Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What to say when friends & family question your beliefs.

vlroxvlrox Explorer
edited August 2012 in Buddhism Basics
So my family is all Pentecostals Christians. They are being very rude & judgemental of my buddhist path. What do i say for short as to why i am not christian? without going into detail. they keep making jokes, rude comments, and being hateful. ugh. help!!

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Practice patience and don't make any comments.
  • Don't be buddhist, don't be christian.

Just be human. You know with feelings, thoughts, and such.
    Beej
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited August 2012
    1. How rude you are. (Plain and simple. I find it helps in lots of situations)
    2. Is that how good Christians behave?
    3. The saying "do unto others" ... What does it mean?

I would just be teasingly, mildly rude back and point out the many shortcomings of Christian faith. I mean come on christians being judgemental of another path thats like throwing glas in a stonehouse.

Just trash em good a couple of times. It is not like you will ever run out of ammo... :) .

/Victor
    vlroxSabre
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Would you react badly if a total stranger said the same things? We're either all strangers, or we're all family. What's important is to know what you're doing and be confident that it's what will bring you and others the greatest happiness, and that's not just your family but the greater family of humanity.

I find it best to not even bring up my practice; after all, talking about it isn't part of the practice! :D
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I would just firmly say to them; "My spiritual beliefs are personal to me.... not up for discussion at this point", and don't get sucked into any conversations about it.
    Some day, down the road, you may feel confident enough, (and they may be open minded enough) to talk about your beliefs rationally and respectfully.
    But until that time... Keep that topic off the table.

This is what worked for me way back when I left Catholicism behind and chose Paganism. One of the best things I did when I felt it was time to discuss it, was copied several pages of information off the internet explaining my "new religion" in simple terms, and gave it to my mother. She read it and several days later we talked it over - briefly. She was so relieved to know I wasn't involved with "Devil worship" that it really wasn't an issue after that.

As for jokes and rude comments, just walk away and don't let that get under your skin.
    They will get bored with it if they get no real reaction....

• vlroxvlrox Explorer
    Cloud said:

Would you react badly if a total stranger said the same things? We're either all strangers, or we're all family. What's important is to know what you're doing and be confident that it's what will bring you and others the greatest happiness, and that's not just your family but the greater family of humanity.

I find it best to not even bring up my practice; after all, talking about it isn't part of the practice! :D

I do not openly talk about it, I will post like sayings or whatever on my facebook and my family or anyone really will just comment on it and be rude. One of my friends passed away and i asked for people to keep their family in your thoughts and i said i do not pray but i will keep them in my thoughts and someone said "i wouldnt want your buddhist thoughts or prayers anyways" and a whole bunch of other really nasty things lol.. i do not care who asks me about it i just know what i believe and i know they are close minded and not willing to listen so i just wanted advice on how to briefly explain politely.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    If they've already made up their minds, if they're naturally close-minded to Buddhism, it might be pointless to try. They're probably so ingrained in their own beliefs that they don't even really want to know.
    RebeccaSDaftChris
  • vlroxvlrox Explorer
    How do i nicely say that if your going to be close minded then i do not want to talk about it lol
  • Hi there!

They obviously have closed minds, so try & cultivate compassion 4 them if possible. A closed mind is rarely a content & happy person ...

Cheers
  • vlrox said:

What do i say for short as to why i am not christian

"Why I'm not Christian" is playing the game according to their rules, and will only perpetuate the conflict. These people are your family, and presumably you want to cultivate compassionate, peaceful, respectful relationships with them even more than with others. So if their disrespect causes you pain, simply gently, warmly tell them that and without any hint of blaming them kindly ask them, out of respect for the fabric of your mutual family, to respect the way you've chosen to live and believe.

If any individual continues to belittle your choices after you've responded this way a half-dozen times or so, simply ignore it or change the subject. Avoid the temptation to debate them. If you can't avoid the temptation, disengage from the context where they do it (hide their facebook communications, stop attending family gatherings where it happens, etc.) If anyone asks why you've done this, explain the pain you're experiencing, again without any hint of blaming others.

If you explain why you're not Christian or attack them for their unchristian ways, you're just setting yourself up for a pointless debate.
    Silouan
  • @vlox I recently had to draw the line with my family... I had asked my Mom numerous times to quit the preaching... I explained that I had nothing against the Christian faith, but that I thought it was rude to be judgemental. The problem was that she didn't see how sharing scriptures about me going to hell if I don't believe was judgemental. She was shocked that I would refer to her preaching as rude... I finally told her that I was going to stop communicating unless she respected my right to believe what I wanted.

And I did stop communicating... about 2 weeks later she apologized, I forgave her of course, and now we communicate without the preaching... we agreed to not talk about religion.

