Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Worldliness

edited August 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Most of us are conditioned by society to seek success, fame, wealth, status, and so on. By a certain age, we have to be well educated. Or married. Or be in a nice position, careerwise. And so on. So even if one doesn't care for these things, the people around you will act in such a way that you'd wish you had these things - lots of money, friends etc. etc.

How to deal with this?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Get used to the weird looks, that's all I can say. If you choose to live differently, to abandon worldly pleasures and seek enlightenment, people are going to think you're weird. That's really their problem. Ours is to rise above it, to not let it affect us because we understand they are ignorant of what we're learning to be the truth. We can't expect them to understand, not unless we explained it to them at length, and most of them aren't eager to find out (they just want to live life the way they've been taught to live life).
  • edited August 2012
    No, I am not talking about convincing people. I am talking about the effect it has upon oneself. You're not following the crowd, but that gets you nothing in terms of monetary benefits, plus it gets you ridicule. So you wish you had followed the crowd, however shallow that was, if only to live a relatively peaceful life (with a nice jobs, friends, and all that).
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    It's all about what's important to you. Following the crowd is what everyone does, and it is easier because it's so well-established and people expect it, but it's still the world of Samsara. The path to enlightenment is something that leads to an even greater happiness, but you can't really have it both ways. The more attached you are to the world, the more you crave it (which includes craving the acceptance of others), the less enlightenment.

It's either "the world" or "peace", and you have to decide which is more important to you. As they say you can't have your cake and eat it too! You'll have to deal with some ridicule if you turn away from worldly things, but if you think it's worth it to turn away from the world... then by all means do so. If you're not really sure, and it would seem you're not (or this question wouldn't come up), then I'd suggest just keep an open mind and keep investigating this life to see what's ultimately going to be satisfactory to you.
    musicBunks
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    music said:

So even if one doesn't care for these things...

the people around you will act in such a way that you'd wish you had these things -

music said:

I am talking about the effect it has upon oneself.

You're not following the crowd, but that gets you nothing in terms of monetary benefits, plus it gets you ridicule.

So you wish you had followed the crowd, however shallow that was, if only to live a relatively peaceful life (with a nice jobs, friends, and all that).

If the actions of things outside of yourself make you wish for the things you dont care for then you do care for them - you're still trying to convince yourself that you dont.

If you do not see the return of your investment then there may as well be no return.

Dont wish - do.

Live the peaceful life you seek rather than wishing it.
    sova
  • There has never been someone who was fully praised by all beings.

There has never been someone who was fully blamed by all beings.

We will all (have) receive(d) our fair shares of praise and blame.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @music I believe I understand what you are feeling. Are feeling your conditioning to want the acceptance of others and not necessarily the things they want?
    music
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited August 2012
    We must practice compassion and metta for all living beings. Everyone is more similar than different in terms of being human in this human realm. Perhaps if we practice metta and compassion in this way, we would not feel so different. Maybe one day someone will see these differences and offer some help as opposed to discriminating.
    tmottessova
  • music said:

Most of us are conditioned by society to seek success, fame, wealth, status, and so on. By a certain age, we have to be well educated. Or married. Or be in a nice position, careerwise. And so on. So even if one doesn't care for these things, the people around you will act in such a way that you'd wish you had these things - lots of money, friends etc. etc.

How to deal with this?

It is so so hard, isn't it.

You know, I find the dharma on the inside part is pretty easy and have done for a while. I am not a level ten Buddhist or anything that good, but I get by on my smattering of dharma wisdom and practice.

But on the outside - in the world of consumption and fakery and distortion - it is all dukka and it is always commin' right at us.

A few years ago I was talking to my older and wiser cousin about this exact issue and he told me his answer, and it does help and has helped me, and that is, in this worldly world, you just got to Play The Game.

ownerof1000oddsocks
  • ...And wait until you have kids and see the worldly world trying to snare them every day!:)
    Vastmind
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    music said:

No, I am not talking about convincing people. I am talking about the effect it has upon oneself. You're not following the crowd, but that gets you nothing in terms of monetary benefits, plus it gets you ridicule. So you wish you had followed the crowd, however shallow that was, if only to live a relatively peaceful life (with a nice jobs, friends, and all that).

