Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Neither worldly nor spiritual

Let's say a guy has no interest in anything remotely spiritual, be it prayer or meditation, rituals, religion, whatever. But he isn't a hedonist who believes that the pleasure principle is all there is. Yes, he enjoys art, music, a good movie every now and then, but he has no worldly desire such as the thirst for success, wealth, and all that. In short, he is neither worldly nor spiritual.

How would Buddhists view such a person? Is he a potential buddhist, or just another worldly person (albeit more mature than most worldly persons)?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I never look at a person as a "potential Buddhist", since generally Buddhists do not proselytize.
  • Apathy is not 'more mature'.
    Such a person is idling. Inevitably their circumstances will change.
  • You don't have to be following a spiritual path to be more mature than those on it. Just go to any spiritual group anywhere and you'll see what I mean :lol:
    lobsterhow
  • One of the three motivations to practice Buddhism is traditionally to have a good life in this world. At the same time you don't get the results without study, contemplation, and meditation.
  • Unemployed.
    lobsterGentleJanet
  • One can cling to things worldly and things spiritual. Better the latter that former. But the teachings are like a raft to be abandoned once the goal is achieved for otherwise there is no end to the search/dukkha. See how wise the Buddha was!
    "Monks, I will teach you the Dhamma compared to a raft, for the purpose of crossing over, not for the purpose of holding onto. Listen & pay close attention. I will speak."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.022.than.html

taiyakiGentleJanet
  • lobster said:

Apathy is not 'more mature'.
    Such a person is idling. Inevitably their circumstances will change.

He simply tries to enjoy the finer delights of life such as art, music etc. instead of chasing after success, wealth. He doesn't care for spirituality either. Why is this apathy?

• They are apathetic to others and their real situation. In fact, you are right not apathetic, a wastrel . . .
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Maybe epicurean?
    It propounded an ethic of individual pleasure as the sole or chief good in life. Hence, Epicurus advocated living in such a way as to derive the greatest amount of pleasure possible during one's lifetime, yet doing so moderately in order to avoid the suffering incurred by overindulgence in such pleasure. The emphasis was placed on pleasures of the mind rather than on physical pleasures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicureanism.
    lobstermusicGentleJanet
  • Epicurean wastrel perhaps ;)
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    music said:

In short, he is neither worldly nor spiritual.

Is he a potential buddhist, or just another worldly person (albeit more mature than most worldly persons)?

It's challenging imagining someone who is not worldly - they may not partake in certain 'worldly' activities but where they drop one activity, they pick up another.

Same with spiritual - everyone at some point (to varying degrees) will ponder what this is all about.

I suppose if you're not a buddhist already, you're a potential buddhist.
  • music said:

Let's say a guy has no interest in anything remotely spiritual, be it prayer or meditation, rituals, religion, whatever. But he isn't a hedonist who believes that the pleasure principle is all there is. Yes, he enjoys art, music, a good movie every now and then, but he has no worldly desire such as the thirst for success, wealth, and all that. In short, he is neither worldly nor spiritual.

How would Buddhists view such a person? Is he a potential buddhist, or just another worldly person (albeit more mature than most worldly persons)?

So what does Buddhism think about those who live secular lives, as in not overtly or specifically religious? Maybe the person is an athiest, maybe just not interested in that sort of stuff.

If he's a good person, then he's a good person. Nowhere in the 8-fold path does it say "attend church or temple worship". Buddhists don't have the patent or copyright on enlightenment. We don't tend to think we're the Chosen People with the divine revealed answers and the only path to happiness is through our sacred writings.

But being just people, some of us do think that way even if it's not mandatory. So don't think I'm speaking for all Buddhists.

• music said:

Why would that guy care what a buddhist thought about him? Why would a buddhist see anything other than another being trapped in samsara and deserving of compassion?
  • Music:
    This person falls under the category of assutavâ puthujjano (an uninstructed worldling).
  • Oh, now I know! An Episcopalian or as my wife called them, God's frozen people. :D
    personCinorjer
  • Songhill said:

Oh, now I know! An Episcopalian or as my wife called them, God's frozen people. :D

God's frozen people would be the Swiss. Look at all the snowfall over there.
  • I think it depends on how our hypothetical guy keeps when things in life go wrong.
    When there are no problems, anyone can stay calm.

Gold is tested in fire.
    lobster