Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Guns

zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifelessin a dry wasteland Veteran
edited July 2011 in General Banter
I had a blast over the 4th of July holiday and a big part of that included the time spent with my uncle and cousins, shooting their guns. I hadn't shot one in probably over 15 years, the last time being with my grandpa. He has since passed away and it seemed rather fitting to be reliving this experience over the holiday, as the 3rd of July was the day he died so he was especially present in our minds.

So, anyways, it turns out I had even more fun than I remembered. My uncle let me shoot a few of his .22 rifles and I am surprisingly quite good (I'm giving credit to all of my first person shooter zombie video games). The second time around, after I figured out the discrepancy in his scope, I was able to hit the bulls-eye and knock all three cans off the top of the bale of hay we were using for target practice.

The experience made me realize why people take such joy in shooting guns. I would go as far as to say that I am even considering taking classes, but this does beg a question. What exactly would be the point of such an endeavor? Holding the weapon in my hand, I gained a great respect for the destructive power of the device. I enjoyed knocking a soup can off, but I, of course, have no desire to go hunting and shoot an animal. Would taking classes, possibly even buying a gun, all just so that I can go to a shooting range, be a pointless endeavor?

Naturally, true to my name, I was reading a novel about a zombie apocalypse last night and I found myself thinking, "If this happened, I would be pissed if I never improved my aim." Sure, it's a ridiculous and unlikely example, but the point remains, perhaps it is a skill worth pursuing?

I find myself curious how many other Buddhists take joy in shooting guns and why. I have thought in the past that it could be smart to get a concealed weapons permit and carry a gun for protection. But even though I live in Detroit, this seems a little paranoid. I think most people seem to say that people with guns are more likely to get shot. Thoughts?

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I own a hammer. It is a very good hammer. I have had it for decades. I have practiced with the hammer -- which I might easily use to kill one or more of my neighbors. I don't consider it especially 'fun' to use the hammer, but I can imagine situations in which it might be. It is a good tool and I try to use it with skill...not always with success.

I see nothing wrong with practicing and becoming skillful with tools. A gun is a tool whose use is up to the operator. It can be fun, it can be serious, it deserves care. Guns carry with them a mythology which I doubt if any serious gun owner subscribes to. The serious gun owner is responsible and attentive, never overstepping the boundaries required by the instrument.

Yes, you could commit murder. Yes, you could commit suicide. Yes, you could make a serious mistake. And also ... yes, you could become proficient at shooting targets or, if necessary, hunting to feed your family.

I don't own any firearms, but when my kids were little, I took them to a firing range to practice shooting ... to get over the mythology of television or mere activists pro or con. I wanted them to feel the weight, hear the sound, smell the smell, realize how hard it might be to hit a target, understand how time consuming it is to load a clip, get reprimanded by a range officer who had more experience than they had. None of them owns any weapons and none has turned into a serial killer ... yet. :)
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    there are people in japan who study and practice archery as a means of attaining zen mind.

i went to school in the D and had no problems, though i had heard many stories about people getting robbed.

at the end of the day a gun is a just a gun. it's all in how you use it. i personally like throwing darts at a wall.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    You could always shoot skeet for sport.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    You can never be too prepared for the zombie apocalypse imo. :zombie:

Shooting a gun for sport or entertainment I suppose would be no better or worse than any other hobby. Personally I wouldn't want to carry a gun around or have one in the house. I believe the stats are that its more likely to have an accidental shooting in a house with a gun than it is to have an intruder assualt you in your home.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    Honestly this is the serious reason why I would own a gun. Not that I really believe in the possibility of zombies (logically it doesn't make any sense) but if it ever happened it would really help to have a gun. In reality I would only want to use it for self-defense but I would NEVER want to kill somebody with it. Since zombies are dead this wouldn't be a problem!
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @genkaku excellent points!

@taiyaki i've never been robbed either, but i know many people who have been. i think a gun would make me feel more powerful, but in reality, i wouldn't want to shoot anyone and i think that if i was to pull a gun for self defense, it would make it more likely that i would get shot in rebuttal. i'm probably better off with pepper spray for self defense.