The challenge is this: will you be as satisfied with the different life you have chosen later in life, as you are when you are younger and make your decision to walk the different road?

I'm going to be vague, but let me very briefly outline my story. Early in life I decided I wanted to be...well, for wont of a better phrase...a "single man". I was mostly happy with that decision through my 20s, 30s, 40s, and early 50s. Then in my mid-50s, I was...well, let's say adopted by a young man and his wife as their "pa". A whole new world opened up for me...life was the best (by far) that it had ever been. And then, after about 5 years, it was all taken away. Now I find myself rather dissatisfied with my life, and find myself looking back and often thinking "what if". It's the old "if I had to do it all over again" story...and if I did I would choose a more standard life.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    vinlyn said:

It's the old "if I had to do it all over again" story...and if I did I would choose a more standard life.

Do it now... even if you had lived it the 'best', the time would not come again.

If it helps, I know lots of utterly miserable standard people saying if they could do it again they would do it different.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    You can be in the world and still walk alone on the path you chose. Having things, possessions, job and such does not mean that you must forego the spiritual life. Enlightenment is where you find it. It could be in the woods alone, or working on Wall Street.
    How can you renounce attachment to a lfe you never had?
  • I've a suspicion everyone, whatever path they choose, wonders "what if" at times. It's just another way our ego torments us with thoughts that the grass if greener on the other side of the fence.
    Zero said:

vinlyn said:

It's the old "if I had to do it all over again" story...and if I did I would choose a more standard life.

Do it now... even if you had lived it the 'best', the time would not come again.

If it helps, I know lots of utterly miserable standard people saying if they could do it again they would do it different.
    Yes, that's why I began my post with, "The challenge is this: will you be as satisfied with the different life you have chosen later in life, as you are when you are younger and make your decision to walk the different road? "

And as for "do it now", no, too late in terms of age and health.

• tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited August 2012
    vinlyn said:

music said:

The challenge is this: will you be as satisfied with the different life you have chosen later in life, as you are when you are younger and make your decision to walk the different road?

I'm going to be vague, but let me very briefly outline my story. Early in life I decided I wanted to be...well, for wont of a better phrase...a "single man". I was mostly happy with that decision through my 20s, 30s, 40s, and early 50s. Then in my mid-50s, I was...well, let's say adopted by a young man and his wife as their "pa". A whole new world opened up for me...life was the best (by far) that it had ever been. And then, after about 5 years, it was all taken away. Now I find myself rather dissatisfied with my life, and find myself looking back and often thinking "what if". It's the old "if I had to do it all over again" story...and if I did I would choose a more standard life.
    Just based on the details you have given, this seems like a great example of how all is impermanent and how clinging to that which is impermanent results in suffering.

If all we have is the present, then spending emotional energy playing the "what if" game is a waste of that energy. It doesn't mean we can't learn lessons, but if we don't want our decisions to continue being an energy sink, then we should leave the past in the past.

Instead of trying to stop the "what if" game outright, I have started playing the "what if" game with things I don't want instead of my desired outcome. For instance, my friend fell asleep on the freeway driving 84mph. He hit the guardrail and damaged his car along the entire left side. He was really distraught by the whole situation, the money, how his parents would react (they are super critical of him), etc. He said he was feeling tired and was going to stop at the next rest stop (turns out it was just 1 mile ahead). So he started to beat himself up with his "what ifs". What if there was no guardrail? What if he killed himself? What if he had killed somebody else? What if aliens had come and abducted him before he fell asleep? Any number of things could have been different and some are much better and some much worse. Its the comparison between the actual outcome vs a hypothetical outcome that colors our judgement as more positive or negative.

When I started to play the what if game in all directions (especially in the absurd direction), I realized how pointless what ifs really are and the what ifs thoughts lessened, because it provided me nothing to use NOW. Nothing different is going to happen for that moment, EVER. All we can do is take our lessons, save them, and be sure to use them to the best of our ability in a future present moment.

