Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hoarded Ducks See Water for First Time

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I think it's cruel.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Cute, once they got in they took to it like ducks to water.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    vinlyn said:

I think it's cruel.

How is that cruel? They were scared of the water at first, but clearly they loved it once they were in. Is the kind thing then to never expose them to water? Or are you saying don't force them into the water?
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I felt bad for them being chased around, too, but it became pretty obvious that they loved the water once they got past the initial suspicion. It seemed to me as if they were trying to make up for years of not experiencing it--the way they sort of obsessively started washing themselves. It seemed to me they were reveling in the feel of it; their genetics must have been just bursting with the feeling of, "Finally!!" Or, that's how it struck me.

I do agree would be ideal to take a long, patient time getting each duck used to the water; but in the animal-rescue world sometimes things have to be done kind of expediently, so as to be able to move on to rescuing the next batch of critters. Also, sometimes there's something to be said for "getting it over with."
    I have a small parrot, and had parrots previously, as well. Most things that birds do don't need to be taught. They just do it. It's really quite amazing.

One thing my birds usually have needed a little push with is bathing, because they are afraid of it the first time. We all know how birds splash around in a bird bath or shallow water. But my parrots have been rather afraid of getting started with it. Slowly but surely, however, they all do it...in their own time.

There are 2 approaches that people use to get kids to swim. One is to teach them how to swim. The other is to just throw them in the pool while they are screaming. I'm not in favor of the latter...although it does seem to work.

What was done in the video was done for the entertainment of the people.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2012
    (removed)
    I already did.
  • vinlyn said:

I think it's cruel.

How so! being ducklings in the wild their parents would force them into the water in no uncertain terms, to a duck swimming means survival plain and simple.

Minbari, if you disagree with me, that's fine. But, read the thread.
  • SileSile Veteran
    This is why it's hard for me to be an effective animal-rescuer ;) I know that theoretically it's an imperfect world, and that overall more animals will be spared suffering if I'm willing to take less time coaxing each one--but in the moment, it's hard for me to throw the duck in the water.

When one or the other of our two cats would get home from the vet, he'd smell odd to the other, and both would hiss and growl and skulk about miserably as if they'd never met. My mother would spend hours tempting them with yummy things, toys, soothing words, anything to coax them back into loving brotherhood.

I didn't even notice my Dad paying attention to this ritual, but he must have, because one such day as the cats were launching into their usual round of anxieties, and my Mom racing for the treat jar, my Dad went over, picked up both cats, and somehow rubbed them together (no cats were harmed). Within seconds they both smelled exactly the same, and that was the end of the growling.

MaryAnne