Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anyone know about "Zen forum international"?

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited December 2010 in General Banter
Does anyone know about this forum, its quality history and so forth? It looks pretty good.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Not sure about much of the history, but it has not been up for very long. Quality-wise it is up to the task, traffic-wise it is slow.
  • edited November 2009
    All that i know is that "Zen forum international" was made in response to the banning of a group of western zen monks and masters from E-sangha.
    I seems there has been some controversies on E-sangha which resulted in the banning of these zen monks - I dont know what happpened on E-sangha, but as far is i now, it should be the main reason why "ZFI" whas born - and someone tells me that a Theravada forum was formed for the same reasons.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Does anyone know about this forum, its quality history and so forth? It looks pretty good.

Zen Forum International

A forum like any other really.
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Richard,

I think as allanstevns said, it was started because of problems for Zen practitioners at E-sangha. I don't know much about the ins and outs of E-sangha myself, other than reading E-sangha Watch and E-sangha Alert and knowing that the site isn't operating at the moment. If sites get really huge with thousands of members, then its probably likely that problems of some kind or another will occur eventually.

It's worth remembering that ZFI is a tradition specific forum with Zen priests and long-term Zen practitioners, and so unless one is posting in the areas for other traditions, then the Zen view is the one that prevails.
    If you accept that then its fine.

Kind regards,

Dazzle
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Not just Zen, but a particular take on Zen which will not be helpful to everyone. But then I suppose that is true of most Sanghas cyber or otherwise. Ven Nonin is very experienced and solid, some contributors a little less so...
    edited December 2009
    Dazzle wrote: »

It's worth remembering that ZFI is a tradition specific forum with Zen priests and long-term Zen practitioners, and so unless one is posting in the areas for other traditions, then the Zen view is the one that prevails.
    If you accept that then its fine.

Kind regards,

Dazzle

Hello Dazzle

If I may supplement, dear friend _/\_

My understanding is that yes there are different sections, for example Tibetan, Theravadan but also a general Dhamma section, Coffee Lounge etc

As such all viewpoints and explorations should, I imagine, be possible. And not be limited by a particular way or presentation (at least I hope so!)

Also, as a Zen student, I find great resonance in all genuine traditions and teachings, so am heartened by the beauty of all different practitioners.

Naturally, I am only one there, but there are a diverse group there and thus that I hope acceptance is the standard MO. It is a positive group at the moment.

And at least, mutual discussion and discovery is oft a pleasure, at least I think so!

I for one enjoy different perspectives and presentations of practice as the resonance I mentioned above is truly beautiful.

Season's Greetings and New Year Blessings, always :)

Abu
  • edited December 2009
    Hello Abu dear,

I'm sorry if my post might have seemed a little negative to you - it definately wasn't intended that way, I'm sure lots of people get many benefits from ZFI.

Kind wishes and a very happy and peaceful New Year to you, my friend, and to all at New Buddhist

Dazzle
    edited December 2009
    Dazzle wrote: »
    Hello Abu dear,

I'm sorry if my post might have seemed a little negative to you - it definately wasn't intended that way, I'm sure lots of people get many benefits from ZFI.

Kind wishes and a very happy and peaceful New Year to you, my friend, and to all at New Buddhist

Dazzle

Not at all, I may even be inclined to agree, but thought I'd just offer that perspective.

Forums are just forums.

Thankyou for your good wishes, may it all be returned to you manifold.

Goodness and peace, friend.

Blessings always.

_/\_
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2010
    There is a dialogue between two members on ZFI currently under the heading "Friends" which is painfully well meaning but also one of the unintentionally funniest things I have read on a Buddhist Forum. I think the moral is, none of us should try to teach prematurely. Discussion and mutual learning is one thing, teaching quite another.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I don't see any explicit teaching going on there. I agree, it looks painful, though.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Been posting on and off for a while there. Had some good exhanges and some very helpful and intelligent replies. Good folks with a good attitude. It is interesting though how a different forum environment brings out different aspects of ones thinking. After investigating numerous fora New Buddhist and the Zen forum seem to compliment day to day practice for me. I only started going online like this last year and am just figuring out how to do it.

Just checked out a forum that was at one point quite interesting then when downhill, "Buddhist Community" . It has devolved into a haunted house of vicious trolling.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    I don't see any explicit teaching going on there. I agree, it looks painful, though.

I was reminded of the joke about the two deaf men on a train,
    One says " Is this Wembley ?"
    The other replies
    " No , its thursday "
    The first man then says
    " So am I, lets get out and have a drink".

But yes there are some good people on ZFI, as well as people who have watched too many Kung Fu movies. Or who confuse Krishnamurti with Buddhism.
    Nonin knows what he is talking about. And his rhyming fellow mod Shonin is always worth reading.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Citta wrote: »
    I was reminded of the joke about the two deaf men on a train,
    One says " Is this Wembley ?"
    The other replies
    " No , its thursday "
    The first man then says
    " So am I, lets get out and have a drink".

