Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What languages do you speak/want to learn?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
What languages, other than English, do you speak? If any?

I'm currently learning Spanish, which is no where near as hard as I remembered (my high school teacher was a nightmare) and I'm considering perhaps tackling Japanese or Korean after I get a good grasp on Spanish.

If you don't speak another language, which one(s) do you want to learn and why?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    As a school principal I was not in favor of learning a language for the sake of learning a language. I am in favor of learning a language because you want to. Or because it will assist you in life.

While living in Thailand I began taking Thai lessons. It was practical.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    As a school principal I was not in favor of learning a language for the sake of learning a language. I am in favor of learning a language because you want to. Or because it will assist you in life.

While living in Thailand I began taking Thai lessons. It was practical.
    I agree.

I'm learning Spanish, because it is practical and I find Spanish culture (particularly Mexico and Spain) to be absolutely wonderful. So much that I'm considering celebrating Los Dios de los Muertos and All Saints Day instead of Halloween.

As for Japanese or Korean, a part of it is (admittingly) because of Buddhism in those countries and the other is because of the large Asian population where I live. I want to know what they are saying! :lol:
    Cool!
  • Chris, didn't you already have a thread on a very similar topic? Spanish isn't difficult, but it's very practical, in view of the US' large Hispanic minority, and a whole hemisphere of Spanish-speakers to our south. Just wondering: why have your choices moved to Japanese and Korean, from Chinese, Japanese or Thai? Personally, I'd vote for Chinese, but do whatever interests you.

I used to study languages just for the fun of it, not for any particular reason, but just to "collect" languages, and to pick 'em apart and see what made 'em tick. The more of them you learn, the easier it gets. I think you'll find any of the Asian languages sufficiently interesting and challenging. I'll only warn you, though, that with the visual component, the writing, you have to keep practicing after you're done with your study, in order to maintain the skill. Let it go for a year while you focus on other things, and it's gone, and you have to start over again painstakingly, re-learning all those characters, from Square One.
    edited October 2012
    @Dakini

That was on what language would/could you learn as a Buddhist. This is just more of a generalized "what else do you speak or want to learn"?

And repetition on this site? Never... :lol:

Also, on my moving from language one the other:

Spanish is my current definite one. I'm going to gain some fluency in this one; even if it kills me.

The assortment of Asian languages are just my curiosity and interest trying to find one that resonates with me.
    Dakinisova
  • Why doesn't the "quote" function appear on my screen?

@DaftChris Well, that's good that you have a local population you might be able to practice with, when you learn a language. That's very practical. And I can relate to wanting to know what they're saying. I think that's natural, anytime you find yourself surrounded by speakers of another language. So go for it, and enjoy! :)
  • I speak english, but I'm part hawaiian and would like to learn hawaiian, french, italian, and romainian
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2012
    YESSS!!! ROMANIAN!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    After learning the language, you MUST go to Romania! You'll be glad you did! :)
    sovaNomaDBuddha
    It doesn't appear on mine anymore, either, Dakini.
  • この私は少し日本語分かります~ 日本語は一番大好きな物です、佛教も大事なことです。

I've always loved languages, even when I was in school. I took Spanish for six years and was getting pretty good... but I never put it to any practical use. I started learning Japanese on my own in 11th grade, and took a class my senior year. I've studied on my own ever since... and 10 years later I'm still figuring things out. It was Japanese the brought me to Buddhism, and it's been very handy in the learning process. Though I do have to admit it plays a big role in my bias towards Japanese Buddhism, I know some of the language, and don't want to start over with another. ;)

If it were possible I'd want to learn every language in the world. :) I want to get to the point where I can read Japanese literature without a dictionary... and if I learn some Pali and Sanskrit words i'll be happy as can be.
    DakiniMaryAnne
  • I always wanted to learn Italian (because it's my family's native tongue - just 2 generations before me), so several years ago I tried one of those "Learn Italian" computer/CD courses.... I stuck with it for a while, then kinda lost interest because I had no one else (in real life) to practice with.

Hmmm... maybe I'll dig it out and try again.

I would love to be fluent in Italian and Spanish. But I suspect I just don't have that special language skill gene that so many others have. :(
    @MaryAnne

No worries. I've tried to learn, like, 15 languages since High school.

