Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

kathodos.com

Hello all, the webmaster from the website ive posted in the title made a series of videos earlyer this year. He says what hes doing is trying to go back to the presecular core of Buddhism to uncover the original teachings of the Buddha. His videos are very dry, difficult to follow at times, and i cant help but watch with skepticism and was curious about what other more knowledgeable people on the website think of the info hes trying pass on.

Comments

• RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Like. His arrogance would usually put me off (the intellectually arrogant are the people that annoy me most in the world) but he seems to know his stuff, and what he's actually saying makes a whole lot of sense. Shame about his bloody awful website though :lol: You'd think such a smart guy would know that the Internet moved beyond geocities... :p
    jll
  • His website links to racist material.
  • I haven't dived that deep into his website yet so i haven't come across racist material but from what i seen his very much against any Buddhist sects and has quite a few swastikas on his site even tho i believe that they have its roots in Hinduism (i probably need to be corrected in that).

My main focus tho is on the points he makes about Buddhism. I agree with Rebecca, he doesn't seem like the kind of person id like to spend extended periods of times with but he seems genuine in his objective and seems to have the sources and the intelligence to present a (how should i say this...) closest to the original teachings of the Buddha.

The problem i have is, while im still learning about Buddhism, i lack the knowledge to take whats hes saying and compare it to see how accurate what he says is. I am curious what someone on this website that has studied the the pali canon and any other teachings would have to say about this.

-Is this information correct and significant?
    -Is this information generally known but i myself just haven't stumbled upon it yet?
    -Or is this information something people that truly devote themselves to the Buddhas teaching discover on their own naturally
    -Orrrr is he incorrect and just a nut lol
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I won't link here, for obvious reasons, but for instance:
    Presentation of the Jewish Problem
    Is one of the texts linked to.

Buddhism has nothing to do with any kind of racism. Call me prejudiced, but that's enough for me to go elsewhere for Buddhist material.

It's not just about having clever theories.
  • "IMPORTANT NOTE FROM THE WEBMASTER: Despite the numberless pictures of the swastika, and the usage of the term ‘Aryan’ (Pali: Arya) on this website, the webmaster of kathodos.com despises Nazism, Fascism, and those that support or give support to the neo-Nazi’s, their views, dogmas, and its profane political ideology. In fact, the webmaster has absolutely no involvement or interest in any form of politics, least of all profane varieties such as Fascism. The misuse and abuse of the swastika for less than a handfull of years by Fascist Nazis, does not erase its usage and meaning throughout history for the past 5000+ years."

I can't find the Jewish problem link, but it's worth investigating. I based what I said on watching his video and a quick scan of the site. If he's talking racist then obviously the guy is a no no.
    edited September 2012
    This internet site is in honorable memory of the renowned Buddhologists and scholars: Dr. C.A.F. Rhys Davids, George Grimm, S. Radhakrishnan, J. Perez-Ramon, G.C. Pande, I.B. Horner, Dr. A.K. Coomaraswamy, Julius Evola, Rene Guenon, Nikhilananda, Chandradhar Sharma, Dr. Nakamura and many others; all of whom denied to a greater or lesser degree the image and teachings of modern Buddhism as being contrary to the original article.
    Kathodos.com
    A number of Evola's articles and books deal explicitly with the subject of race.
    A.J. Gregor comments: "In the [German translation of Imperialismo pagano], Evola considered principled anti-Semitism one of the essentials of a salvific 'racial rebirth' in the modern world. Not only did Evola make a point of identifying Karl Marx, one of the architects of the modern world of materialism, inferiority, pretended equality, and cultural decay, as a Jew--but he spoke of a Jewish capitalistic yoke that obstructed every effort at racial regeneration" (Mussolini's Intellectuals, pps. 200-201).
    In Revolt Against the Modern World, he said that he considered himself to be a critic of the "racist worldview" by which he meant the demagogically-minded, simplistic, antisemitic theories of mainstream Nazis and others of his contemporaries. However, he wrote an introduction to an Italian language version of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, a notorious antisemitic document, long proven to be a Tsarist fabrication,[21] that alleges a Jewish conspiracy to run the world through control of the media and finance, and replace the traditional social order with one based on mass manipulation.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Evola#Race

There's a link to something even worse on his blog.
    101 Facts about the truth of Racism, rather about the 'other' race everyone might want to familiarize themselves with.
    Above this caption is a picture of an ape wearing a gold chain.
    edited September 2012
    deleted
  • Really....your not even listening to me...i know racism is bad and everything but you've lost focus on the topic at hand.

