Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

In what ways do Theravada, Mahayana and Zen Buddhism differ?

edited August 2012 in Buddhism Basics
-

Comments

• Lotus21Lotus21 Indiana Explorer
    With limited understanding I believe Mahayana evolved from Theravada, and Zen buddhism is a different branch of Mahayana buddhism practiced in the Far East Asia such as Japan and Korea.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited August 2012
    They differ only by the assertion of mind.

Similarity and differences are all mind brought.

So what if you set down your love and hate, your choosing for this or that?

Sit with that one, young padawan!
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited August 2012
    A Theravadin, Zennist, Vajrayanin, Channist and Western Buddhist™ are asked to spread the Dharma, using five frosty beers.

The Theravadin pours his out and retreats to the forest, muttering about the dangers of civilization.

The Zennist closes his eyes and intones, "There are no beers, neither are there not any beers; and remember, Vajrayanins, all these beers are mine."

The Vajrayanin observes mysteriously, "The beer does not exist from its own side; if I were advanced enough, it wouldn't be any different than drinking Pepsi."

The Channist, displaying uncanny foresight, immediately launches an informative blog about Buddhism entitled "Why Tibetans are Beer-Guzzling Heretics."

The Western Buddhist™ says, "To hell with all these foreign cultural trappings--I can't be a Buddhist until we agree on a code of conduct," and slams the remaining beers.

VastmindCloudBeejperson
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited August 2012
    That having been largely unhelpful, @webster26, I really like BuddhaNet's concise overview: http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhistworld/schools1.htm

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    The Theravadin pours his out and retreats to the forest, muttering about the dangers of civilization.
    I like the sound of that one...
    :p
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited August 2012

Lol, well, as a teaching, it works as long as someone follows him to the forest. Though without explaining his spontaneous beer-rejection, he might have a harder time getting converts than the Western Buddhist ;)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Lol, well, as a teaching, it works as long as someone follows him to the forest. Though without explaining his spontaneous beer-rejection, he might have a harder time getting converts than the Western Buddhist ;)

I think it's the job of the Western Buddhist to get converts, people can progress to forest beer festivals later on... ;)
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    disregarding the the issue of what scriptures are considered "canonical" I would say...

That Theravadians seek enlightenment following the teachings of a Samma sambuddha.

While Mahayanians strive to become Samma sambuddhas themselves. The Bodhisattva ideal is pronounced in Mahayana.

Zen people are beyond my understanding. And you can tell them I said so.

/Victor
    SileDhammadina
  • Well, has anyone noticed that the biggest difference here on the board between the schools crops up when we discuss the concept of Emptiness and Buddha-Nature?
    SileVastmind
  • Buddhist conceps are ehipassiko " coming, seeing, and evidence"
    All of them are some but the difference things cause have influenced of traditions. Most of the mahayana had influenced chinese tradition. And theravada still as Buddha said.