But yes there are some good people on ZFI, as well as people who have watched too many Kung Fu movies. Or who confuse Krishnamurti with Buddhism.
    Nonin knows what he is talking about. And his rhyming fellow mod Shonin is always worth reading.

It is after all just a forum with different people, but just as there are folks on this forum who are confused about the Dharma, and people who are clearly deeply experienced in practice, so it is with that forum. So it is with every forum. Do you post there? Why dont you openly express your view. See what people say. I had critisism of this site and expressed them and found the responses clarifying and helpful.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Zen Forum International came into being after the collapse of E-sangha, which was apparently brought to its knees by a hacker and never rejuvenated. Dhammawheel was created slightly earlier than ZFI.

But even before its demise at the hands of the hacker, E-sangha had been increasingly, uhh, 'moderated' by a contingent that increasingly shut others out with a righteous view of Buddhism. I always thought that the hacker might have been reacting to that well-educated, selective virtuousness when s/he pressed his/her little red button.

A lot of good words were lost.
  • edited November 2010
    People actually try to gauge the "quality" of a web community? How about judging for yourself?

Maybe some people do come to these forums and "swallow up" the advice of older posters, or more respectable posters (whatever that might mean)...but even the Buddha would advise against all of that I think.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    At first I thought you meant http://www.zenguide.com/forum/

Which to all apearances is some insane wobbling poets if not buddhists!
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Yea.
    It's a good forum, but not as busy as this one.
    edited December 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    At first I thought you meant http://www.zenguide.com/forum/

Which to all apearances is some insane wobbling poets if not buddhists!

It has a few great gems...
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited November 2011
    I have heard a very different interpretation of events....which involved not hacking but self sabotage....but whatever the truth its unlikely to be provable now.
    Zen Forum International came into being after the collapse of E-sangha, which was apparently brought to its knees by a hacker and never rejuvenated. Dhammawheel was created slightly earlier than ZFI.

But even before its demise at the hands of the hacker, E-sangha had been increasingly, uhh, 'moderated' by a contingent that increasingly shut others out with a righteous view of Buddhism. I always thought that the hacker might have been reacting to that well-educated, selective virtuousness when s/he pressed his/her little red button.

A lot of good words were lost.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    I can't believe they didn't have a backup of their database, but then perhaps it was just e-sangha's time to go.
  • I've taken a look at Zenforum, and recommend it to Zennies. They seem like a nice bunch.
  • I'm on ZFI, even though I don't practice Zen, but I have found the traffic too slow for my personality - I'm not very patient. I've quite a few friends on the site, which seems very balanced and sensible to me.
  • ZFI deletes posts that challenge the sensibilities and emotions of the moderating team. But if you toe the line and look at them as the experts and authorities on Zen, then it is a fine place to hang out perhaps? :D
  • An interesting development on ZFI, following a long debate a group who insist that a teacher is not necessary in Zen were given their own subforum.
    So far it would appear that their bluff has been comprehensively called...after an initial rush of mutual satisfaction at having been given their head...they appear to have little useful to say..
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Six of one, a half dozen of another. For as long as there is little or no willingness to assure who or what the "teacher" is (and I'm not talking about those with 'authentic' credentials), for that long exactly there will be commentaries and confusion. Teacher or no teacher -- pick your poison.
  • I am not taking sides in the debate...although I have my own view.
    I am just pointing out that having lobbied for a long time to have a non teacher position validated those who did the lobbying have nothing to say beyond general expressions of good will. Which may be a valid position, but hardly needs a forum or subforum to itself.
    The clear implication was that there would be a sharing of the fruits of practice. The actuality is simply a repeating of the fixed view that a teacher is unnecessary or even harmful.
    I suspect that many of them may not even practice...and certainly not Zazen..I might be wrong.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Its for cha'nnies and Zennies :)
  • I've PM'd a couple of those who practice without a teacher. They have a disciplined daily practice. One tried working with a teacher for awhile, but made such quick progress (going to the zendo nearly every day), that the teacher seemed to get jealous, or something. He became verbally abusive, and that abuse continued over a long time, so the student finally quit.

We shouldn't make assumptions about why people study and practice without a teacher. People have their reasons, and they're usually good ones.
  • Lots of members here practice on their own, for a variety of reasons, including a couple of the moderators. I don't see why this would be an issue.
  • edited December 2011
    There is another forum which is a newer Buddhist Forum that seems to be gaining popularity called Buddhism IS http://www.buddhismis.com however it seems to have attracted more advanced practitioners by the looks of it.
  • I've PM'd a couple of those who practice without a teacher. They have a disciplined daily practice. One tried working with a teacher for awhile, but made such quick progress (going to the zendo nearly every day), that the teacher seemed to get jealous, or something. He became verbally abusive, and that abuse continued over a long time, so the student finally quit.

