Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I HAD A DREAM! Of a Monk?? He spoke to me!

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited August 2012 in Philosophy
Hello!

I had a dream last night of a monk coming to me and speaking to me in my dreams.
This has happened before, but the first time the monk did not say anything, he just stared and watched me.
However, this time it was a different monk and his name was, "Pabongka Riponche." (He wrote: "Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand”) I read only a few pages of this book, thus it is weird to see him in my dreams. He spoke only a few words, but he said one thing that I cannot recall, but when I heard it, it really had me going. It was a good thing, but I felt like my brain was melting, because it was so powerful and strong and it resonated with me strongly. Anyways, would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks all,
Leon

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    shame that the one thing you could not recall, made you feel like you had brain melt-down...
    it would have been kinda nice to know what it was....

Thanks for this Leon - I think it's the most I've ever seen you write without a link! :D :clap:
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Thanks for this Leon - I think it's the most I've ever seen you write without a link! :D :clap:

:thumbsup:
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    shame that the one thing you could not recall, made you feel like you had brain melt-down...
    it would have been kinda nice to know what it was....

I will be doing it more often then! I have a lot to say, but I have been holding back. So thank you!:)

:thumbsup:
    You agree? :)
  • I once talked to a monk in a lucid dream. I spoke about anatta and he was worried that I am going to fall into a Nihilistic hole. Then he said I should go back to college.
    I once talked to a monk in a lucid dream. I spoke about anatta and he was worried that I am going to fall into a Nihilistic hole. Then he said I should go back to college.
    Did it really happen? Really? Interesting!!! Did you go back to College? And when you did what happened?
    Wow:
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

So is enlightenment in a dream, a coin of worth when waking?

I am definitely handicapped here as I almost never remember any dreams.

One exception was me competently surfing in huge waves with dragons on either side doing the same. A good time was had by all and somehow this dream of joy stayed with me long into the waking world.

So is enlightenment in a dream, a coin of worth when waking?

One exception was me competently surfing in huge waves with dragons on either side doing the same. A good time was had by all and somehow this dream of joy stayed with me long into the waking world.
    :) Not sure it was enlightenment, but definitely much better understanding of my self. Which is some sort of enlightenment? Lol!
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    For myself and any other dream challenged folks out there....
    In what way does the feeling you had in your dream, translate as a much better understanding of your self.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    It sounds like a very auspicious dream Leon. Je Pabongkha Rinpoche is regarded as living Buddha Heruka himself you must have a karmic connection with his Lineage.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited August 2012
    You know... I think these kind of dreams really can mean something. I had a similar one once, I kissed Jesus's feet and everything just kind of melted away.

I don't know what it meant or anything, but it actually changed me, and I never forgot it.

It was a dream, but it felt a lot bigger than that somehow.

It sounds like you had a very positive experience :)
  • very cool dream, I can imagine how neat it was that it was a real monk talking to you. You will have to keep us updated if you continue to read him or if he comes back.
    In what way does the feeling you had in your dream, translate as a much better understanding of your self.
    In my dreams (I am an extensive dreamer) I get hints about what is going on in my life, the emotions. Many times I am just too busy to really pay attention even with meditation. But it is very important to read the symbolism in those types of dreams! Things like death and a person being pregnant mean different things (yeah I freaked out a few times)

I have also had dreams that gave me some peace in a difficult situation or showed me that things were going in a direction that would be okay or simply pointed out what I needed to be aware of.
    It sounds like a very auspicious dream Leon. Je Pabongkha Rinpoche is regarded as living Buddha Heruka himself you must have a karmic connection with his Lineage.
    Wow! Interesting! Never thought about it like that. A psychic told me some interesting details about all this, so perhaps.
    You know... I think these kind of dreams really can mean something. I had a similar one once, I kissed Jesus's feet and everything just kind of melted away.

I don't know what it meant or anything, but it actually changed me, and I never forgot it.

It was a dream, but it felt a lot bigger than that somehow.