@music, my unsolicited advice to you would be to explore this uncomfortable area (challenge yourself), you may find it suits you more than you expect. You will find others along the path that are also receiving judgement from others (find acceptance through them). Finally, don't waste this moment-this life-wishing for something (be it in the past, present, or future). Take action to make it happen or abandon the desire.

tmottes said:

Just based on the details you have given, this seems like a great example of how all is impermanent and how clinging to that which is impermanent results in suffering.

If all we have is the present, then spending emotional energy playing the "what if" game is a waste of that energy. It doesn't mean we can't learn lessons, but if we don't want our decisions to continue being an energy sink, then we should leave the past in the past.

Instead of trying to stop the "what if" game outright, I have started playing the "what if" game with things I don't want instead of my desired outcome. For instance, my friend fell asleep on the freeway driving 84mph. He hit the guardrail and damaged his car along the entire left side. He was really distraught by the whole situation, the money, how his parents would react (they are super critical of him), etc. He said he was feeling tired and was going to stop at the next rest stop (turns out it was just 1 mile ahead). So he started to beat himself up with his "what ifs". What if there was no guardrail? What if he killed himself? What if he had killed somebody else? What if aliens had come and abducted him before he fell asleep? Any number of things could have been different and some are much better and some much worse. Its the comparison between the actual outcome vs a hypothetical outcome that colors our judgement as more positive or negative.

When I started to play the what if game in all directions (especially in the absurd direction), I realized how pointless what ifs really are and the what ifs thoughts lessened, because it provided me nothing to use NOW. Nothing different is going to happen for that moment, EVER. All we can do is take our lessons, save them, and be sure to use them to the best of our ability in a future present moment.

Actually, I think you make a good point.

I guess what I would advocate is that it would be nice, and sometimes and somewhat possible, if we would play the "what if" game early on, rather than later. In fact, that might be akin to "right thought".

• ZeroZero Veteran
    vinlyn said:

And as for "do it now", no, too late in terms of age and health.

I'm sorry to hear that - perhaps you could play around the edges with some things that may not be so heavily reliant on age and health?

I was chatting to a friend about dimensions - we were discussing them in terms of 'choices'... I suppose a more mathematical way of considering the issue - we were pondering the overall dimension arc (so say you choose to eat cheese - there are consequences - these say start at delicious cheese and say end in heart attack from high cholesterol) - there are a myriad of points along that arc...

So in a sense, just because one eats cheese, it is not certain that a heart attack will occur - it is just a possibility along that particular dimension.

Now considering an 'eat cheese' dimension and a 'dont eat cheese' dimension side by side - there will be periods where the dimensions may be inclusive and periods where they shall be exclusive - some shared effects and some unshared effects.

Imagine a point where you step off the 'eat cheese' dimension and step into the 'dont eat cheese' dimension - just because you're now in the 'dont eat' category, it doesnt necessarily follow that the effects of 'do eat' are negated - that said, you're now in the 'don't eat' dimension so if the 'do eat' effects follow then they should also be within the parameters of the 'don't eat' dimension.

Where I'm going with this is that you may well be in the same place now as you may have been if you followed the standard model - you'll never know as you chose a different dimension - that however does not necessary mean that the effects of your unchosen choices are forever lost to you.

Perhaps it is just a matter of perspective.

I hope you resolve your dissatisfaction.
  • The Buddha spoke of two kinds of happiness (Latukikopama Sutta, M 66): happiness to be feared and happiness not to be feared. The happiness to be feared is the happiness of a worldling (puthujjana) which is unariyan. It is a vile happiness (Masefiled trans. dung-like happiness) that comes through sense pleasures. The happiness not to be fear comes from transcending all states of mind.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    How to deal with this?