THIS IS A DISCUSSION ON BUDDHISM not racism...if your pride is too much to look past the possible racism then DONT POST ON THIS TOPIC AGAIN...im talking to you PrairieGhost and anyone elce viewing this that cant help another human learn a little truth in this world

************This being my 1st interaction with members (2) on this website RebeccaS seems to be the only one that wants to say anything about the topic i specifically want to talk about (thank you). Otherwise my experience on this site has been a HUGE headache and if this is what im going to get for wanting to have my 1st intellectual discussion, about the Buddhist topics this man shares, then ill be sure to never visit this site again and warn people, that think about joining, of the type of people that are members(not all) and the unwilling attitude(of some) to help another is their quest for knowledge******
  • I'm sorry I offended you. It's just my view on the website, and I don't mean to discourage you from learning or sharing.
  • ---Its ok, im sorry how harsh i came off(i let my emotions get the best of me)---
    (No good)

Anyway, the website itself isnt my focus for this discussion(him being the webmaster of the site is the only way i can identify him other then his youtube) but of the video i posted and his follow up videos. There's no form of racism in his videos but it is a little uneasy/alarming how he does talk down to those of lesser intellect and of the various school of Buddhism.

What he says makes sense and by what he says he devoted his time to translating the early Buddhist texts and was able to uncover the subtleties in the language itself. The ideals he shares are new to me but theres a difference between new to ME and new in a larger picture. Ive only been studying Buddhism for about a year and i know there is much more for me to learn. I easily can separate right from wrong but with this i need to know if this is a case of misinterpretation or discovery / true Buddhism or possible misguidance.

Anyone that can give me their time to watch the videos and share their knowledge on Buddhism at the time of the Buddhas life i thank you

---i feel as tho i need a scholar for this lol----
    (unfortunately i dont live near / close enough to any Buddhist schools where i can easily learn)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited September 2012
    The site is not accurate with regards to the Pali Canon...

The site says "The Tathagata (Buddha) teaches only Aryans (arya), ...not puthujjana (inferior, profane)" [Majjhima Nikaya 2]-Gotama Buddha "

The problem here is that Majjhima Nikaya 2...does not even say that...

What it really says is "Monks, the ending of the fermentations is for one who knows & sees, I tell you, not for one who does not know & does not see."

Somehow the person twisted this to interpret it as "The Buddha only teaches the first kind of people"

Meanwhile, there are hundreds of other references in the Canon of the Buddha teaching the second kind...

The site also says "Theravada, the perverse dogma of the annihilationists, was born from the womb of Mara (evil)."

That is complete nonsense!... This person is completely misguided. If you want to learn about "true Buddhism", don't go to that person.

The best source for the Pali Canon and commentary, explanation, etc. is http://www.accesstoinsight.org

http://www.buddhanet.net/ is good too.
  • There is so much to learn from non-controversial sources; you can always revisit this man's teachings after you have a better basis to compare. Also, keep in mind that right view and right understanding are mainly borne out of personal practice and not intellectual understanding.
  • Seeker242: The passage in question doesn't contain the word Tathagata. In the access to insight translation the line in question is:

"There is the case where an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person [puthujjana] — who has no regard for noble ones [ariya], is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma [ariyadhamma]..." (Brackets are mine.]
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Well, right off the bat, I think his assertion that the suttas recorded in the Pali Canon are presectarian is debatable. While certainly representative of an early evolutionary stage the Buddha's teachings, there's not enough evidence to suggest that everything contained within them is presectarian; and textual analysis by scholars, inculding comparisons with other early collections like the Chinese Agamas, strongly suggests that some tampering and additions may have found their way in.