All of whom have been extremely unsuccessful. :lol:
    MaryAnneEjou
  • No "quote" function here either... and for some reason I had to sign back in this time as well.
    The signing back in thing seems to happen to me every once in a while, which is fine by me. But the no-quote thing is a pain.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I think it's funny how there can (seem to) be different personalities to different languages--my sis and I feel Cantonese and Korean, for example, are delightfully spunky. We feel somewhat empowered by them [well, the few Korean things we can say]. They're irreverent, earthy, petulant and cathartic. You can't sound wimpy very easily when speaking them. On the other hand when wanting to sound uppity, Mandarin was the thing in our neighborhood and many little kids could be heard trying to occasionally lord it over each other in fake Mandarin.

Part of that sense might be due to the fact that many Mandarin broadcasts were thundering in from China proper; the uppity quality had more to do with it's being a preachy propaganda piece, I imagine. Taiwanese Mandarin broadcasts didn't strike us as all that snooty, for example, but the subject matter was also earthier (by far!), so maybe that was part of it. I've definitely heard mainland media, usually in a local dialect, that is also delightfully spunky! Check on the Tom & Jerry cartoons translated into Lanzhou dialect on Youtube, for starters!

I'm kind of with Tolkien on Finnish and Welsh being two of the most beautiful languages.
  • I have thought for a long time that I should really work at getting the hang of English.
    SileEjou
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    @DaftChris - Japanese culture is fascinating, it's really interesting to see a place that basically incubated with Buddhism for hundreds of years, where temples were the original form of education (modern historical surveys are showing this to be true in other parts of the world as well). Basically an uber-happy peoples, but sometimes the whole "keeping appearances" philosophy can backfire.

I really want to study Tibetan! There are some cool websites online, I think I'm gonna have to go out and find a class sometime soon..

Learning languages is really beautiful -- tune in to the sounds and song of a cultural group.. We are really not so different..

it's funny how many arguments can ensue just from birds with different plumage all singing the same song .. when to agree would be harmony

• ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Spanish is my home language, also speak English and some very basic Japanese (hiragana, and katakana reading and common words)

Also if you know Spanish you will understand a 40% of Portuguese, :)

I would love to learn Chinese.
  • I am trying to learn Mandarin. It is hard.
  • Mandarin is out of control hard... I wish I could learn it. :/
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I remember a bit of german. I was over there for 10 weeks. I remember the day when all the sudden I could understand a lot of the radio. Now I have forgotten a lot but some of the words that are more hardwired/charged I can guess at or recall. I used to watch german sesame street haha.
  • Well I obviously speak English, and enjoy doing so :P

I've been dying to learn Esperanto, especially because of how easy it is to learn compared to other languages that I've poked around with.

I'd also like to learn Italian. German or Arabic would be cool one day.

Sadly, I have to admit that I'll never be able to dedicate myself to any of the languages as I have serious issues with keeping myself on track and focused :(
  • lobster said:

I am trying to learn Mandarin. It is hard.

You need a good teacher, that makes all the difference. I didn't think it was hard, except for the writing, arrrghhhhh!! lol!

• SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    sova said:

I really want to study Tibetan! There are some cool websites online, I think I'm gonna have to go out and find a class sometime soon..

Some nice, extra Tibetan resources (sights and sounds to augment your textbooks, lol!)

The massive collection of audio and video conversations, from easy to difficult, at the Tibetan and Himalayan Library: http://www.thlib.org/avarch/mediaflowcat/project_tree.php

Kunleng TV broadcasts: http://www.voatibetanenglish.com/

RFA Tibetan broadcasts (now labeled by dialect--yay!) http://www.youtube.com/user/RFATibetan

Voice of Tibet broadcasts: http://www.vot.org/

Free podcasts (search iTunes store for "Tibetan"), multiple dialects

Great movies like The Cup (in Bhutanese, but very close to Tibetan)

Tibetan songs on YouTube such as the now-famous Shapale:

Tibetan movies on YouTube such as Unpredictable Life (full length):

I've found it's always good to saturate yourself with many different sources for a language--keeps things interesting, and the more of the language you get flowing into your ear, the better, even when you're not specifically "studying!"

• I would like to learn Japanese, Korean, and Manderin. :D