD(intrauterine device, it's a form of birth control that they put in your uterine) taken out. long story short, she became pregnant not too long after and decided to have an abortion. when she went to have the procedure done, the doctors were shocked to find that there was a mistake made when she had the IUD taken out. the doctor didn't take out everything and there was still a piece of it left over. the doctors said that had she not gotten an abortion, the IUD more than likely would have pierced the amniotic sac and more than likely would have killed the fetus, possibly even putting the mother's life at risk. if this didn't happen and the baby managed to be born, it was likely that because of the hormones in the IUD, it would have been born with severe problems.

i thought this was rather interesting. i know she had some grief over the decision, but after she found all that out, i think she was rather just shocked. to me, i think it was the right decision, although she didn't know all of the details initially.
    edited August 2011
    We cannot know what terms the Buddha used for anything, this is refutable but unrefuted fact.
    so then why bother with Buddhism, if you doubt everything that is taught?
    We have this wondeful yard stick to test which things seem likley to have been taught directly by the buddha and which are not.
    Sure, meditation experience. But it won't help you with the term 'sentient'
    Abortion its a very serious moral issue for buddhists and non Buddhists, hence why picked up @Dhamma Dhatu when he spoke with claimed authority.
    Why? How?

Did the Buddha teach specifically about abortion? If not, then how could he have regarded it as a very serious moral issue for buddhists?

Do Buddhists regularly have abortions? Buddhists practise the 3rd precept. Why would abortion be a serious moral issue for one practising the 3rd precept?

As I said in my original post, this issue is a serious issue for hysterical moralists.

Dhamma Dhatu spoke with authority by citing the Lord Buddha directly.

Further, Dhamma Dhatu said clearly they were not promoting or encouraging abortion.

Dhamma Dhatu simply was removing the emotional hysteria by when we assume a foetus is suffering.

The teachings of the Lord Buddha clearly infer a foetus does not suffer.

The Buddha said clearly (in MN 64) a foetus does not have any thoughts of "I", "me" and "mine". Thus a foetus cannot suffer.

But a woman that has an abortion can suffer, when she thinks: "My baby, my baby, where have you gone?" :bawl:
    I think it is possible to come up with a clear, kind and wise answer to the abortion issues by simple appeal to the Anchient law, in order to do this I can see that the qualitative property of experience, negative and positive, needs to be brought in; Karmically I can see why sentience is important to a Dhammic answer to the abortion questions.
    This thread contains links to answers to abortion by the Dalai Lama and Bhikkhu Buddhadasa. These are wise and clear answers.

What exactly is this "Ancient Law" you are referring to?

In Buddhism, the Four Noble Truths is not "Ancient Law".

Karmically, abortion is negative to the woman unless her intention dissolves the negativity.

The Buddha said: "Karma is intention".

Both the Dalai Lama and Bhikkhu Buddhadasa focused on intention

But Thickpaper seems to be focusing on moral hysteria & outrage.
    I do not see how this can be done with "respiration," hence I maintain that it is a poor and misleading interpretation of The Dharma that the Buddha discovered and taught.
    I posted it to challenge your ordinary thinking. But it seems like you do not want to give up your laziness; you do not want to give up coming up with an automatic unreflective answer.
    If anyone can show me why breathing is more important to this issue than feeling, then I am mistaken.
    You are not mistaken. However, "breathing" takes you out of your safety zone. "Breathing" challenges your attachment to rigid views.

Again, I am not promoting abortion. But because the foetus does not breath, this means it remain part of the body of the woman and is inseparable from her.

This is why abortion does not fall simply & easily within moral rationale.

With niceless

DD :)

edited August 2011
    Regarding abortion, people argue until they are red in the face whether it is right or wrong, without investigating to discover in which cases it is suitable and which not. Once we follow the natural principles of the Buddhist way of reasoning, each situation will show us when it is appropriate and when not. Please stop insisting on one-sided positions.
    Of course, abortion, from a Buddhist viewpoint, is an act of killing and is negative, generally speaking. But it depends on the circumstances.