By comparing everything that they have in common, I suppose one could potentially get a clearer picture of what 'presecular' Buddhism might have looked like, but even that will be coloured somewhat by the knowledge and bias of the translators. This brings me to my next qualm, which is that I disagree with many of his translations and interpretations, many of which I feel are based on outdated scholarship.

While people like Mr. T.W. Rhys Davids, Mrs. C. A. F. Rhys Davids, etc. were pioneers in the field of early Pali to English translations, their understanding wasn't as accurate as it is today, in my opinion. For instance, Mrs. Rhys David's understanding of Buddhism was heavily influeneced by Theosophy, which in turn heavily influenced her translations of many key Pali terms and her interpretation of Buddhism as a whole. The same for F.L. Woodward, another pioneering and prolific translator, who was also a Theosophist and, at one time, the principal of the Buddhist Theosophical Society's Mahinda College in Sri Lanka. (Mr. Rhys Davids was apparently not a big fan of Theosophy, so his translations and interpretations were less influenced by Theosophy than his wife or Woodward; but they were still composed at the earliest stages of Western Pali scholarship.)

That in and of itself doesn't mean that their translations are incorrect, but I personally disagree with the extremely metaphysical and pro-self approach the webmaster himself takes, which in my opinion contradicts the Buddha's more pragmatic approach, as well as his blanket condemnation of Theravada as 'annihilationism.' For example, I agree with Thanissaro Bhikkhu, a Theravadin, that "the anatta teaching is not a doctrine of no-self, but a not-self strategy for shedding suffering by letting go of its cause, leading to the highest, undying happiness" (No-self or Not-self?), noting that clinging to the view 'I have a self' is as much of a form of self view as 'I have no self,' and the Buddha clearly states that he can't envision a doctrine of self that, if clung to, wouldn't lead to sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, & despair (MN 22).

In conclusion, I'm sympathetic to his goal of trying to uncover the heart of what the Buddha taught, and can appreciate some of his criticisms, such as those of the later Abhidhammika's (particularly the Sarvastivadin Abhidhammikas, who held a more realist position); but I find his Pali scholarship peculiar, the language on his site unnecessarily controversial and hateful (e.g., calling Bhikkhu Bodhi "Theravada’s ignorant mouthpiece" and "Mara's Right-hand Materialistic whore"), and I'd personally advise a healthy dose of skepticism when exploring his site and videos.
    PrairieGhostRebeccaSInc88
  • SonghillSonghill Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Jason:
    That in and of itself doesn't mean that their translations are incorrect, but I personally disagree with the extremely metaphysical and pro-self approach the webmaster himself takes, which in my opinion contradicts the Buddha's more pragmatic approach, as well as his blanket condemnation of Theravada as 'annihilationism.' For example, I agree with Thanissaro Bhikkhu, a Theravadin, that "the anatta teaching is not a doctrine of no-self, but a not-self strategy for shedding suffering by letting go of its cause, leading to the highest, undying happiness" (No-self or Not-self?), noting that clinging to the view 'I have a self' is as much of a form of self view as 'I have no self,' and the Buddha clearly states that he can't envision a doctrine of self that, if clung to, wouldn't lead to sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, & despair (MN 22).
    From the perspective of an academic, on the question of attâ, it is not black and white. There are no clear-cut statements made by the Buddha where he unambigiously denies the self. There is, however, ample proof that the Buddha denied that his self was connected with the pañcakhandhas.

I would argue that the denial of self is the cardinal tenet of Theravada. But not all Theravadins subscribe to anattavada. The Dhammakaya Foundation is one such example. Other Theravadins have jumped ship also.

Turning briefly to the theory of self found in MN 22 which is attavada this particular theory, which the Buddha rejects, is:
    This the world this the self, after death I will be permanent, lasting, eternal, not liable to change, I will stand fast like unto the eternal—is not this monks entirely and completely a foolish teaching?
    In this same Sutta the Buddha goes on to say that we are to regard each khandha this way: This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self (na meso attâ).
    Songhill said:

From the perspective of an academic, on the question of attâ, it is not black and white. There are no clear-cut statements made by the Buddha where he unambigiously denies the self. There is, however, ample proof that the Buddha denied that his self was connected with the pañcakhandhas.