It sounds like you had a very positive experience :)
    Yes, I have had Jesus dreams too! Him and I were on sitting on a tree and we were talking??
    very cool dream, I can imagine how neat it was that it was a real monk talking to you. You will have to keep us updated if you continue to read him or if he comes back.
    In my dreams (I am an extensive dreamer) I get hints about what is going on in my life, the emotions. Many times I am just too busy to really pay attention even with meditation. But it is very important to read the symbolism in those types of dreams! Things like death and a person being pregnant mean different things (yeah I freaked out a few times)

I have also had dreams that gave me some peace in a difficult situation or showed me that things were going in a direction that would be okay or simply pointed out what I needed to be aware of.
    Thanks! I definitely will!:) I will try to write down more stuff down, thus helping me on my journey and hopefully helping others!:)
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Wow! Interesting! Never thought about it like that. A psychic told me some interesting details about all this, so perhaps.
    As well as being a highly accomplished Tantric master Pabongkha Rinpoche taught extensively about the Lamrim which are the condensed essence of all Buddha teachings if you've been searching for a practice Id highly recommend looking into Lamrim.
  • I had a dream where I was falling in and out of violence and sex.

And then I floated outside of this with light and seeing outside. I saw that I had been on a path up a mountain and all of the beings were caught in lust and fighting.

All of the sudden I was in a hall of monks?? and there was a teacher who glowed light and he said "there is only 1/4 of you here" And he inspected me and said I could not stay.

Then a high horse guy talked to me, I don't know what he said but I felt an outsider.

The next to talk to me was a grizzled man but he had a shadow of the heart and he talked to me warmly.

That is the end :)
  • Another dream I was met by a succubus. And I bit off her face. (scary)

Then I saw a dark tower. And I was afraid and made lucid.

I was lucid and sat down to meditate which made me wake up.
    As well as being a highly accomplished Tantric master Pabongkha Rinpoche taught extensively about the Lamrim which are the condensed essence of all Buddha teachings if you've been searching for a practice Id highly recommend looking into Lamrim.
    Thank you so much! Interesting!
    Another dream I was met by a succubus. And I bit off her face. (scary)

Then I saw a dark tower. And I was afraid and made lucid.

I was lucid and sat down to meditate which made me wake up.
    What do you think all this means? Or meant?
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    I had a dream about sevaral monks walking up a mountain to their monastary. The last of them turned around and thaught me a Aikido technique. Very useful.

He also showed me that I, contrary to my belief when I was young, still was afraid of pain and had fears. Very useful that too.

Victor

• GuiGui Veteran
    The most pervasive illusion is that we are not dreaming all of the time.
    Care to expand?
    I had a dream about sevaral monks walking up a mountain to their monastary. The last of them turned around and thaught me a Aikido technique. Very useful.

He also showed me that I, contrary to my belief when I was young, still was afraid of pain and had fears. Very useful that too.

Victor

That is soo awesome!!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Great thread! :p
    I wish I could add that I have had many significant dreams - heck, just one would do! But I, like @how, have very little recall.... I scarcely ever remember my dreams at all....
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Care to expand?
    We think about this and that and we make up philosophies and religions and we fall in love and create art and hatred for making war and we make whole societies and it's all in our minds. And we think it is all real. We learn from practicing Buddhism how to drop the labels on experiences. Do we experience this or the label we put on this? I am sitting on my porch right now and I hear this. I call the sound crickets but how can that be? Anyway, I am going off tangent here. I have lots of dreams while I am asleep that are as real to me as when I am not sleeping. I tend to indulge in day dreaming occasionally as well. The experiences are the same, only the circumstances can seem unreal, and quite bizarre lots of times. I have a reoccurring dream, maybe twice a year, where I'm in the same house and I am compelled to go to a small door on the top floor that leads to the attic. When I get there, I am paralyzed by total feelings of fear. The feeling is the same whether I am awake or asleep. I have a reoccurring dream where I am at a beach house with all my family and friends. Anyway, after I had a heart attack and went through a near death experience, it seems to me that life and death are the opposite of what they appear to be. Does this make any sense? I know I'm rambling. It seems to me that we live in our minds and think that it's real. Learning to be mindful of this and learning to forget self is one of the things I love most about Buddhism.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    The Buddha's reported response to the question of what he was, is my favourite.
    He just said that he was awake.

