Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How long have you been learning about Buddhism?

edited March 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Since I am so very new the study and just finding these forum a few days ago. I am a little curious how long each of you has been learning about Buddhism, and a little about how you come study it (without being too personal or detailed).

To start things off, I have only been actively learning about it for about a month now. Though I have been tempted a few times in the past, I didn't know where to start. For me the journey started with a little video series on You Tube called Spirit Science and then I came across this audio book "Becoming Enlightened" in a book store. So far I found that all my life I have tried to lived by many of the concepts, unknowingly.
I am feeling very drawn to it, as I have always had difficulty understanding and accepting myself. I have not known anyone who knowingly studied, and have come across very few that (unknowingly) truly tried to follow Buddha's precepts. It has been very difficult journey and taken heavy toll on me to be surrounded by so much negativity, and no support system to help handle it. The more sour I became, more I would try to adjust my way of thinking to try and fit in with general society, which lead to the worse I felt about myself. I have at times truly believed I was just so out of the normal that I was crazy. The notion, I was crazy, had one very impactful instigator/supporter for a large portion of my life (and all of my kids lives).
So here I am learning about a way of living that apparently many other people are also learning/trying to live by as well. I am so grateful to have finally found it. I had been recovering slowly for a few years now, from that one person's influence, but in the short time I have starting studying Buddhism, I can not express how much better and lighter I feel. I have barely even began learning about Buddhism, much less start adjust my thinking and actively work towards a better more peaceful life.

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @MsJeni -- Good for you! Take your time. Try to be patient. Don't try to do everything by yesterday. Buddhism doesn't award any door prizes, but it does have some nice sur-prises.

I started snooping the spiritual adventure about 40 years ago. The trip, which began with Vedanta, slipped over into Zen Buddhism and I have been more or less stuck in that rut ever since. I am not inclined to say any one thing pushed me into action, but in general I guess it's OK to say that a sense of unsatisfactoriness made Buddhism appealing. Life was too edgy, too unassured and somehow too phoney.

At first I read a lot of books, went to lectures, visited temples and (very shyly) asked others what they knew. Then, at some point, I went to a Zen center, plopped my butt down on a meditation cushion and proceeded to serious-up a little. It's good to read and discuss and cogitate, but the meat and potatoes of Buddhism becomes alive with a personal effort (meditation among other things) that can seem pretty stupid to begin with ... how the hell can anyone solve problems by sitting on a cushion? :) No one can answer that question without actually giving it a patient and courageous try. Buddhism is not a threat-based persuasion: You won't go to heaven if you do it and you won't go to hell if you don't. So ... take your time, be patient and good luck.

:)

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Hi dear Jeni,

Welcome to the forum. And welcome to the Buddhist path ;) I hope you will walk it with us for a long time. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

I myself started with meditation about, say 7 years ago when I was still an innocent 18 year old young boy. ;) :P I started meditating because my thoughts were very active (constant talking inside my head). I wasn't very interested in Buddhism, but through that meditation my faith in Buddhism grew; first mainly in the practical side, to improve everyday life, handle emotions etc. I read some books, watched dhamma-talks on the internet. But the metaphysical concepts I didn't seriously start to study untill about 2/3 years ago.

Overall, I found this a really effective approach, because it was very much based on my own experience. By meditation, you learn that this path is really worth something. Also applying the precepts is a wonderful thing. Gradually it made me become more peaceful and happy. Also, my mind is way less chatty now (the reason I started this adventure). I now also know my place in the world. But I also still have lots to learn, but this will come with time.

Here is some advice I would like to give you:
    The entire Buddhist path stands or falls with meditation, it really is important. If you don't meditate yet, I would suggest buying a book on that, or starting a course or whatever.

Also, it will be very supportive to join a Buddhist group in your area, if there is one.

Over time this youtube channel inspired me a lot:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhistSocietyWA/videos

I hope you will will enjoy your path as much as I did mine.

With kindness,
    Sabre
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    One day I somehow came to the conclusion that "life is stupid" and set out to look for a way to make it "not stupid" if that would even be possible. :D Found Buddhism in a library book and that was that. That was about 20 years ago.
  • justsheajustshea Explorer
    About two years for me. Welcome. If I may recommend, Pema Chodran is very good to start study...I found that some of the Buddhist concepts were difficult to grasp by my 'western mind'.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Since my first visit to Thailand about 1985.
  • Hi darling!

I lost someone a year ago and death really does something to you. I'm 28 and it sort of taught me what was important in life. I had just spent 3 years studying the abrahamic faiths, Judaism, Christianity and Islam and had chosen islam...Buddhism is a practice for me as it is the only religion/philosophy that expands on meditation and present awareness not to mention on the HOW TO of the 4nt and 8 fold path.

I think I might be the only Muslim on the forum but I will be honest with you, this little forum has become home for me in the past month as everyone here is so lovey and kind. Not to mention, welcoming.

Eckhart tolle introduced me to mindfulness and that was in the fall of 2011. . . So I have only been here since January 2012.

@maarten ...thank you, btw!