I've always been more concerned with freedom.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Zero said:

Imagine a point where you step off the 'eat cheese' dimension and step into the 'dont eat cheese' dimension - just because you're now in the 'dont eat' category, it doesnt necessarily follow that the effects of 'do eat' are negated - that said, you're now in the 'don't eat' dimension so if the 'do eat' effects follow then they should also be within the parameters of the 'don't eat' dimension.

mmm cheese

music said:

You know, I think it's hard for even some monks these days to live a totally unworldly life, because there is really just a lot of stuff around! Satellite TV, video games, newspapers, magazines; we [humans] flex and grind the worldly elements into all sorts of stuff these days. Some desperate times we're living in. Soon every junk pile will be full of iPhones and gizmos, imagine someone puts a cellular phone in your alms bowl..

But, you know, people will tell you that the shoes you wear are out of fashion and that you need blue shoes, or you might just hear someone's words say "buy a house get a wife and a golden retriever and be happy" but they might be just as uncertain about how the whole "happiness and permanence" aspect of it plays out as well.

Either way, in the blink of an eye you end up where you are, whether you have the 7 years of dog-catching-frisbee memories or some other way of living. ( Or lives stretching back to beginningless time, doing similar activities with similar levels of satisfaction, again and again. )

Sometimes I conceive of myself as having two distinct personas: a 'used-to-it' side and a 'spiritual' side, but really, are these separate? I'm just trying to be a better person, even before I had a 'spiritual side' I still had preferences, what I'd like to eat, what I'd like to do, what kind of job I'd like to have.. If you're cool with a simple life and a quiet cup of tea then that's awesome! If not, still awesome! Because you can live whatever kind of life you'd like, and there's no reason to judge those that live it differently. Especially if they're uninterested in seeking a wiser way (you know, takes time, conditions gotta be ripe)

On the one hand, if you are feeling out-of-place because all your friends do is talk about buying cars and "being somebody" (whatever in the world that could possibly mean), don't fret, you're not alone in that. Over the summer I went to visit family in a small European country and many people there just WISH WISH WISH they could come to the US to make "lots of money" because the streets are made of gold and dancing girls follow you around...

But of course, when I told friends that it's busy, people are blinded by the necessity of a "career" and status, when I said that many people in Small European Country Lush With Nature lived much happier lives some people didn't get it at all.

But, a lot of people did! Much more mature cultures understand that the quality of life is far more valuable than the outside appearance of a life any day =)

Here in the states, where things are shiny, and the noisiest of messages (on media and TV) are advertisements saying "this equals happiness!" certainly tends to throw people off balance I think. But that stuff thrives because people enjoy buying into the fiction, it's comfortable and well-established, but that doesn't mean it's the best way of looking at things.

One thing you said sticks out though,
    So even if one doesn't care for these things, the people around you will act in such a way that you'd wish you had these things
    The key to empowerment is knowing that it's always your choice
    Vastmind
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited August 2012
    vinlyn said:

Actually, I think you make a good point.

I guess what I would advocate is that it would be nice, and sometimes and somewhat possible, if we would play the "what if" game early on, rather than later. In fact, that might be akin to "right thought".

Hey... what do you mean by actually? :grumble:

haha just kidding you :nyah:

I haven't really thought about right thought in that manner, but I think you are right. I can even see using all parts of the 8-fold noble path to help.
  • If you find yourself craving acceptance by others, attend to awareness's acceptance of the present moment of experience.
  • off topic
    @songhill
    could U please bring up in another thread 'Vattupama sutta and Anumana sutta' for discussion
    no doubt it would help all of us a great deal to lead our day today life

thanks in advance
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Hi @music - a great topic! Thanks. Have enjoyed reading all the responses too. Food for thought...

Do you have a sangha that you meet with regularly? Maybe you can garner some strength from them?

Good luck!
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    One of the nice things about Buddhist practice is that, bit by bit, it helps those who practice be less astounded by the fact that everybody, in one way or another, belongs to a minority ... and coincidentally is a bit weird. The question that needs to be asked, I think, is, "How weird would it be if everyone weren't a little weird ... and boring too?"

Practice helps to make all of this less upsetting. Some days, it's my turn to be weird. Some days, it's yours. It's not really all that weird, do you think?
    sova