I agree.
    Songhill said:

I would argue that the denial of self is the cardinal tenet of Theravada. But not all Theravadins subscribe to anattavada. The Dhammakaya Foundation is one such example. Other Theravadins have jumped ship also.

A dominant within current Theravada, perhaps; but it's not like Theravada is the Roman Catholic Church and any other ideas or approaches to the teachings on anatta are tantamount to heresy and necessitate excommunication.
    Songhill said:

Turning briefly to the theory of self found in MN 22 which is attavada this particular theory, which the Buddha rejects, is:

This the world this the self, after death I will be permanent, lasting, eternal, not liable to change, I will stand fast like unto the eternal—is not this monks entirely and completely a foolish teaching?
    In this same Sutta the Buddha goes on to say that we are to regard each khandha this way: This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self (na meso attâ).

From my reading of MN 22, the Buddha is distancing himself from all theories of self, positive or negative. But I can appreciate the idea that the Buddha's teachings on anatta are negating what it isn't self in order to open us up to something permanent, lasting, eternal, and not liable to change.
  • It's very easy to argue about translations. This is a good article outlining some of the difficulties. It's worth a look at the original Pali; doing so gives me the tentative impression that too much verbosity is added to often very sparse texts, and that this goes past the point where the meaning is altered.

However, I expect others here who are experts in the language can talk about these issues with more accuracy.

http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/criticism/translation.htm
    Inc88
  • PrairieGhost:

While translations are, for the most part, following the grammar, many technical terms like jhâna (meditation) and sati (mindfulness), still elude translation. The commentarial literature can be useful, but not always. (Peter Masefield's translation of the Udana Commentary is very useful.)

I don't think one can back-engineer enlightenment by reading the entire Buddhist canon; nor is enlightenment possible without some help from the canonical literature. What, especially, helped me, was learning from a great and wise teacher that a direct intuition of pure Mind (also, luminous Mind) was necessary in order to decipher Buddhism adequately. His advice has proven to be a goldmine.

Incidentally, the reason why I like Tang and Song Chan literature and Tibetan Nyingma and Kagyu traditions is because they keep the home fires of the luminous Mind alive. Western teachers so under emphasize this that one has to wonder seriously if what they teach has any relevance to Buddhism.
    edited September 2012

It's very easy to argue about translations. This is a good article outlining some of the difficulties. It's worth a look at the original Pali; doing so gives me the tentative impression that too much verbosity is added to often very sparse texts, and that this goes past the point where the meaning is altered.

However, I expect others here who are experts in the language can talk about these issues with more accuracy.

http://www.greatwesternvehicle.org/criticism/translation.htm

Yes, translating can be a lot of hard work. I think Ajahn Punnadhammo sums up the difficulty well in his blog post "Reading Suttas":
    Problems of Translation. Never forget that languages are not completely isomorphic. Even the best translation is not completely true to the original, it cannot be. Even if you go to the effort of learning some Pali, you can't escape the problem entirely (although it helps.) It is however important not to become overly reliant on the bare English words which often translate Pali words inexactly. This is not sloppy translation; it is an insoluble problem because some words in Pali have no exact English equivalent. Pali has a very precise technical language for mental states and spiritual phenomena, something which English lacks. To give the most obvious example, dukkha is not the same as suffering. One of the best ways to get around this limitation, at least in part, is to acquire a working vocabulary of technical terms in Pali and refer back to them when in doubt.

Nobody's translations are perfect, but I definitely think some are better than others; and it goes without saying that my approach to, and understanding of, the teachings is heavily influenced by the sources I trust and how I interpret the information I have. The same with everyone else, I suppose, which is why I think discussions like this can be helpful in that they tend to expose us to new idea and perspectives that can potentially broaden our own understanding.

edited September 2012
    And as Songhill says, we're not trying to reverse engineer or crack a code. Like the proverbial whale, we don't have an answer, we have a song.