If the unborn child will be retarded or if the birth will create serious problems for the parent, these are cases where there can be an exception. I think abortion should be approved or disapproved according to each circumstance.

Dalai Lama, New York Times, 28/11/1993

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited August 2011

This means "I undertake the training to refrain from killing living (breathing) things"
    Clearly a foetus is a living thing, regardless of your definition of breathing.

Therefore, according to the precepts at least, abortion is not recommended.

• so then why bother with Buddhism, if you doubt everything that is taught?
    Because most of what I try to doubt cannot be doubted. Eg

I cannot doubt, no matter how hard I try, that: The Four Noble Truths are True and that the Kind and Honest action is right action.

I can doubt, not trying that hard, that: This is one life of many and one should not sit on a high chair.

>>>Sure, meditation experience. But it won't help you with the term 'sentient'

Ummm "Sentient" means capable of having qualitative experiences. This makes sense to the abortion issue in a way that "capable of breathing" doesn't.

>>>>Did the Buddha teach specifically about abortion?

We do not know. Nor is it relevant. The Buddha gave us the tool kit for answering any moral/mental/spiritual question.

>>>Dhamma Dhatu spoke with authority by citing the Lord Buddha directly.

I do not believe this is possible for anyone to do.

>>>What exactly is this "Ancient Law" you are referring to?

Karma, baby, Karma.

>>>In Buddhism, the Four Noble Truths is not "Ancient Law".

It is to me.

>>>The Buddha said: "Karma is intention".

Karma is action and intention. It is a many layered concept that stretches from the purely causal (interdependent causation) to the highly arisen (kindness, love, hate, dishonesty....)

>>>Both the Dalai Lama and Bhikkhu Buddhadasa focused on intention

I do not see them as authorities on Dharma. Excellent and enlightened guides, perhaps, but not authorities. IMO, There is no authority on Dharma, there is just The Dharma.

edited August 2011
    I cannot doubt, no matter how hard I try, that: The Four Noble Truths are True...
    Non-sequitur.

"Kind and Honest action" is not the Four Noble Truths.

The Four Noble Truths are about suffering & it cessation.

I have mentioned this many times already.

The 1st Noble Truth states, in summary, suffering is attachment.

The foetus does not have the mental capacity to give rise to attachment.

The Buddha advised in MN 64 that 'self-view' does not exist in a new born infant, let alone foetus.

Your misunderstanding comes from believing a "self" is reborn from one life to another and in the foetus there is a "self" or "person".
    This is one life of many and one should not sit on a high chair....
    Non-sequitur, again

Unrelated to the 4NTs. Just more speculative superstition.

Penetrating the 4NTs is awakening (rather than a 'high chair').

The Buddha taught if one does not have unshakeable conviction in the Tathagata and has not realised the 4NTs, it is life wasted.

• Clearly a foetus is a living thing, regardless of your definition of breathing. Therefore, according to the precepts at least, abortion is not recommended.
    Possibly. But I have not anywhere in this thread recommended abortion. :-/
  • It is wrong to kill a life, but a woman in that situation usually has no choice, otherwise she wouldn't. Most people who go through abortions have no real pain releif and effectively go through most of labour. For those who experience surgical abortion post-op pain releif is poor too.

There are many good reasons to go through that: rape, unsuitable life/lifestyle, unsuitable circumstances, mother's health, baby's health, etc.

I would never, ever judge somebody for going through that or considering it. I certainly agree that abortion should be legal and safe. I also think that blood pregnancy tests should be more available so that people who are pregnant can find out ASAP and have an abortion earlier rather than later.

I guess I am arguing from the 'common sense' approach, but I think its kinda Buddism based?
  • PS. As for reincarnation: surely it would be better to die in the womb and find a new life before you have broken any of the precepts etc, than to die after being bad to others and not having the chance to redeem yourself?
  • "Kind and Honest action" is not the Four Noble Truths.
    I disagree absolutely, it is embodied in the Forth Truth and explained by the dependent origination that connects and establishes the Third Truth.