I'm not recommending cutting off communications with your family, but this is how it panned out for me.
    MaryAnneSilouansovavlrox
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited August 2012
    vlrox said:

How do i nicely say that if your going to be close minded then i do not want to talk about it lol

In a calm, even tone, simply say:
    "I do not want to talk about my spirituality at this time".

That's it. No further explanation needed. Think of it as discussing something else personal or intimate- like your sex life. ;)
    It's really no one's business!
    And no one has the right to badger you about it.

As for facebook, simply delete rude or snide comments from your own page, no rebuttal, no response at all. Just delete and forget it.
    Resist giving them any opportunity to make snide remarks (about your spiritual choice) anywhere else. Don't comment at all when it comes to prayer or healing circles, wishes, etc.
    If you can't resist saying something, then simply say "So sorry..." or something to that effect. Don't set yourself up for the rude comments.

Telly03DaftChrissovavlrox
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Telly, I agree.
  • From Pema Chodron -

It might feel like stretching into make-believe to say, 'May this person who is driving me crazy enjoy happiness and be free from suffering.' Probably what we genuinely feel is anger. This practice is like a workout that stretches the heart beyond its current capabilities. we can expect to encounter resistance. We discover that we have our limits: we can stay open to some people but we remain closed to others. We see both our clarity and our confusion. We are learning first-hand what everyone who has ever set out on this path has learned: We are all a paradoxical bundle of rich potential that consists of both neurosis and wisdom.

:)
    Bunkssova
  • vlrox said:

So my family is all Pentecostals Christians. They are being very rude & judgemental of my buddhist path. What do i say for short as to why i am not christian? without going into detail. they keep making jokes, rude comments, and being hateful. ugh. help!!

Maybe tell them that you question your beliefs deeply yourself.
    And then question your beliefs deeply, with or without their involvement.
    Dont be precious about your beliefs like they most probably are about theirs;
    This may make some peace. Which, after all, is all you can do.

Namaste
  • You only have one effective recourse. If someone says something rude to you, or starts to disparage your beliefs, all you can do is say something like, "I'm sorry, you apparently don't want to treat me like family, so I'll leave." Then leave. Don't get mad, don't argue. Just leave if they aren't willing to respect you. Not respect your beliefs. Respect you enough as a person to understand it's none of their business.

Maybe they'll realize what they're doing, maybe not. It's up to them. Don't avoid them after that, but the next time, if they launch into the same behavior, repeat "Sorry, won't stand for you talking to me like that" and leave again. How long until they get the message?

You give them permission to treat you with less than respect, by standing there and letting them. Of course they wouldn't put up with you talking trash about their religion.
    vlrox
  • I agree with @Cinorjer , do not allow them to use you as a verbal punching bag because of your beliefs. The simple attitude of "I am truly sorry you feel that way." then leaving generally gets the attention of most people, and those that continue are not truly family (aside from blood relation) nor friend, simply leave them be and continue your life without that hindrance.
  • edited August 2012
    Oh goodness I'm prob gonna be able to relate very soon I've just begun the practice of Buddhism an got a few books an still continue to look further on this philosophy through the net an any sources that I can but Ik how you feel! I'm sure I'll hear a lot about it but when it comes down to it I will simply tell them "Ones beliefs do not define ones heart but the person that they are does." Everyone thinks differently,feels differently,lives differently because in a lot of ways we are different but really behind the different tastes in music and clothing, an even more complex things like religions an practices we are all the same, we are all just human.
    Telly03vlrox
  • Hi PeaceOfMe!

Yes, you're right - we are all alike in that we each want 2 experience happiness & we don't wish 2 experience suffering ...

Our differences are rather insignificant UNLESS we focus on them!

Best of luck with your practice & dealing with anyone who doesn't agree with you.

Namaste
    PeaceOfMe
  • Allow your practice to show through your compassion and patience, you don't have to explain to anyone.
    To avoid confrontation, when someone needs prayers I simply say "I'm sending positive thoughts your way".
    MaryAnneVastmind
  • JimyoJimyo Explorer
    I don't tend to talk about my spiritual side other than to my partner who is very supportive as she's seen how much it has helped me.

The subject of buddhism arose recently at a family get together after the Dalai Lama visited England and general feeling was that buddhism is "weird" and "odd". I calmly asked what specifically people had a problem with. The 4 noble truths? The 8-fold path? The precepts? The answer I got was "eerrr...All of it." followed by a quick change of subject.

If they'd have asked about it I'd have happily explained but if people aren't ready to listen I'm perfectly happy not talking about it. I certainly wouldn't resort to criticizing christianity (or any religion for that matter), that would be all too easy.
    vlrox
  • Reminds me of my sister's funeral earlier this year, when an Aunt's husband I've never met before siddled up to me and whispered, "I'm Buddhist, too." Like we were members of some secret underground resistance movement. Kinda tickled me.
    VictoriousMaryAnnemusicvlrox
    Was he a real Buddhist? Did he know the secret handshake? lol.