And to my ear at least, the guy who writes kathodos is singing out of tune.

And as Songhill says, we're not trying to reverse engineer or crack a code. Like the proverbial whale, we don't have an answer, we have a song.

And to my ear at least, the guy who writes kathodos is singing out of tune.

Didn't suggest otherwise.
  • No, you didn't.
    edited September 2012

No, you didn't.

Just wanted to make sure that was clear. I may have miss read it, but I could have sworn your reply initially started with 'but' instead of 'and,' implying there was some level of disagreement on my part which wasn't there. :)
    edited September 2012
    The 'but' followed on from what you said about 'new ideas', basically meaning, yes, new ideas are great, but this kathodos guy's ideas are maybe not so great... I feel as if he sees Buddhism as a DaVinci Code with an answer that everyone's lost without.

But it looked as though I was arguing with you, so I changed it.
  • FWIW, quoted from Kathodos:

"I have encountered statements such as these literally hundreds of times, such as this reply I came across just yesterday: 'Of course I'm an atheist! Buddhism does not depend on idiotic Hindu superstitions.' Confirming yet again among so many other reasons why it has been said “were you to leave dung upon your doorstep would you expect aught but flies to appear before you?' Buddhism today is in name only, it attracts extremely miserable and depressed Atheists, and, in the West and Europe, Christian & Jewish malcontents/rejects. As one Indian philosopher and metaphysician had said: “Buddhism (modern) is an extremely sick religion inhabited by atheists, agnostics, and at best pantheists. They congregate together at ‘dharma-centers’, which are little more than outpatient mental wards for depressed materialists, and engage in idle chatter about attainment of oblivion and the denial of all things spiritual.' "

Hmmmmm. I'm not an expert, but whatever he *is* practicing himself, tolerance and compassion are not a part of it.
    edited September 2012
    I dunno... I kinda think he's on to something there :lol:

But yeah... He seems like a bit of an asshole :)
    jessie70
  • The webmaster of that website definitely isn't the most compassionate person on earth that's for sure but i thought there was a chance he might be on to something.

As for reading material what would you guys and ladies recommend to me for the best Pali translations that don't have external influence from the translator themselves. I know there's a few websites but extended reading online hurts my eyes (even now) and id like a book so it can travel with me :]
    Inc88 said:

The webmaster of that website definitely isn't the most compassionate person on earth that's for sure but i thought there was a chance he might be on to something.

He might be. That's up to you to decide.
    Inc88 said:

As for reading material what would you guys and ladies recommend to me for the best Pali translations that don't have external influence from the translator themselves. I know there's a few websites but extended reading online hurts my eyes (even now) and id like a book so it can travel with me :]

All translations will reflect the influence of the translator. That's just the nature of the beast. Your best option to avoid this is to learn how to translate the Pali texts yourself. But even then, the resources you utilize will have a big impact on how you translate the texts.

As for translations, I personally like Thanissaro Bhikkhu's, many of which can be found online here or ordered in anthology format here. Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of the Majjhima Nikaya isn't bad, either.
  • Jason:
    I personally like Thanissaro Bhikkhu's
    Seconded.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Inc88 said:

The webmaster of that website definitely isn't the most compassionate person on earth that's for sure but i thought there was a chance he might be on to something.

My experience has been, take Teachings serious from someone
    who IS or SEEMS like a compassionate person on earth, haha
    You can see it. You can feel it from them.
    After those two, then check out everything about them.
    It lets you have a pre-view of their view. Helps with
    understanding, between student/teacher/learning.
    No matter what liniage/school/tradition.
    Learning/study is the same concept.

I say with confidence, Buddha would want you to consider
    at least most things about any source. Yes, even him.
    Study is the same as when we all were back in school.
    It's a real pain in the ass to read, review, re-evaluate, find
    the opposing opinion, read other peoples....then try to
    figure it out, absorbe it. Agghhh! My mind is tired.