>>>The Four Noble Truths are about suffering & it cessation.

They are about the entire scope of experience, not just suffering and trying to stop suffering, but happiness, joy, positivity and how and why they should be cultivated.

Let us not forget the Sukkha when we battle the Dukka.

>>>Your misunderstanding comes from believing a "self" is reborn from one life to another and in the foetus there is a "self" or "person".

I think you are deeply mistaken on what my view is. All i can assure you is that it is unimportant.

>>>The Buddha taught if one does not have unshakeable conviction in the Tathagata and has not realised the 4NTs, it is life wasted.

I agree with that. My conviction in The Dharma is unshakable.

As is my conviction that no school we have today as Buddhism is identical to that which was taught by the Buddha.

• Again, I am not promoting abortion. But because the foetus does not breath, this means it remain part of the body of the woman and is inseparable from her.
    Right there ^^^

In my opinion, "buddhism" should keep its face out of issues like this. It's a woman's decision what she does with her own body. If a woman wants to take into account her personal religious beliefs while making her personal decision on whether or not to carry and give birth to a child, then good. But, no religious institution has the right to dictate the "rightness or wrongness" of the decision being made.

It's hard enough for a woman having to suffer such a loss. If anything, it is the duty of "buddhism" and all other religions to serve as emotional support for those women who have had to make the difficult decision of aborting their unborn child for whatever reasons that may have influenced that decision.

Of course, I do feel that governmental authority should assert a time frame in which such a decision can be made based on the lung development of the growing faetus. Also, education for women regarding proper contraception use should be given great attention in schools and from the girl's parents. It's a shame that the potential for human life must be extinguished due to poor planning or irresponsible behavior, not that the woman or newborn child should suffer unduly due to these sorts of circumstances.

In regards to "what would Buddha say?" Who the F cares? He died a long time ago. Maybe we should use our own wisdom and commonsense when it comes to these kinds of contemporary social issues, that were obviously not as prevelant 3000 years ago. In my opinion, the Buddha would have said the same thing.

In regards to "what would Buddha say?" Who the F cares? He died a long time ago. Maybe we should use our own wisdom and commonsense when it comes to these kinds of contemporary social issues, that were obviously not as prevelant 3000 years ago. In my opinion, the Buddha would have said the same thing.
    I don't much care what DD says. He's free to interpret Buddhist sources as he wishes, and he is awfully knowledgeable...though -- in my humble view -- sometimes very wrong with his views and the way he states them. Fair enough. We laymen are allowed to have differing views.

But your above paragraph is worded unskillfully to begin with, totally inappropriate on a Buddhist website, and -- if that's the way you feel -- I'd question why you even participate in a Buddhist website. Buddha's teachings can be applied to virtually all aspects of modern life, with the understanding that it is we who may do the incorrect interpretation.

• You're entitled to your opinion. I don't think the suttas have all the answers, and that was what I was trying to express. If the Buddha was living today I am certain he would have a very wise and appropriate answer for dealing with these types of issues, but he isn't so we're stuck working it out on our own as best we can. I'm not saying that what the Buddha says is not of concern, I'm saying that arguing about what he might say or might have said is pure conjecture and doesnt really resolve anything.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    ...I'm not saying that what the Buddha says is not of concern, ...
    I am.
    We have to make our own decisions.
    Grow up, for crying out loud!
    edited August 2011
    I disagree absolutely, it is embodied in the Forth Truth and explained by the dependent origination that connects and establishes the Third Truth.
    Morality is not the essence of the Noble Truths.

The fact that you avoid the core issue of "self-view" shows missing the essence.

Good luck :)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2011
    ...I'm not saying that what the Buddha says is not of concern, ...
    I am.
    We have to make our own decisions.
    Grow up, for crying out loud!
    Unfortunately, many times our decisions are based from notions tied to afflictive emotions, so its usually wise to consider closely the words of someone who is clear seeing. "Growing up" doesn't mean growing wise or compassionate.

I hope most of us would agree that our view of the women who feel abortion is the option to take would ideally be rooted in wisdom and compassion.