@vinlyn that's actually a really good suggestion. that could be quite challenging.
    Honestly this is the serious reason why I would own a gun. Not that I really believe in the possibility of zombies (logically it doesn't make any sense) but if it ever happened it would really help to have a gun. In reality I would only want to use it for self-defense but I would NEVER want to kill somebody with it. Since zombies are dead this wouldn't be a problem!
    haha, this is the reason i don't like games like call of duty or halo. i don't want to kill people or other players...but zombies are just fine. (well, i should mention that the nazi zombie mode in call of duty is sort of like, doubly okay)

i'm aware the zombie apocalypse is ridiculous, but you know, the CDC (Center for Disease Control) is prepared, why can't i be? Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse

but it's not like i'm out there building the zombie proof house ...even if it is sweet.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited July 2011
    It's not a pointless endeavor. Guns are for killing people, hopefully to protect yourself or another person (maybe even your family). I've seen and been to some violent parts of the world in my life, so I can tell you that in some cases guns are definitely useful. But it really depends on your living situation and where you live. Some places have higher crime than others.

For example, if I lived in Mexico right now I would *definitely take up arms. I would also carry a concealed piece with me in public. It's like the wild west out there, you never know when you would need to take out your gun to defend yourself in Mexico.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I love pounding in nails. I have never shot a gun, but your ok as long as you don't end up in the army!
  • @zombiegirl- you say a gun would make you feel more powerful. What would be the point of that? Isn't that just another attachment?

Taiyaki beat me to the suggestion about archery as a form of meditation. It's cheaper and has less of a potential for harm.

I admit that looking at a gun, holding it, and shooting it is fascinating, but, in the end, guns are for killing. I don't know what I as a Buddhist would do in an apocalyptic scenario, whether I would kill to defend myself or not- I know I would kill to defend my loved ones- but an apocalyptic scenario still seems a few years off.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @zombiegirl- you say a gun would make you feel more powerful. What would be the point of that? Isn't that just another attachment?
    i'm not sure of that. an example of the scenario in my mind could be when you are forced to walk somewhere at night. i meant 'powerful' as a contrast to 'helpless'. i could have just as easily said 'safer'
    Speaking of guns, I saw what I felt was a somewhat offensive bumper sticker a few minutes ago. "But a gun -- piss off a liberal" I'm mildly anti-gun, but why does any American do something for the purpose of pissing off a fellow citizen. Neanderthal.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    machismo
  • You could always shoot skeet for sport.
    Save the skeets!!

• Speaking of guns, I saw what I felt was a somewhat offensive bumper sticker a few minutes ago. "Buy a gun -- piss off a liberal" I'm mildly anti-gun, but why does any American do something for the purpose of pissing off a fellow citizen. Neanderthal.
    Welcome to America... Where we've taken juvenile name-calling behavior to a professional level in every level of society. The words "liberal" and "progressive" are used as pejoratives in this country by a large segment of the population.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Z-G, I LOVE target shooting, and also archery! I've been into archery since I was a kid. And Tibetans, Bhutanese and Mongols all love archery and guns. You're in good Buddhist company. Go for it, and enjoy!
    @Daikini
    you know, i had bad experiences with archery when i was younger... getting whapped with the bow strings and whatnot. i think these memories make it seem somewhat off putting to me, but perhaps i should give it another shot. is it an expensive sport to start? i mean, cost of bows aside, are arrows expensive and do they need to be replaced often?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Arrows never need to be replaced unless you REALLY miss the target and the arrows goes off into the bushes, or something. Assuming you don't need one of those high-tech hunting bows, a bow isn't expensive either. You just need a straw target (they make round ones the size of a standard archery target) . Archery is quieter and more meditative than shooting, which is nice. But if you like blowing little paper targets to bits with a gun, or knocking tin cans off a fence, then go for that! It's all good--I like both. :) I would think skeet shooting would be fun, too, if you can ever manage to get a good enough aim to hit a small moving tartet like that. Enjoy!