As usual, Jason gave some great resources, as do most
    people on here. Buddha teaches that it's our responsability
    to check and keep checking that we are practicing/training
    and exposing ourselves skillfully. Whatever teachings you
    like, can be found in book form, most of the time.

Then guess what? We transcend to a mind that does'nt
    know/remember or even needed any/all this info in the first
    place. :)
    Inc88
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    jessie70 said:

FWIW, quoted from Kathodos:

"“Buddhism (modern) is an extremely sick religion inhabited by atheists, agnostics, and at best pantheists. They congregate together at ‘dharma-centers’, which are little more than outpatient mental wards for depressed materialists, and engage in idle chatter about attainment of oblivion and the denial of all things spiritual.' "

This does sound pretty extreme. I wonder which dharma centers this guy has visited?
    ;)
    edited September 2012
    This one, I think.

Inc88tmottes
    Jason said:

All translations will reflect the influence of the translator. That's just the nature of the beast. Your best option to avoid this is to learn how to translate the Pali texts yourself. But even then, the resources you utilize will have a big impact on how you translate the texts.

I've wondered about learning Pali, but would that really solve the ambiguity problem? I mean because the meaning of words is always context dependent, so there would still be a lot of room for interpretation.
    edited September 2012

This does sound pretty extreme. I wonder which dharma centers this guy has visited?
    ;)

I'm sure there are plenty of them. It's the same with universal churches and yoga centers. Whenever you gather "spiritual" people together, chances are its just going to be one huge egocentric circle jerk. Obviously, not all places are like this, but as little as I know about Buddhist Sanghas, I'd bet money on it being the same kind of thing in a lot of places, particularly in the west.
    edited September 2012
    It's like these generic "spiritual" groups. They all sit around talking about "vibes" and "energy" and staring you out under the guise of eye contact and lots of inappropriate violations of personal space with all the hugging. They throw aphorisms and sayings around like "just be in the now" and "everything is perfect". They don't understand self depracating humor, assuming that you just hate yourself simply because they're so insanely arrogant and out of touch with their own feelings. Because they're not allowed to have bad feelings because they "bring down their vibe". Then you get a few beers into them and they start sobbing because they have no idea how to get their shit together and they haven't felt a genuine emotion in years.

Then there's the political "save the world" types who want you all to join hands and end hunger by sending good vibes to Africa. They think they're the saviours of mankind and carry themselves accordingly - usually aloof and dismissive. And they always lean to the extreme left politically, thinking we should all be socialists/communists/Marxists/hunter gatherers. It's a breeding ground for intellectual arrogance, unwashed hair and body modification.

Then there are the "foodies". They have weird diets and judge you because you don't only eat raw kale smushed up with seeds. They talk about "mother earth" and the "goddess" within.

And it's all incredibly fake. Fake smiles, fake happiness, faux-spiritual. Even the urban dictionary has an entry for people under "psuedo-spiritual". The types who write "bless all beings and sunshine, everything is perfect" statuses on their Facebook walls to show everyone how super spiritual they are, but they can't hold a relationship or a job.

There are numerous websites hosted by people who got out of those crowds, it's a really common phenomenon. www.spiritualhangover.wordpress.com (it's neglected now but the small amount of content there is great) and www.recoveringyogi.com to name a couple of my personal favorites.

I imagine it's the same in a lot of Buddhist circles. Political agendas, egocentricity, endless talk about "emptiness", fake smiles and fake people.

Because spirituality usually appeals to broken people. If we didn't feel broken in some way, we probably wouldn't have sought out healing paths in the first place. So there are a lot of broken people, sick people in spiritual groups. It's not weird or bad to acknowledge their presence because they (we) make up most of the community. I don't see why it would be any different because the group is specifically Budhdhist.
    Inc88
  • I agree with RebeccaS. The so-called "Botox smile" is not absent from most Dharma centers. There are exceptions, but they are not easily found.

On average, centers tend to stray into the territory of being out-patient clinics but this is not surprising given the fact that Buddhism, to a large extent, has been psychologized. Out of this psychologized soil can easily grow sham Buddhism which ignores much of the Buddhist canon except for a few discourses.

