Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"A Receptive, Respectful Awareness"

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
edited August 2012 in Meditation
At the library today I came across a book, The Mindfulness Revolution (Leading Psychologists, Scientists, Artists, and Meditation Teachers on the Power of Mindfulness in Daily Life)

There is an article by Jack Kornfield, I just wanted to share a part of it:
When we first start practicing meditation, says psychologist and meditation teacher Jack Kornfield, we usually expect to become instantly calm and peaceful. Instead, we most likely are shocked to find out just how much is going on in our minds or how bored we can be just sitting there. The very act of seeing this confusion and irritation begins the process that leads to insight and, ultimately, to relief and relaxation.

The film Gorillas in the Mist tells the story of Dian Fossey, a courageous field biologist who managed to befriend a tribe of gorillas. Fossey had gone to Africa to follow in the footsteps of her mentor, George Shaller, a renowned primate biologist who had returned from the wilds with more intimate and compelling information about gorilla life than any scientist before. When his colleagues asked how he was able to learn such remarkable detail about the tribal structure, family life, and habits of gorillas, he attributed it to one simple thing: He didn't carry a gun.

Previous generations of biologists entered the territory of these large animals with the assumption that they were dangerous. So the scientists came with an aggressive spirit, large rifles in hand. The gorillas could sense the danger around these rifle-bearing men and kept a safe distance. By contrast, Shaller -- and later, his student Dian Fossey -- entered the territory without weapons. They had to move slowly, gently, and above all, respectfully toward these creatures. And in time, sensing the benevolence of these humans, the gorillas allowed them to come right among them and learn their ways. Sitting still, hour after hour, with careful, patient attention, Fossey finally understood what she saw. As the African-American sage George Washington Carver explained, "Anything will give up its secrets if you love it enough."

There is more, but I am hesitant to reproduce the rest of the article without permission. If interested, please visit your local library today! ^.^

This isn't my own work so no need to hit the "Like" button. Just doing my job as a conduit of cool and practical things ;)

Comments

• That was awesome.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2012
    :eek: This VERY morning, I had a meditation with teens in the back garden
    explaining this same approach to 'nature'. lolololol
    We sat in the grass across from patches of weeds that grow here, and the
    wasps gather by the dozens. I knew this. ;)
    Several teen girls here are scared of wasps, and are constantly swatting
    at them, so this was my solution. lololol.
    Gorillas in the mist...yes! How many times have I watched that movie??? hehe

I made them sit there for 20 mins, explaining what was going to happen.
    "OMG, I am going to pee my pants! They are going to kill us, agggg!"
    "Do we have to stay?" , they were saying.
    Slowly...one by one the wasps started showing up, flying right by us, and I
    had to remind them, that this was 'nature', be IN it, not coming INTO
    it, they sat froze.....after a few mins....about 25 came about 2 ft away,
    and we all watched in silence as the insects tucked themselves in between the
    this light green leaf on the grass patches. They dissappeared.
    We waited....one girl whispered..." did they go underground?" another....
    "maybe they are in there making babies"....hahaha, but none of us laughed
    then.
    About ten more came, and about 10 more mins, and what broke
    the silence was one said " Are we waiting for them all to come out and welcome
    us at their doorstep? Bec thats what I'm afraid of"...lolololololo
    We burst out laughing then.
    We slowly rose, came inside, and
    for the next 30 mins, we had tea and discussed all the teachings
    that went with that meditation!!!!!!!
    Gratitude for this post! :)
    Beejsova
  • @vastminds I'm afraid of bees, I will try this.
    sova
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @Kangaroo....Bees will work! Plant the flowers that bring them, and then
    watch from a distance. Whatever distance makes you comfortable.
    BEE with them! lololololololol
    Kangaroo
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    @sova - Two things: 1) Thanks for posting this... I always like things explained in simple ways.... AND.... 2) Thanks for reminding me that I have over-due library books!
    sova
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

@sova - Two things: 1) Thanks for posting this... I always like things explained in simple ways.... AND.... 2) Thanks for reminding me that I have over-due library books!

Hahahah no problem! I tried to check out four books yesterday and have a measly 40 dollars in fines (lost a book ;/ )... glad I could spare you the change XD