Gave me this website and it has changed my life. It's free! Download audio dhrma and guided meditation mp3

http://newbuddhist.com/discussions

• http://www.audiodharma.org/talks/

Sorry the top one was wrong this is the right one
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2012
    My wife and I first took refuge on retreat together with Ajahn Viradhammo .... just after we were married in 1990. Prior to that we were doing the Advaita Vedanta thing. We took the precepts together in Zen (Son) Buddhism in 1997.
  • Welcome @MsJeni. :wave:

I started studying Buddhism out of interest about a year ago, but it was only just over three months ago that I really made my studies a daily priority along with meditation.

This forum is a really helpful place for a beginning practitioner, and the people here are wise and kind. You're in wonderful company here. :)
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I'm one of the oldies, too. Sometime about 1985 I took some Zen Meditation sessions in Florida, and between that and a brief trip to Korea, I've been a Zen Buddhist and Dharma Bum since then. All it means is, I have more baggage to carry around than someone with a fresh set of eyes.

• All it means is, I have more baggage to carry around than someone with a fresh set of eyes.
    ouch...

• All it means is, I have more baggage to carry around than someone with a fresh set of eyes.
    What does this mean?

ouch...

edited March 2012
    All it means is, I have more baggage to carry around than someone with a fresh set of eyes.
    What does this mean?

ouch...

It's been roughly twenty two years... and it took 18 of those, ...of anquish on the cushion, to realize how unbelievably f*cking simple it is.... just.

.....On the other hand.... cocky new people who think they "get it"... should know... "A miss is as good as mile"
  • @Richardh I will keep that in mind as I am brand spanking new.

:om:
  • There is a story I read a long time ago ..it was from Trungpa or someone..

It describes how there was a kid who had never met his father, and was always told by his mother to that the time was not right... Then one day she said she would take him to meet his father, but it would be a long journey.. They walked out the front door of their house and set off into the mountains. It was treacherous and freezing and they had to follow a razorback ridge. Then they descended into swamps and thick forest... and had to trek for miles... Finally they came to a mountain valley, and in the far distance there was a house. .... When they arrived at the house and entered, he realized it was the back door of his own house and his father was standing there all along.

There is a Middle Eastern saying (or so it is said) that goes ... God takes away your donkey, then lets you find it.

Some how the useless trip, the losing of the donkey...can't be skipped.

Anyway sorry for the really bad spiritual kitsch... but there is something to it... speaking as a hard case.
  • @Richardh so the journey is more important than the destination?
  • There is something to do... it requires commitment and discipline, and IMO guidance from a good teacher, and support of a sangha.... . Insight and inspiration isn't enough, neither is "getting it".. something has to be done down to the bones... it's physical.

IMHO

• @RichardH I like your thoughts here a lot, especially the physicality of practice. Practice is indeed rigorous, and yet the benefits we reap are enough to keep us returning to it, to keep us practicing despite the ups and downs we all inevitably face in our lives and on our individual journeys.
  • Looking back, I realize I've bee learning about Buddhism my whole life- just did't recognize it until about 5 years ago when I began reading and practice.
    What does this mean?

ouch...

It's been roughly twenty two years... and it took 18 of those, ...of anquish on the cushion, to realize how unbelievably f*cking simple it is.... just.

.....On the other hand.... cocky new people who think they "get it"... should know... "A miss is as good as mile"

Hopefully, I don't seem like one of those cocky new people that "get it". If I do let me assure you I don't, the world is a confusing mess to me, my life included. There are many things that I have read and listen, that I have always tried to follow in my life (not knowing it was a part of Buddhist teachings). However I get a sense I really know next to nothing, if anything at all. So maybe I should not post much input until I understand more about Buddhism? I don't want to be offensive to anyone.
  • Op! Don't be silly! Nothing you have written has been offensive.!

Silly goose!
  • seconded...!
  • @Richardh so the journey is more important than the destination?
    The journey is as important as the destination, yes. But it does matter where you end up at.

And @MsJeni, please don't feel shy when voicing your understanding. I have received the most remarkable, exciting, refreshing insights from people who had not yet got the idea that years of meditation and study are required to penetrate the great mysteries of the Dharma.

And I can only bow deeply to @RichardH. When I finally penetrated "One Hand Clapping" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. My only thought was, "You mean, that's it?? I did all that sitting and sweating and tied my mind into knots, and that's it?"

The simple can be almost impossible.

• I wouldn't describe myself at shy exactly, lol. :). Let's just call it trying to add to the conversation and be respectful to all those that have more wisdom that I do and my attempts to express that. It sometimes appears shy, but I am pretty seasoned to life. I thank you for these introductions. Hope to see more.
  • Hmm, not as long as the longest time but pretty close to some. I would say '85-'86? I was taking east asian humanities classes because that was all that was available to fill my credit requirements. Some of that hindsight and I would have focused on that and added an Asian language. So it has been there a long time but I didn't focus for long. I kept on coming back to meditation.

I honestly screw up a lot in this life still and if I am still doing this with 20+ years then never feel bad. There is a reason it is called practice.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I would say I've been learning about Buddhism for about two years.

Also, I think MsJeni, that this video would be very enlightening...