Incidentally, one interesting thing Kathodos' brand of Buddhism does is offend many of the sham Buddhists who have not seriously studied the canon. On the negative side, the Kathodos guy needs to work on his writing and speaking skills, in addition to the fact that his translations also need work.

edited September 2012
    Songhill said:

On average, centers tend to stray into the territory of being out-patient clinics but this is not surprising given the fact that Buddhism, to a large extent, has been psychologized. Out of this psychologized soil can easily grow sham Buddhism which ignores much of the Buddhist canon except for a few discourses.

What do you mean by psychologized?

• RebeccaS: If my memory serves me well, Gary Snyder was the first persons to warn of the psychologization of Buddhism. http://goo.gl/AbpZc
  • edited September 2012
    @rebeccaS- I agree, I am probably one of the malcontents to which he is referring... :grr: but STILL. Most people are broken in some way or rejecting the religion they grew up with... because... it wasn't working for them.

I don't tend to believe in any one religion because every organized religion seems so clearly self-serving to me, and has since I was about 10 years old. It's like when my kids invented "Gobooo Goo." it was a guy who would come over and break stuff if I (or one of them) didn't do what the other wanted. It was hilarious, and it was like a religion. "Mommy, make me brownies, or Gooboo Goo is coming for you!"

Since something is "un-provable"...how can you bother with it? If God wants my attention he will get it directly. It's hard when you are part of a religiously affiliated community, which I am. When I was young, I read the fable "The Emperor Has No Clothes", and I have pretty much been agnostic bordering on atheist ever since. But I love my family and continue with our traditions... does this make me a malcontent? I'm pretty happy overall. But I admit to having some psychological problems. The secular part of Buddhism has helped me with them to an extent.

I agree that there are too many people out there, looking for the benefits of "spiritual practice" without the actual *practice* part- they want to wear a crystal and feel better. Or maybe it looks cool to have a mandala bracelet. But there are also people willing to commit themselves to different way of living, different decision making, meditation- they are examining their lives with honesty, with introspection. While many others comfortably ensconced in the robes of their religion of origin, questioning nothing. They are not "malcontents", but blind believers... I'm not sure which is less desirable...

At least the people who are grasping at spiritual straws are grasping, and the people turning the "alternative" solutions are seeking, and trying. People are just trying to make themselves happy.
    :rant:
    edited September 2012
    There are genuine people on the path, absolutely. People seeking answers, seeking happiness... Good, kind, honest people.

But there is also a lot of mental illness. People are under the impression that "spiritual" people are the best people in the world, but most of the time, that's completely untrue. People getting offended or "confused" at someone pointing out that very blatant reality is a bit ridiculous to me.

Obviously I don't have to preface every statement I make with "I'm not talking about everyone" (a terrible habit I've gotten into recently) but in this case I'm talking about a majority, at least in my personal experience.

I've met far more mentally ill people than mentally well people. Everyone is trying to make themselves happy, but for an unaware mentally ill person, or, more accurately, any vulnerable person, the modern spiritual pathway can be a dangerous minefield.

The "spiritual" community is absolutely inundated with posers, false gurus and fake, fake people. People who are often desperately unwell. If you're in a vulnerable place in your life you can get taken in by it all.

I don't know why people prefer to deny it, it's staring us right in the face.

Highlighting the deeply unhealthy aspect of the "spiritual" community doesn't negate or oppose the existence of the healthy people who also make up the numbers.

But that person who touches you a bit too often at your spiritual group, makes a bit too much eye contact, tells you that "everything is perfect" while chewing on some seeds, calls herself a "goddess" and clearly hasn't washed her hair in days is probably someone who isn't doing so well on the inside. It's ok to be aware of that. It's also OK to avoid it.

While it's theoretically a positive that they're grasping at spiritual straws, the reality is that they're often not grasping spiritual straws, but bullshit straws.

