Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where do I find a teacher?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
I want to study Tibetan Buddhism, but there are none in the area where I live.

There is a Buddhist community center, but it mostly caters to the Thai and Lao population and is strictly Threvada.

Where can I find a teacher for the Tibetan/Vajrayana school?

Comments

• I am studying a course from Lama Shenpen Hookham of the Awakened Heart Sangha as a distance learner. I have a contact person and can even occasionally write Lama Shenpen. It is a course on the heart of Buddhism as presented to a western audience.
  • You may wanna check out Summit dharma center..
  • Perhaps you could sponsor one and grow in knowledge with them . . . http://jamchoebuddhistdialectics.org/Sponsor%20a%20Nun.htm
    how
  • I recommend you turn to the sacred texts of whatever tradition you wish to follow. The best teachers are the nameless ones, the ones you really have to search out for, but mostly the guide comes as a result of serendipity. There is no sure way to proceed... But still, knowing the texts you know what the teacher should be teaching : ) No academic dares to teach without citations and sources readily available, a Buddhist teacher should be the same.
    oceancaldera207
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    The Buddha's meditation practise is pretty simple. Practise it with sincerity and the teachers crawl out of the woodwork.
    Actually a hermit friend of mine who is a dedicated meditater (but not particularly PC) used to complain that he couldn't even swing a cat without a teacher getting in the way.
    MaryAnnelobsteroceancaldera207
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    Aspire.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    DaftChris said:

You might find this directory useful:
    http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/

• DaftChris said:

You dont at least on this thread, tell us where you live...the general area that is...not your address of course.

There is a Buddhist community center, but it mostly caters to the Thai and Lao population and is strictly Threvada.

Where can I find a teacher for the Tibetan/Vajrayana school?

• Find a teacher that upholds precepts and morality rather than a teacher that appears hip and says things you want to hear.

lobster