Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Romp Through the History of Philosophy

CloudCloud Veteran
edited August 2012 in General Banter
I ran across this site and watched the first part of this (free) beginners philosophy course (or lecture series), and thought maybe others would like to give it a go. I absolutely love philosophy, thinking about how things really are and such. :D

http://www.mariannetalbot.co.uk/podcasts/philosophy-for-beginners/1-a-romp-through-the-history-of-philosophy/
Jason[Deleted User]

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I love philosophy too! Thanks for sharing. :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @Jason, Welcome. :D For a while I consumed philosophy like it was water in a desert. I've read a few books on it and they've been eye-opening or consciousness-expanding. One book I'd recommend if you haven't read it is "A Brief History of Thought: A Philosophical Guide to Living" (Luc Perry).

The evolution of our views over time is fascinating! I wish some die-hard Christians that don't know philosophies or other religions would read stuff like this to gain an appreciation for the larger picture. It's really a beautiful tapestry, but people close their eyes and cling to a single thread for dear life.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    This lecture series is from 2008... I know it looks older,
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I found this site earlier today, it's pretty neat :)http://www.iep.utm.edu/ I'm not sure how good it is as a beginner's resource but it has loads of info, and a history section, too, if that's what you're looking for.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Encyclopedias are always good, thanks for the link @RebeccaS.

personBeejVastmind
  • Lotus21Lotus21 Indiana Explorer
    I love people who love philosophy so that they can explain philosophy in plain language to me. haha
    Cloud
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I like checking out the interviews at Philosophy Bites and segments from Philosophy Talk, as well.
    Cloud
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Cloud said:

One book I'd recommend if you haven't read it is "A Brief History of Thought: A Philosophical Guide to Living" (Luc Perry).

Gee, he's come along way since his 90210 days!!!

:D

(Sorry.....I couldn't help myself)
    Jason
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @Bunks, You just couldn't contain yourself could you? ;) Luc, not Luke.
    Bunks[Deleted User]
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    Radical! :rockon:
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Looks interesting, I'm going to bookmark it for later. Thanks.