Oh, and you're supposed to wear a leather wrist guard and finger guards to protect you from the twang of the bowstring.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    what the heck is a skeet? when I was in cubscouts camping a coupla times they asked if we wanted to go skeet hunting. Never saw a skeet.
    what the heck is a skeet? when I was in cubscouts camping a coupla times they asked if we wanted to go skeet hunting. Never saw a skeet.
    If you're aseriously asking, it's a "clay" disc, sometimes called a pidgeon or a "skeet". It is projected out of a low tower, usually when the shooter calls, "Pull!" The object is to shoot it and make it crumble in the air. It's typically a competition.

• Speaking of guns, I saw what I felt was a somewhat offensive bumper sticker a few minutes ago. "But a gun -- piss off a liberal" I'm mildly anti-gun, but why does any American do something for the purpose of pissing off a fellow citizen. Neanderthal.
    Heh. I'm a liberal. And I own guns. That'd probably piss off the driver of that car!
  • ...Not that I'd necessarily _want_ to tick off that driver, but it irks me when I see people being that deliberately provocative. There's no need for it.

I was talking to a friend I made on the commuter bus; he's a conservative, likes (but is not a member of) the Tea Party, and he was surprised that I own guns. I think we need more dialogue between people of different views, less yelling. I'm glad we can talk and understand each other, even if we don't agree at the end of the discussion.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Most conservative gun-owning liberal bashers are surprised that not only do many liberals own guns and enjoy shooting, but that we don't have horns or a forked tail.

As long as we simply cast aspersions at "them" and don't see "them" as exactly like "us", only with different opinions on things (most of which don't really matter much anyway), we'll have division and strife. Once we see that "they" are just "us" with different thought patterns, we'd all get along just fine. But it's easier for a lot of people to just keep demonizing "them" because they're not "us".

• edited August 2011
    @Mountains

If we saw 'they' are just 'us'- some people would appreciate the idea! But it's useless to look at things only systematically. As lawful creatures we can appreciate the divisions of people, but we're also egocentric. As such anything or anybody that does not serve our interests becomes an obstacle.

The gun is the ultimate symbol of power, especially where diplomacy fails. It's not just that we're all different, but different in ways that counts*, and it all adds up or boils down to one common denominator (or sometimes a few different things). :/
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Apparently there are monks with guns in Thailand !!

http://www.utne.com/GreatWriting/Monks-with-Guns-Buddhist.aspx

:D:) :-/ :eek2: :eek: :hair: :werr: :pirate: :zombie: :sawed:
  • Last year I finally passed down my twenty gauge shotgun to my grandson, whose father has taught him to shoot and is now old enough to appreciate and take care of it and own a gun safely. The gun was given to my by my Uncle, back when I was about 12 and desperately needed a father figure in my life. We spent many wonderful weekends hunting.

I've always thought it funny that people throw a fit about guns and Buddhism, and even some forms of the precepts say "no dealing in guns", but see no problem with using martial arts, archery or even swordplay as a physical and mental Zen practice. When I took the precepts I stopped hunting, but that doesn't mean I go around telling other people hunting and fishing are evil. It's just not something I enjoy doing now, so why do it?
  • I agree Cinorjer. For much the same reason, I've gotten rid of all my fishing equipment. I was never a hunter, but I used to be quite an avid fisherman. I just don't see any joy in causing suffering to a fish, especially if it's for "sport". But I don't even like to fish for food. I'd rather buy fish from someone else (and yes, I do eat and enjoy fish).
  • Why limit the reason to zombie related apocalypse? In today's troubled world there are many other much more likely concerns about society falling that don't involve zombies, but do involve police states, military dictatorships and chaos in the street. I think there is nothing wrong with responsible gun ownership. As has been stated, its just a tool, and its what it's user does with it that determines good or evil.

P.S. A .22, wile fun for target practice makes a terrible terrible self defense weapon. The bullet is so tiny it does minimal damage. Wile nobody likes to be shot, I have seen a friend unload 10+ rounds from a .22 into a possum and the poor creature didn't die until it eventually bled out. Oh, and before anyone feels to bad for the possum, it had to be put out because it was eating the kittens that had just been born on there farm. So yeah, .22 = no stopping power

P.P.S Bow's are great for killing zombies! They are much quieter then a gun, so they draw less agro from the hoard!