A recent example comes to mind... I was browsing the forums of one of those star people moon child websites (indigo children I think they're called) and a woman was posting about some pretty concerning physical symptoms... From what she wrote it sounded like she might have a blood clot. But she wasn't calling a doctor, or even asking her community for help, she was boasting that she was exhibiting "signs of ascension" and her community supported her in this ridiculous (and downright dangerous) notion, and congratulating her on her progress.

Other examples include the repressing of emotions, huge amounts of denial and an army of narcissists encouraging people in delusional ideas and fantasies.
    jessie70Inc88
    edited September 2012
    Songhill said:

RebeccaS: If my memory serves me well, Gary Snyder was the first persons to warn of the psychologization of Buddhism. http://goo.gl/AbpZc

That's actually pretty interesting, and wasn't the meaning I inferred from your previous post.

I think I kind of agree with the guy, but I'm not sure that I'd agree that it's necessarily a negative thing.
    edited September 2012
    @Jessie70 Lightworkers are what I'm thinking of! I'm too late to edit now lol.

Yeah, if you want insight into the world of the spiritually sick just give those guys a google. But not right before you go to bed because some of it is plain freaky :lol:
  • edited September 2012
    @RebeccaS: Yes- I totally agree with you. Even on this site, there are times I feel like pointing out, you also can't just sit with *everything* and focus on your breathing... I feel like any problem one could post here will result in at least one or two of those responses... Or the phrase "that is because it doesn't exist" or, how "form is not form... "

It's just not the answer to every situation, IMHO. I see that a lot. And while I respectfully understand there are those out there who truly follow "the Way", there are a lot of people who are dismissing problems of others with the waive of their hand, making a cryptic comment about nothingness. While not as harmful as the "spiritual predators", who feed on people who need help, it's falls under the umbrella you are describing.

Its no picnic.

:banghead:
    RebeccaS
  • @RebeccaS: Did google that: read the first paragraph... LOL! This kind of thing has been going on forever. But there are much creepier. Um... Jamestown? I had a friend who lost a ton of $ to "Landmark" in the 80ies... Just like pyramid schemes, it's like one kind of evil with a thousand faces.
    edited September 2012
    @jessie70 What's Jamestown? Have they built a colony or something? That would be hideous to the point of hilarity.

Oh shit... Unless you meant Jonestown. That's not funny. But it wouldn't surprise me if they went the same way if one of the aliens contacts one of the leaders or something (that's how they communicate, the "Galactic Federation of Light" and "Ashtar Command").

But yeah, spooky, right?! I read a load of their stuff a few months ago, watched some videos by "Lightworkers" and lurked their forums for a while... It's like, mind blowing. And I totally agree with you - it's evil.
  • @RebbecaS- Jonestown... It's late and my mind is very mushy... maybe it's that little pill my Healer gave me LOL
  • You got a pill?! My healer just gave me a stick to wave at the waxing moon :(
  • i luv this guy, he is Really funny.
    'i am the expert on buddha...
    all the buddhist schools are wrong...'
    RebeccaS said:

Like. His arrogance would usually put me off (the intellectually arrogant are the people that annoy me most in the world) but he seems to know his stuff, and what he's actually saying makes a whole lot of sense. Shame about his bloody awful website though :lol: You'd think such a smart guy would know that the Internet moved beyond geocities... :p

RebeccaS
    RebeccaS said:

;)

I'm sure there are plenty of them. It's the same with universal churches and yoga centers. Whenever you gather "spiritual" people together, chances are its just going to be one huge egocentric circle jerk. Obviously, not all places are like this, but as little as I know about Buddhist Sanghas, I'd bet money on it being the same kind of thing in a lot of places, particularly in the west.
    I honestly haven't found this to be the case in the various Buddhist groups I've been involved in - so I wonder what experience he's actually basing his comments on.
  • jessie70:
    It's like when my kids invented "Gobooo Goo." it was a guy who would come over and break stuff if I (or one of them) didn't do what the other wanted. It was hilarious, and it was like a religion. "Mommy, make me brownies, or Gooboo Goo is coming for you!"
    Goboo Goo, you say...?

Oh no... no... I - I thought it was over... :eek: