Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

About 1/5 of women have experienced rape?

Is this normal or should we be alarmed?
Fact #1: 18.3 % of women in the United States have survived a completed or attempted rape. Of these, 12.3% were younger than age 12 when they were first raped, and 29.9% were between the ages of 11 and 17. (National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey 2010).
http://www.feminist.com/antiviolence/facts.html#global

Comments

• According to Wikipedia, the U.S. is up there, but not at the top. Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics
  • Frankly we should be horrified.
    We should be compassionate.
    We should practice dilegently.
    The world needs more Bodhisattvas.
  • if there is one thing i have realised is that this world does have some very sick people in it whom would seem to have no moral compass at all, intixicants only add fuel to the fire.
  • You have to take these statistics with a pinch of salt.No doubt some American women would classify attempted bottom pinching as attempted rape.I dont believe Mike Tyson was guilty of rape.That women knew what she was doing when she went into his room alone.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I believe the statistics are based on reported rape to law enforcement, and no, most women are not going to go to cops and report ass grabbing as rape. Also, even if a woman goes to a room with a man intending to have sex with him, but changes her mind before, or even during the act, the second she says "no I don't wanna do this anymore" it is a rape if the man continues (same for opposite sexes, of course). Even sadder, 34% of Alaskan and Native Americans report having been raped. These statistics do include things like date rape, statutory rape, and rape by spouse. They are not just the stats of stranger rape.

It is quite a prevalent belief among younger men (not all, of course) that certain women are asking for it, and that they are entitled to sex if they feel they are teased or whatever. Men I know make these claims, and they aren't the sort of men you'd expect to hear comments like that from. "She was asking for it" is a common phrase. Yes, it happens way more often than most people want to recognize. But even making an assumption that a woman going to a room with a man knew what she was getting into, furthers the problem.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I'm glad zither has been banned so I don't have to deal with responding to that garbage...

To answer your question @hermitwin Yes, it's normal and yes we should be alarmed.

I have a long complicated history with this topic but to make one simple point, rape is so much more common than people realize. I have almost been drugged twice in my life by accepting drinks from guys at a bar. Once, I was actually drugged, but was with my friends so nothing bad happened. The second time, I had already made the rule to never accept another drink from a stranger but my girlfriend thought I was being paranoid and drank the beer. After a few sips, her hands started to go numb and she was shocked. Later that night, this same group of guys got another acquaintance of mine, even though I told her not to drink the beer, but her friends took care of her.

The point is... before those experiences, I really didn't think it was all that common. But I have seen in my life that it is literally everywhere. GHB is not that hard to get since a lot of guys actually take it recreationally.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I'm actually pretty shocked by the number. But I do know a few people who had their drinks spiked, and I suspect it happened to me once (I was already so drunk it was hard to tell, but I got really bad after I took a drink from this guy). But I don't personally know anyone who was raped.

It's a pretty awful statistic if it's correct.

Shall issue states show a lower incidence of rape... I think that law should be passed in every state, and that we should have it here in Canada, too.

http://www.brookings.edu/press/books/chapter_1/evaluatinggunpolicy.pdf
    I don't think it has as much to do with gun law as it does with population. If you look at the states that have shall issue (my state is one of them) they are mostly lower population and lower crime stat states overall. A lot of rape takes place on college campuses, where concealed carry is not allowed. Most educational institutions do not allow guns on the premises. I don't think it would solve much, and actually ill-trained people carrying hand guns out of fear is the last thing we need more people doing. Fear is not a reason to carry a deadly weapon.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Well, that's what they thought so they did a study on a change in law in Florida.

In response to rising rape rates, they trained 10,000 women in the use of hand guns and the rape rate went down by 88%.

And no, people shouldn't be allowed to just carry a weapon. Safe usage is first and foremost. In Canada we have to undertake mandatory gun training and safety courses before we're allowed a license.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I've been sexually assaulted and so have many people close to me. It's not something that people talk about. It was hard for me to even acknowledge it for years. That's why these statistics surprise people. I've never told my mother, it would kill her. I've never told my father. I wouldn't have told my sister except that I couldn't stop crying as I struggled to get ready for work in the aftermath. If I hadn't told her, she probably wouldn't have told me the horrible things that have happened to her. Sometimes I feel like it's just a dirty secret that victims share among themselves.

I've been thinking about getting involved in Project Unbreakable, but somehow, even after 5 years... I just don't feel ready. The whole website is still just one trigger for me, so anyone else with a history of abuse/sexual assault/rape, I highly recommend exercising caution to avoid triggers.

If you read through the comments on On Being a Queer Survivor from the Autostraddle article, you will see again, just how common this is.
    If it works so well, why is Florida consistently in the top 5 for rape stats in the US? I've read the study, if it's the one they did in the 90s. It doesn't hold up, we studied it in my soc classes, and there are numerous problems with it. If it's a more recent one, I'd love to read it if you have a source.

Classes and training are required here, too. But knowing how to shoot a gun does nothing to prepare you for how to react if you are raped. Most of the time, guns are used to stop robberies and burglaries, not rapes. I have a conceal carry permit. But I most certainly wouldn't carry it when I went to the bar or something, and many situations where a rape occurs would not be a situation the average woman would, or should, be carrying a gun in.
    I carry pepper spray. I know it doesn't have the stopping power of a gun, but you know, I imagine it'd at least give me a good chance at getting away. I can't imagine a bunch of capsaicin in my eyes, or my lungs...
  • Yeah, that's the study I was looking at.

But the data still holds across other states regarding numerous crimes.

Anyway, I don't want to derail. I just think that as women we should take all steps that we can to protect ourselves. There are a lot of idiots out there (remember the "your body shuts down during "real" rape guy?) and I just feel that if we're comfortable using our guns we should be able to.

But that's just one of many changes I'd like to see in response to this issue.
    Capsaicin is absolutely debilitating. A person can't not stop to address it, and yes allows more than a good chance of getting away from many situations. I've had the unfortunate experience of grinding dried habeneros and accidently rubbing my eye many hours later (and after thoroughly washing my hands) and it was so painful I wasn't sure I hadn't damaged something. It took more than 15-20 minutes of rinsing it under the shower to even be able to open it. More than effective, as long as you get can to it.
  • "Other studies of the annual incidence of rape find it to be closer to 5% (compared to the 3% in the DOJ study). "

There are two issues here. First, any statistic put out by an organization with an agenda needs to be examined closely. The 18-20 percent I read about was from a small survey of girls in college, and the "definition of attempted rape" that is used is never defined. I saw one questionaire in college that equated sexual assault with rape, and went on to define assault as "any contact the male initializes that makes you uncomfortable or if you've drank enough to feel out of control, even if the boy stops when told or is interrupted." So these college studies all have to been taken with a bit of skepticism.

But that doesn't mean questioning the bias of the study is the same as minimizing the problem. As a man, I don't have to worry about someone refusing to take no for an answer. I'm well aware women live with a fear that I don't give a thought to, unless I end up in prison. Add this stupid Republican white male insistance on "only violent rape is valid" and rape pregnancies should be seen as "gifts from God" and I have to feel compassion for all the women of the world.

RebeccaS
  • Quite stupidly, it's actually harder to get pepper spray than it is to get a handgun in canada, as pepper spray is classified as a prohibited weapon :shake:

The other issue with pepper spray is also, obviously, range. You can point a gun at a man from 40ft. You need to be in fairly close proximity to be within range of the effects of pepper spray.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I am so sorry ladies :(:(:(
    karasti said:

Capsaicin is absolutely debilitating. A person can't not stop to address it, and yes allows more than a good chance of getting away from many situations. I've had the unfortunate experience of grinding dried habeneros and accidently rubbing my eye many hours later (and after thoroughly washing my hands) and it was so painful I wasn't sure I hadn't damaged something. It took more than 15-20 minutes of rinsing it under the shower to even be able to open it. More than effective, as long as you get can to it.

Good to know. I carry it on my keychain and it's basically one flip of a switch and ready to go. I imagine it'd take me as much time to get it ready as it would to get a gun out and turn the safety off.

As a weird alternative, a friend of mine is practicing throwing knives and has a little set. I think she's doing it more because of interest than actual safety though.
    RebeccaS
    Depending on the exact canister, they can be effective up to 15 feet. Not the same as a gun by any means, but a man isn't going to rape you from 40 feet, either, lol. I think the most effective means to prevent rape is education/prevention. Even in the most aware person, you just can't predict behavior, especially if you feel you know someone (since so many offenders are known to the victim). While it is never the fault of the victim, there are ways to keep yourself our of bad situations, especially when making decisions regarding drinking/drugs.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    karasti said:

Of course, you better be sure the wind is not blowing in your direction.

RebeccaSzombiegirl
    edited October 2012
    karasti said:

Depending on the exact canister, they can be effective up to 15 feet. Not the same as a gun by any means, but a man isn't going to rape you from 40 feet, either, lol. I think the most effective means to prevent rape is education/prevention. Even in the most aware person, you just can't predict behavior, especially if you feel you know someone (since so many offenders are known to the victim). While it is never the fault of the victim, there are ways to keep yourself our of bad situations, especially when making decisions regarding drinking/drugs.

Oh yeah, I basically only carry it for the thought of "rapist jumping out of the bushes" type situation. I've had it for years and have never had to use it, but just carrying it DOES make me feel better. My apartment has a little laundry room outside my building and I feel safer carrying it with me. I work late and although it's not a long walk from my car, you never know. It's MOSTLY for my peace of mind.

I'm super paranoid and look around me at all times for movement. I blame too many zombie video games. Anytime there is a man around me, I grip my pepper spray. I don't care if I offend anyone, sometimes I think it's better if they notice.

I live in Detroit so I just assume more people have guns here... A friend of mine laments that in her neighborhood, she's hears people shooting them off all the time. I don't want to carry a gun because I think that's the best way to get shot. Not that I would do this, BUT if I was carrying and so was the other person, I think I'd have a better chance of getting away by disabling their vision than shooting them so they could turn around and shoot me back. But of course, thinking about these types of things is pretty pointless because that sorta stuff happens so fast and would probably never go the way you think.
  • The statistic I read back in the 90's for college women was 1/3 have experienced rape or attempted rape. And roughly a third of college men said they would rape a woman if they knew they would get away with it.

There's something wrong with the way boys are being raised in our society. There needs to be more parental involvement and positive modeling for boys, and alternatives to the macho-man/stud image.

• Dakini said:

The statistic I read back in the 90's for college women was 1/3 have experienced rape or attempted rape. And roughly a third of college men said they would rape a woman if they knew they would get away with it.

There's something wrong with the way boys are being raised in our society. There needs to be more parental involvement and positive modeling for boys, and alternatives to the macho-man/stud image.

I'd like to think the problem in this case is more along the line of, the boys are not taking the survey seriously so they are answering sarcastically. I mean, come on. "IF you could get away with it..." is a stupid question, and they know it. In my college days I was surrounded by normal people, not raving sociopaths. But these are college surveys and notoriously off the curve in results.
  • I can't imagine 1/5 of the guys I knew would rape somebody. Just imagine that your dad or brother raped someone. I couldn't believe it.
    Well 1 in 5 women being raped doesn't mean the rapists equate to 1 in 5 men being rapists.
  • I dread to think what the numbers would be if all rape was reported , I was raped in a really degrading manner by my violent ex husband , I went to the police for help they said they'd have to tell him about my complaints against him which would of meant another beating so I left it , and when I went to court to get an injunction to make him leave the house the judge just said it was a serious aligation but still wouldn't throw a man out of his own home and just granted me an anti molistation order so he d be arrested if he hit me again ....I got a good beating for that too .....woman are nt always taken seriously enough
    You have to be careful with statistics, after all, 3/4 of them are made up anyways... ;)

But seriously, I've heard of the study that Dakini is referencing (although I don't remember the exact percentage) and I wish I could remember where I read it! It had something to do with almost all men would say that they would never rape someone, but when they removed the word 'rape' and talked about specific scenarios (like: girl passed out at a party) their opposition changed drastically. I don't have time right now, but I'll try and see if I can find more info later. Maybe @Dakini could look too.
    Okay, I messed some stuff up in that above post... We weren't thinking of the same thing at all. I found the article I was thinking of. But it wasn't concerning how many men WOULD rape, it was concerning how many would admit to rape so long as the word "rape" wasn't used. (1 in 20, by a conservative estimate, btw) But the post is actually about rape jokes... but anyhoo, still interesting to read, I guess.
  • carolann said:

I dread to think what the numbers would be if all rape was reported , I was raped in a really degrading manner by my violent ex husband , I went to the police for help they said they'd have to tell him about my complaints against him which would of meant another beating so I left it , and when I went to court to get an injunction to make him leave the house the judge just said it was a serious aligation but still wouldn't throw a man out of his own home and just granted me an anti molistation order so he d be arrested if he hit me again ....I got a good beating for that too .....woman are nt always taken seriously enough

Carolann, are you safely away from the man now?
    carolann said:

I dread to think what the numbers would be if all rape was reported , I was raped in a really degrading manner by my violent ex husband , I went to the police for help they said they'd have to tell him about my complaints against him which would of meant another beating so I left it , and when I went to court to get an injunction to make him leave the house the judge just said it was a serious aligation but still wouldn't throw a man out of his own home and just granted me an anti molistation order so he d be arrested if he hit me again ....I got a good beating for that too .....woman are nt always taken seriously enough

:( I'm sorry to hear of your struggles. I've heard similar things of how it's hard to be taken seriously when you're dating/married to the person. I know someone who was forcibly impregnated (rape with the intention of getting her pregnant). And it was a very difficult situation to handle for her... :shake:
  • Yes i m away from him now ......just moved on and married a bully ....i believe i should be and stay single lol
    So sad that these things happen and women still aren't taken seriously. Perhaps there is something built into our biology on men wanting to control women, and why it's such a hard lesson for them to learn because they resist giving it up (as always, I don't mean all men, just talking in general terms here).

Rape and non-consensual sex is a huge fantasy for men. If you ever read online fantasy sites where people write stories, rape/non-consent (such as someone who is passed out) are very popular and almost always highly rated. Not that that is conclusive proof of anything, just an interesting tidbit. I think a lot of men think about it, but would be ashamed to admit it. Obviously there is a huge step between a fantasy and acting out, but many criminal sexual acts start off as fantasy and progress to having the guts and the opportunity to try it. And no, I'm not saying everyone who has ever had a "rape fantasy" will eventually act it out or anything.
  • I am so sorry for what the survivors here have been through. If you haven't already, please seek skilled support. You are not crazy, damaged, etc - you are important and valuable, and deserve good services, simple as that. If you don't get what you need first time, keep looking. Don't listen to anyone who says your situation wasn't 'as bad as' someone else's either.

I am not going to go into detail as it could be used to identify me, but my job is involved in this issue. I don't want to take away from what the others are saying, but I will say that most rapists are someone you know, so a concealed carry permit* would seem to be of limited use. The rapist who jumps out of the bushes is very rare. Most people aren't going to shoot a family member or friend. I say 'people' because it is not just a women's issue - it can and does happen to many men, probably far more than we can know, as children and as adults.

And karasti is right - most rapists do it more than once. And whether you think the men you know couldn't be rapists isn't really the issue - rapists, like abusers, and sex traffickers, are often master manipulators and people who everyone else likes - so the victim is not believed. (Sadly I have got to the point now where meeting a charming man is actually a red flag for me. I am more comfortable with someone who has a more usual level of insecurity. I realize that's messed up and usually manage to catch myself and try to just respond to people in a mindful manner. But certainly anyone who tries to pressure you in any way is a red flag, and that can sometimes go with 'charming' behavior.)

Reporting is also often of limited use because so many cases involve alcohol, consent to some things but not others, previous consent, an already existing relationship, etc. and it's difficult to prosecute, even if the authorities are on board, which they often aren't, especially if you are not a 'good victim' - i.e. people who had drunk alcohol or taken drugs, had a previous relationship, been involved in sex work, been fashionably dressed, etc. have more problems.

*I do carry pepper spray and probably would carry a gun if I could, however. I have also considered gun ownership for my home. I'm not sure if this would help, but I have considered it.
    RebeccaSzombiegirl