• It's hard to know what that means @how. I am awake of course but only ordinary awake.
    I suspect the Buddha dreamt, but he gave his dreams as much significance as a leaf floating on a river.....

• So is enlightenment in a dream, a coin of worth when waking?

I know what you mean how, maybe we find it hard to remember our dreams, because our minds are so tired from the days thoughts...or maybe we don't dream.

• I dreamed I was a tailpipe once...

I woke up exhausted.
  • LeonBasin: In a monophasic culture like America this is bad. In a polyphasic culture like Vietnam or Tibet is is good. :)
    That's what I say!:)
    LeonBasin: In a monophasic culture like America this is bad. In a polyphasic culture like Vietnam or Tibet is is good. :)
    Why? That's interesting. Why bad in American culture and good in Vietnam?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    I dreamed I was a tailpipe once...
    I woke up exhausted.
    LMAO!

I woke up exhausted.
    Nooooo! Not the "I dreamt...." jokes!!
    Well, i figured as this was your thread already (so of course it's great!), I'd repay the compliment.... :D;)

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    @fede, @LeonBasin.....Great thread guys ! lololololol

As to the OP, someone here is suffering from dream questions as we speak.
    He has all the books, websites saved, etc. I dont remember mine.

However, I used to. I used have the same reoccurring ones.
    Not pleasant by any account, but as I tried to tie messages to them,
    I think it helped me deal with anything going on in my sub-being/
    nature/Mind, whatever. They stopped after about 4 years, and just
    noticing that they stopped was a mindfull act, in itself. hahaha
    I do think it's usefull to reflect on them, use them if u can as a tool,
    and use all sorts of references to help you.

May your dreams contain peacefull moments.

I woke up exhausted.
    Nooooo! Not the "I dreamt...." jokes!!
    Well, i figured as this was your thread already (so of course it's great!), I'd repay the compliment.... :D;)

You are soo kind!~:) Thank you!
    @fede, @LeonBasin.....Great thread guys ! lololololol

As to the OP, someone here is suffering from dream questions as we speak.
    He has all the books, websites saved, etc. I dont remember mine.

However, I used to. I used have the same reoccurring ones.
    Not pleasant by any account, but as I tried to tie messages to them,
    I think it helped me deal with anything going on in my sub-being/
    nature/Mind, whatever. They stopped after about 4 years, and just
    noticing that they stopped was a mindfull act, in itself. hahaha
    I do think it's usefull to reflect on them, use them if u can as a tool,
    and use all sorts of references to help you.

May your dreams contain peacefull moments.
    Thank you!
    That's the thing...I was trying to learn from this dream. I was trying to see where I have gone wrong, right or in the middle. Lol.
  • Sounds interesting, but honestly it probably was just as important as any other dream and should not be stressed over... :coffee:
  • I had telepathic communications with a Thai monk while visiting a temple in Chiang Mai Thailand. This monk did not speak english, but his teachings came in load and clear... From time to time when I need a swift kick in the ass he will come to me either during my meditations or dreams.
    son_of_dhamma
  • edited August 2012
    Let me just also say that I'm not denying that this could possibly mean something or be important, I'm just saying that it's probably not healthy for you to think or stress over this too much.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • Lotus21Lotus21 Indiana Explorer
    Do we need to attach any significances to our dream as a lay practitioner is the question I asking to myself?

I also had a strong visual experiences while sleeping whenever there were a strong emotional sufferings in life. Often used that visual representations an answers or advices to sufferings.
  • Did he give you lottery numbers? I kid. I kid.
    RebeccaS
  • It's just a dream. Other people speak to you too.
    footiam said:

It's just a dream. Other people speak to you too.

Care to expand on this?
  • I would rather think a dream is just a dream. Whoever is it in the dream who speaks to us is not that important. In life, many people speak to us. Sometimes, the people closest and dearest to us speak to us and we hear not. That could be the origin of our suffering. I
    footiam said:

I would rather think a dream is just a dream. Whoever is it in the dream who speaks to us is not that important. In life, many people speak to us. Sometimes, the people closest and dearest to us speak to us and we hear not. That could be the origin of our suffering. I

Thank you!!
    [Deleted User]