/Victor

MaryAnneKangaroosovavlrox
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @Victorious, Psst, the first rule about the secret handshake is don't talk about the secret handshake. There are eyes everywhere dude!
    VictoriousMaryAnnesovavlrox
    It is wrong to say there is a secret handshake and
    it is wrong to say there is no secret handshake and
    it is wrong to say there both is a secret handshake and no secret handshake and
    it is wrong to say there is neither a secret handshake nor no secret handshake

so I aint saying nuffing mister.

/Victor :p
    MaryAnnemusicsovavlrox
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Cinorjer said:

Reminds me of my sister's funeral earlier this year, when an Aunt's husband I've never met before siddled up to me and whispered, "I'm Buddhist, too." Like we were members of some secret underground resistance movement. Kinda tickled me.

My favorite similar experience was when I was a vice principal. One of our secretaries was a Buddhist, and we sort of hung out (not quite dating). Her father was a teacher in our school. I knew him well, too. One day he and I were talking, and I happened to mention that his daughter had told me she was Buddhist. "She's not supposed to tell anyone she's Buddhist!", he said. "Why not?", I asked. Because it's one of those weird religions!", he replied. "I'm Buddhist." Stunned expression. Total silence.

MaryAnnevlrox
  • There are more Buddhists in America than Eastern Orthodox Christians, and there is a tendency there to be thrown in with the other forms of Christians, and then a tendency to get treated as a cult religious group by a lot the other Christians outside the faith despite the Church being around for about 2000 years, and the New Testament provided to them as one of the traditions of our faith.
    zsc
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited August 2012
    One simple response....."I'm sorry you feel that way"

Leave it at that.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    vlrox said:

Laughter is a useful generic response - arguing with laughter is challenging.
  • Sounds like several good examples of a response. The only wrong reaction you can pick is to try and "talk sense" or explain how they're wrong to a person invested in believing their God is the one and only true God and those foreign religions are all idol worshipping nonsense. It's like trying to catch a chicken by chasing it around the farm: it's wasted effort and only annoys the chicken.

But it's advisable to think ahead on what your response is going to be, because when it happens, your emotions get in the way of correct action. Something fundamental to what you are is under attack. That means you are under attack. If it's someone you think of as a friend or family, you feel hurt and betrayed. You want to argue and lash out in return, or you sit there and take it, internalizing the anger.

It's a no-win situation. Attacking the person in return, saying something witty and cutting or giving them a piece of your mind for their rude, ignorant behavior makes you feel good, but doesn't help. The person you're giving a taste of their own medicine won't see it as deserved. They'll think, "Boy those Buddhists are a touchy bunch. They can't stand to have their unGodly heathen beliefs challenged. Good thing I'm not like that." See, if the person rude enough to make fun of or criticize your beliefs was capable of seeing themselves in a mirror, they wouldn't be telling you that you're going to Hell to begin with.

Best to just let them know they're being rude and walk away. It's the Buddhist thing to do.
    MaryAnneBunks
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

It is wrong to say there is a secret handshake and
    it is wrong to say there is no secret handshake and
    it is wrong to say there both is a secret handshake and no secret handshake and
    it is wrong to say there is neither a secret handshake nor no secret handshake

so I aint saying nuffing mister.

/Victor :p

rofl!

i love you guys, so very very much

• vlroxvlrox Explorer
    PeaceOfMe said:

Oh goodness I'm prob gonna be able to relate very soon I've just begun the practice of Buddhism an got a few books an still continue to look further on this philosophy through the net an any sources that I can but Ik how you feel! I'm sure I'll hear a lot about it but when it comes down to it I will simply tell them "Ones beliefs do not define ones heart but the person that they are does." Everyone thinks differently,feels differently,lives differently because in a lot of ways we are different but really behind the different tastes in music and clothing, an even more complex things like religions an practices we are all the same, we are all just human.

I have studied/been a buddhist for years now, however never reallly talked about it to my family and recently i have been more open and comfortable and yeah it is just so immature how they are acting. Typical christian.
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Be truthful, and walk your path in joy.
    MaryAnneVastmindTelly03Bunks
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I don't have to justify myself to anyone, much less my family. So I'd say either nothing or tell them to just you know, deal.
    TheEccentric
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Zero said:

vlrox said:

Laughter is a useful generic response - arguing with laughter is challenging.
    I agree.

For example, @Zero...I was going to 'LOL' your post, and leave it at that,
    but I'll go ahead and present you with the 'challenge' of arguing with me.
    :)
    Zerovlrox
  • vlroxvlrox Explorer
    =-)