• @msjeni I have been studying for just a few months, and started out just like you, surfing utube videos. It was some Alan Watts stuff that caught my interest, and it wasn't till I made it through several videos that I realized that some of what he was sharing was based on Buddhism, which I was so clueless about, so I started learning what it was all about... I found a local sangha that I enjoy, and hopefully will find a teacher soon.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    ..... respectful to all those that have more wisdom that I do....
    hi @MsJeni....

Small point.....

There is no such thing as anyone having more wisdom than you.
    there are merely different levels of understanding, linked closely to opinion and view - all of which come under the umbrella of 'personal'....

You can tell when you have found a truly wise person.
    They say nothing at all.....

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited March 2012
    It started for me 22 years ago. I wanted to do something about work related stress and the skin problem it caused. I found a Zen-class and became a regular meditator. At the start everyone told why he or she had joined the course. I remember one woman said she started meditating because she hoped to lose some weight. Others had the ambition to get more successful in school or in their job.
    We were all pretty practical about it, I guess. That was probably partly because that particular teacher at the time was promoting Zen as a means to become carefree, focused, smart, successful etc... But we did learn to meditate, that’s what matters.

For me the meditation is the basis, and Buddhism -to a large extend- is simply the practice of meditation. The ideas, the groups, the teachers, they are exchangeable but this process, here on the meditation-mat is crucial.
    Learning about Buddhism (to me) is learning about the nature of this; here and now; waking up to it; not knowing.
    And if I learned anything at all – gradually - it is trusting my practice, trusting my life; trusting this not-knowing.

Good luck to you ! @MsJeni
    edited March 2012

You can tell when you have found a truly wise person.
    They say nothing at all.....

I think we all have wisdom..realized to one degree or another, through facing suffering. And I've had the good fortune to know some profoundly wise people ...who do say things..

Saying that if you open your mouth you demonstrate an absence of wisdom is an opinion I disagree with.. for what it's worth.

It also says this forum is without wisdom... bunch of dummies.

....and you better clear out if you are wise. or serious.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    yeah, Rich... you know... my comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek......
    ;)
  • I didn't have the wisdom.. or subtlety, to see that... I am as wise as anyone..if also stupid.

..and you seem to demonstrate hard won wisdom IMHO.

that's because my stupidity was easy......
  • LOL such a debate over wisdom <3

To me wisdom means someone that has more experience thus has more knowledge and understanding on a particular subject. I too have some wisdom about some things, probably not Buddhism though. At this point, me knowing very very little about Buddhism, compared to any of you, you most likely have more knowledge and understanding than I.
    That is not saying I automatically believe your understanding/knowledge is correct, as I also believe in the theory we are all always learning, thus new knowledge that you learn tomorrow made completely change how you think and what you "know" today. (I have had this happen to me many times, what I thought I knew when out the window when I learned or saw a different perspective.)
    However I have substantial bit of in life experience I can share, you may find some of my experiences in life and way of thinking helpful in understanding something you have or thought you learned about Buddhism, (or some other part of life). So I do offer up my experiences, but whether or how that may or may not help you, I do not know.

Any yes I do often speak and think in riddles like this. I am always challenging what I think I know. My kids dislike this about me, when they need help with a question on homework (and many things in life) it's in itself is a journey, as I will challenge them to think versus giving them an answer. Hope I can challenge some of you as well, but if I ever sound like I "know something" just remind yourself my process of thinking, doesn't really correlate with "knowing much". I have simply had experiences, and they are my interpretation at the moment of those experiences.

A couple of things I am pretty sure I know are: our world has much suffering in it, and I would like to see more peace in it (but not to the extent that I am willing to leave it yet), and each of us are getting a little "wiser" in some way every moment we are here and open to learning. I, also, know me pretty well, I am happy for the most part with me, but I do have room for improvement. (I am just getting to know you all and vice versa).

FYI, I am pretty light-hearted about most things, being overly concerned and stress about the here and now takes too much energy, and probably won't mean much tomorrow. Life if full of good and bad things, it's okay for them to hurt at the moment they are happening, but I do strive to let the pain go on the bad things as soon as I can, and move it an experience in the way I think about it.
  • Ignorance is bliss, I am a little too blissful at the moment :)
  • Dharma 11ish certainly not over-diligent years.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Coming up for three years; I know this because I attended a Buddhist meditation class in order to learn how to meditate for the Step 11 of the 12 Step program of A.A., and during the teaching bit something just went 'bingo' inside. The stuff the guy said just really chimed with me. I then read a yak load of books, attended classes and enrolled on a Foundation of Buddhist Thought course.

I think I overcomplicated everything though and now just try the following:

1. Meditation daily.
    2. Mindfulness (when I remember)
    3. Practising compassion (being a member of A.A. I always have people around me in need of help; for this reason I feel really lucky to be a recovered alkie).

Though I still plod through Buddhist books, listen to talks on mp3 player, and attend classes.
  • I have been interested in Buddhism for about 4 years but have only been practicing diligently for the past 6 months. I'm still trying to get into daily meditation but I read things everyday.