We shouldn't make assumptions about why people study and practice without a teacher. People have their reasons, and they're usually good ones.
  • I am making no assumptions about the practice of all of the group.
    I am merely pointing out that having lobbied extensively for Zen practice without a teacher, and having as an " experiment " being given the opportunity to discuss that, the group of them are collectively simply engaged in meta discussion and mutual back slapping.
    I suspect that in part it is because most of them lack formal instruction and so lack the necessary vocabulary to discuss their practice...even to the degree that such things are discussable.
    This may not invalidate the experience, but it does pose huge problems in terms of public discussion.
    Personally I wouldnt take the " jealousy " story too seriously btw.
  • What is interesting to me is that group of western Buddhist are participating in a public experiment in practicing a form of Buddhist meditation without formal teaching.
    My own view is that a teacher is highly desirable in the practice of Zazen, and also in the practice of certain other disciplines like Vipassana. Whether a teacher in those spheres is essential is not clear. I suspect that it might be. I will therefore watch with interest to see how things pan out.
  • @Citta, just to clarify, "jealousy" was my interpretation of the behavior of the teacher, after hearing how things played out. Teachers are human, you know, anything can happen. In any case, the point is that the teacher suddenly became abusive after the student was quickly promoted to the status of assistant to the roshi. Things can go awry in the student-teacher relationship for any number of reasons.

Have you tried suggesting that people share the fruits of their practice? I think it's reasonable to assume that people would need some time to let off steam, after facing some negativity on the other thread. But the new one has been going for some weeks now, hasn't it? I need to check in with Zenforum more often, I'm out of the loop.
    Its for cha'nnies and Zennies :)
    There is a lot of Ch'nnies and Zennies here too!:)
  • edited December 2011
    What is interesting to me is that group of western Buddhist are participating in a public experiment in practicing a form of Buddhist meditation without formal teaching.
    My own view is that a teacher is highly desirable in the practice of Zazen, and also in the practice of certain other disciplines like Vipassana. Whether a teacher in those spheres is essential is not clear. I suspect that it might be. I will therefore watch with interest to see how things pan out.
    :p We know how things pan out with the guidance of a teacher. We know how things pan out with the [i]transmission[/i] of a teacher. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good, sometimes tragic, depending on the teacher, depending on the student... when the student is ready the teacher will appear, they say. What will appear when the student is not ready? wait, better question: what will appear when the teacher is not ready?
    What is interesting to me is that group of western Buddhist are participating in a public experiment in practicing a form of Buddhist meditation without formal teaching.
    :p We know how things pan out with the guidance of a teacher. We know how things pan out with the [i]transmission[/i] of a teacher. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good, sometimes tragic, depending on the teacher, depending on the student... when the student is ready the teacher will appear, they say. What will appear when the student is not ready? wait, better question: what will appear when the teacher is not ready?
    I have studied with a teacher before. Specifically, Zazen and I do want to say that for me, it is 50/50 when it comes to having a teacher. It could definitely be crucial and it could definitely be un-crucial. It depends where you are in your practice.
  • What is interesting to me is that group of western Buddhist are participating in a public experiment in practicing a form of Buddhist meditation without formal teaching.
  • You do ? Then you need consider the issue no more.
    I dont, so I will. Remind me, didnt you get banned fron ZFI ?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    ZFI deletes posts that challenge the sensibilities and emotions of the moderating team. But if you toe the line and look at them as the experts and authorities on Zen, then it is a fine place to hang out perhaps? :D
    Considering a Zen Master to be a authority on Zen, is towing the line? A person who has received official dharma transmission in the Zen tradition, is by definition an authority. :)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Lots of members here practice on their own, for a variety of reasons, including a couple of the moderators. I don't see why this would be an issue.
    Zen is a different tradition. The authority and teachings come personally from teachers as it is a tradition "that does not rest on words or letters but is a special transmission outside of the scriptures". The majority of teaching in Zen occurs directly from the teachers mind to the students mind via personal interaction and personal relationship with a teacher. Of course, without a teacher, that is not possible. Zen is a different tradition. :)

• That certainly accords to what I have taught Dakini.
  • Sorry that should read " what I have BEEN taught"
    That certainly accords to what I have taught Dakini.
  • edited December 2011
    You do ?
    Edio Shimano, Richard Baker, Dainin Katagiri, the big mind guy... some examples of what has panned out under the guidance of a teacher.
  • Clearly you have it all down , at least in your own eyes.
    I dont. I will therefore continue to observe the " experiment ".
    I would love another teacher who works with me one on one.
  • Edio Shimano, Richard Baker, Dainin Katagiri, the big mind guy... some examples of what has panned out under the guidance of a teacher.
    One more to add to the list:
    http://www.sltrib/home/51270057-76/merzel-zen-center-buddhist.html.csp

• Edio Shimano, Richard Baker, Dainin Katagiri, the big mind guy... some examples of what has panned out under the guidance of a teacher.
    One more to add to the list:
    http://www.sltrib/home/51270057-76/merzel-zen-center-buddhist.html.csp

• What of course we will not have is a list of the thousands of Zen students working happily with scores of Zen teachers....and who would not have it any other way.
  • Dakini, your link doesn't work for me
This discussion has been closed.