Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Britishisms and America

2»

Comments

• SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012

Wo u sayin baaat man innit? Nah mayt dialec's s pure pers'nal an aaal dat ting innit, peeples toork da wai dey tork an not nuttin can be dun woteva man. Don get mardeh 'bout it man, Midlans ewe k aksen i goh Londan, Jamaykan, Indyan, Norvan Inglan, Mer'can, pure varitey innit? Wot ewe gan doo, call da feds or sumatt? Wee gorra ruff aksen innit, nevah chane 4 no wan. Peese.

(this is the working class midlands dialect; older white people will sound less Jamaican, older asians and afro-Caribbeans will sound less Northern. Country folks will have less of a London influence than city folks.

Translation: Mardi = bad tempered/moaning (pronounced mardeh). Rough = good/delicious. The feds = the police. Sumatt = something. Pure = complete/very)

Lol call da feds

• BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    federica said:

She was in her mid sixties.... if that helps any.

It helps me to realize that craving leads to suffering.... bwahahahahahaha! :lol:
    RebeccaS
  • SileSile Veteran
    A cute clip on the Wisconsin accent. Many of my husband's relatives say stop-and-go lights ;)

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @Sile I think the Wisconsin accent is so cute. It's very similar to the Minnesotan accent at times. I know it's a parody, but I love the movie Drop Dead Gorgeous where they really play it up...
  • The worst accents are northern British, Scottish and Boston-ish. The northern accent is just horrible, I never know what Scottish people are saying to me and when people from Boston speak my ears actually fold in on themselves :lol:
  • RebeccaS said:

The worst accents are northern British, Scottish, I never know what Scottish people are saying to me :lol:

Keep the heid! Yer Bahooky's oot the windae Its Naw ma fault ye Dinnae undertand Whits comin oot me Geggie

Yeah I'm a Scot :) Hehehehe

Beej
  • None of those were words!

:lol:
    Beej
  • edited October 2012
    RebeccaS said:

None of those were words!

Sorry RebeccaS my fault i really should have translated

Basically i said Calm down your getting in a flap its not my fault you don't understand whats coming out of my mouth

heid = Head
    Bahooky = Bum
    oot = Out
    windae = window
    Naw = Not
    Dinnae = Don't
    Whits = what's
    Geggie = Mouth

Yer Bahooky's oot the windae can mean your getting wound up, or talking Nonsense

There you go Rebecca! a wee insight into Humorous Highland Slang, Unfortunately it does loose some of it's comedic nature when Read instead of being heard

Beej
  • federica said:

No, like I said, it has nothing to do with the accent. Every Australian - has an Australian accent, with regional nuances. (Actually, I see now, I didn't actually mention 'accent' - but no, it's not that.....)
    It's this prevalence of raising the voice - at times to squeal level - at the end of a sentence.
    Many Australians don't do it. A few men do, but many, many women, do. It's just an odd affectation.....

Hi federica, as I said I do not, weird as it sounds hear an Australian accent at all so I do not have much chance of getting what you are referring to - though sometimes in video and film when the characters have a very pronounced difference between an Aussie speaker and others I can hear what you refer to as affectation -not lingual, grammatical or pronunciation exactly, so I guess this is what you are referring to.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    RebeccaS said:

The worst accents are northern British, Scottish and Boston-ish. The northern accent is just horrible, I never know what Scottish people are saying to me and when people from Boston speak my ears actually fold in on themselves :lol:

What's wrong with Scottish? And Geordie is like music to the ears! I'm not that keen on Brummie though.

:p