Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

One month sober

So today is exactly one month since I quit drinking through the assistance of Alcoholics Anonymous. It has been a freaking ordeal, but it's pretty hard to believe a month has already passed. Thinking after I find work it will be easier to stay sober.

As an update for those who know a little more about me, I'm coming along really well. Here's a picture of me for those who are interested :P

Anyways, it feels good to not be drinking anymore, no more hangovers or constant anxiety attacks or drunk driving. I feel like it is affecting my skin and hair as well, which is always a good thing lol I've been sharing a lot of buddhist principles with the AA groups and a lot of people really like them, particularly the 2nd and 3rd noble truths. thanks for all the support everyone :)
robotzombiegirllobsterToshRebeccaSzenffsovaDavetheseekerRodrigoMaryAnnemaarten

Comments

• Sadhu !
    Toshsova
  • Congratulations!

My best suggestion.. stick with the women.

Many newcomers come in, get twisted up with their gender of choice with sex and all and end up never coming back.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Not you as well, Tali!!! :D

Here, well done. It takes some guts to go to an A.A. meeting, but I know you're not short of that.

I wish you well on your A.A. journey. I think A.A. is fantastic; I owe it my life.

Nice pic too; you look very pretty and feminine.

Regards

Tosh
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Congratulations! Isn't it nice to take control of your life and feel you're moving in a positive direction? :D Glad to hear you're doing so well, keep it up!
  • Thanks for sharing your success. This is Buddhism. We change. Bravo.
  • Congratulations! Best of luck on your journey :)
  • Talisman said:

Thinking after I find work it will be easier to stay sober.

Boredom is a killer for alkies; so I agree with you that things will be easier if you're kept occupied. However, for a long term solution I found that I had to change on the inside. I think the Four Noble Truths and A.A. are harmonious, for example the Big Book teaches that our drinking is just a symptom of a deeper problem - it calls it the 'spiritual malady' - and I think that's synonymous with the pervasive suffering that I was taught about in Buddhism.

I treated my 'spiritual malady' aka pervasive suffering by finding a good Big Book sponsor and doing the 12 Steps. Although there's the 'God' word, if you remove all the fluff you find elements of Tonglen practise and a daily practise of mindfulness, meditation, prayer, and practising real compassion all in those 12 Steps/Big Book. The 12 Steps make us look to our past - to learn - and to amend situations to those we've harmed (which also heals us).

It's a very powerful process, IME. One thing I like about the 12 Steps is that it's not an intellectual process (something which I found Buddhism can be too much of (I studied a foundation course in Gelug Buddhism; quite scholastic)); A.A. is a program of action - not beliefs or intellectual understanding - and it works.

A.A. does not try to change our thinking to change our actions; it changes our actions which changes our thinking. I find it a profound process. I also think you'd be a huge asset to A.A.; we need people from diverse backgrounds to help with the next newcomer who comes to A.A. with a case of terminal uniqueness; we need you to recover from your alcoholism (we recover through the Steps) and then for you to help the next 'Talisman' who comes in through the door.

And you know, weird as this may sound, my alcoholism is the best thing that's ever happened to me. It's forced me to learn a whole different way of life than how I used to live; it's changed my thinking at a molecular level. I think it may even have saved my life. If I wasn't an alcoholic I may have just thrown myself into sex, work, money, exercise - and when all those things stopped working, who knows? I may have killed myself.

I've been given a new freedom, and not just from alcohol.

lobster
  • Congrats!!!!!!! I know how hard it is and you should be very proud of yourself for your great accomplishment.

I've had a hard time in my life recently, but never forget each 24 hours sober is a great thing.

To me the 1st Nobel Truth holds so much meaning, we cause our own suffering. You've done awesome in lessening your suffering, keep up the great work.
    lobster
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    Good for you.
    Yes, I can imagine it was freaking ordeal. I quit smoking cigarettes and that is nothing compared to your effort and success. Good job.
  • @Talisman

Congratulations on taking your first steps trudging the road to happy destiny :-)

I have just marked my fourth birthday since putting the drink down and have reflected on the incredible changes sobriety and a spiritual path have wrought in my life. So I implore you, stick with it, stick with it, stick with it.

It's a big crutch you have just cast aside and naturally you may wobble from time to time. Don't hesitate to reach out to people in the fellowship, friends, family, this forum. There are many people you wish you well and who are willing to help.
    MaryAnne